Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintendo 3DS rant...

• 59 results
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Yukoei

Okay guys, so some of you might know I was very unsure whether or not to purchase a Nintendo DSi XL and this morning I found out that the Nintendo 3DS was official announced...my heart was broken =( 

Why would Nintendo even think of announcing a new hand-held right before of the Nintendo DSi XL release? was is the point of even having an XL if in a year it will be obsolete? This has to be the stupidest thing ever and sadly people who don't keep up with gaming news will be suckered into buying and XL. 

Someone tell me, would Sony come out with a Playstation 3 slim then announce a Playstation 4 to be released a year later? maybe 2 or 3 is okay but ONE?  

I'm just glad that they announced it before I got my DSi XL or else I would have raged, I mean REALLY Nintendo? REALLY? I've just about given up with any hand-helds, and that includes Sony's, why do they need to update everything all of the time? I mean the PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 and then GO? and they DS. DS lite, DSi and DSi XL?! What is the point?! 

Goddamit. now I have to wait another year to get my handeld =( 

They better not announce the 3DS lite a year after that.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Yukoei

Okay guys, so some of you might know I was very unsure whether or not to purchase a Nintendo DSi XL and this morning I found out that the Nintendo 3DS was official announced...my heart was broken =( 

Why would Nintendo even think of announcing a new hand-held right before of the Nintendo DSi XL release? was is the point of even having an XL if in a year it will be obsolete? This has to be the stupidest thing ever and sadly people who don't keep up with gaming news will be suckered into buying and XL. 

Someone tell me, would Sony come out with a Playstation 3 slim then announce a Playstation 4 to be released a year later? maybe 2 or 3 is okay but ONE?  

I'm just glad that they announced it before I got my DSi XL or else I would have raged, I mean REALLY Nintendo? REALLY? I've just about given up with any hand-helds, and that includes Sony's, why do they need to update everything all of the time? I mean the PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 and then GO? and they DS. DS lite, DSi and DSi XL?! What is the point?! 

Goddamit. now I have to wait another year to get my handeld =( 

They better not announce the 3DS lite a year after that.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yukoei

*Flameshield*

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne
    Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vamino

Think of it as the Virtual Boy 2, and you'll have no regrets about buying a DSi XL right now.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yukoei
    @Vamino said:
    " Think of it as the Virtual Boy 2, and you'll have no regrets about buying a DSi XL right now. "
    How dare you mention ''that'' console, it disgusted me D:
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kibblez

In all honesty though, I bet you'd be even more pissed if you bought an XL and THEN learnt about the 3DS after.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vamino

Just calling it as I see it. I can't honestly imagine why they're jumping on the 3D bandwagon again after the miserable VB. I guess it's the 'hot' thing right now, but I could seriously do without it. Just do not care for 3D at all, basically. 

If I were you I would wait until E3, see if it looks like it's anything you're even remotely interested in, and make your decision from there. 

That said, I'd just buy a DS Lite if I were making this choice now.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier

So far the date is march 2011 for japan which is in a year, the US and European date will probably be quite a bit later.

raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By raphaa00

Yeah, DSi XL has been released quite a few months ago here.

And now I am double pissed because my girlfriend gave me a DSi the previous year.

Just this morning I was dreaming while work how should be the new  portable by Nintendo.  Two screen with little to no gap between, for legacy and widescreen games, supporting 720p (Iwata said the next portable will support ''highly detailed graphics'') it's not a bad idea. But 3D? Without glasses? It's awesome, but only this feature brings a feel that they are skiping some levels.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    "
    Hahaha
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yukoei
    @natetodamax: Loving the new icon ^_^...not sexually by the way >_<
    raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By raphaa00

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds said:

"The graphics for the next DS will be highly detailed and it will contain a motion sensor, right?" Iwata claims he then replied, "Those things are naturally being required. But do you think it would sell with just that?" Iwata emphasized that this last part was left completely out.

It appears that the extra element Nintendo believed was necessary to really sell the DS successor is 3D.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei

What to do now guys? wait another year? >_<

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @Yukoei: The 3DS is schedule to launch on Japan in a year, but in the rest of the world probably six months from that. So you're looking at a year and a half.  

