Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Ermac Needs to be removed

• 65 results
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

Honestly am just tired of either having "pros" doing 60% combos with ermac if you even do anything other then block, or the scrub running and spamming grab. He ruins the pace of every fight, who's idea was it to have  a character that had control over the entire screen? Even if you don't make a mistake, his grab dominates every other animation, and boom there goes 60% of your life with a piss easy combo.  This game is starting to wear thin on me, either people just spam one special, or wait for one opening and spam one combo over and over.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

People need to give this game time to simmer down and that includes Netherealm.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TechHits

He doesn't need to be removed, however you do need to learn how to deal with him. 

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Beaudacious
    @TechHits: Oh tell me wise one, how do you counter animation priority?
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TechHits
    @Beaudacious:  I donno, block then teleport? No need to be rude.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By LackLuster

Oh rage threads... Coming from an ermac player there are ways to beat him you just need to sit down and figure it out maybe play as him your self to figure it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn the match up with your character.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By NinjaHunter

Which grab are you talking about? The lift or the push? Well I'm not sure it matters because he can be hit out of both. Just don't spam combos or random moves and you'll do better. If that's what you're doing cause I haven't played you.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

from the little ive followed of MK tournamentes, its kung lao thats raping it up, not ermac so...

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehexeditor

Game's terrible for vs. stranger online type shit  due to balance and all that

It's more of a play with friends thing. Accept it and move on

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Khadyn
    @Rhaknar said:
    from the little ive followed of MK tournamentes, its kung lao thats raping it up, not ermac so...
    Gonna be interesting how long he stays at the top since his damage is being lowered and some are jumping the Raiden bandwagon with his teleport ability or proving Shang Tsung is not the suck if you know how to play him correctly. Back to OP, I agree with the posts here and if there is a character I can't stand and (IMO) the most cheesy/turtling toon its Noob. Not a lie, I go get something to drink or eat when someone high level picks him during a tourney...
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bestostero
    @Rhaknar said:
    Ermac is right up in there too, along with Raiden. Suprised Stryker isn't up in there as well, everyone keep saying the hat is what makes all the difference and he has a hat too lol
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Beaudacious
    @Khadyn: Shang Tsung is a really good character as long as you have 1 bar of ex and repeat the magic combo over and over. I think it hits for around 60% as well if all balls hit. 
    @Rhaknar:  Its Kung Lao, Ermac, Cyrax

From reading this thread i don't think many people here have played against really good Ermacs, he takes advantage of the time it takes your punch/kick to travel(at sweep distance) to grab you instantaneously(especially with a stick). If the player can dodge 1 hit, you've just lost 60% life bar. And yes i can turtle like so many do, but i want to actually play this game and not hump the ground for 10mins.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

You should just mod the game to play "fair" like those weirdos who modded Super Smash Bros Melee rules into Brawl.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bestostero
    @Beaudacious: Raiden too, he has a hat!
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TechHits
    @Beaudacious:  sounds like maybe you shouldn't play online. 
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blueduck

Use Breakers.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Khadyn

@blueduck said:

Use Breakers.

Agree..people think X-ray is important, while it can be somewhat useful if you want a fast ender for a round but majority of the time its blocked...Breakers is pretty much the must have for any match sets to prevent getting blown up and looking like a scrub.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By GoofyGoober

Shit just remove all the characters from the game cause people have problems. It seems like no matter what the game, if there is an online portion, people will find the time to bitch and moan about a weapon, character, etc, etc. Do people take the time to learn and adapt anymore, or do we all just rage on the closest internet forum we can type into the address bar?

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By novadth

If Ermac should be removed so should Kung, Raiden, Cage, Nightwolf, Kano, Sub. 

Just get rid of all the high tier characters and the game will be balanced!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By damswedon

@NovaDTH said:

You;re not going far enough. Get rid of all characters and the game will be balanced as hell.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Gabriel

Play as Raiden.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT
    @damswedon said:

@NovaDTH said:

You;re not going far enough. Get rid of all characters and the game will be balanced as hell.

Now you're just being silly. Just have one character for everyone to play and master. That way anything your opponent can do, you can do! Uncomplainable!
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Slaker117
    @TheHT said:

@damswedon said:

@NovaDTH said:

Now you're just being silly. Just have one character for everyone to play and master. That way anything your opponent can do, you can do! Uncomplainable!
    Are you kidding?! The person on the left has such a huge advantage. They need to patch it so both players face the same direction.
    Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rafaelfc

It's a sad reality that to become good at fighting games you have to sacrifice fun for winning...  
    but hey, if you want fun just invite some scrub friends over and make your own tournaments, it's the best way, really

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Gabriel

@Slaker117 said:

@TheHT said:
    @damswedon said:

@NovaDTH said:

Are you kidding?! The person of the left has such a huge advantage. They need to patch it so both players face the same direction.

Hell why have combos and special moves when you could just have QTE's, Kratos was a step in the right direction.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Beaudacious

Honestly am just tired of either having "pros" doing 60% combos with ermac if you even do anything other then block, or the scrub running and spamming grab. 

