Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

X-Play review - 2/5: "the whole mess smacks of sexism"

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#301  Edited By Torrim

If they're declaring Starcraft II sexist because a frigate full of lonely space truckers puts a hologram of a stripper in the cantina, then I'm not sure why they're reviewing games, or anything, for that matter.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#302  Edited By Damien

Again, way too serious Giant Bomb.  Also, Japan and it's inhabitants aren't a race, rather an ethnicity, so technically anything said about Japan can't racist.  That bothered me a lot, as did most of this thread.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#303  Edited By Hailinel
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " This is why I don't take female journalists even remotely seriously.   "
    So one female journalist goes off on a likely personal crusade in her review, and that explains why you, as a general rule, don't take any female journalists seriously?

Now that is sexist. "
    Yes. That's exactly what I said. You hit the nail on the head. That's it exactly. This one single review has made me completely disregard an entire genders opinion. That's entirely right, and definitely a more rational conclusion than, say, me noticing a lot of really, really, really bad journalism done by women (Starcraft 2 on Xplay, the absolutely embarrassing video review of this, and just about every other video game noncontroversy in existence that didn't involve jack Thompson), and citing this as a prime example why.  That's it exactly, man.  "
    I think you've got a few issues with women, bud.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#304  Edited By mutha3
    @Damien said:

" Again, way too serious Giant Bomb.  Also, Japan and it's inhabitants aren't a race, rather an ethnicity, so technically anything said about Japan can't racist.  That bothered me a lot, as did most of this thread. "

Google the term ''racism''.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#305  Edited By ThePickle

Finally get to bust this out: 

No Caption Provided
    Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By Dantekiller

xplay fuckers dont know shit, Nintendo is trying to do something new they can only do the same shit over and over again its not madden they cant just make the same game again they are trying to humanize her and add more of a story for more games down the line

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#307  Edited By yakov456

Please, enough with the "I'm disappointed with you Giantbomb" comments. People are having a debate, you will not agree with everything being said. As long as people are not taking personal shots lighten up.

xthegames3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#308  Edited By xthegames3

I like how they bash the way you get health and missiles in the review. They said "...if you want something in life,  just think real hard.". Really? This is a fucking video game. They really need to remember that. It's JUST a game..........

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By Dantekiller
    @xthegames3: @xthegames3 said:
    " I like how they bash the way you get health and missiles in the review. They said "...if you want something in life,  just think real hard.". Really? This is a fucking video game. They really need to remember that. It's JUST a game.......... "
    her suit i mad of nano-bots right so maybe they are making missiles and stuff i dont know it a game god damn it lol
    ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By ELBUMBLERO

Hey check it out, a company mainly known for their shitty fighter that basically is advertised as "Women with big boobs fighting 8" makes a shitty, sexist game?

