Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Notes from Nintendo Direct: New Yoshi, Old Zelda Headed to Wii U

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Ah, Nintendo Direct. You never quite know what you're going to get with these things. Today, at least, proved to be one of the more interesting slates of announcements delivered by Satoru Iwata, as he brought out a couple of new games, as well as at least one major HD remake, for the Wii U.

No Caption Provided

Let's just get that big one right out of the way now. Yes, there is a Zelda game headed to the Wii U this fall. Namely, it's the GameCube Zelda game, the criminally underrated Wind Waker, remade in HD for Nintendo's new console. The remake, which includes fully remastered visuals and GamePad support, will release for the console this fall.

Mention was briefly made of a new Zelda game as well, but series producer Eiji Aonuma had no significant details to share at this time. So we likely won't be seeing this new entry in the series at E3 this year. However, we should be seeing several other new entries in familiar franchises at the show, including a new Mario game from the Mario Galaxy team, a new Mario Kart title, a new game from the Wii Party team, and...

...a new Yoshi game! Yes, Mario's perpetually put-upon dinosaur friend will get his first new starring console adventure since 1998's Yoshi's Story. This new Yoshi game is currently in development, and being headed up by Takashi Tezuka, alongside the team behind Kirby's Epic Yarn. Yes, Yarn Yoshi is a thing. Squeal.

Lastly on the game front, Nintendo also unveiled one of the...odder combinations for an RPG mash-up one could possibly dream up. Intelligent Systems' Fire Emblem series will be crossing over with Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei series for a game currently just titled Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. So that's weird.

Oh, and for those holding out hope for some Virtual Console business on the Wii U, you won't have to wait too much longer. Nintendo announced that the VC store would be launching with the system's spring update, and would include a "selection" of NES and SNES games, with Game Boy Advance joining the fray as well later on. Pricing is expected to be the same as on the Wii.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes of the more immediately interesting Nintendo Direct recaps we've had to do in quite a while. Look at Nintendo, doing things like a company with games to show. Ain't it just delightful?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Ah, Nintendo Direct. You never quite know what you're going to get with these things. Today, at least, proved to be one of the more interesting slates of announcements delivered by Satoru Iwata, as he brought out a couple of new games, as well as at least one major HD remake, for the Wii U.

No Caption Provided

Let's just get that big one right out of the way now. Yes, there is a Zelda game headed to the Wii U this fall. Namely, it's the GameCube Zelda game, the criminally underrated Wind Waker, remade in HD for Nintendo's new console. The remake, which includes fully remastered visuals and GamePad support, will release for the console this fall.

Mention was briefly made of a new Zelda game as well, but series producer Eiji Aonuma had no significant details to share at this time. So we likely won't be seeing this new entry in the series at E3 this year. However, we should be seeing several other new entries in familiar franchises at the show, including a new Mario game from the Mario Galaxy team, a new Mario Kart title, a new game from the Wii Party team, and...

...a new Yoshi game! Yes, Mario's perpetually put-upon dinosaur friend will get his first new starring console adventure since 1998's Yoshi's Story. This new Yoshi game is currently in development, and being headed up by Takashi Tezuka, alongside the team behind Kirby's Epic Yarn. Yes, Yarn Yoshi is a thing. Squeal.

Lastly on the game front, Nintendo also unveiled one of the...odder combinations for an RPG mash-up one could possibly dream up. Intelligent Systems' Fire Emblem series will be crossing over with Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei series for a game currently just titled Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. So that's weird.

Oh, and for those holding out hope for some Virtual Console business on the Wii U, you won't have to wait too much longer. Nintendo announced that the VC store would be launching with the system's spring update, and would include a "selection" of NES and SNES games, with Game Boy Advance joining the fray as well later on. Pricing is expected to be the same as on the Wii.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes of the more immediately interesting Nintendo Direct recaps we've had to do in quite a while. Look at Nintendo, doing things like a company with games to show. Ain't it just delightful?

Arath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arath

And people go mental...

Seriously though reading reactions around the internet, is crazy. People ask Nintendo to do something new, they announce nothing more but a HD remake and franchise sequels and now everybody is frothing at the mouth... I guess people cannot be expected to actually in action reflect their opinions.

zeddis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zeddis

Get Hyped!!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This new Monolith Soft game (Xenoblade II?) is the thing I'm most excited for. I'll buy a Wii U to play that game.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By recroulette

A lot of interesting stuff, none of this is making me go out and buy a console today, but some of the stuff they showed looked great. 

