Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

X-Play review - 2/5: "the whole mess smacks of sexism"

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Geno

Why are they looking at the psychosociological aspects of a Metroid game? I can get where she's coming from, sort of, but she blows it way out of proportion. Her review of the game is completely devoid of comments about gameplay or presentation, wtf?

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By OneManX
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @zepp said:
    " @pectoral said:

" "I also want to mention a more personal problem with the game. I take issue with the holographic stripper in the background of every shot in the cantina. There are normal female characters in the game, but every time you go to one area of your ship, the only thing moving is an undulating hologram of what looks like a blood elf with a boob job. Maybe they didn’t expect women to ever play this game, but they’ve created a self-fulfilling prophecy. She’s distracting, completely unnecessary to the story or atmosphere, and makes me think that Blizzard needs to hire more women."   This part is incredibly ironic coming from a woman who has posed in several men's magazines.  "

I think it's stupid that she's freaking out about something that was only put in the game as a nod to WoW players. I'm a gal, I saw that shit and laughed, it's funny. Don't get me wrong I'm all for female equality and all that jazz, but this was just a JOKE!!! I guess she doesn't play WoW... "
    I am guessing this is why they rated it so low. This is why I think no one should pay attention to the xplay review "
    Starcraft 2 got a 5 out of 5... from Morgan (she wrote the review)

It was one little negative in a full review and negative that had NO impact on the final score...
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By wrighteous86

I agree with people saying Samus having misgivings and obsessions with her past fit right in with Batman doing the same, and no one claims Batman is sexist;  well, not for that reason at least. 

No Caption Provided
    fAp
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@OneManX said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @zepp said:
    " @pectoral said:

" "I also want to mention a more personal problem with the game. I take issue with the holographic stripper in the background of every shot in the cantina. There are normal female characters in the game, but every time you go to one area of your ship, the only thing moving is an undulating hologram of what looks like a blood elf with a boob job. Maybe they didn’t expect women to ever play this game, but they’ve created a self-fulfilling prophecy. She’s distracting, completely unnecessary to the story or atmosphere, and makes me think that Blizzard needs to hire more women."   This part is incredibly ironic coming from a woman who has posed in several men's magazines.  "

I think it's stupid that she's freaking out about something that was only put in the game as a nod to WoW players. I'm a gal, I saw that shit and laughed, it's funny. Don't get me wrong I'm all for female equality and all that jazz, but this was just a JOKE!!! I guess she doesn't play WoW... "
    I am guessing this is why they rated it so low. This is why I think no one should pay attention to the xplay review "
    Starcraft 2 got a 5 out of 5... from Morgan (she wrote the review)  It was one little negative in a full review and negative that had NO impact on the final score... "
    And this was not done by morgan. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Psykhophear said:

" I've stopped listening to X-Play years ago. Their reviews and ratings on games have grown to be so cruel, so insulting and so unprofessional. They think they're like the king of game reviews who can simply spit out whatever they want in public.  

God, it's so painful to hear Morgan Webb bitching and moaning about Metroid: Other M in that annoying and sarcastic tone of hers. Though I admit that the game may involved too much of Samus talking, which can be a bit odd to Metroid fans but criticizing about her sexism? That's just stupid!  You made a very good point,   @Apathylad. So ironic to hear Morgan Webb bitchin' about it when she herself posed for Maxim and FHM. And complaining about Samus' thoughts on other characters in the game? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with being curious with the people you are working with?  X-Play has gone too far. Morgan Webb is talking crap just to boost up the show's ratings and make her sound cool, but guess what? It doesn't work! You and the rest of G4 can go eff yourselves.  "