Who fucking knew?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#311  Edited By Snipzor
    @xthegames3 said:
    " I like how they bash the way you get health and missiles in the review. They said "...if you want something in life,  just think real hard.". Really? This is a fucking video game. They really need to remember that. It's JUST a game.......... "
    The "it's just a game" excuse kind of died upon the realization that there were health+ammo pickups in previous metroid games, also died many many years ago. Unless making fun of regen. health is out of style because "It's just a game". But point is, it's a stupid idea from the start.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By Hailinel
    @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    The "it's just a game" excuse kind of died upon the realization that there were health+ammo pickups in previous metroid games, also died many many years ago. Unless making fun of regen. health is out of style because "It's just a game". But point is, it's a stupid idea from the start. "
    It's different, but the concentration aspect doesn't really hurt anything.  All it really does it replace the need to farm missile drops from enemies.  Instead, you can just point the Wii Remote up, hold A, reload, and keep moving.  It changes the pace and helps things move along.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#313  Edited By apathylad
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    The "it's just a game" excuse kind of died upon the realization that there were health+ammo pickups in previous metroid games, also died many many years ago. Unless making fun of regen. health is out of style because "It's just a game". But point is, it's a stupid idea from the start. "
    It's different, but the concentration aspect doesn't really hurt anything.  All it really does it replace the need to farm missile drops from enemies.  Instead, you can just point the Wii Remote up, hold A, reload, and keep moving.  It changes the pace and helps things move along. "
    I still don't see how that's a legitimate complaint, unless Abbie Heppe has an issue with regenerating health in video games. 
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Snipzor
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    It's different, but the concentration aspect doesn't really hurt anything.  All it really does it replace the need to farm missile drops from enemies.  Instead, you can just point the Wii Remote up, hold A, reload, and keep moving.  It changes the pace and helps things move along. "
    But it's stupid, also nonsensical. Suspension of disbelief is gone then, exactly why I bring up regenerating health (But that's a personal preference that I can't not notice anymore in games, drives me nuts). Considering the number of enemies and the need (Or lackthereof) for rockets, pickups wouldn't have been that big a deal. Hell, simplify the way they did it in prime where you could charge beam them to come to you, and just have item drops come right to you without charging. Admit that this is not a stupid at concentrating to magically spawn health and ammo as if she has a command prompt right next to her... actually that makes more sense. She's not concentrating, but just spawning ammo and health, which is why it takes time to spawn it. There we go, problem solved. 

Instead of concentration, she's taking the time to materialize the health and ammo. Come on, that's a million times better!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    I still don't see how that's a legitimate complaint, unless Abbie Heppe has an issue with regenerating health in video games.  "
    I never meant to suggest that it was.  It's a very silly thing to complain about.  Honestly, Heppe just seemed to latch on to her hatred for the weaknesses in Samus's character and then use that fuel to nitpick aspects of the game that really don't seem worth getting up in arms over.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By Snipzor
    @Apathylad said:
    "I still don't see how that's a legitimate complaint, unless Abbie Heppe has an issue with regenerating health in video games.  "
    I think it's fair to say that at this point it's so commonplace, that any criticism anyone has of regenerating health (Like how it's stupid) is pointless. Which is why no critic mentions it. Don't tell me you didn't first see regenerating health and thought that it was dumb or silly. 

But that's another topic entirely.
    MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By MegaGoat
    @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    But it's stupid, also nonsensical. Suspension of disbelief is gone then, exactly why I bring up regenerating health (But that's a personal preference that I can't not notice anymore in games, drives me nuts). Considering the number of enemies and the need (Or lackthereof) for rockets, pickups wouldn't have been that big a deal. Hell, simplify the way they did it in prime where you could charge beam them to come to you, and just have item drops come right to you without charging. Admit that this is not a stupid at concentrating to magically spawn health and ammo as if she has a command prompt right next to her... actually that makes more sense. She's not concentrating, but just spawning ammo and health, which is why it takes time to spawn it. There we go, problem solved.  Instead of concentration, she's taking the time to materialize the health and ammo. Come on, that's a million times better! "
    She's actually straining really hard to poop it out

Marvel's Wolverine regenerates health all the time, and nobody seems to give a shit
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    So one female journalist goes off on a likely personal crusade in her review, and that explains why you, as a general rule, don't take any female journalists seriously?

Now that is sexist. "
    Yes. That's exactly what I said. You hit the nail on the head. That's it exactly. This one single review has made me completely disregard an entire genders opinion. That's entirely right, and definitely a more rational conclusion than, say, me noticing a lot of really, really, really bad journalism done by women (Starcraft 2 on Xplay, the absolutely embarrassing video review of this, and just about every other video game noncontroversy in existence that didn't involve jack Thompson), and citing this as a prime example why.  That's it exactly, man.  "
    I think you've got a few issues with women, bud. "
    Uh.. yeah. I'm pretty sure I just explained that. In fact I'm pretty sure that was explained in the part you bolded, bud.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By Hailinel
    @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    But it's stupid, also nonsensical. Suspension of disbelief is gone then, exactly why I bring up regenerating health (But that's a personal preference that I can't not notice anymore in games, drives me nuts). Considering the number of enemies and the need (Or lackthereof) for rockets, pickups wouldn't have been that big a deal. Hell, simplify the way they did it in prime where you could charge beam them to come to you, and just have item drops come right to you without charging. Admit that this is not a stupid at concentrating to magically spawn health and ammo as if she has a command prompt right next to her... actually that makes more sense. She's not concentrating, but just spawning ammo and health, which is why it takes time to spawn it. There we go, problem solved.  Instead of concentration, she's taking the time to materialize the health and ammo. Come on, that's a million times better! "
    So  you're saying that blowing up enemies and finding missiles floating in mid-air that they leave behind despite their inability to use such projectiles in the first place is easier to believe than using the suit's abilities to generate more missiles and perform repairs when at a critical state of health?

