Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Koji Igarashi: DS only acceptable platform for 2D games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Go to Source  

Igarashi: DS the only platform in which it’s acceptable to publish 2-D games

No Caption Provided

In a recent issue of Nintendo Power (249), the magazine interviewed famous members of the gaming industry in honor of the DS’s fifth anniversary. Koji Igarashi, producer of numerous Castlevania games, had this to say about the system: 

“If [you want] to have the sharp gameplay that only 2-D games can provide…Then I think DS is the only hardware [for which it is] acceptable to publish such a game.”

I have to admit, the DS has housed some truly beautiful and high-quality 2-D titles. The Castlevania games have especially worked well on the handheld.  

What do you guys think? 

The key word is "acceptable" here.  Sure, the other consoles can do it and frankly, with New Super Mario Bros, the Wii does it bloody well, but do people "expect" 3D on home consoles and generally frown on 2D?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't agree, he seems oblivious to the fact there's a renaissance of 2D games right now, and that they've featured on all platforms successfully. This is a classic case of  Japanese developer not having a clue about what's happening elsewhere in the industry. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

I don't know. Phantasy Star Online, Mario 64, Mario Kart, FF4, the Call of Duty games, Moon, Dementium and whole bunch of 3D games that are great on the DS disagree.

But it is cheaper and easier to make a 2D game.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By super_machine

I think it can work on home consoles, but only successful as downloadable games. I'm holding out for a new 2D castlevania game done in HDremix style on PSN and xboxlive.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Cerza
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I don't agree, he seems oblivious to the fact there's a renaissance of 2D games right now, and that they've featured on all platforms successfully. This is a classic case of  Japanese developer not having a clue what's happening elsewhere in the industry.  "
    This pretty much sums it up what I was going to say exactly.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I don't agree, he seems oblivious to the fact there's a renaissance of 2D games right now, and that they've featured on all platforms successfully. This is a classic case of  Japanese developer not having a clue what's happening elsewhere in the industry.  "
    There has indeed been a renaissance of 2D games... downloadable 2D games. My guess is the was thinking of full retail releases when making that statement, and full retail 2D games are very rarely seen.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Icemael said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    There has indeed been a renaissance of 2D games... downloadable 2D games. My guess is the was thinking of full retail releases when making that statement, and full retail 2D games are very rarely seen. "
    I tend to agree with how you have viewed it.  Not say it is absolute though.  Full retail games tend to be expensive and I would think many people look at a 2D game and think they aren't getting value for money.  2D doesn't have to mean it is 'small' game, but very few big titles are 2D.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PureRok

I miss 2D RPGs...

This is probably why I spend so much time playing old consoles.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @oldschool: Maybe, something's lost in translation.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

Another Nintendo executive completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world...*sigh*

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Milkman said:
    " Another Nintendo executive completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world...*sigh* "

Nintendo, ?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

You could make the arguement that yes, SPRITE BASED 2d games can really only work on the DS. But Machinarium and Odin Sphere don't really use sprites. They use full animated frames, like in a modern 2d fighting game or a animated movie. And hey, 2d fighting games absolutely have better outlets than the DS.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
    @Milkman said:

" Another Nintendo executive completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world...*sigh* "

Sigh I guess he only has his huge success to go off of, how out of touch sigh.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By iamjohn

Something is definitely being lost in translation, especially because there's been talk for forever that IGA's wanted to do a 2.5D Castlevania for PSN/XBLA in the vein of Dracula X Chronicles.  Sounds like he's bitter about not being able to get a budget or a team for that (and that the series has pretty much been pried out of his hands).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Milkman
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Milkman said:
     Nintendo, ? "
    That's my bad. Kinda of jumped to conclusion here and didn't thoroughly read the post.  Don't kill me, please.

