Morrigan Aensland is a sexy, seductive succubus from the Darkstalkers series. While she has a primarily demonic appearance, she doesn't exhibit many traditionally 'evil' traits. Her move set -- which features a fireball-style projectile and dragon punch-like uppercut -- make her something of a Darkstalkers equivalent to Ryu or Ken from the Street Fighter series.
Morrigan was born in Scotland (or Makai) and was the adopted daughter of Belial Aensland. Morrigan was so incredibly powerful at her birth that Belial had to seal away parts of her power. One-third he sealed in a separate dimension, which eventually took on the form of another succubus named Lilith. Another third he sealed in himself, to be restored to Morrigan when he died. Morrigan did not realize what Belial had done to her power, so she grew up in the Aensland castle, unaware of his actions. She found life in the castle rather dull, so she would often venture out into the world of humans, seeking entertainment.
One night, she ventured into the world of the humans, sensing a large power. This power turned out to be Pyron, the fire demon. When Morrigian returned to the castle, she was informed of Belial's death, and she became the next successor to the throne. Regaining part of her power, she becomes the rightful ruler of Makai, however, she decides to forget about her duties as ruler and tries to live her life as she did before. In Morrigan's ending to Darkstalkers 3 she eventually meets Lilith and the two of them merge into a single being, restoring Morrigan to her full power and giving her a more optimistic view of the world. However, Lilith's ending depicts Lilith fading from existence before she can merge with Morrigan although Morrigan awakens feeling as though she has changed somehow.
In Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and 3, Morrigan is an all-around character and uses her Soul Fist and Shadow Blade attacks to fight enemies. Some of her hyper combos involve summoning a clone of her. One of Morrigan's alternate costumes is based off of Lilith's colors.
Morrigan appears as a playable character in all three entries of the Darkstalkers series. She has also appeared in many of Capcom's versus titles in series such as Capcom vs. SNK, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Morrigan has also appeared in a number of non-fighting games. Such titles she has appeared in include Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and the HD Remix on Xbox Live Arcade, the Dreamcast port of Gunbird 2, Namco x Capcom, the North American edition of We Love Golf! as a costume for one of the characters, and Cross Edge.
She has appeared in a number of anime series and comics over the years as well. These include:
- Darkstalkers - A six-part comic series by Udon Comics, stayed mostly true to the game's story, and kept Morrigan as she was.
- Darkstalkers - an American animated series based on the Darkstalkers franchise, Morrigan appeared as a villain, and looked much different than she did in the game. She was older and less revealing in this series.
- Vampire Hunter: The Animated Series - Also known as Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge in the US. A six-episode OVA series produced in Japan, kept the characters and story true to the game.
Since Morrigan's fist appearance in the original Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors, her sprite set was recycled frequently and used in every Capcom fighting game she appeared in until the company abandoned the use of sprites in favor of 3D models. Her first polygonal appearance came in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes. Capcom's frequent reuse of her original Darkstalkers sprite set generated criticism in later years, as the old art assets tended to clash horribly with the newer background and character art featured in later games.
- "That was so tasty... Give it to me again."
- "Young men tend to use force. Don't be ashamed, I like it!"
- "Maybe I should have given you a hint. Maybe next time..."
- "Ahhh... I enjoyed abusing you. Care to try again?"
- "Repetition is worth than death... right?"
- "Night was created for adults. You should go home now kid."
- "Your pain shall turn into ultimate pleasure! I promise!"
- "True peace can only be found in the cold darkness."
- "You're as energetic as ever, just don't be in such a rush."
- "Shhh... can you hear it? My heartbeat..."
- "Attack me harder! I want to get all hot and sweaty too!"
- "Still afraid? Come and feel the acme together..."
- "I thought you'd amuse me... guess I was wrong."
- "You're so sweet.. I'll take away your body and soul."
- "I don't need eternal love. I just need the acme now."
- "I would give it... 69 points!"
There have been a number of different voice actresses for Morrigan's character over the years.