Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Why is this gun in the game?

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsmoke77

Walther WA-2000 sniper rifle was designed in west germany for police forces and only 176 units were every made. During the storyline the only combants that use the gun are russian forces, why would they use a west germany gun which only has 176 units ever produced? However, this gun is a fantastic specifc based sniper rifle, not a conversion of a rifle but why isn't any Russian sniper rifles in the game. I would have no problem if the WA 2000 was in the game if there was some Russian rifles in the game. Some Russian sniper rifles still in use today is the Dragunov and the  KSVK 12.7 is similar to the 50.cal aka it is a anti-materiel rifle. The Russians also have two slienced sniper rifles, the  VSS Vintorez    and the VSSK Vychlop. One of the best aspects of MW2 was the amount of guns,  there are like seven shotguns but only four sniper rifles.  What are your guys thoughts on the WA 2000 and the fact that there is no russian sniper rifles.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Capum15
    @bigsmoke77: I loved the VSS in Bad Company so much.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I love the WA 2000. I think it's in multiplayer because they probably decided that they needed a other weapon or two and put it in their.  They should have included the Dragunov also though. 

But I'm wondering why the F2000 is in the game... it's absolutely terrible!!! ; )

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By baconbits33
    @Capum15: OH man it was soo awesome, especially when the people you were sniping were all like "WTF? Who is shooting me?" and then you get that final head shot... good times... good times.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @CornontheCobbe:
    The f 2000 is probably the best medium range gun in the game, and longe range you need to pop fire it and its usually pretty good. You just got to give her a CHANCE!
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Sarumarine

I haven't unlocked this gun yet, but I'm sure the design had something to do with it's inclusion. It's compact and box-like and doesn't look like a traditional sniper rifle. Modern Warfare 2 is practically overflowing with "as long as it's awesome, throw it in" (Rule of Cool). If they can get in a lever action shotgun in a game loaded with rifles based on the most modern gun technology, they can pack in an odd duck like the WA-2000.

I am a little confused why the Dragunov didn't make multiplayer. I was kinda looking forward to use it, however, I plan to give the WA-2000 a try when I get it.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By hicks91

f2000 is a strange gun, with red dot and medium range its a headshot machine but otherwise i find it useless 

and yeah id have liked soem more variety with sniper rifles

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Symphony

I'm trying to figure out why the Dragunov is in the single player campaign and spec ops, but not usable in multiplayer.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shadow

because it's a video game and it's fun to have that gun in a video game

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By FireBurger
    @bigsmoke77: I think it is in singleplayer.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Sarumarine
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    "@Symphony: Do you have a different version of the game cuz Dragunov is not in the game at all. "
    A few of the South American levels you can pick up a Dragunov. There's one right at the beginning of "The Hornet's Nest" located around the first building on your right when you come out of the brush.
    dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dyslekt

I call it the keyboard and its a beautiful ting! Best sniper in the game.

Tolshakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tolshakk

My guess would be the paid DLC will not only include game modes and maps but also weapons. The insidious part is that, like most people have mentioned, the Dragunov's files are already on disk..

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Tolshakk: That's not possible because the only DLC they could for multiplayer to minimally divide the playerbase would be to offer playlists and game maps.  Weapons would separate the playerbase way to hugely and they would never do that.  It would have to be an obligatory, free update if they wanted to add guns.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Symphony: 
    I always felt as though the Dragunov was in between the M21 and the .50 cal. Accurate but still powerful with a fast rate of fire. Maybe by taking it out they figured they could see snipers having to make the choice between power, accuracy, and speed.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @baconbits33 said:

" @Capum15: OH man it was soo awesome, especially when the people you were sniping were all like "WTF? Who is shooting me?" and then you get that final head shot... good times... good times. "

Good times? I still play that games!
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hitchenson
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

I don't know.  The gun plays horrible.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    "@CornontheCobbe: The f 2000 is probably the best medium range gun in the game, and longe range you need to pop fire it and its usually pretty good. You just got to give her a CHANCE! "

I consider it an SMG with a ton of power lol, firing it from the hip is great.
    baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By baconbits33
    @ADTR_ZERO: Oh were you one of the guys I blew away multiple times then? If so nothing personal man just playing the game.
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @baconbits33: No, I meant you said "Good times" like the times have ended. I still play that game, so I wouldn't say "good times," I'm still making some good times to remember.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainCody

While I believe there should be more snipers I don't understand why you SPECIFICALLY want russian ones.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Woah now the WA2000 is a great Sniper Rifle in MW2.  I do think it's strange that the Dragunov appears in the single player game but not in multiplayer, it's probably because it's too similar to the other rifles in the game and they want to reduce the number of repeated guns (they seem to have limited to one gun that was in the last game).  I have a feeling they may put the Dragunov in the next map pack, I hope they do anyway.  Fuck balance, more guns = awesome.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