@Meowayne said:
    "
    "
    That is funny!
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ZmillA

why buy a DSiXL when it is just a larger version of the system you already have (really)

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yukoei
    @ZmillA said:
    " why buy a DSiXL when it is just a larger version of the system you already have (really) "
    Because I dont have a DS >_<
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ZmillA
    @Yukoei said:
    " @ZmillA said:
    " why buy a DSiXL when it is just a larger version of the system you already have (really) "
    Because I dont have a DS >_< "
    ok now I understand your problem
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By frankxiv

wait how are people still surprised by this kind of shit? 

the DSiXL is what? the 4th DS? how many different GBAs were there? 4 as well? 

you don't buy a nintendo handheld expecting it not to get replaced by a newer model next year.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

Well, I am very disappointed if this is all that Nintendo is offering with their latest incarnation of their handheld platform.  I was hoping for a true sequel, a DS-2 with higher resolution and a new sleeker design.  Those were the rumors a few months ago.  Which brings me to my second point.  If you've been a follower of any of the gaming sites including this one, you probably should have known that Nintendo was rumored to be revealing a new handheld at this year's E3.  The dev-kits were shipped to game developers a while ago so that they would have things to show at this summer's convention.  The fact that this "new" device employs 3D technology is a surprise; the fact that it is coming out, should not have been.  For the record, Sony is also rumored to be showing a new handheld this year.  

Anyway, as you've already pointed out, this tactic is nothing new for both portable hardware manufacturers.  Hell, even Apple ships a new Ipod every year.  This is how they make buckets of money.  Tech lovers buy them because they are new and people who've had an old one but are looking to upgrade feel they are getting more by picking up the latest version.  Consumers will always be playing catch-up with these business tactics, but for the most part, the basic functionality between the models is maintained.  In other words, you should be able to play most of the games out whether it's on a DS-fat or a 3DS.   Sony's PSP Go is an exception since it changes media formats and has suffered because of its limited access to content. 

If you want to be safe, don't buy anything before E3.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By XenoNick

I am in the same situation really i was considering going out today and getting a DS but i wasnt sure wether to get a DS lite, DSI or the XL one....and now i have to consider that a new DS is on the way >_<

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust
    @XenoNick said:

" I am in the same situation really i was considering going out today and getting a DS but i wasnt sure wether to get a DS lite, DSI or the XL one....and now i have to consider that a new DS is on the way >_< "

If you can wait a year and a half for it... 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool

How can this be anything except a great thing and totally awesome?  Things get replaced all the time.  I'm still getting myself an XL and will be there for the launch of the new system next year.  I will a whole year of a great system at minimum before the new one comes along.  It may not have BC. but it sure as hell better have it.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XenoNick
    @Jeust said:
    " @XenoNick said:
    " I am in the same situation really i was considering going out today and getting a DS but i wasnt sure wether to get a DS lite, DSI or the XL one....and now i have to consider that a new DS is on the way >_< "
    If you can wait a year and a half for it...  "
    Hmm good point.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure

Is there any particular reason you wanted the XL? Honestly I'd say go with a normal DSi or even a lite at this point. I'm sure you can nab one for $100 or so? 

I guess it really depends how much you plan to play a DS if you get one. If you just wanted it for one game you would only play every now and again it may just be better to wait for this new 3DS or whatever. However, if there are a bunch of titles you want and will buy no need to stop yourself from having fun for the next year and a half (or however long it takes for the thing to come out over here).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Yukoei said:
    " What to do now guys? wait another year? >_< "
    Go buy a DS Lite, the DSi was worthless and this XL appears to be no different, the Lite is small with nice colors to pick from has a GBA slot and the only thing it is lacking is the shitty camera that serves no purpose. And you can get a used one for CHEAP.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yukoei
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " Is there any particular reason you wanted the XL? Honestly I'd say go with a normal DSi or even a lite at this point. I'm sure you can nab one for $100 or so?  I guess it really depends how much you plan to play a DS if you get one. If you just wanted it for one game you would only play every now and again it may just be better to wait for this new 3DS or whatever. However, if there are a bunch of titles you want and will buy no need to stop yourself from having fun for the next year and a half (or however long it takes for the thing to come out over here). "
    I do most of my portable gaming at home (ironic, isn't it?) and it would be much better than having a DSi, also I found this stylus very tiny in my huge hand so the new one would help ^_^
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Daryl

Just get a DS Lite or I as 3D is stupid and XL just takes up more room. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Yukoei: Makes sense, I too do all of my portable gaming (save ipod touch) at home which is why a XL is appealing to me as well. But eh I guess I can use my launch DS until this new hardware thingy. For you I'd still say go for it if you planned on playing it a lot though, DS has so many amazing games.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool said:
    " How can this be anything except a great thing and totally awesome?  Things get replaced all the time.  I'm still getting myself an XL and will be there for the launch of the new system next year.  I will a whole year of a great system at minimum before the new one comes along.  It may not have BC. but it sure as hell better have it. "
    That is true, just because the new DS comes out doesn't mean I have to stop playing my DSi. 