Huh.  Okay then.  Yeah...
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#320  Edited By ptys

Different strokes for different folks. Looks like they got it wrong though! Game looks cool. I want a Wii, but still can justify it as I already have two consoles I don't play.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By Snipzor
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    So  you're saying that blowing up enemies and finding missiles floating in mid-air that they leave behind despite their inability to use such projectiles in the first place is easier to believe than using the suit's abilities to generate more missiles and perform repairs when at a critical state of health?  Huh.  Okay then.  Yeah... "
    It's less stupid than believing Samus has a cache of infinite dark matter that pretty much makes everything for her, whilst she still let's this guy tell her to use stuff she already has for reasons too dumb enough to think about or try to explain. And no, don't try to explain it, because it is very inconsistent towards her character (Who actually might as well be cast in a god damn Disney movie about growing up). If her suit had the ability to generate all of it, why not at a constant rate then? Again, just admit it's an incredibly stupid idea to put in a game, that has always used the same formula for drops since the NES days.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By Hailinel
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:

Now that is sexist. "
    Uh.. yeah. I'm pretty sure I just explained that. In fact I'm pretty sure that was explained in the part you bolded, bud. "
    So you readily admit that your a misogynist up front?  That's...oddly straight-forward.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Hailinel
    @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    So  you're saying that blowing up enemies and finding missiles floating in mid-air that they leave behind despite their inability to use such projectiles in the first place is easier to believe than using the suit's abilities to generate more missiles and perform repairs when at a critical state of health?  Huh.  Okay then.  Yeah... "
    It's less stupid than believing Samus has a cache of infinite dark matter that pretty much makes everything for her, whilst she still let's this guy tell her to use stuff she already has for reasons too dumb enough to think about or try to explain. And no, don't try to explain it, because it is very inconsistent towards her character (Who actually might as well be cast in a god damn Disney movie about growing up). If her suit had the ability to generate all of it, why not at a constant rate then? Again, just admit it's an incredibly stupid idea to put in a game, that has always used the same formula for drops since the NES days. "
    How can you say all of this without actually having played the game?  Also, why are you taking the science behind this so seriously?  We're talking about a game series in which a woman can curl herself into a sphere, roll around, and launch herself in the air with bombs.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By Snipzor
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @xthegames3 said:
    It's less stupid than believing Samus has a cache of infinite dark matter that pretty much makes everything for her, whilst she still let's this guy tell her to use stuff she already has for reasons too dumb enough to think about or try to explain. And no, don't try to explain it, because it is very inconsistent towards her character (Who actually might as well be cast in a god damn Disney movie about growing up). If her suit had the ability to generate all of it, why not at a constant rate then? Again, just admit it's an incredibly stupid idea to put in a game, that has always used the same formula for drops since the NES days. "
    How can you say all of this without actually having played the game?  Also, why are you taking the science behind this so seriously?  We're talking about a game series in which a woman can curl herself into a sphere, roll around, and launch herself in the air with bombs. "
    Ugh, I know! That's the worst part. My suspension of disbelief is within the Metroid series, and even that has been breeched. That's the crazy part. Drives me nuts. We've all been there in fantasy stories where we just break down and question the consistency of ability for characters and beings that go beyond what we've already established. Insanity I tell you, insanity. I guess I'm kind of being a parody of you guys taking that complaint the reviewer had blowing it out of proportion, by taking your complain and complaining about it out of proportion.

