Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 09, 2009

A 2D action game from the creators of Odin Sphere, featuring a hand-drawn, watercolor Japanese art style. Originally released on the Wii, it has since received an enhanced port for the PS Vita.

This game is incredible. Go out and buy it immediately

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ

It's been a while since I had this much fun playing a videogame. I've only been playing for about 40 minutes, but I can already tell this is going on my alltime favorites list. Muramasa is pure, beautiful fun and should be in everyones collection. Don't have a wii? Get one, because this game is worth it.  

That is all. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ

It's been a while since I had this much fun playing a videogame. I've only been playing for about 40 minutes, but I can already tell this is going on my alltime favorites list. Muramasa is pure, beautiful fun and should be in everyones collection. Don't have a wii? Get one, because this game is worth it.  

That is all. 

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ArcBorealis

I'm playing it right now. I've gotten over 4 hours in now. Infact, in just a minute, I'm gonna go back and play some more.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By c_rakestraw

If I had the money to do so, I probably would. Sucks too, because I'd love to so that I can play it. Guess I'll have to wait for it to become available on GameFly...

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Cornman89

Want it. Really want it. Unfortunately, I just bought Batman: AA and my inner frugality prevents me from buying another game this month... Something that could change my mind, though: I was initially charmed by Odin Sphere but never finished it off because it eventually became apparent that I was playing the same game five times. Is Muramasa like that, or does the smaller roster count make it a shorter, sweeter experience? Also, how RPG-ish is it with the sword-forging and leveling and food and stuff?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I tried it a while ago (Japanese version).  There was tons of backtracking right at the beginning, and it really put me off.  I haven't tried it since.  The game just seems to start off really slow.  Is there anything you can tell me to motivate me to play more?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Cornman89 said:
    " Want it. Really want it. Unfortunately, I just bought Batman: AA and my inner frugality prevents me from buying another game this month... Something that could change my mind, though: I was initially charmed by Odin Sphere but never finished it off because it eventually became apparent that I was playing the same game five times. Is Muramasa like that, or does the smaller roster count make it a shorter, sweeter experience? Also, how RPG-ish is it with the sword-forging and leveling and food and stuff? "
    There are only two playable characters, and thus two stories.  Momohime and Kisuke both cover a lot of the same ground, but their stories are completely different, with different boss encounters.  As for its RPG aspects, you earn experience points for defeating enemies and earn EXP bonuses for certain actions, like getting the first strike, completing a battle without taking damage, and so on.  The higher your level, the better the sword you'll be able to wield.

Forging swords works along a tech tree-like flow chart.  In order to forge a new sword, you need the proper amount of Soul and Spirit.  You earn Souls by defeating enemies, whereas Spirit is aquired whenever you consume food.  As for food, you can pick up some food as drops from defeated enemies, buy it from a restaurant, or make your own through cooking.  Cooking is a simple process of selecting to make the dish from a menu, which only requires that you have the recipe for that dish as well as the proper ingredients in stock.  When you eat food, you earn Spirit, as mentioned before, but you will also become "full" by a certain percentage, and when you're completely full, you won't be able to eat any more food until the fullness gauge depletes.

So really, if you were put off by the scope and number of characters in Odin Sphere, you can rest assured that Muramasa is a shorter experience in terms of the number of playable characters, but the quality and attention to detail is still there.  This is easily one of the best games on the Wii hands down.
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By masternater27

Pay Day is Friday

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cornman89
    @Hailinel: Ah, good news. Thanks for the breakdown, Hailinel.
    LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By LiquidSwords

Need this game. Don't own a Wii but will buy so I can play it on a friends system

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude
    @LiquidSwords said:
    " Need this game. Don't own a Wii but will buy so I can play it on a friends system "
    I've never done that, bought a game to play on some friend's or family's system.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Can someone explain to me how it, uh... works?

By that I mean how does the whole, sword breaking thing work? Having to switch swords and stuff.

Also, does your character get any better, or is it all in the swords you collect. If it's not all in the swords, is it like a level up and point allocation, or do you just learn combos?

I've been wondering this for a while... I can't play a game if my character doesn't get any better, I'll end up bored. But the game does really interest me....

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By LiquidSwords
    @Claude:
    Done this once before, can't think of the game right now. I eneded buying a PS2 because of it.  Muramasa seems like one of those games that would go out of print latter on and don't want to pay crazy amount of money if it ever does.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " Can someone explain to me how it, uh... works?  By that I mean how does the whole, sword breaking thing work? Having to switch swords and stuff.  Also, does your character get any better, or is it all in the swords you collect. If it's not all in the swords, is it like a level up and point allocation, or do you just learn combos?  I've been wondering this for a while... I can't play a game if my character doesn't get any better, I'll end up bored. But the game does really interest me.... "
    Okay, so on the top of the screen there are icons for the three swords you have ready. Each sword has a different ability, like slicing across the screen or leaving a sort of vertical energy in front of it.  If one of them breaks then you just have to switch to another sword to keep on fighting. You can switch any time you want, but you pretty much have to if a blade breaks.  

There is also leveling up, though like most JRPGs you dont decide what stats get attention. 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm looking forward to it's arrival in Europe. I could have bought the Japanese game a while ago but wanted to wait for a better experience of the game.

If you have a Saturn, you may want to check out Princess Crown also.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I'm looking forward to it's arrival in Europe. I could have bought the Japanese game a while ago but wanted to wait for a better experience of the game. If you have a Saturn, you may want to check out Princess Crown also. "
    I'm certainly thinking about getting it and Grim Grimoire. Vanillaware first popped up on my radar a few months ago when i figured out I wanted to get Odin Sphere, and they've quickly become a personal favorite. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " I'm looking forward to it's arrival in Europe. I could have bought the Japanese game a while ago but wanted to wait for a better experience of the game. If you have a Saturn, you may want to check out Princess Crown also. "
    I'm certainly thinking about getting it and Grim Grimoire. Vanillaware first popped up on my radar a few months ago when i figured out I wanted to get Odin Sphere, and they've quickly become a personal favorite.  "
    I have both Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire, so logic tells you that I will add Muramasa to my collection.   Very good pedigree.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    I'm certainly thinking about getting it and Grim Grimoire. Vanillaware first popped up on my radar a few months ago when i figured out I wanted to get Odin Sphere, and they've quickly become a personal favorite.  "

You should check out their company page, I posted a rare interview a little while back. 
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By DanielJW

Incredible you say?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

If I had a WORKING Wii...then I would. 

Instead, I'll wait for the possible 360 port.  = D

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By beargirl1

i REALLY want this game, ever since i saw the trailer i've been dying to play it. 
    sadly i don't have a wii, but i'll wait for a port since there's a possiblity (there was a thread about it before somewhere) 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

That port is just a possibility and nothing has been confirmed.

Gotta love the internet for spreading rumors like wildfire.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

If this is ever released on the PS3, I'll be there day one. It looks great, but I don't own a Wii [or ever plan too] and I could only imagine getting angry at the controls.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @WitchHunter_Z: The game doesn't use motion controls.
    Roxlimn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Roxlimn

Controls are Classic using dual analogs or dpad, or wiimote-nunchuck using similar input.  The game controls really, really like an old school Gaiden game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.