Sad Trombone: Neither Metal Gear Solid: Rising Nor Kojima's Newest Game Will Appear at E3

• 74 results
Posted by Alex (1933 posts) -

We already knew that Hideo Kojima was planning to stay in Japan for this year's E3, and that such far-flung nonsense as a Metal Gear Solid 5 wouldn't make its debut at the show. Even still, hope still existed that perhaps, just maybe, Kojima Productions might give fans a new look-see at Metal Gear Solid: Rising, which hasn't really made its presence felt in what feels like forever. Plus, there's all that talk of a brand new, original title from the studio that we couldn't help but hope might get teased ever so slightly.

No whiny cyborgs at this year's E3! Unless someone is planning a Bulletstorm offshoot starring Ishi...

Well, scratch all of that. During the course of Konami's slightly-less-bizarre-than-usual pre-E3 press conference, Kojima made it emphatically known that neither Rising, nor any other Kojima joint, outside of the newly announced MGS and Zone of the Enders HD Collections, would be at E3 2011.

On the subject of Rising, Kojima was fairly tight-lipped, but did state that the game was still scheduled for a 2012 release, as originally planned. If we were to see any new media or information for the game in 2011, the next most likely place would be at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

Though any real info on Kojima's next upcoming project was unlikely to appear today, he did give a brief look at a new engine Kojima Productions has been developing in house, which his next title will use. Titled the Fox Engine, the new engine is designed for multiplatform compatibility. The tech demo is toward the end of the conference--which you can watch on Konami's website, or possibly another site if Konami's servers are still borked to hell--but it shows off some impressive lighting and environmental effects, and evidently will make developing simultaneously for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC a great deal easier.

While I have only minimal tolerance for Raiden and his shitbaggy shitbagness, I imagine a number of you out there are disappointed to hear nothing of Rising at this year's E3. What say you? Was this one of the games you were hoping to see most? Or are you sorta checked out on this one at this point?

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1933 posts) -

We already knew that Hideo Kojima was planning to stay in Japan for this year's E3, and that such far-flung nonsense as a Metal Gear Solid 5 wouldn't make its debut at the show. Even still, hope still existed that perhaps, just maybe, Kojima Productions might give fans a new look-see at Metal Gear Solid: Rising, which hasn't really made its presence felt in what feels like forever. Plus, there's all that talk of a brand new, original title from the studio that we couldn't help but hope might get teased ever so slightly.

No whiny cyborgs at this year's E3! Unless someone is planning a Bulletstorm offshoot starring Ishi...

Well, scratch all of that. During the course of Konami's slightly-less-bizarre-than-usual pre-E3 press conference, Kojima made it emphatically known that neither Rising, nor any other Kojima joint, outside of the newly announced MGS and Zone of the Enders HD Collections, would be at E3 2011.

On the subject of Rising, Kojima was fairly tight-lipped, but did state that the game was still scheduled for a 2012 release, as originally planned. If we were to see any new media or information for the game in 2011, the next most likely place would be at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

Though any real info on Kojima's next upcoming project was unlikely to appear today, he did give a brief look at a new engine Kojima Productions has been developing in house, which his next title will use. Titled the Fox Engine, the new engine is designed for multiplatform compatibility. The tech demo is toward the end of the conference--which you can watch on Konami's website, or possibly another site if Konami's servers are still borked to hell--but it shows off some impressive lighting and environmental effects, and evidently will make developing simultaneously for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC a great deal easier.

While I have only minimal tolerance for Raiden and his shitbaggy shitbagness, I imagine a number of you out there are disappointed to hear nothing of Rising at this year's E3. What say you? Was this one of the games you were hoping to see most? Or are you sorta checked out on this one at this point?

Staff
#2 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

Indeed, Sad Trombone

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

Sucks. I wanted to know more about MGS raiden.
#4 Posted by QKT (247 posts) -

i want my melons now.

#5 Posted by is343 (106 posts) -

Not transfarring until next year. :|

#6 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

Transfarring

#7 Posted by UberExplodey (922 posts) -

I wouldn't complain if  "Sad Trombone" became a feature on Giant Bomb. Just saying.

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Transfar is the next meme, I'm callin' it.

#9 Posted by gla55jAw (2684 posts) -

I don't understand no MGS1....

#10 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

"While I have only minimal tolerance for Raiden and his shitbaggy shitbagness,"

Nice professional site you've got here.

#11 Posted by CrackedOnyx (11 posts) -

Well, I've never cared about Rising, and the MGS HD Collection is amazing news, so this is actually a great E3 so far, in my book.

#12 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

Raiden was cool. Shut up. 

Is Sad Trombone your new rap name? Or your new blues trio name?

#13 Posted by ghostNPC (760 posts) -

Sigh. Oh well, next time I guess.

#14 Posted by firecracker22 (530 posts) -

Less than bizarre as before? 

I thought Psycho Turkey was pretty goddamn bizarre...

#15 Posted by Nac (53 posts) -

Japanese game development is now dead. End of an era, everyone!

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

So does this mean they are actually going to start making PC games too? When he did that which one should I pick thing I wasn't sure if the mouse was an option, or if it was just sitting there because he was sitting in front of computers.

#17 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -

No Transfarring yet.

#18 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

Ishi in his own game would be kind of awesome...

#19 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

News about the MGS HD Collection was enough to make that alright for me.

#20 Posted by Greenlight13 (99 posts) -

I didn't hate Raiden as much as most in MGS2 but he was kinda weak, but I loved that they responded to criticism that he was too feminine by making him hyper-manly in MGS4 with the super deep voice. The child in me is always going to want to attack bad guys with swords instead of guns, so I was kinda excited for this game, but oh well.