And is the 5th gen of Pokemon on this DS or the 3DS?
    J_Tourettes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By J_Tourettes

I think a lot of people need to work on their reading comprehension. The 3DS is expected to be out by March 2011, that means anytime this fiscal year. I'm surprised there are so many people being down on it as well, given the fact that the DS has been out for over 5 and a half years now. 

Personally I can't wait. Portable, gamecube power 3d gaming with no need for glasses sounds awesome

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The rule of thumb here is: Don't be a sucker and buy every single new hardware iteration, especially for Nintendo Handhelds (remember the GBA Micro? What the hell was that about?). I still have my launch-era DS Fat and it still works fine*!

*Despite the broken hinge, scratched case, somewhat blown-out speakers and questionable Battery Life. And if it broke all the way I would get a Lite because it can still play GBA games.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raiz265
    @Yukoei said:
    " @ZmillA said:
    Because I dont have a DS >_< "
    get a DS Lite.... 

the proper games dont make use of the crappy camera anyway
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Will1Lucky

By the time the Nintendo 3DS is out it will have been 6 years since the original, I'm happy they are finally introducing something truly new. How would you have felt had they announced this in June at E3 for Christmas a couple of months after you bought the XL?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Yukoei:  The right way to go with this is obviously to wait until E3, when Nintendo officially confirms backwards compability, 
    and then spend the next year and a half investing in the best DS games to play on your 3DS. 

Of course, that could backfire and you could no longer have any desire to play the games after staring at their boxes for so long. 
    Then again, since I've got nothing to lose from you doing this, I say go for it!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

Just treat nintendo like Apple. Assume whatever you buy is going to be obsolete in a year. 

I'd still buy the DSi XL (and I plan on doing so) because they say the 3DS won't be out till next year in japan, which means another year and a half to two years away from us. That's a lot of fuckin' games to miss out on, not to mention the 5 years of DS games you don't have now.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#37  Edited By Valkyr

The second model/first revision of every Nintendo handheld is always the one that you have to buy, the DS Lite was the one hanging around for the most time and it's the last to have the GBA slot, maybe now with the DS XL a reason to buy a new one appeared, but who seriously bought a DSi to replace a DS Lite and felt it was a good purchase after coming home?, worst revision ever in history of handheld gaming.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#38  Edited By citizenkane

This is one of the reasons why I don't buy handhelds.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#39  Edited By jacksukeru
    @CitizenKane: What are the others?
    TheGreennite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGreennite
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    "
    This is exactly why, bro. This is exactly why.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By septim

Dude it's been 7 fucking years since the DS launched.

The XL is aimed at the elderly market. That is usually the last demographic to be tackled before something is put out to pasture.

If you're surprised by this news it's your own fault.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Xandurson

I'm not surprised at all. Nintendo would be the company to do this. I'm just kinda annoyed by all the 3D stuff happening right now. I mean, I'm not going to buy a 3D TV, I just bought an HDTV a year ago! Also, even though I need to buy a DS, I don't think I'm gonna wait for this one to come out.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch13696

I thought everyone learned after the GBA Micro.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I've had the original DS since it's US launch in November 2004, so I'm glad to finally hear about a next-gen DS, People continuing to jump on board with the newest DS revisions were eventually gonna get burnt. It's a good thing it happened around it's dumbest revision.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Vamino said:
    " Think of it as the Virtual Boy 2, and you'll have no regrets about buying a DSi XL right now. "
    My thoughts exactly.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Willy105

Even though it's a new system, the 3DS is backwards compatible.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#47  Edited By LordAndrew

Don't worry. They'll probably release another DS model after the release of the 3DS. That's the one you'll have no desire to own. :P

BlueSaol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlueSaol
    Well the XL has been out longer in Japan, and it's not really a new machine, just an iteration in design over the existing one. It's also intended for a very specific market, one that may not necessarily care about the new device. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this DS 2? Or just another rehash? If its the latter then i want no part of this gimmick

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Willy105
    @masterpaperlink said:

" is this DS 2? Or just another rehash? If its the latter then i want no part of this gimmick "

It's the same difference as PS2 to PS3. Except more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.