morgan webb didn't do the review...unless im confusing people....
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By Stealthmaster86
    @Geno:  She said that the the controls are a bit weird and the graphics are nice.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By jakob187
    @TheHBK said:
    "Badass Samus now cries about her dad She is super insecure in this game She can't use weapons because of this guy? You hold A to recharge... health and weapons?  This is a big one that is so un metroid like.  Sure FPS games have recharging health, but you dont get to just press a button, you have to get to safety.  And the recharging missiles, really?  That is retarded itself."
    1.  Soooo...Samus is being given HUMAN EMOTIONS?!  ZOMG!!!  PLEASE, DON'T SAY IT'S TRUE!!!  Regardless of how badass any character is...male or female...they are more than allowed to have emotion. 
    2.  For some reason, I'm thinking that the "can't use weapons until this specific guy says to" might be taken out of context.  Again, haven't played the game, so I only know what I've seen...and what I know about the media is they like to take things out of context to fit their own point of view. 
    3.  Health and weapons can recharge in a game made in 2010?!  ZOMG!!!  Moreover, THAT is un-Metroid-like, but the Ninja Gaiden-meets-Metroid Prime-meets-third person shooter from the days of yore ISN'T un-Metroid-like? 

Overall, I find it frustrating when people constantly bitch about how Nintendo never does anything NEW with their franchises...and yet, here they are...allowing Team Ninja to do something new, and people are COMPLAINING because it's "un-Metroid-like"?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    "Badass Samus now cries about her dad She is super insecure in this game She can't use weapons because of this guy? You hold A to recharge... health and weapons?  This is a big one that is so un metroid like.  Sure FPS games have recharging health, but you dont get to just press a button, you have to get to safety.  And the recharging missiles, really?  That is retarded itself."
    1.  Soooo...Samus is being given HUMAN EMOTIONS?!  ZOMG!!!  PLEASE, DON'T SAY IT'S TRUE!!!  Regardless of how badass any character is...male or female...they are more than allowed to have emotion. 2.  For some reason, I'm thinking that the "can't use weapons until this specific guy says to" might be taken out of context.  Again, haven't played the game, so I only know what I've seen...and what I know about the media is they like to take things out of context to fit their own point of view. 3.  Health and weapons can recharge in a game made in 2010?!  ZOMG!!!  Moreover, THAT is un-Metroid-like, but the Ninja Gaiden-meets-Metroid Prime-meets-third person shooter from the days of yore ISN'T un-Metroid-like?  Overall, I find it frustrating when people constantly bitch about how Nintendo never does anything NEW with their franchises...and yet, here they are...allowing Team Ninja to do something new, and people are COMPLAINING because it's "un-Metroid-like"? "
    The answers for  

is that HES HER COMMANDING OFFICER! She has to listen to him. So that was most likely taken massively out of context. 
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#109  Edited By DoctorOptimist

X-Play went downhill after TechTV was bought out by G4. Adam Sessler is the only good thing about the show now.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By FritzDude

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111  Edited By jakob187
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    1.  Soooo...Samus is being given HUMAN EMOTIONS?!  ZOMG!!!  PLEASE, DON'T SAY IT'S TRUE!!!  Regardless of how badass any character is...male or female...they are more than allowed to have emotion. 2.  For some reason, I'm thinking that the "can't use weapons until this specific guy says to" might be taken out of context.  Again, haven't played the game, so I only know what I've seen...and what I know about the media is they like to take things out of context to fit their own point of view. 3.  Health and weapons can recharge in a game made in 2010?!  ZOMG!!!  Moreover, THAT is un-Metroid-like, but the Ninja Gaiden-meets-Metroid Prime-meets-third person shooter from the days of yore ISN'T un-Metroid-like?  Overall, I find it frustrating when people constantly bitch about how Nintendo never does anything NEW with their franchises...and yet, here they are...allowing Team Ninja to do something new, and people are COMPLAINING because it's "un-Metroid-like"? "
    The answers for   2.   is that HES HER COMMANDING OFFICER! She has to listen to him. So that was most likely taken massively out of context.  "
    Thank you for the explanation.  That definitely seems like it was taken out of context.  Again, people will shout "...but she's saved the galaxy countless times".  It would be a weak and flimsy argument. 

Hell, even Wonder Woman would listen to someone above her rank of command.  Hell, WONDER WOMAN DWELLS ON HER PAST...AND PEOPLE LOVE THAT SHIT!  Anyone reading the JMS run right now sees that, and she's no less badass than usual.  It just so happens that someone is writing her with real emotion for once!!!
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@jakob187: Technically he is her former commanding officer. 

Point still stands though. 