Or maybe it's fun to take it too seriously
    *trollface.jpg* 

/Yes, I know an image isn't supposed to pop up there
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By mattbosten

Controversy for clicks. End of.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:

Now that is sexist. "
    Uh.. yeah. I'm pretty sure I just explained that. In fact I'm pretty sure that was explained in the part you bolded, bud. "
    So you readily admit that your a misogynist up front?  That's...oddly straight-forward. "
    No, what I admit is that whenever I read a really emotional, stupid, and nontroversy inspiring editorial, I am never surprised when the writer is a woman, because it happens so frequently. The aboved cited examples, anything written by the lady at Gamespot, etc. 

If that makes me a misogynist, then okay, I admit it. I don't feel like it does because I'm not saying men are better than women at anything, I'm merely making a statement, much like "women have breasts". That's just how I see it. Whether you want to say that's a positive or negative statement is up to you. However, if you're going to call my something in relation to this, at least go with Sexist. I don't have a hatred for women. I love women.

Frankly, I think it's more sexist to hold women to significantly lower standards and say anything they produce is magical because they're beautiful butterflies. No. Every piece of gaming journalism I've read from a female author has been a joke (not to say anything produced by a guy isn't, FYI). If you gave me some articles I didn't think were horrendous by a female author, I'll gladly admit to that. 

So if that makes me a sexist, alright, I'm a sexist. I'm still not going to hold women to lower standards, and I'm not going to pretend that I haven't read a large amount of garbage journalism from women journalists. *shrug*
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By Hailinel
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:

Now that is sexist. "
    So you readily admit that your a misogynist up front?  That's...oddly straight-forward. "
    No, what I admit is that whenever I read a really emotional, stupid, and nontroversy inspiring editorial, I am never surprised when the writer is a woman, because it happens so frequently. The aboved cited examples, anything written by the lady at Gamespot, etc.  If that makes me a misogynist, then okay, I admit it. I don't feel like it does because I'm not saying men are better than women at anything, I'm merely making a statement, much like "women have breasts". That's just how I see it. Whether you want to say that's a positive or negative statement is up to you. However, if you're going to call my something in relation to this, at least go with Sexist. I don't have a hatred for women. I love women. Frankly, I think it's more sexist to hold women to significantly lower standards and say anything they produce is magical because they're beautiful butterflies. No. Every piece of gaming journalism I've read from a female author has been a joke (not to say anything produced by a guy isn't, FYI). If you gave me some articles I didn't think were horrendous by a female author, I'll gladly admit to that.  So if that makes me a sexist, alright, I'm a sexist. I'm still not going to hold women to lower standards, and I'm not going to pretend that I haven't read a large amount of garbage journalism from women journalists. *shrug* "
    Okay, maybe you don't readily admit it, but you are misogynistic.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    No, what I admit is that whenever I read a really emotional, stupid, and nontroversy inspiring editorial, I am never surprised when the writer is a woman, because it happens so frequently. The aboved cited examples, anything written by the lady at Gamespot, etc.  If that makes me a misogynist, then okay, I admit it. I don't feel like it does because I'm not saying men are better than women at anything, I'm merely making a statement, much like "women have breasts". That's just how I see it. Whether you want to say that's a positive or negative statement is up to you. However, if you're going to call my something in relation to this, at least go with Sexist. I don't have a hatred for women. I love women. Frankly, I think it's more sexist to hold women to significantly lower standards and say anything they produce is magical because they're beautiful butterflies. No. Every piece of gaming journalism I've read from a female author has been a joke (not to say anything produced by a guy isn't, FYI). If you gave me some articles I didn't think were horrendous by a female author, I'll gladly admit to that.  So if that makes me a sexist, alright, I'm a sexist. I'm still not going to hold women to lower standards, and I'm not going to pretend that I haven't read a large amount of garbage journalism from women journalists. *shrug* "
    Okay, maybe you don't readily admit it, but you are misogynistic. "
    Nope, Misogyny is defined as a hatred for women (or 'dislike' and 'mistrust' if you wanna get technical) and I most certainly don't do that. I don't really get where you're getting that from. I've seen many bad women game journalists and no good ones, therefor I hate an entire gender? That's kind of like saying "you dislike steak fajitas therefor you hate Mexicans". Not quite. If you want to argue that I'm sexist however, I can at least understand that (although it's still pretty silly. Again, I think holding women to a lower standard than men is significantly more sexist than saying that what few female journalists I've seen have been terrible)
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By Damien
    @mutha3 said:
    " @Damien said:

" Again, way too serious Giant Bomb.  Also, Japan and it's inhabitants aren't a race, rather an ethnicity, so technically anything said about Japan can't racist.  That bothered me a lot, as did most of this thread. "

Google the term ''racism''. "
    It was a riveting read.  Your point?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By ryanwho

lol, Samus the damsel. The theme this year, take the tiny crop of strong female characters and turn them into little damsels. This shit is embarrassing. 

Good news is Team Ninja can get back to DOA volleyball and a decent team can take a shot at it. Hey it was an interesting outsourcing experiment Nintendo but they can't all work.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#331  Edited By Icemael
    @ryanwho said:

" lol, Samus the damsel. The theme this year, take the tiny crop of strong female characters and turn them into little damsels. This shit is embarrassing. "

lol at the bolded part. How can we talk about how her personality's changed when she didn't show any of it in the other Metroid games. How can we know she wasn't at the verge of crying under that mask when fighting Ridley in previous games -- that it didn't just become too much for her psyche to handle when she saw that the terrifying beast she barely managed to muster up the courage to fight had returned to haunt her once again? How can we know this isn't Samus' personality the way the original creators imagined it -- the way she's technically always been?

Oh, right. We can't. 

But I forgot! She's a female character who isn't a completely fearless badass both on the outside on the inside -- essentially, she's not a stereotypical male hero, except with a vagina -- and that's totally sexist, amirite guys? Amirite?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho:   Given that Samus still kicks ass in Other M, I don't see your complaint as being particularly valid.  God forbid that the designers give a character any form of weakness or obstacles that are more emotional than physical in nature.  I mean, how dare they give Samus human traits that paint her as anything less than the unmistakably baddest bad ass in the galaxy.

Seriously, this revelation that Samus isn't perfect isn't a new one.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By apathylad
    @ryanwho:  
    We are never told explicitly, but the reason you see her break down into a little girl has to do with what happened when Samus first encountered Ridley. I'm curious if Other M will explain this but: 

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By obscurefan

Honestly to me X-Play is so not even relevant anymore, it's not even close to what it used to be and this kind of proves it. To say Samus grew up a scared girl is the exact same as saying Bruce Wayne was scared before becoming batman, of course they were scared, that's what makes them now being ass kicking tough guys so great, it shows the journey they've taken.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By HandsomeDead

This whole thing sounds like the natural fallout of trying to make a Nintendo franchise all gritty while keeping it recognizable and hiring Team Ninja to do it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By mutha3
    @ryanwho said:

Good news is Team Ninja can get back to DOA volleyball
    no

no that isn't good news

I want a new Ninja Gaiden, goddamit!
    bahimiron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By bahimiron

This thread should be burnt to the ground and the Earth should be salted. 

If I worked for GB I'd be humiliated that a community I worked to grow and maintain could be as foul as this thread has proven to be.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#338  Edited By fjordson
    @Belonpopo said:
    " X-Play hasn't been worth anything in years, but I do think Adam Sessler is worth his salt. "
    Yep. Agreed.

