Thursday Night Throwdown 08/12: Madden NFL 11

• 78 results
Posted by Ryan (2278 posts) -

So, OK, Giant Bomb's not really known for its sports-game prowess. Jeff has a long-standing love affair with Blitz, Ryan has been known to dabble in the occasional tennis or golf game, and we're all pretty jazzed about the return of NBA Jam, but  when it comes to the big-name, pure sports simulations, they're just not in our wheelhouse. 

That said, even we could not deny the siren call of a new Madden game, and we figure, hey, there will always be plenty of time for more shooters and racing games, so why not mix it up a little bit and play some Madden NFL 11 for this week's Thursday Night Throwdown? Rest assured, you very probably won't have to watch any of us fumble around with a game based on a sport that we have only the most tenuous of grasps of, which is why we've brought in Screened.com's golden boy Alex Navarro to play our armchair quarterback for tonight's show.  

We'll be playing the Xbox 360 version of Madden NFL 11, so if you want a chance to get in on the action, send a friend request to GBTNT and clear your schedule between 4PM and 6PM Pacific Daylight Time. Of course, you can also watch our expertly commentated live stream in the video player below and kick it in our Official Giant Bomb Justin.tv Channel chat room.

The gridiron mayhem kicks off tonight at 4PM! MADDEN FEVER! CATCH IT!

UPDATE: Show's over, folks! You can still enjoy a little instant-replay action, and be sure to catch our next edition of I Love Mondays to find out what we'll be playing on next week's Thursday Night Throwdown! 

Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (2278 posts) -

So, OK, Giant Bomb's not really known for its sports-game prowess. Jeff has a long-standing love affair with Blitz, Ryan has been known to dabble in the occasional tennis or golf game, and we're all pretty jazzed about the return of NBA Jam, but  when it comes to the big-name, pure sports simulations, they're just not in our wheelhouse. 

That said, even we could not deny the siren call of a new Madden game, and we figure, hey, there will always be plenty of time for more shooters and racing games, so why not mix it up a little bit and play some Madden NFL 11 for this week's Thursday Night Throwdown? Rest assured, you very probably won't have to watch any of us fumble around with a game based on a sport that we have only the most tenuous of grasps of, which is why we've brought in Screened.com's golden boy Alex Navarro to play our armchair quarterback for tonight's show.  

We'll be playing the Xbox 360 version of Madden NFL 11, so if you want a chance to get in on the action, send a friend request to GBTNT and clear your schedule between 4PM and 6PM Pacific Daylight Time. Of course, you can also watch our expertly commentated live stream in the video player below and kick it in our Official Giant Bomb Justin.tv Channel chat room.

The gridiron mayhem kicks off tonight at 4PM! MADDEN FEVER! CATCH IT!

UPDATE: Show's over, folks! You can still enjoy a little instant-replay action, and be sure to catch our next edition of I Love Mondays to find out what we'll be playing on next week's Thursday Night Throwdown! 

Staff
#2 Posted by cap123 (2467 posts) -

FOOTBALL

#3 Edited by thejamster (270 posts) -

yeah......football......

#4 Posted by Wortdog (39 posts) -

Not a huge fan of Madden....but I love watching these Throwdown videos. 

#5 Posted by Sanious (799 posts) -

Boo sports.

#6 Posted by PAPI_D_187 (51 posts) -

Are you ready for some fooootbawwwllzzz?!?!?!?

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19418 posts) -

I don't think anyone saw this coming.

#8 Edited by phrosnite (3509 posts) -

I find it funny that ameracans call this sport football but make fun of soccer which we call football here. Also we call your "football' rugby.

#9 Posted by ch13696 (4761 posts) -

I guess I'll be the first to say it, yet I don't care because I don't play sport games, where's the PS3?

#10 Posted by Atomasist (2793 posts) -

I demand that someone open the show singing, "Are You Ready For Some Football".

#11 Posted by carlthenimrod (1604 posts) -

Montana back to pass?

#12 Posted by Ryan (2278 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" I find it funny that ameracans call this sport football but make fun of soccer which we call football here. Also we call your "football' rugby. "
I find it funny that Europeans insist on bringing this up any time anyone ever mentions American Football.
Staff
#13 Edited by FunExplosions (5535 posts) -

That was pretty damn good.

#14 Edited by mm665 (426 posts) -

Why Ryan refers to himself in third person ?

#15 Posted by Grimjim8000 (101 posts) -
@mm665: ryan is insane clearly :P
#16 Posted by skrutop (3811 posts) -

Madden fever!  Contract it!

