Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Buying a Handheld Console.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

Greetings once again, fellow Bombers. I haven't owned a handheld console since the Game Boy Advance (original issuing), but seeing my friends entertain themselves endlessly with the DS and a lifestyle that involves a fair amount of travel has been steadily pushing me toward picking one up. So here's the question: which five DS games (not ten, not three) would you recommend to a fan of old-school handheld RPGs (Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc.)?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Greetings once again, fellow Bombers. I haven't owned a handheld console since the Game Boy Advance (original issuing), but seeing my friends entertain themselves endlessly with the DS and a lifestyle that involves a fair amount of travel has been steadily pushing me toward picking one up. So here's the question: which five DS games (not ten, not three) would you recommend to a fan of old-school handheld RPGs (Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc.)?

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Tarakun

If you want more of the same, I believe both Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics have had sequels on the DS. I need to catch up on my DS RPG's also, but here's some games I've heard good things about.

• Advance Wars
    • Chrono Trigger
    • The World Ends With You
    • Disgaea DS
    • Final Fantasy 3/4

Keep in mind, I haven't played any of these games, so you probably want to go read some reviews and see if they're what you want.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godwind

Since you want to "old school" RPGS.

Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Quest 5
    Pokemon Pearl or Diamond
    Final Fantasy 4
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Of course the system offer more than just RPGs.  I would look into the following games.
    Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    Bangai-O Spirits
    Contra 4

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Nick

Chrono Trigger
    New Super Mario Bros (Cause it's just awesome)
    Final Fantasy IV
    Advance Wars
    The World Ends With You

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

For RPG's, go with the TWEWY, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum, and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Also, I would suggest Professor Layton and GTA: CW as other suggestions.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Goly

If you're up for some unconventional rpg gameplay, get The World Ends With You. That game has one of the weirdest controls yet most addictive gameplay I've seen in a while.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

POKEMANS

THE ONLY GAME ANYONE EVER NEEDS FOR THEIR WHOLE LIFE

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Advance Wars and Pokemon Platinum are both awesome, if you are looking for a more traditional JRPG then I guess Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV. Mario + Luigi partners in time is supposed to be an RPG as well, no idea what it's like though.

If you are getting a DS you would be a fool not to get Chinatown wars. That game is badass.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies
    • Advance Wars is fantastic and will last you a really long time.
    • Pokemon Platinum is worth picking up, that series is fantastic still
    • Hotel Dusk is one of my personal favorites, though not really in that category you like. It's more of a lightly interactive novel than a game, but the story and art are fantastic
    • I've heard The World Ends With You is really great, haven't tried it myself though
    • Final Fantasy III or IV are both great remakes, though you can tell their gameplay is quite dated

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
    Sweep said:
    "Advance Wars and Pokemon Platinum are both awesome, if you are looking for a more traditional JRPG then I guess Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV. Mario + Luigi partners in time is supposed to be an RPG as well, no idea what it's like though.If you are getting a DS you would be a fool not to get Chinatown wars. That game is badass."
    MArio and luigi partners in time... i didn't like it. turn based ground pounding is LAME...
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Systech

I would purchase a Nintendo DS because it seems like you have console games covered. There are games on that platform that are nothing like anything else.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By End_Boss

Tons of a great suggestions, and I would love to buy them all. Someone mentioned New Super Mario Bros., and that will be an absolute must. Although I'm tempted to not buy GTA simple because Sweep recommended it, I suppose I'll have to give it a shot. =P

Thanks all!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

No love for Suikoden Tiekreis?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BBQBram

It's been said here before, but Advance Wars seems to be right up your alley, and it really encompasses true pick-up-and-play gameplay, very suited for train rides and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.