I'd like to actually see a 60% Ermac combo without the use of an X ray please.
    Also: an attempted grab has a long animation and has to be close to your opponent to work. Furthermore you can get out of a grab by pressing triangle or X fast enough. It also doesn't work on crouching opponents who don't block and can be punished by fast attacks.

He ruins the pace of every fight, who's idea was it to have  a character that had control over the entire screen? Even if you don't make a mistake, his grab dominates every other animation, and boom there goes 60% of your life with a piss easy combo. 

His lift/grab doesn't have that much of a range, and he has very few possibilities of getting to you if you're on the other half of the screen - he can either spam projectiles, use an incredibly slow stomp or teleport, which is easily blockable and punishable.

This game is starting to wear thin on me, either people just spam one special, or wait for one opening and spam one combo over and over.

NEWSFLASH

Taking advantage of a situation and waiting for your opponent's mistake so you can punish him with a combo are both crucial aspects of the fighting game genre.

To be frank it seems to me like you're just bitter, I play against a good Ermac player for an hour to a few a day (my brother and I play split screen a helluva lot) and he is in no way unbeatable.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Slaker117
    @Gabriel: MK9 post-patch: Eveyone plays as Kratos, press X first to win.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Slaker117 said:

Are you kidding?! The person on the left has such a huge advantage. They need to patch it so both players face the same direction.

Easy fix. Mirror player 2's screen and controls. Still boned if you're playing local though.

On topic, I also have trouble against Ermac. I'm not very good though so I can't say how far-reaching the problem is. I just play really aggressively and hope for the best.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Beaudacious
    @Khadyn: Breaker is 2 ex, so good luck spamming that as easily as ermac's combo's when his grab nullifies your current move.
    @GoofyGoober: Just because the developers made it doesn't make it fair, the point of balance is so that i won't have to fight 20 ermac's in a row. Sure the pro that's been balancing games at netherrealms can handle ermac, but not everyone plays in tourney's. Most bitching in online games is due to the fact that to adapt means to join the club and repeat the very behavior. It turns games into monotone spam fests. Whats the point of having a roster when everyone should jsut be ermac right? Honestly i don't understand what i expected after the crap that Street fighter has been online.

I like how everyone says, just block, use a breaker, adapt like stating simple answers makes them correct. All while taking about animation mechanics prioritizing ermac's moves to which all those suggestion are quite silly. 

@xhavoc86:  I bet its the hat that lets him torpedo spam like that, its the only explanation!
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Gabriel said:

@Slaker117 said:

@TheHT said:
    @damswedon said:

@NovaDTH said:

Are you kidding?! The person of the left has such a huge advantage. They need to patch it so both players face the same direction.

Hell why have combos and special moves when you could just have QTE's, Kratos was a step in the right direction.

But QTEs are so difficult... they should just determine the winner based on the amount the players paid for a special subscription service. That way we can ensure that everyone is getting their money's worth.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NinjaHunter

@Beaudacious: I'm an Ermac player and he can be hit out of the lift. Maybe I'm just bad at timing wake up specials but he can't really do anything once you knock him down. It sounds like you don't actually want to play the game but want to just mash buttons. Don't just mash random combos you WILL get lifted. There's enough time in between combos to lift you if you try to follow up. If he blocks you're first couple of attacks just end the combo prematurely and/or block. You should have enough time to punish him if he attempts a lift. Unless there's lag but that usually messes everybody up. And of course whiffing moves in front of him is a bad idea.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JazGalaxy

I agree with you 100 percent  rafaelfc, and I've been thinking about that a lot recently. 

I have a roomate who plays SCII all the time and is really good at it. To the point of making money. But the way he talks about the game, it sounds absolutely no fun to me. But then, he would say that winnign is fun. How you get there is irrelevant. 

To me, I care more about the spirit of the game than I do the meta-tactics it takes to get tehre. 

That's why I'll never be truly great at anything...
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By metalmoog

@TechHits said:

He doesn't need to be removed, however you do need to learn how to deal with him.

LOL. This is mean and funny at the same time.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By dbz1995

I play a guy called xStingy who plays the best Ermac I've seen on MK online. Rushes down, with some good combos and mix-ups. From what I've played against him, you're an idiot if you jump around all over the place, since those gravity grabs hurt. Blockdash, rush him down before he gets the opportunity. And watch that wake-up. Ermac is very good at being aggressive from pretty much any place on the stage-he isn't anywhere near as good at taking it.
     You're blocking way too much if he's grabbing you-what character(s) are you playing anyway? Just get close by blockdashing (once you block enough of the invisible grabs he'll stop) and get your hits in. Teleport in if you can, but there's no rush. Get in, no matter how long it takes, and then don't stop smashing him round the face.
     Also, without Enhanced, I don't think Ermac can do more than 50% damage.

RushRushRush!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Origina1Penguin said:

@Slaker117 said:

Easy fix. Mirror player 2's screen and controls. Still boned if you're playing local though.