#17 Posted by mm665 (426 posts) -
@Grimjim8000: Or this is someone else's writing :O
#18 Posted by smcn (949 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" I find it funny that ameracans call this sport football but make fun of soccer which we call football here. Also we call your "football' rugby. "
This has to be the worst nationalism troll attempt I've ever seen.
#19 Posted by PLWolf (965 posts) -

I knew I should have taken today off for a chance to play Alex in some Madden. I hope you guys will play some Online Team Play as well. I figure that's the best way to get more folks involved.

#20 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

COME TO STARBASE GET BODIED!!

#21 Posted by Shadow_Drone (30 posts) -

I'm not real big on playing madden games, but i do like me some foosball, and i outright love me some Thursday Night Throwdown, no matter what's being played. count on me cheering on in the chat room!

#22 Posted by dexterslu (304 posts) -

I'm wondering they are going to dress Kessler up in a cheerleading outfit, I mean, it seems like the right time to do it..

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I guess I'll be the first to say it, yet I don't care because I don't play sport games, where's the PS3? "
Second week in a row that PS3 has been pushed aside. 
#24 Posted by Zidane_24 (750 posts) -

Might be the first TNT I skip, gonna have to see how the commentary is...tough to top the first hour of the BF:BC2 TNT, I think.
#25 Posted by Robitt (365 posts) -
@dexterslu said:
" I'm wondering they are going to dress Kessler up in a cheerleading outfit, I mean, it seems like the right time to do it.. "
YES! HOT!
#26 Posted by Bionicicide (1230 posts) -
#27 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3765 posts) -
@Bionicicide said:
" I'll put my nomination here for Monday Night Combat as next week's TNT. "
I second this motion.
#28 Posted by Shasam (494 posts) -

BOOM! 

Madden...

#29 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2830 posts) -

You guys should have Brian Ekberg show up, him and his beard.

#30 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -
@Bionicicide said:

" I'll put my nomination here for Monday Night Combat as next week's TNT. "

That sounds weird when you pronounce the words in the acronym.

edit: wow last week was BFBC2? And I missed it?! Aw fuck me!
#31 Posted by Dirty_Harry (714 posts) -

I hope they finally shave Kesslers head!

#32 Posted by Lobster_Ear (303 posts) -

No banner?

#33 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1722 posts) -
@Dirty_Harry said:
"I hope they finally shave Kesslers head! "

An nice send off for the end of his internship.
#34 Posted by silentghost227 (81 posts) -
@MrKlorox:  The first hour of the BF:BC 2 TNT may have been the greatest tnt they have done. You should definitely check it out if you get the chance. 
#35 Edited by tallTuck94 (584 posts) -
@smcn: also rugby is nothing like american football so he double failed
#36 Posted by danimal_furry (1490 posts) -

i want to play as brett favre. (insert dirty pictures)

#37 Posted by MeatSim (10989 posts) -

Are you ready for some video football?

#38 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1722 posts) -

Oh God, the horrible face.

#39 Posted by SuBsTaNcE (52 posts) -

They went and broke it

#40 Posted by mosespippy (4746 posts) -

I'd love to watch the Giant Bomb guys throw down in some football, but there is an actual football game tonight. Even though my beloved Calgary Stampeders aren't playing, the team biting at their heels for first place is playing, so it's an important game to watch.

#41 Posted by RTSlord (1227 posts) -
@Lobster_Ear said:
" No banner? "
yeah, i love the banners@Resident4t said:
" You guys should have Brian Ekberg show up, him and his beard. "
HELL YES!
#42 Posted by mosespippy (4746 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
As someone who plays actual rugby I find this offensive. Call "American Football" by it's proper troll name, Handegg.
#43 Posted by nickux (1457 posts) -

The, SPORTS.. announcer. Sounds! Really. STRANGE.

#44 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -

Sorry but I've got to listen to dudes talk about space travel. This will have to come second.

#45 Edited by SleepyDoughnut (1270 posts) -

Boo Patriots. Also, this TNT is happening ONLY because of Alex Navarro. I remember him, Rich, and Eckberg in a Madden livestream back in the Gamespot days.

#46 Posted by BagManForHire (477 posts) -

whooo we win!!!

#47 Posted by SuBsTaNcE (52 posts) -

I have a 6 pack of heineken, a share bag of doritos and TNT madden, My own little USA in manchester, england :)

#48 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3088 posts) -

action PACKED

#49 Posted by XxXGenesisXxX (110 posts) -

Amen to that

@Ryan said:

" @phrosnite said:
I find it funny that Europeans insist on bringing this up any time anyone ever mentions American Football. "

#50 Posted by Kamikaze_Tutor (159 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.