For some reason I thought this thread would be about the Model 1887's. I always wondered why those were in a game called "Modern Warfare". It's also sad that a weapon made in 1887 is one of the best weapons in the game.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

The Dragunov aka SVD was included in the singleplayer game so I don't really understand why it's not in the multiplayer. Even though it's probably one of the worst snipers in the game it makes more sense to have it than the WA2000.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony
    @AestheticSynthesis said:
    " @Symphony:  I always felt as though the Dragunov was in between the M21 and the .50 cal. Accurate but still powerful with a fast rate of fire. Maybe by taking it out they figured they could see snipers having to make the choice between power, accuracy, and speed. "
    Maybe... or people end up doing what I did -- going with an assault rifle like the FAMAS or M16A1 to snipe. More accurate (none of that having to hold your breath to stop the gun from moving around), quicker to look down the sights with, fires just as far, is just as powerful (one 3-burst from an M16 will take someone down from very long range), and works much better in close quarters fights (then again 99% of snipers go akimbo shotguns for close quarters it seems...). 

It really is ridiculous how underwhelming sniper rifles are in multiplayer. Why does the Intervention have a resting stand yet your scope still moves around all over the place if you're laying down? Assault rifles don't have this problem even when you're standing straight >< Sure there are plenty of terrific snipers who do an amazing job with their rifles but give them an assault rifle in the same scenario and chances are they'll do just as well, if not better, unless their eyesight is poor.

Sorry about the soapbox, I kind of got side-tracked >.>
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Hitchenson said:
    " Wasn't the WA2000 also in Hitman: Blood Money?  "
    Yes sir indeed it was. Great for killing agents and hiding the bodies.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By natetodamax

It's a video game.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slippy

Modern Warfare 2 is full of obscure guns. And even the common guns like the M4, MP5 and AK47 all seem to have been "modernised" - they all feature about a billion little modifications, and even sound different from any other version of the gun. Add in the futuristic uniforms and it starts to feel like everyone is a super techno-warrior from the distant future, which, I suppose is actually true. The may as well call it Call of Duty: Slightly Too Modern Warfare.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The WA2000 seems to be a pretty iconic sniper rifle, as far as video games go. I think all the Hitman titles incorporate one in some form or another.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @CaptainCody:
    Because there is none, and the russian forces in the storyline use the WA 2000 which does not make sense. And i was pointing out that there is many russian sniper rifles that they could have been put in the game.
    baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By baconbits33
    @ADTR_ZERO: oh well I busted my Gold Edition copy of BF:BC so those good times for me are over...
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @baconbits33 said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO: oh well I busted my Gold Edition copy of BF:BC so those good times for me are over... "
    How tragic.
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Tuggah
    @SathingtonWaltz: because in today's war, people run  around with Civil War shotguns/rifles.
    Fabcai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fabcai

Im not a game publisher on anything,so i dunno.

But its a WWII gun,right?Well this is Modern Warfare,bitches!Not Old Warfare!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Slippy said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 is full of obscure guns. And even the common guns like the M4, MP5 and AK47 all seem to have been "modernised" - they all feature about a billion little modifications, and even sound different from any other version of the gun. Add in the futuristic uniforms and it starts to feel like everyone is a super techno-warrior from the distant future, which, I suppose is actually true. The may as well call it Call of Duty: Slightly Too Modern Warfare. "
    I want my MP5 back!
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Tuggah: Yes, and those same guns are far better than our modern weapons.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Synthballs

Even now nerfed I ask myself why Model 1887's are in the game...

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zagzagovich

I just realised that there is no Dragunov in the multi-player. That's kind of weird. Also the fact that russians use limited german sniper rifles when actual Russian sniper rifles are in the game is weird to. But there are a lot of very lazy attempts at translation and anything else that has something to do with anybody who isn't American. I'll probably make some kind of a list of things of that nature. That is a pretty kick ass looking rifle tho.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kenya24
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    " @CornontheCobbe: The f 2000 is probably the best medium range gun in the game, and longe range you need to pop fire it and its usually pretty good. You just got to give her a CHANCE! "
    I'd say the exact same thing, only replace "f 2000" with "tar 21".
    Avatar image for animalveststudios
    AnimalVestStudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsmoke77: The same reason one person can run around with a Barret 50.cal at full speed, snipe someone in the foot and not kill, and fire the gun from the hip like a high-recoil paintball gun.

its a game :D
    K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By K0rN

I have two reasons: 

1. IW pretty much said "screw realism" when making this game. 

2. It's badass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.