And people hate on Morgan a lot, but I don't mind her. Most reviews that seem to rile people up (such as this one) seem to usually be written by Heppe, not Webb.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By TwoOneFive

the hosts, at least sesslar, are bleeding heart liberals. i got no problem with liberals, but those overboard types who think theyre smart/enlightened for pointing out every single fucking possible politically incorrect notion are flat out annoying and should shut the fuck up. Sessler, on his Soap Box bit, once ranted about how Resident Evil 5 clearly appeared racist. He's fucking bleeding heart liberal and it annoys the fucking shit out of me, and now this stuff is obviously related, its just more of the same bullshit. theyre trying to appear intelligent and mature and ughhhhh its fucking dumb and they need to stop. the game isnt marketed as a very mature piece of work, its like a goddamn commic book. go look at how women are portrayed in comics and start cryin about it. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By ryanwho
    @Hailinel said:
    " @ryanwho:   Given that Samus still kicks ass in Other M, I don't see your complaint as being particularly valid.  God forbid that the designers give a character any form of weakness or obstacles that are more emotional than physical in nature.  I mean, how dare they give Samus human traits that paint her as anything less than the unmistakably baddest bad ass in the galaxy.  Seriously, this revelation that Samus isn't perfect isn't a new one. "
    Your idea of character development is character destruction. Stop watching shitty anime. That shit doesn't belong in Metroid. She got saved by a Halo clone "that's not how you treat a woman" fucking priceless) after wimpering at the sight of Ridley, the 10th encounter or so. Its stupid but you've already made your mind up that you're opposing the review from the person who played the game even though you havent and now even with video evidence you're sticking with this stupid rationalization. What's the point in even talking to you? You're not playing the game and you've already decided people who have are wrong and the fucking dumbest cutscene I've ever scene is actually great because that's what your little head needs to believe to continue supporting your argument. I don't have discussions with brick walls. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By ryanwho
    @Icemael said:

" @ryanwho said:

" lol, Samus the damsel. The theme this year, take the tiny crop of strong female characters and turn them into little damsels. This shit is embarrassing. "

lol at the bolded part. How can we talk about how her personality's changed when she didn't show any of it in the other Metroid games. How can we know she wasn't at the verge of crying under that mask when fighting Ridley in previous games -- that it didn't just become too much for her psyche to handle when she saw that the terrifying beast she barely managed to muster up the courage to fight had returned to haunt her once again? How can we know this isn't Samus' personality the way the original creators imagined it -- the way she's technically always been?

Oh, right. We can't. 

But I forgot! She's a female character who isn't a completely fearless badass both on the outside on the inside -- essentially, she's not a stereotypical male hero, except with a vagina -- and that's totally sexist, amirite guys? Amirite? "
    So basically she could be voiced by Carrot Top and be afraid of the color orange because since she had no characterization before this, any kind of bullshit they put in is an improvement. You seem almost proud of the fact that you have no characterization standards. Are you even a Metroid fan? This is a pretty weak argument. On the level of "dont like FF go play Halo". Really about as obtuse as you can get. I don't like the characterization because its stupid Team Ninja bullshit. It reeks of it. That's different than being afraid of emotions, internet psychologist. 
    So Samus is facing Ridley, who she's faced multiple times. But for some reason, she's pissing her pants this time and gets slapped around, her clothes falls off, luckily a man is around to save her. Now you're suggesting if I think that's fucking retarded, I'm some kind of chauvinist. "Women have the freedom to be subjugated and victims uguys! " What a fucking lonely universe you live in. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @ryanwho:   Given that Samus still kicks ass in Other M, I don't see your complaint as being particularly valid.  God forbid that the designers give a character any form of weakness or obstacles that are more emotional than physical in nature.  I mean, how dare they give Samus human traits that paint her as anything less than the unmistakably baddest bad ass in the galaxy.  Seriously, this revelation that Samus isn't perfect isn't a new one. "
    Your idea of character development is character destruction. Stop watching shitty anime. That shit doesn't belong in Metroid. She got saved by a Halo clone "that's not how you treat a woman" fucking priceless) after wimpering at the sight of Ridley, the 10th encounter or so. Its stupid but you've already made your mind up that you're opposing the review from the person who played the game even though you havent and now even with video evidence you're sticking with this stupid rationalization. What's the point in even talking to you? You're not playing the game and you've already decided people who have are wrong and the fucking dumbest cutscene I've ever scene is actually great because that's what your little head needs to believe to continue supporting your argument. I don't have discussions with brick walls.  "
    If he were a Halo clone we'd never know him by anything more than his faceplate and an overwrought call sign.  :P