Easy fix as well. Just make player 2's controls reversed so that he and his opponent have to input the same directional command even when on the opposite sides of the screen.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@imsh_pl: I think that would hurt my brain somehow.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Khadyn

@GoofyGoober said:

Shit just remove all the characters from the game cause people have problems. It seems like no matter what the game, if there is an online portion, people will find the time to bitch and moan about a weapon, character, etc, etc. Do people take the time to learn and adapt anymore, or do we all just rage on the closest internet forum we can type into the address bar?

Meh..this is nothing..wait til SSFIV AE is released..THEN you will see the bitchfest with the Yun/Yang domination (supposedly overpowered / broken characters so far)...

Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#40  Edited By Buttenator

@Beaudacious said:

Honestly am just tired of either having "pros" doing 60% combos with ermac if you even do anything other then block, or the scrub running and spamming grab. He ruins the pace of every fight, who's idea was it to have a character that had control over the entire screen? Even if you don't make a mistake, his grab dominates every other animation, and boom there goes 60% of your life with a piss easy combo. This game is starting to wear thin on me, either people just spam one special, or wait for one opening and spam one combo over and over.

Oh no, your opponents aren't playing the way you want them to. You complain about something being overpowered when really you're just upset that no one will go easy on a weak player. Think about it, assuming the one combo people are spamming against you is Ermac's most damaging combo, then they would be stupid NOT to do it.

Anyways, both of his telekinetic grab attacks are punishable on block and can be interrupted by pokes. You can go through them with any armored move. If you get grabbed you can breaker out. If he's grabbing you out of attacks then maybe you should try something that comes out faster or try being less predictable.

Oh, and Dhalsim has been controlling the entire screen since 1991.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, I'm probably wrong, but I'm curious to see this 60% combo that Ermac can pull out over and over easily. Seem to remember some pretty well-known fighting guy playing Ermac at UFGT and his go-to combo was like 41%, but dropped down really low if he missed a hit or two in the beginning of it. A quick search on youtube and the only non-X-ray combo that goes that high is a corner combo that uses 2 bars.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

rub a dub dub... scrubs in a tub

how bout we make it a rule that we all play sheeva? that should be fair, right?

Nurve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nurve

Lol at this thread.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By ElBarto

If you don't know how to punish Ermac, stop playing.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bicycleham

If this is the mindset your bring into online gaming then I have some bad news for you.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By musubi

Being an Ermac player myself I gotta say the best thing to do against Ermac is  get in his face and DON'T LET UP.   If you give Ermac any breathing room he can setup a nice defensive barrier with his  force grab and chip away at you. 

Also, once you get close use cross ups constantly.  Using cross ups makes Ermac's lift at close range effing useless.   And ALWAY ALWAYS  expect a force grab on wakeup.     And never jump in on a Ermac player either. 

There are ways around Ermac  but he is a defensive character by nature so you should expect most Ermac players to try to combat you at mid to full screen because that is obviously where he has the most advantage. 

So either... get good or bitch your choice.  There are ways around him.    

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Insert picture of baby crying here and then say that this thread appears for every fighting game and that the real problem is the player losing because they haven't learned to deal with the opponent and not the actual character being fought against.  So use more skill.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By taccyp

A good Ermac will always want to keep you out, that's just the nature of the character. Calling Ermac cheap is like calling Sagat or Ryu cheap. Those characters aren't cheap, but they certainly can seem grossly overpowered to bad players who mindlessly rush in. To get close to Ermac, cancel your dashes with blocks to close the gap while avoiding the force push and space your jumps out so that he can't anti air you. Try to keep your jumps to a minimum, however. Once you're in close, Ermac is trash. Most of his blocks strings are slow and he doesnt have a string that starts with a low that leads into big damage. You just have to patiently navigate through Ermac's obstacle course and then once you get in on him, stay in on him. Also, don't be a scrub and get hit with wakeup tele-slams, bait that shit out and punish it.

It's always depressing when newcomers to fighting games dub things as "cheap". It's been happening since Street fighter 2 when idiots couldn't figure out how to get past Ryu's fireball/uppercut game. The worst are the players who think the only "fair" type of game is a game where you're both in each other's faces mashing buttons.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JammyJesus

Hew man like totaly like man divvnt like worry like man.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#50  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Beaudacious Your complaint about his zoning game having higher priority makes no sense to me. In any fighting game there will always be a character with the "best" projectiles. Even in this regard, Ermac is hardly the be-all-end-all. It's true that both his lift and push come out very quickly, but they only reach about half-screen. At full screen he loses hands down to Kabal, Stryker, Kano, Noob, and probably Kung Lao, Kitana and Shang as well. Beyond that numerous characters have teleports and a significantly stronger up-close game that they can play such as Scorpion, Raiden and Cyrax.

What makes Ermac so powerful is the fact that he is the best at controlling the pace of the game at mid-screen. This means that characters with limited movement options like Sonya and Liu Kang have to be extremely patient if they want to find a way inside to mount their offense. Careful dash blocking and resisting the urge to jump-in will go a long way towards exposing an Ermac player.

I'm not suggesting that Ermac is a weak character, he definitely is near the top of the heap, but he is far from imbalanced. In any fighting game there is always going to be the character that is best at X. I'd suggest that rather than sit and complain about how much Ermac dominates the mid-screen, figure out a way to force him to fight on your terms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.