Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

North America

Location » linked to 240 games

The third-largest continent in the world.

¡Please Delete This Location!

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Gump

¡A good example of unnecessary location!

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

How is there only 13 games connected to this so far?

Also, *sigh* thats the point of this gaming wiki thing. NA is obviously a major location in some games, therefore it gets put on the list.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum
    Gump said:
    "¡A good example of unnecessary location!"
    Considering many games take place in North America -- I find this topic unnecessary!
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HazBazz
    caption
    caption
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

Don't ya go abadmouthin' tha gratest game concept in historeh!

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By hexogen

I think It's a perfectly valid location, but why was Gears of War attached to it? The game doesn't even take place on Earth, let alone North America.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karmum
    Hexogen said:
    "I think It's a perfectly valid location, but why was Gears of War attached to it? The game doesn't even take place on Earth, let alone North America."
    This is true -- Gears of War is located in a fictional planet named "Sera." So if it had to be attached to anything, an article entitled "Sera" (if not created), would be the most appropriate for Gears of War (or the franchise -- in general).

Edit - The article Sera is in existence, and Gears of War has been removed from the North American page.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fr0br0

This has to be the page with the most random list of games and characters.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karmum
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "This has to be the page with the most random list of games and characters."
    There are definitely more than 12 or so games that take place in North America, so it baffles me why the list is so random and short.
    hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By hexogen
    Karmum said:
    "Hexogen said:
    "I think It's a perfectly valid location, but why was Gears of War attached to it? The game doesn't even take place on Earth, let alone North America."
    This is true -- Gears of War is located in a fictional planet named "Sera." So if it had to be attached to anything, an article entitled "Sera" (if not created), would be the most appropriate for Gears of War (or the franchise -- in general).

Edit - The article Sera is in existence, and Gears of War has been removed from the North American page."
    Yeah, I removed it, and went to the Gears of War page and found it was attatched to the Earth and United States of America pages, so I removed it from those as well. Man, you think people would fact check before adding things like that.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fr0br0
    Karmum said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    There are definitely more than 12 or so games that take place in North America, so it baffles me why the list is so random and short."
    But I like it the way it is now. I mean how else could Sarah Palin, Scruffy, and Postal Dude's Wife be connected...
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karmum
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "Karmum said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    There are definitely more than 12 or so games that take place in North America, so it baffles me why the list is so random and short."
    But I like it the way it is now. I mean how else could Sarah Palin, Scruffy, and Postal Dude's Wife be connected..."
    That is the great thing about Giant Bomb, but I wish it could be expanded. You could find hilarious connections with games with these type of articles -- I know it.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Black_Rose

I think it's unnecessary, i mean isn't there already a page for USA, Mexico and Canada?

EDIT: Soul Calibur 2? really?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karmum
    Black_Rose said:
    "I think it's unnecessary, i mean isn't there already a page for USA, Mexico and Canada?"
    "North America is the world's third largest continent. It contains Greenland, Canada, United States, Latin America and the Caribbean Islands."

The underlined don't have pages -- so I guess the very minuscule amount of games that take place somewhere in Greenland or Caribbean Islands -- this is needed. But seriously, there are USA, Mexico, and Canada pages.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Rose
    Karmum said:
    ""North America is the world's third largest continent. It contains Greenland, Canada, United States, Latin America and the Caribbean Islands."

The underlined don't have pages -- so I guess the very minuscule amount of games that take place somewhere in Greenland or Caribbean Islands -- this is needed. But seriously, there are USA, Mexico, and Canada pages."
    Latin America is not considered "North", if anything there should be a page for central america, Greenland and caribbean
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene

Ehhh is this page not valid for games that take place before the US was founded?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karmum
    Black_Rose said:
    "Karmum said:
    ""North America is the world's third largest continent. It contains Greenland, Canada, United States, Latin America and the Caribbean Islands."

The underlined don't have pages -- so I guess the very minuscule amount of games that take place somewhere in Greenland or Caribbean Islands -- this is needed. But seriously, there are USA, Mexico, and Canada pages."
    Latin America is not considered "North", if anything there should be a page for central america, Greenland and caribbean"
    I'm only quoting what the article blurb said.
    Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18  Edited By Giantkitty

It really should only be used for games in which you know it's somewhere in North America, but can't pinpoint where exactly or in so many North American locations you might as well put it there. There are some animals and plants native to North America and only NA or a couple other continents too. I don't think it should be a "anything that is in North America" kind of thing - then it should go into countries or states or cities. I think it was Australia where somone put "tennis ball" : yes there are tennis balls there, but they're everywhere - let's not clog up pages with trivially true things.

It's also a good "place holder" for North American countries. Let's say you couldn't think of the country Belize, but you knew it was somewhere in North America. You could look in "North America" to find it.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gump
    Giantkitty said:
    "It really should only be used for games in which you know it's somewhere in North America, but can't pinpoint where exactly or in so many North American locations you might as well put it there. There are some animals and plants native to North America and only NA or a couple other continents too. I don't think it should be a "anything that is in North America" kind of thing - then it should go into countries or states or cities. I think it was Australia where somone put "tennis ball" : yes there are tennis balls there, but they're everywhere - let's not clog up pages with trivially true things.

It's also a good "place holder" for North American countries. Let's say you couldn't think of the country Belize, but you knew it was somewhere in North America. You could look in "North America" to find it."
    OK, that is a valid point, but in video games this is unnecessary, Superkitty.