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Goddamn it, now I have to buy a fucking Wii U.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vikingdeath1

I like some WIndwaker. Right on!

MichaelEM3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MichaelEM3
    theMixxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By theMixxer

Wow. That Wind Waker HD screenshot sold me on the remake. Also, SMT x Fire Emblem sounds crazy. Glad to see the Wii U actually has some more first party titles queued up for 2013. I've been using mine to backtrack on older Wii games. :P

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Young_Scott

@Arath said:

And people go mental...

Seriously though reading reactions around the internet, is crazy. People ask Nintendo to do something new, they announce nothing more but a HD remake and franchise sequels and now everybody is frothing at the mouth... I guess people cannot be expected to actually in action reflect their opinions.

To be fair, they announced several new, cool-looking games, including an amazing-looking Xenoblade follow-up, too.

UCRaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UCRaider

@MooseyMcMan: Yes!!! It speaks volumes that this was the stinger to the Nintendo Direct. Could not possible be more pleased.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman

Oh man, those Yoshi's Epic Yarn screenshots make me extremely happy. Also, remaking a 10 year old game and expecting everyone to be excited is such a Nintendo move. And it totally fucking worked because I am pumped. 

Pretty good showing from Nintendo, to be honest. They certainly got me thinking that maybe I do want a WiiU for the first time.

TheEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheEdge

I for one will not be purchasing this game. I will purchase this game.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By retrovirus

That SMT x Fire Emblem is insane. I wonder if it will be straight SMT games and no spin-offs, because if it was Persona x Fire Emblem I would have to buy a WiiU for that.

MichaelEM3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MichaelEM3

It's basically Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@UCRaider: Let's just hope that this one gets some decent support from Nintendo this time, and we don't have to wait years to get it outside of Japan.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By paulunga

Wow, what's with you Nintendo Direct? I'm interested in all of those things, why can't they spread out those announcements more evenly?

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By C0V3RT

"The criminally underrated Wind Waker"... more like criminally bad! Amirite???

Edit: It is a bit trollish, isn't it. I'd be totally willing to provide my reasoning and justification as to why it's bad if anyone's that bothered by it.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alex

@MichaelEM3: Because I'm downloading that trailer and giving it its own separate mention as we speak!

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grixxel

So ... more of the same shit? Okay I guess.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@C0V3RT said:

No. Forever no.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By AuthenticM

This E3 is going to be the best E3 of all time. Seriously, how can it ever be topped ? I guess we'll see.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By devitiffany

Still waiting for that Majora's Mask HD Remake.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By C0V3RT

@DeviTiffany said:

Still waiting for that Majora's Mask HD Remake.

This.

thirteenyahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thirteenyahs

Those virtual console game prices are too much.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By posh

wind waker is underrated?

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rotten_avocado

Where is my FUCKING 3DS news?????

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By EarlessShrimp

See, they were hiding their hand until the perfect moment. Or something....

Monkeyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Monkeyto

Wind Waker remake? Why the fuck not! Great news for those who didn't play it the first time around. Fantastic!

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dvorak

@Rotten_Avocado said:

"What's a 3DS?" -Nintendo (2013)

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By hollitz

I kind of care. But not until something that I want to play is actually released and not just teased.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crushed

Well, they did actually mention ideas for Zelda Wii U. Something about how it'll be less linear (completing dungeons in any order), and that they're reexamining the idea of Zelda being a game you "play alone," so multiplayer of some kind confirmed, I guess.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By LegalBagel

So this was the "we need to do something before E3 to tell people the WiiU is a thing" press conference. Lots of promise, but no idea if they're actually going to be doing something innovative and cool with each of those teams, or just a retread. The theme seemed to be the people who made cool games are working on games.

Didn't they also say the Virtual Console would have super cheap versions of games you've already purchased on the Wii? That's what made me most happy to see. I was hoping for some sort of free, but cheap is better than just reselling them and laughing, mostly happy because it throws down a marker for transfer capability that Microsoft and Sony will compete against. Though that they're still doing some sort of release schedule for Virtual Console again is just weird.