My comment still stands. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond

Pretty stupid comment really.  True that a 2D game (with 2D art) pretty much needs to be downloadable to be a business success, but in terms of potential game quality pretty much every platform is superior to the DS.  Obviously you can sell a game with 2D gameplay, say Street Fighter IV, with 3D graphics really well.  If Konami put more development effort into their stuff like their Wiiware remakes, they'd have better results.

I've even been wondering what the hell Konami is doing lately.  Outsourcing most of their games development (Silent Hill, the horrible looking new Rocket Knight downloadable game...).  Why not try a new high quality 2D Castlevania?  HD sprites would be amazing...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Milkman said:
     Nintendo, ? "
    Another Nintendo hater completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world  ^-^
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ

2D has been entirely viable on the DS. The same cannot be said about full consoles or the PSP.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CowMuffins

I think what he's trying to say is that the DS handles 2D games the best out of all consoles, not that the DS is the only console that plays 2D games well. Or that's what he should be saying.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

Bioware made a DS game one time, so the ridiculous Subject Zero is just another sign of a Nintendo company out of touch lesigh.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By AgentJ
    @Willy105 said:
    " I don't know. Phantasy Star Online, Mario 64, Mario Kart, FF4, the Call of Duty games, Moon, Dementium and whole bunch of 3D games that are great on the DS disagree.  But it is cheaper and easier to make a 2D game. "
    No no, he's not saying that the DS can't do 3D. He's saying that the other consoles aren't good platforms for 2D gaming
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I would say that "acceptable" is being equated to "successful" in this case, as 2D games really only sell well on the DS unlike any other current day platform. Look at New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania and Kirby Canvas Curse for instance. As Icemael said as well, there really has only been a downloadable resurgence of 2D games. That is a key factor in differentiating the two here.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Milkman said:
    Sight I guess he only has his huge success to go off of, how out of touch sigh. "
    Yeah, okay, Castlevania DS games are great. But they aren't the only successful 2D games. XBLA and PSN do a find job at 2D games and saying that the DS is the only platform suitable is straight up dumb. Hell, there's a great Symphony of the Night remake on XBLA right now.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Milkman
    @oldschool said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Milkman said:
     Nintendo, ? "
    Another Nintendo hater completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world  ^-^ "

@Milkman said:
    That's my bad. Kinda of jumped to conclusion here and didn't thoroughly read the post.  Don't kill me, please.  My comment still stands. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. "
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Willy105
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " I don't know. Phantasy Star Online, Mario 64, Mario Kart, FF4, the Call of Duty games, Moon, Dementium and whole bunch of 3D games that are great on the DS disagree.  But it is cheaper and easier to make a 2D game. "
    No no, he's not saying that the DS can't do 3D. He's saying that the other consoles aren't good platforms for 2D gaming "
    Alright, but outside the Wii and handhelds, no one has even really tried to do it. I'm sure the 360 and PS3 can have great 2D games.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Diamond
    said:
      If Konami put more development effort into their stuff like their Wiiware remakes, they'd have better results.   

My thoughts exactly. I've bought a few and I can tell you they are lifeless in comparison to the original games. I'm most pissed off about Contra and Gradius. 

I was looking forward to the PS3 game that was initially planned, it's a shame that got canned. 

The Silent Hill move is a good one in my eyes, for gamers and for Konami and the franchise. 

@Milkman said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Milkman said:
     Nintendo, ? "
    That's my bad. Kinda of jumped to conclusion here and didn't thoroughly read the post.  Don't kill me, please.  My comment still stands. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. "

No death incurred. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By Icemael
    @RHCPfan24 said:

" I would say that "acceptable" is being equated to "successful" in this case, as 2D games really only sell well on the DS unlike any other current day platform. Look at New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania and Kirby Canvas Curse for instance."

Listen to this man, people. You're all jumping to conclusions -- do you really think someone who's been working on 2D games for almost two decades would say that 2D games can't be good on home consoles?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond
    @Linkyshinks said:
    My thoughts exactly. I've bought a few and I can tell you they are lifeless in comparison to the original games. I'm most pissed off about Contra and Gradius.
    I've tried all 3.  I agree.  The games aren't bad but it's obvious they didn't have their top tier talent working on them.