Character destruction?  That's a good one.  This isn't stuff that the developers are pulling out of their ass.  There's an actual canon history between Samus and Ridley that stretches all the way back to the beginning of the series timeline.  The very beginning.  It was largely depicted in a manga published around eight years ago that was supervised by Sakamoto.  And when Zero Mission came out, the game's plot was retold to fall in line with the story and characters imagined in that material.

And Other M is the same way.  It follows Sakamoto's vision of who Samus is.  Not yours.  Not that of some reviewer trying to make a statement.  Of course, much of the plot of those manga were never explicitly stated in Zero Mission because of the limited scope of both Zero Mission's plot and of the method of story telling that the game employed.  Part of the reason Other M was made as it was was to give more time to properly exploring Samus's character and not render her as a mute badass in a suit.

Just as a small example of how far back things were established, here's an illustration of Adam from the manga:

This is from roughly 2002.
     This is from roughly 2002.
    And this is Adam in Other M:

And this is from Other M.
    And this is from Other M.

Not a big difference.

Okay, but that's a minor point.  Sure.  What else happens in the manga?  Oh, you know, a little thing kinda sorta like the death of Samus's parents at the hands of Ridley when she was three.  Yeah, if I thought I had killed my parents' murderer for good only to find out that, surprise!  He's still alive, kicking, and really pissed off, I'd probably be stunned and a little upset at this turn of events.  Hell, Samus could go out on a fancy dinner date with Bruce Wayne and actually be invited on a second date because the two of them actually have something in common.

Also, it's like one cutscene out of the entire game.  Holy Christ.  What, does that suddenly make you an expert on the game because you've seen one cutscene in which Samus falls into a OMGWTF state when he shows up?  And as for the repeated fights with Ridley.  Ridley never dies during the Metroid Prime series; those games are meant to fit between Metroid and Metroid II.  And Ridley didn't die in the original Metroid, either, as the space pirates started restoring him before Zero Mission was even over.  Super Metroid was the first game in which Ridley was though to be seriously, unquestionably killed.  Zebes even blew the fuck up at the end of the game.  Ridley shows up after all of that, it's natural for Samus to be surprised.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#343  Edited By Icemael
    @ryanwho said:

" So basically she could be voiced by Carrot Top and be afraid of the color orange because since she had no characterization before this, any kind of bullshit they put in is an improvement.  "

Yes, she could, and no, it isn't.

@ryanwho said: 

" You seem almost proud of the fact that you have no characterization standards. Are you even a Metroid fan? This is a pretty weak argument. On the level of "dont like FF go play Halo". Really about as obtuse as you can get. "

lol. I never commented on whether I liked the characterization, Mr. I Jump To Conclusions, just on whether it was sexist or a change in personality.

@ryanwho said: 

" I don't like the characterization because its stupid Team Ninja bullshit. It reeks of it. That's different than being afraid of emotions, internet psychologist. "

You complained about how they'd turned her from a "strong female protagonist" (in reality: nondescript, emotionless -- at least as far as the player was concerned -- badass who most people perceived as male before the big reveal at the end of the first game) into a "little damsel" (in reality: a person suffering from psychological scars, and for good reason).