SMT and Fire Emblem is strange but potentially awesome. And yeah, you missed Monolith Soft. Xenoblade Chronicles was the best (only) Wii game I played last year, and the best JRPG I've played in probably half a decade or more. A game by them in HD sounds awesome.

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By confirm4crit

@dvorak said:

@Rotten_Avocado said:

Mansion, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Mystery Dungeon, Project X crossover thingy, XY, Animal Crossing (eventually).

I'm sure there's more I can't think of you.

You have things to be happy about :D

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rotten_avocado

@dvorak: but I don't wanna buy a Wii U!!! :(

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tan

and uh, and also Smash bros.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By JBG4

Take my money Nintendo.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NegativeCero

I wonder who was crazy enough to pitch a SMT-Fire Emblem crossover.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The question is what game will Nintendo re release in 10 years from now?

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By confirm4crit

Not gonna lie, I’m new to Nintendo’s post gamecube systems, just bought a 3DS.

Which Virtual Console… environment is that 30 cent sale on for? The…Wii U one that isn’t out til spring, the Wii (which I don’t have), or my 3DS, in which I cannot find Balloon fight on the eShop.

I might have answered my own question, I’m just confused is all. (Haven't watched the video yet, in class, apologies if it's clear in there, I saw something of the sale on another site)

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Levius

Why isn't it PersonaXPokemon, they are made for each other.

Anyway Nintendo seems to be bringing the heat at the moment, and SMTXFire Emblem could be really cool, if it ever leaves Japan.

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rotten_avocado

@Confirm4Crit: I want more eshop titles. More Virtual Console releases. I'm so not into just downloads, but I thought the 3DS would be a good starting point.

It had/has promise. They're just too slow here in North America for my tastes.

I'm not looking for new titles, just a reason to play my 3DS. I would like some 3DS classic games (I know that's done with :( ).

How about some Pikmin 3DS? A new MegaMan (so wanted MegaMan Legends 3)? Final Fantasy V & VI 3DS? Where's our Yoshi 3DS game? I also need them to announce Dragon Quest 7 for North America!!

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rotten_avocado

@Confirm4Crit said:

Not gonna lie, I’m new to Nintendo’s post gamecube systems, just bought a 3DS.

Which Virtual Console… environment is that 30 cent sale on for? The…Wii U one that isn’t out til spring, the Wii (which I don’t have), or my 3DS, in which I cannot find Balloon fight on the eShop.

I might have answered my own question, I’m just confused is all. (Haven't watched the video yet, in class, apologies if it's clear in there, I saw something of the sale on another site)

30 cents for the WII U virtual console

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dvorak

@Confirm4Crit said:

@dvorak said:

@Rotten_Avocado said:

Mansion, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Mystery Dungeon, Project X crossover thingy, XY, Animal Crossing (eventually).

I guess you're right, there is some stuff coming, but I just wish they had said anything about it. Especially Animal Crossing.

Also, that may be the most positive comment I've ever seen on a message board, especially this one.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By sirdesmond

So all I really got out of this Nintendo Direct was that there was really no reason for the Wii U launching when it did, other than the fact that it was out before the new Xbox and new Playstation. If everything people want to really be playing will be launching this holiday, why did it launch last holiday? Reminds me exactly of Nintendo and the 3DS...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeF
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SilenceUK

@C0V3RT said:

No your trolling is very wrong

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RobertOrri

While this was a fun thing to watch (I skipped over some parts), this coming E3 will be where Nintendo has to prove to everyone that the Wii U is something worth paying attention to, and also to show that they can deliver on their promises.

2013 will be a crazy year, that's for sure.

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rotten_avocado

@dvorak said:

@Confirm4Crit said:

@dvorak said:

@Rotten_Avocado said:

I guess you're right, there is some stuff coming, but I just wish they had said anything about it. Especially Animal Crossing.

Also, that may be the most positive comment I've ever seen on a message board, especially this one.

Sorry :(. I don't mean to be negative. I just bought a 3DS XL, got all excited, stripped the eshop bare, and now am left wanting.

I really don't care when the games come out, I would just like some more 3DS news that's all.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#50  Edited By Vinchenzo

I hope Nintendo goes out of business soon, all they can do is recycle old shit again and again. Draws in all the saps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.