Kind of.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    The answers for   2.   is that HES HER COMMANDING OFFICER! She has to listen to him. So that was most likely taken massively out of context.  "
    Thank you for the explanation.  That definitely seems like it was taken out of context.  Again, people will shout "...but she's saved the galaxy countless times".  It would be a weak and flimsy argument.  Hell, even Wonder Woman would listen to someone above her rank of command.  Hell, WONDER WOMAN DWELLS ON HER PAST...AND PEOPLE LOVE THAT SHIT!  Anyone reading the JMS run right now sees that, and she's no less badass than usual.  It just so happens that someone is writing her with real emotion for once!!! "
    I think it was also done in Metroid Fusion. They gave her the OK to use certain stuff. Again it just seems the person who made this review wanted to find issues with the game. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#114  Edited By Hailinel
    @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @DevWil said:
    "this could've been a mature, interesting conversation about gender politics in games. 

could've been. "
    Given the inflammatory nature of the review, I doubt it.  It's hilarious how short-sighted it is, really.  Is Samus not allowed to display weakness or any sense of being feminine (stereotypical sense or otherwise) because some people have viewed her as an emotionless robot badass for two decades?  She's a human, and Metroid creatore Yoshio Sakamoto has had an idea of what Samus is like in terms of personality for a long time now.  It's worth it in allowing him to tell the story he wants to tell about the character he knows better than anyone else. "
    That's called bad writing. You see, inconsistencies in characters is generally seen as a bad thing, and when the inconsistencies leap towards making the character look weak and emotionally stereotypical, there is a serious problem that is being overlooked. Plus, she was calculated, not emotionless, there is a difference.  That's my first contribution to this issue, I think the complaining about the review (Which is an opinion, I might add) is kind of stupid, especially since all the complaints were complaining about the bringing up of thematic elements as problematic. Seriously, can we one day have a discussion about the portrayal of anything in videogames concerning how it's very pulpy and perhaps too pulpy without any real diversity? I guess not... "
    How is it bad writing to give female characters what are commonly considered signs of feminine weakness?  It's not like she isn't capable of taking care of herself, after all.  She can still kick ass and take names; she's just not an emotionless sociopath.  Hell, I have female friends who are intensely interested in the pursuit of women's rights, equal standing in society, and similar issues;  one even recently graduated law school and took her bar exam.  But they have no problem with stopping in front of a store front window to eyeball shoes, or obsess over myriad perfume scents, or talk about things are supposedly stereotypical for girls to talk about.

Different people have different personalities.  In Sakamoto's mind, Samus was never this cold, calculating, emotionless super-soldier.  She has a tragic past; her parents were killed and she was raised by a race of bird people.  She felt a motherly bond to a Metroid that trusted and protected her unconditionally.  A creature that was supposed to be a scourge of galactic peace, and that she had almost made extinct herself.  In a way, that Metroid could have had every reason in the universe to despise her; she did commit genocide, after all.  But instead, it formed an instinctual attachment to her, and after everything that happened, it's only natural that she return that bond.

Honestly, it would have felt cheaper to paint her as a badass with the emotional qualities of a rock.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " I agree with people saying Samus having misgivings and obsessions with her past fit right in with Batman doing the same, and no one claims Batman is sexist;  well, not for that reason at least. 
    No Caption Provided
    fAp "
    Well he's the GODDAMN BATMAN!!!
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#116  Edited By Tireyo

This is very odd.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By KingBroly

From what was mentioned/implied on the Bombcast, was that Samus agreed to follow orders, which in turn meant following the orders of Adam on the mission, who is leading it.  Her getting authority to use powers is stupid, but is it more stupid in how they did it in Prime 1?  Yup, good ol' electricity.  Rendering badass bounty hunters powerless since 2003.  I mean, come on.  Even though she's not under his command anymore, she still agreed to the mission and to abide by the rules of said mission. 

Also, how much characterization has Samus HAD in any Metroid game before now?  Can anyone tell me from what THE GAMES ALONE have given, what kind of person Samus Aran is supposed to be?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @jakob187: Technically he is her former commanding officer.  Point still stands though.  Kind of. "
    She's still following protocol.  She's working side-by-side with a squad commanded by her former CO, so she's proceeding with the investigation under his direction and trying not to be a hindrance to the GF team that's there for the same reason she is.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By OneManX

From reading both reviews (X=Play and Giant bomb's) it seems that Samus's story is well... meh at best. Both reviews note the bad voice acting and that the attempts to make her seem disconnected or a bad ass (depending on where you're coming from), the real divid e comes from the gameplay. Some people and even positive reviews note it's jank at some points.