#21 Posted by rmanthorp (3847 posts) -

TRANSFARRING IS A FUCKING THING! BECAUSE OF US! WE LET THAT HAPPEN!

#22 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

It was definitely my most anticipated game of E3... FUCK  

Next is TLG which probably won't be shown either.

#23 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -
I happy just with the HD collection annoucments.
#24 Posted by Figcoinc (102 posts) -

Konami's press conference was...say it with me....

Transfarr-effic!

#25 Posted by shinluis (428 posts) -
@UberExplodey said:
I wouldn't complain if  "Sad Trombone" became a feature on Giant Bomb. Just saying.
Yes. 

Also: Alex Navarro keep your bloody shitbagyness for yourself mate.
#26 Posted by doe3879 (778 posts) -

Why's Alex writing all these stories?

#27 Edited by Wacomole (815 posts) -

There was, of course, a Snatcher logo printed out on a piece of paper and nonchalantly placed on the wall throughout that Rising segment...don't know if that pertains to anything new.

#28 Posted by Alex (1933 posts) -

@doe3879: Because all those other dudes were busy being "live" on "camera."

Staff
#29 Posted by TheGanjaKing (61 posts) -

I'm not sure I can say I'm exciting for Rising right now, but I can say that when I first saw those teaser trailers I was very very excited.

#30 Posted by MJHAYLETT (437 posts) -

it's been too long without info on Rising for me to care one way or another - also a MGS is not a MGS game if Snake isn't in it. I did enjoy MGS 2 but probably because I played the Tanker level 50 times :D

#31 Posted by TheHBK (5457 posts) -

I am with Alex.  Fuck Raiden.

#32 Edited by NinjaHunter (972 posts) -

They're obviously waiting until Megadeth is done with their own exclusive song so they can finish the trailer.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

I'm calling it, Rising is probably dead.  

I find it REALLY funny that a MGS xbox port was announced before Rising even came out which was supposed to be MGS' big exciting debut on the 360. 

#34 Posted by Hef (1094 posts) -

Whatever.  MGS2 was awesome and i don't hate raiden.  Plus he cuts watermelons in half like a baller.

#35 Posted by bybeach (4700 posts) -

No, I do not care about modern Raiden either, though I kind of liked the first game featuring him,... MGSubstance? The Sons of Liberty I think in it? It was my first exposure to the series cause it came out on Pc. At least Snake was in the first and last third of it, and well, I enjoyed it and Raiden's conflicts. Raiden in MGS IV creeped me out a bit, with his rather homoerotic stabbing through himself to get to another seemingly go-both -ways character, Vampire as me remembers. Personally I think they wanted some private time together, but hell, public wasn't so bad....  

I love the fact though the earlier stuff is coming out on PS3!
#36 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

This was the greatest Kojima E3 yet.

#37 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

At least we'll see it on TGS. More of the Japanese devs go to TGS, as it is closer to them. This news just makes me more excited for TGS!

#38 Posted by THRICE (167 posts) -

I would love to know WTF is going on behind the scenes with this MGS Rising deal. No details for a year, practically nothing in the way of info before that. No show at the biggest venue for it to get attention and the voice actor for Raiden claims Konami isn't even returning phone calls. The video game scene is absurdly behind closed doors to begin with and its a Japanese company to boot so we may never know why things seem to be so messed.

#39 Posted by aidros (231 posts) -

Konami, I want to be excited about this game. I will give you money to play it. Can you please make it happen?

#40 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -
@THRICE said:

I would love to know WTF is going on behind the scenes with this MGS Rising deal. No details for a year, practically nothing in the way of info before that. No show at the biggest venue for it to get attention and the voice actor for Raiden claims Konami isn't even returning phone calls. The video game scene is absurdly behind closed doors to begin with and its a Japanese company to boot so we may never know why things seem to be so messed.

I'm with you, kiddo.  All that doesn't bode well for even a 2012 release, in my opinion.
#41 Edited by Michaelblack18 (223 posts) -

at least there saying it's not dead and still plan to release is the best news and hidden tight lipped project? something big and from kojima im going keep my lips shut on that and not say cause it might jinx on what it may be

#42 Posted by blacklab (1517 posts) -

Sad trombone, indeed.

#43 Posted by 2bitgamer (1 posts) -

To me, the most fascinating reveal in the Kojima segment was the implicit statement that many of these games would also be released on the NGP/PSVita too. Any game that's "Transfarring" enabled must, by implication, be released on the NGP. I wish that Kojima had commented on the pricing scheme. Will we have to buy a PS3 and NGP version of each game, or can we buy one copy of a "Transfarring" enabled game and play it on either device, a la Steam?

As an aside: I appreciate the direction that Koji- Pro is taking with these measures, but Steam was doing all of this 7 years ago, and doing it better.

#44 Posted by McDunkin (318 posts) -

If there every will be a MGS 5 it most definitely will not have Snake as a playable character.  I think it's crazy to even think that there will be a MGS 5.  It would be great to see Kojima do new projects like a new Zone of the Enders or a new Policenauts.

#45 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

What if MGS1 gets a full blown remake with next gen graphics? 
OR 
It's already on PSN

#46 Posted by Jensonb (1688 posts) -

Uh...MGS Snake Eater 3D is still gonna be shown though, right?

#47 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

Dude... WHAT THE FUCK?!

#48 Posted by Oombalan (79 posts) -

No surprises really, Kojima wasn't even there.

#49 Posted by the_purgatory_station (400 posts) -

Sad Trombone MAN!

#50 Posted by Snadzies_McSnadz (9 posts) -

Raiden can suck a fat one.

Anyway, when they fist showed the game I got the impression that the "Cut things at any angle!" was as far as they had got'n in the design of the game.
Not surprised that we haven't seen anything since.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.