@Linkyshinks said:
    I was looking forward to the PS3 game that was initially planned, it's a shame that got canned.
    There wasn't much info about that one right?  Just that it was going to be developed by Konami of Japan and there was a character that looked like Alucard, then they dumped it for that Spanish developed 'Castlevania'.

@Linkyshinks said:
    The Silent Hill move is a good one in my eyes, for gamers and for Konami and the franchise.
    I don't know about that either way, I've just heard people griping about the Western SH games.  I never really played much of any of the series.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Diamond said: 

@Linkyshinks said: 

There wasn't much info about that one right?  Just that it was going to be developed by Konami of Japan and there was a character that looked like Alucard, then they dumped it for that Spanish developed 'Castlevania'. 

Well I was actually talking about Gradius PS3, which Konami issued a PR for at TGS '05.  It may still appear on PSN some day, I hope it does.  

These games on Wii are having fuck all intended effect [ . ], they're all better off on PSN and XLA.    
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

More or less correct if he's talking about full price titles considering whenever you get a big 2D release on something like the Wii every fanboy raves that it should be a $10 XBLA title instead. The mainstream reallly considers 2D inferior so you only get full price 2D titles accepted on the DS where 2D dominates still. Sure there are plenty 2D games (he's actually talking 2D, not 3D visuals with 2D gameplay like Klonoa, SFIV or NSMB) still but they don't sell much and since production for masterpieces like Muramasa is quite expensive for the few companies that still put that much effort in it I guess we may not be seeing many more, just cheap downloadable or budget titles instead. That's better than nothing but not ideal at all.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " More or less correct if he's talking about full price titles considering whenever you get a big 2D release on something like the Wii every fanboy raves that it should be a $10 XBLA title instead. The mainstream reallly considers 2D inferior so you only get full price 2D titles accepted on the DS where 2D dominates still. Sure there are plenty 2D games (he's actually talking 2D, not 3D visuals with 2D gameplay like Klonoa, SFIV or NSMB) still but they don't sell much and since production for masterpieces like Muramasa is quite expensive for the few companies that still put that much effort in it I guess we may not be seeing many more, just cheap downloadable or budget titles instead. That's better than nothing but not ideal at all. "
    The fact that 2D is much loved on the DS only leads to the questions about 2D viability on the next generation of handheld, specifically DS2 (or a new GBA).  They will have at least Gamecube quality graphics, so will 2D graphic styled games still be acceptable?  I hope so.  Maybe it is more about the screen size than the power?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
    @oldschool said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:
    " More or less correct if he's talking about full price titles considering whenever you get a big 2D release on something like the Wii every fanboy raves that it should be a $10 XBLA title instead. The mainstream reallly considers 2D inferior so you only get full price 2D titles accepted on the DS where 2D dominates still. Sure there are plenty 2D games (he's actually talking 2D, not 3D visuals with 2D gameplay like Klonoa, SFIV or NSMB) still but they don't sell much and since production for masterpieces like Muramasa is quite expensive for the few companies that still put that much effort in it I guess we may not be seeing many more, just cheap downloadable or budget titles instead. That's better than nothing but not ideal at all. "
    The fact that 2D is much loved on the DS only leads to the questions about 2D viability on the next generation of handheld, specifically DS2 (or a new GBA).  They will have at least Gamecube quality graphics, so will 2D graphic styled games still be acceptable?  I hope so.  Maybe it is more about the screen size than the power? "
    Its about the portability and the development costs. Nintendo is probably being pressured not to release a DS2 anytime soon because so many devs are making profits now on games selling as low as 30k or even less and a big part of that is the accepted graphical limitations allowing games with ridiculously low dev costs to make money. The only barrier now is the distribution, and the DSi seems to be trying to address that with DSiWare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.