I mean if the review was a flame, then I'd see the problems, but if the reviewer can back up their points and provide evidence, I have no real beef with it.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By Hourai
    @tiwi said:
    " @EliasT said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @EliasT said:

" You know what? After watching that, I totally agree, and the only reason your fucktard Nintendo fanboys are angry is because she didn't give it 5 stars, because GOD FUCKING FORBID someone has a different opinion then you and isn't a mindless tool that approves of every Nintendo game ever made. You fucking Nintendo fanboys make me sick, I hope you fuckers realize what really matters in a video game at some point in your lives you stupid shits. "
    Dude.  Shut up. "
    Eat a fucking dick, it's called freedom of speech and I have the right to use it. "
    yeah you can. but being a troll will get you responses like that. when you use that kind of expressions, people usually react negatively. it's not a discussion if you're both cursing eachother out.  I don't even own a wii and I see that she's being bias. Samus worked under adam for YEARS, you're telling me they couldn't establish an emotional connection. if you are then:  Dude. Shut up.   "
    Ignore him, he literally has explosive autism. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ajamafalous

YEAH 

AND RE5 WAS FUCKING RACIST

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @jakob187: Technically he is her former commanding officer.  Point still stands though.  Kind of. "
    She's still following protocol.  She's working side-by-side with a squad commanded by her former CO, so she's proceeding with the investigation under his direction and trying not to be a hindrance to the GF team that's there for the same reason she is. "
    That's almost worse.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " From what was mentioned/implied on the Bombcast, was that Samus agreed to follow orders, which in turn meant following the orders of Adam on the mission, who is leading it.  Her getting authority to use powers is stupid, but is it more stupid in how they did it in Prime 1?  Yup, good ol' electricity.  Rendering badass bounty hunters powerless since 2003.  I mean, come on.  Even though she's not under his command anymore, she still agreed to the mission and to abide by the rules of said mission.  Also, how much characterization has Samus HAD in any Metroid game before now?  Can anyone tell me from what THE GAMES ALONE have given, what kind of person Samus Aran is supposed to be? "
    Samus had dialogue with the Adam AI in Metroid Fusion as well as a considerable amount of narration throughout the game, all in text format.  Points of her childhood were laid out in dialogue-free cutscenes in Metroid:  Zero Mission.  So yes, there is precedent for the Metroid series to delve into her character beyond "She's a bounty hunter in a metal suit.  Also, she's totally a girl, bro."
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Gametrailers gamve it a 8.6  So xplay is most likely just being stupid. I dont want to offend anyone. But it seems the game just offended this one women and she gave the game a low score cause of it.  "
    Gametrailers is pretty stupid too...and that site is basically broken (comments don't work; pause doesn't work in videos; etc.).
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    She's still following protocol.  She's working side-by-side with a squad commanded by her former CO, so she's proceeding with the investigation under his direction and trying not to be a hindrance to the GF team that's there for the same reason she is. "
    That's almost worse. "
    Worse than the inexplicable loss of her entire arsenal that she must then reacquire by hand, up to and including the basic morph ball?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teh_pwnzorer said:
    " Gametrailers gamve it a 8.6  So xplay is most likely just being stupid. I dont want to offend anyone. But it seems the game just offended this one women and she gave the game a low score cause of it.  "
    Gametrailers is pretty stupid too...and that site is basically broken (comments don't work; pause doesn't work in videos; etc.). "
    Comments are not broken. And the video player works fine for me. 
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By OneManX
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " From what was mentioned/implied on the Bombcast, was that Samus agreed to follow orders, which in turn meant following the orders of Adam on the mission, who is leading it.  Her getting authority to use powers is stupid, but is it more stupid in how they did it in Prime 1?  Yup, good ol' electricity.  Rendering badass bounty hunters powerless since 2003.  I mean, come on.  Even though she's not under his command anymore, she still agreed to the mission and to abide by the rules of said mission.  Also, how much characterization has Samus HAD in any Metroid game before now?  Can anyone tell me from what THE GAMES ALONE have given, what kind of person Samus Aran is supposed to be? "
    Samus had dialogue with the Adam AI in Metroid Fusion as well as a considerable amount of narration throughout the game, all in text format.  Points of her childhood were laid out in dialogue-free cutscenes in Metroid:  Zero Mission.  So yes, there is precedent for the Metroid series to delve into her character beyond "She's a bounty hunter in a metal suit.  Also, she's totally a girl, bro." "
    From what seems to be the problem the game is heavy on the story in which other Metroid games never really did. it was more about exploration and retrieving the power ups, and  when this game strays away from that formula it's wonky. Since the voice acting isn't good.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    That's almost worse. "
    Worse than the inexplicable loss of her entire arsenal that she must then reacquire by hand, up to and including the basic morph ball? "
    Yeah. 

