Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Shepard talks too much...

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ruiner

It's more that he talks too much on his own. In the other games, Shepard never said a word that i didn't choose. And I loved it. You really felt like you were crafting a personality. But as i play the demo Shepard is talking to Anderson and saying things "My Shepard" would never say. or at the very least saying it in a tone my Shepard would never say it in. My Shepard never respected Anderson, and he wouldn't talk to him with any sort of reverence. And in part 1 and 2 that was never a problem....I feel like with them taking so many liberties it's breaking my connection to the character in a small way...

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

That's what happens when BioWare make dialogue choices totally optional, they stop caring about it.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

How dare he declare things to be his favorites without me telling him to say so!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

That picked my interest, too, but I heard it's mostly for the demo.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

The demo IS NOT representative of the final product.

They removed 'investigate' along with PLENTY of dialogue options in the demo. They have said that.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I would also like to point out:

How much talking did Shepard do when the Normandy was being blown the fuck up? Oh what? We got three places to pick lines and there were only two options each? Ok I'll just keep freaking about the ME3 DEMO INTRO SEGMENT!!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ruiner

@SteamPunkJin: he didn't do much talking period in that segment..and everything that was said was my choice...that's important when you've been a backstabbing jerk for two games....you can't instantly start caring for the space Bill Cosby...it's inconsistent...

: if that's the case them I'm cool with it...the demo was pretty good other than that little complaint

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AngelN7

It' a demo it so obvious that they took a lot the branching dialog from it , even in most of the scenes when you can choose your dialog you only got 2 options stop freaking about it also that was just the intro segment dammit people! , I thought the demo was awesome.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Freshbandito

God dammit what is it with Bioware games bringing out all the Aspergers around here? The demo has taken alot of the conversation options away from you as it's an early build and they want to keep them away from you until the full game.

You could never affect the tone shepard took, you selected renegade or paragon and were rewarded with the option of punching some bitch with a camera or Zaeed respectively, it sounds like you're just freaking out because the demo that builds a character for you instead of importing your choices didn't tailor itself to take into account your neurosis riddled psyche when it comes to a character you've grown too attached to. Step away from the game man, you've become too invested! play some Tiger woods or Audiosurf.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ruiner

@Freshbandito: ...how am I freaking out? I voiced a concern I have based on Bioware's track record of taking away feature i enjoy.

also Shepard tone was always different depending on your choice... Renegade options were angry, disrespectful, or aggressive. Paragon options were courteous, appreciative and supportive....

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Freshbandito

@The_Ruiner: All I know is one of them lets you headbutt a krogan and that's something we can all appreciate and brings us closer together, hug?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By altairre

@Dany said:

They removed 'investigate' along with PLENTY of dialogue options in the demo. They have said that.

Really? God dammit, Bioware´s marketing is such a shit show just like it was when ME2 came out. That´s so incredibly dumb. Thanks for pointing it out though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

I understand what you're saying, but I felt he always had an odd twist to the things you choose.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Deranged

@Dany said:

Really? Thats good news but strange at the same time.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@NTM: Definitely. Sometimes choosing a 'paragon' option made him sound like a complete asshole in ME2, and vice versa.

MrNeoshredder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrNeoshredder

Well judging from the dumbing down.... oh I'm sorry, "streamlining" of the RPG elements from the first game to the second game, it looks like they might be trying to dumb it down a little more to appeal to a wider audience, at the price of...you know...making the game shit.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By N7

Yeah, I also thought the demo was a perfect representation of the final product.

I hear My Shepard's voice inside my head My Shepard talks to me My Shepard understands HE TALKS TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

@MrNeoshredder said:

Well judging from the dumbing down.... oh I'm sorry, "streamlining" of the RPG elements from the first game to the second game, it looks like they might be trying to dumb it down a little more to appeal to a wider audience, at the price of...you know...making the game shit.

You didn't read what I said? Also trimmed down RPG elements? Have you played the demo?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@TEHMAXXORZ: Actually, I liked it when I chose paragon and he seemed somewhat bad ass, like in Omega. What I didn't like so much was when I chose paragon, because I want to be good, and he either sounds like a coward, or ignorant. More so the ignorant one. Then again, either way, paragon or renegade, he can sometimes sound ignorant when the gamer knows exactly what's going on.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

@MrNeoshredder said:

The original game wasn't really much of an RPG anyway. The only issue is that Mass Effect 2 almost did away entirely with the RPG elements. I'd say it looks there's actually more options in Mass Effect 3. But, the final game has yet to be released, so we'll see how that pans out. I'm just excited for weapons customization.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

@Dany said:

It's useless trying to get anything into their thick skulls. You'd better off teaching a rock how to bark.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#22  Edited By megalowho

I haven't tried the demo yet, trying to go in cold, but it did worry me when Casey Hudson or whomever would say in interviews that they really wanted to flesh out Shepard as a more emotional character and not just an avatar in this game. I picture sappy speeches and past revelations that may not necessarily fit in with someone's Shepard, or at least how they've built him up over the course of two games, and OP pretty much confirms these fears. Having him become more of an outwardly talky 'character' is something that could easily go either way with ME3, I think.

Yes it's a demo, but it seems like this is a conscious storytelling/design choice too. Hopefully they've found the right balance to make it work.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By actionTACO

can shepard have sex with a geth in the demo?

this is very important to me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By CL60

@Mordukai said:

@Dany said:

It's useless trying to get anything into their thick skulls. You'd better off teaching a rock how to bark.

Yeah. It's been said numerous times all over the place that they removed dialogue stuff from the demo, but I still constantly see people complaining about how Shepard doesn't have many dialogue options. I also see a ton of people complaining about how they're dumbing the game down. When they actually are making the upgrade stuff more like Mass Effect 1. Which is what they fucking wanted. Good combat apparently has no place in RPGs, and if an RPG has good shooting mechanics rather than broken ones like in ME1, it's dumbed down and no longer an RPG.

I hate people.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chop

@actionTACO said:

can shepard have sex with a geth in the demo?

this is very important to me.

Judging from the way Bioware like to talk, it sounds like Shepard can probably have sex with anyone or anything. I'm personally looking forward to getting down with the Normandy's FLT drive.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kermoosh

well the planet was pretty much being annihilated at the moment, so you can't expect him to retain his sense of humor or whatever

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Kazona

I am going to laugh so hard at all the haters if this game reviews better than the second one and all their naysaying ends up just making them look like fools.

On the other hand, I am going to be a very sad puppy if it turns out to be garbage. A very sad puppy indeed.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By drac96

This isn't exactly related to Shepard talking too much, but did they take out the little hacking mini-game for the sake of the demo too? It seemed kind of weird for the omni-tool to glow near the door until it opened, but I can't say I'd miss the hacking mini-game very much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.