@ryanwho said: 

" So Samus is facing Ridley, who she's faced multiple times. But for some reason, she's pissing her pants this time and gets slapped around, her clothes falls off, luckily a man is around to save her. Now you're suggesting if I think that's fucking retarded, I'm some kind of chauvinist. "Women have the freedom to be subjugated and victims uguys! " What a fucking lonely universe you live in. "

lol again. I recommend taking the time to properly read a post if you're going to respond to it.
    PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#344  Edited By PatrickCrider

Seriously, there's a reason why a lot of people stopped watching X-Play. We're seeing an example of why in this review. I heard more bitching about sexism then I heard ANYTHING about gameplay. With most other video game "controversies", it's something that's made out to be an obvious, intentional wrongdoing and then when I play the game it doesn't come off that way to me at all. So when I hear these collective bitchings they tend to go in one ear and out the other and make me more than likely check out the game to see it for myself. I'm going to pick up this game anyway.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345  Edited By PK_Koopa
    @Hailinel said:
    And as for the repeated fights with Ridley.  Ridley never dies during the Metroid Prime series; those games are meant to fit between Metroid and Metroid II.  And Ridley didn't die in the original Metroid, either, as the space pirates started restoring him before Zero Mission was even over.  Super Metroid was the first game in which Ridley was though to be seriously, unquestionably killed.  Zebes even blew the fuck up at the end of the game.  Ridley shows up after all of that, it's natural for Samus to be surprised. "
    I totally understand your point here, that its natural to be surprised after he survived an enormous explosion. My problem is that the shock scene lasts a bit too long. I understand taking a few steps back and such because of being in shock that hes actually real, but then she starts to not respond to call to her name, and even end up being grabbed by him really easily.
    Its just a bit much I think.
    I mean I guess I'm no expert on the metroid series and all, but it just seems a bit odd.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By apathylad
    @PK_Koopa:  

Apparently in Samus' origin Ridley killed her parents when she was three years old. It's not explicitly stated in the game, so Heppe from G4 took the seen out of context and interpreted it as being sexist and demeaning.  

For some reason that scene reminds me of this one from Arkham Asylum. 

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#347  Edited By Vao

Man this thread is an interesting read. First off I haven't played the game, i watched and read couple sites reviews so my view is from an outsiders looking in. A couple points do pop out at me from this read and other places.  

Most games or even movies thats main lead is a female character has some tone of sexism, that being set this game does come off as alittle farther up the scale then most. The large point i would like to point out is it was written in Japan which is a different culture and has differing views then we dumb Americas. and I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing things were lost in translation, its on the localization team to fix that. 

My main gripe anymore is with G4 anymore.  I don't really have evidence of this but this whole issue seems to be a way to get more people interested in their videos again. They seem to take a small issue and stretch it alittle to create just enough of a difference for people to go watch or read that review over the others.  I do laugh at how they felt the need to put out a 17min video to backup her claims 

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#348  Edited By KingBroly
    @Apathylad said:
    " @PK_Koopa:  

Apparently in Samus' origin Ridley killed her parents when she was three years old. It's not explicitly stated in the game, so Heppe from G4 took the seen out of context and interpreted it as being sexist and demeaning.  

For some reason that scene reminds me of this one from Arkham Asylum. 

"
    What you just said confirms what I had suspected then:  She doesn't know anything beyond the games, yet she claims to be a huge fan of the Metroid series, particularly Samus.  It has been pretty well documented that her parents were killed by Ridley when she was a child, so by saying this will come as a shock to "True" Metroid fans and make them disgusted would be pretty farfetched.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#349  Edited By jakob187

I'll be honest:  I kinda hope that the guys touch on this whole thing in the Bombcast this week.  I'd be interested to see their perspective on it, even just for a second, since they found it to be a pretty damn good game. 

With that said, I'm glad folks like Hailinel are setting things straight in this thread.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    " I'll be honest:  I kinda hope that the guys touch on this whole thing in the Bombcast this week.  I'd be interested to see their perspective on it, even just for a second, since they found it to be a pretty damn good game.  With that said, I'm glad folks like Hailinel are setting things straight in this thread. "
    I'm sure that they'll talk about the game at least a little while they all discuss the games that they've been playing.  Their reactions to it have been very interesting, though I don't know if they'd go so far as to talk about this whole affair.  If they did, however, I'd also be interested to hear what they have to say on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.