At least that has some sort of nostalgia factor, this is just stupid. 

She is a fucking bounty hunter, why should she not blast open a door just because some prick says not to. I mean she knows what's behind there. Some kind of crazy power-up or some shit. She's done this shit before.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    That's almost worse. "
    Worse than the inexplicable loss of her entire arsenal that she must then reacquire by hand, up to and including the basic morph ball? "
    Yeah.  At least that has some sort of nostalgia factor, this is just stupid.  She is a fucking bounty hunter, why should she not blast open a door just because some prick says not to. I mean she knows what's behind there. Some kind of crazy power-up or some shit. She's done this shit before. "
    The CO isn't just "some prick."  Samus has a great deal of respect for Adam, which you'd know already if you had played through Metroid Fusion.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#130  Edited By Belonpopo

X-Play hasn't been worth anything in years, but I do think Adam Sessler is worth his salt.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Cornman89
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    That's almost worse. "
    I think it is, albeit in a sort of nitpicky way.

Traditional abiltease is, I would say, less stupid than this because it avoids the cognitive dissonance I'm hearing from lots of reviewers, which is, "I just ran by a Super Missile door, and I have Super Missiles, but Samus is making a conscious decision to not use them."

Or take Justin Haywald's more extreme example of "I am roasting in this superheated lava chamber, and I could stop this agony (while simultaneously gaining the ability to more efficiently complete my mission) but Col. Malkovich hasn't given me permission to yet."  Sure, it's functionally the same sequence as it would be if, say, some alien monster stole my Varia Suit, but the context makes it stand out as not just a mechanical contrivance but a logical absurdity.

Is it a huge deal? No. Even significant enough to fuss over in a review? ...Eh, it's a border case, but again, I don't think so. But it's still pretty jarring, possibly moreso than the usual abilitease for reasoning I've mentioned. Naturally, your results may vary; I think it could bother you a whole lot, or not at all, depending on your ability to observe and accept gameplay/story segregation, but everybody approaches that line differently, and, for some people, Other M might be considerably harder pill to swallow for this reason.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    That's almost worse. "
    Yeah.  At least that has some sort of nostalgia factor, this is just stupid.  She is a fucking bounty hunter, why should she not blast open a door just because some prick says not to. I mean she knows what's behind there. Some kind of crazy power-up or some shit. She's done this shit before. "
    The CO isn't just "some prick."  Samus has a great deal of respect for Adam, which you'd know already if you had played through Metroid Fusion. "
    I did.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish:   Then perhaps you should have paid closer attention.

@Cornman89:  Now this is an argument I can see the logic behind.  Yeah, it does seem ridiculous that "Hey, I'm kind of roasting to death here because I'm not using my heat-resistant armor because I haven't been authorized to do so yet."  On the other hand, earlier Metroid games did force the player to visit regions like Norfair before obtaining the Varia Suit, so in terms of gameplay, it's not out of line with the past.

Either way though, it can be construed as absurd in both ways.  Either you've lost your armor again through some inexplicable means and need to retrieve it from a giant bird statue, or you just won't use it until you're given the go ahead.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel: I did. 

That still doesn't explain why she wouldn't use her weapons just because some prick said she couldn't.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By yakov456

Oh my god what is this broad droning on about? She talks about Samus like being a female was never a big part of the story, especially in a sexual/risque manner. Couldn't you play as Samus in her underwear or bikini in the first one, or am I imagining it. X-play needs to get off of the fucking soapbox and review a game for the elements that make it a game. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Hailinel: I did.  That still doesn't explain why she wouldn't use her weapons just because some prick said she couldn't. "
    Because she has enough respect for Adam to follow his orders.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:

" @KingBroly said:

Samus had dialogue with the Adam AI in Metroid Fusion as well as a considerable amount of narration throughout the game, all in text format.  Points of her childhood were laid out in dialogue-free cutscenes in Metroid:  Zero Mission.  So yes, there is precedent for the Metroid series to delve into her character beyond "She's a bounty hunter in a metal suit.  Also, she's totally a girl, bro." "
    But do those cutscenes divulge ANYTHING about her character/personality?  The answer is no, they don't.  They just showed that she grew up on Zebes under the guidance of the Chozo.  That's it.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Cornman89
    @Hailinel: Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. And hey, as far as I know there's no pre-endgame fetch quest...which means Other M is officially the best Metroid game ever! Inarguable!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jeffsekai

That's a pretty good review.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel: I did.  That still doesn't explain why she wouldn't use her weapons just because some prick said she couldn't. "
    Because she has enough respect for Adam to follow his orders. "
    So the galaxy's most notorious bounty hunter is completely submissive even when it is in her best interest not to be?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @KingBroly said:

But do those cutscenes divulge ANYTHING about her character/personality?  The answer is no, they don't.  They just showed that she grew up on Zebes under the guidance of the Chozo.  That's it. "
    That's still a pretty important aspect of her character, and until Zero Mission, had never been actively depicted in any of the games, aside from some references to her past with the Chozo in some Metroid Prime log files.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Afroman269

I don't care for the game but I don't agree that it deserves to be shitted on or to be given bad reviews. It looks ok IMO. Oh and when the fuck did people take X-Play seriously? lol.....G4

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By mutha3

Dumb review is dumb.

Other M looks  really dull to me, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    So the galaxy's most notorious bounty hunter is completely submissive even when it is in her best interest not to be? "
    Following orders doesn't equate to completely submissive behavior.  Samus isn't a sociopath.  She actually has this thing called empathy and respect for her comrades and superiors.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By KingBroly

But what I'm saying is this is new territory for series in a game context.  Saying that Samus' character has been completely rewritten from previous games is a lie when there was nothing in the games to begin with.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " But what I'm saying is this is new territory for series in a game context.  Saying that Samus' character has been completely rewritten from previous games is a lie when there was nothing in the games to begin with. "
    This is true.  And it's absurd that people complain about how they're destroying Samus's character when this is the character that Sakamoto had in mind all this time.  This is how Samus really is.  People may have had their own idealized depictions of what she should be, but when it comes to fleshing out her emotions, her personality ultimately isn't for us, the players, to decide.  Those elements are strictly the realm of the character's creators.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @KingBroly: Exactly. All we've seen from Samus in previous games is her physical appearance. She's never talked. At all. She had no personality until this game.

And I love how Abbie says that this portrayal is so offensive, and that if she knew anybody that didn't mind how Samus is portrayed in this game, she wouldn't want to talk to that person ever again. Now THAT'S pretty close-minded.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    So the galaxy's most notorious bounty hunter is completely submissive even when it is in her best interest not to be? "
    Following orders doesn't equate to completely submissive behavior.  Samus isn't a sociopath.  She actually has this thing called empathy and respect for her comrades and superiors. "
    If your commanding officer asked you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#149  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Following orders doesn't equate to completely submissive behavior.  Samus isn't a sociopath.  She actually has this thing called empathy and respect for her comrades and superiors. "
    If your commanding officer asked you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? "
    If I had a jet pack yes.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:

Gametrailers is pretty stupid too...and that site is basically broken (comments don't work; pause doesn't work in videos; etc.). "
    Comments are not broken. And the video player works fine for me.  "
    That's how it worked for me in the recent past...I guess they fixed their problems. 

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/can-t-comment-on-videos-/1105643

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.