EDIT: Already exists "Nameless Location" for that!
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karmum
    Gump said:
    "Giantkitty said:
    "It really should only be used for games in which you know it's somewhere in North America, but can't pinpoint where exactly or in so many North American locations you might as well put it there. There are some animals and plants native to North America and only NA or a couple other continents too. I don't think it should be a "anything that is in North America" kind of thing - then it should go into countries or states or cities. I think it was Australia where somone put "tennis ball" : yes there are tennis balls there, but they're everywhere - let's not clog up pages with trivially true things.

It's also a good "place holder" for North American countries. Let's say you couldn't think of the country Belize, but you knew it was somewhere in North America. You could look in "North America" to find it."
    OK, that is a valid point, but in video games this is unnecessary, Superkitty."
    There are probably a few games that are in an undisclosed location in North America, for its setting. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Splinter Cell games had a mission that was undisclosed.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK

yeah i mean wtf did the americans ever do for us??

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Karmum
    crunchUK said:
    "yeah i mean wtf did the americans ever do for us??"
    Since Washington is located in North America, and since Bungie is located in Washington, Bungie made your game that you love so much: Halo 3.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can't think of a single game that takes place in North america, without a more detailed location, either a country, or a city, or a county, or a state or something. And the giant bomb FAQ states: In cases where one location encapsulates another, the association should be made to the more specific location. For example, Resident Evil 2 would be attached to the Raccoon City page, rather than the Earth page.

As far as I'm aware, all the pages linked to this location have a more specific location. Unless anyone can think of any games that take place  North America, and not a more specific location within North America, this page should be deleted.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Giantkitty

>OK, that is a valid point, but in video games this is unnecessary, Superkitty.
    >EDIT: Already exists "Nameless Location" for that!

A nameless location is Just that: a nameless location. It could say in the instruction manual "In some unknown base in North America..." why would we put in nameless location when someone named the location? It's a contradiction. granted it's an awfully big location, but we also have Earth and Space.

We want to be as specific as possible, and only use "Nameless location" as a last resort. The nameless location could be in Asia, Africa or even another planet. At least North America you have some idea (like not meeting any penguins, kangaroos, or elephants in their natural setting and the climate wouldn't be like on Mars or Venus). Granted you could be in a Latin American  jungle or in Arctic tundra in Canada, and I expect the language to mostly be English, Spanish or French. A little idea is better than none at all. Plus we're being "honest" with the video game if it discloses somewhere in North America, but you don't know where, exactly.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gump
    Giantkitty said:
    ">OK, that is a valid point, but in video games this is unnecessary, Superkitty.
    >EDIT: Already exists "Nameless Location" for that!

A nameless location is Just that: a nameless location. It could say in the instruction manual "In some unknown base in North America..." why would we put in nameless location when someone named the location? It's a contradiction. granted it's an awfully big location, but we also have Earth and Space.

We want to be as specific as possible, and only use "Nameless location" as a last resort. The nameless location could be in Asia, Africa or even another planet. At least North America you have some idea (like not meeting any penguins, kangaroos, or elephants in their natural setting and the climate wouldn't be like on Mars or Venus). Granted you could be in a Latin American  jungle or in Arctic tundra in Canada, and I expect the language to mostly be English, Spanish or French. A little idea is better than none at all. Plus we're being "honest" with the video game if it discloses somewhere in North America, but you don't know where, exactly.
    OK ----> Create: "Unnamed North American Country/Location",
    but... North America ------> MUST BE DELETED, RIGHT NOW!!!
    Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Giantkitty
    >OK ----> Create: "Unnamed North American Country/Location",
    >but... North America ------> MUST BE DELETED, RIGHT NOW!!!

I suppose we could do that, but we'd have to change all the other continents too to make them consistent. It seems like a lot of work for something people should already know. Also changing to "undisclosed .. on Earth" and "undisclosed ... in space" would seem to be in order. While correct, I suppose, it seems like a lot of busy work.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gump

I have some arguments to delete this location:

• ?¿?¿
      ?¿?¿
      If "North America" is a valid location, so "the Universe", "Southern Europe", "Northern Europe" must be valid locations too, but those locations would be more unnecessaries things in the database like: Glass, Wall, and others.
    • North America = Cuba, Caribbean, Mexico, United States, Canada, Alaska ... And this. so.... ¿WHY WE NEED "North America"?
    • North America would be attached in many, MANY games because is the major location, with United States, Canada, Mexico... Listed in the same list of locations = LAME!--------------------------------->
    • According to the FAQ: "Where the events of a game take place. In cases where one location encapsulates another, the association should be made to the more specific location. For example, Resident Evil 2 would be attached to the Raccoon City page, rather than the Earth page. While it's possible to have a mobile location, if its primary role is that of transportation, it should be an object"
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#28  Edited By LordAndrew

I find Unnamed North American Country/Location to be just as useless as this page. So now we have two useless pages to delete. Yippee!

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Karmum said:
    "Hexogen said:

Edit - The article Sera is in existence, and Gears of War has been removed from the North American page."
    the wiki mechanic at work.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mike

Are there any games which specifically reference North America as a location?  There has to be at least one out there, right?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    MB said:
    "Are there any games which specifically reference North America as a location?  There has to be at least one out there, right?"
    Fracture?
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gump
    MB said:
    "Are there any games which specifically reference North America as a location?  There has to be at least one out there, right?"
    Oh well, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur II, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Gears of War, Cabela's Grand Slam Hunting: North American 29, The Spy's Adventures in North America, Resistence 2, Palin, Obama, McCain, blah, blah.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Black_Rose
    Gump said:
    "Oh well, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur II, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Gears of War, Cabela's Grand Slam Hunting: North American 29, The Spy's Adventures in North America, Resistence 2, Palin, Obama, McCain, blah, blah.
    "
    Silent Hill: Homecoming takes place in New England, it was unnecessary to add North America, USA or Earth as location.
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gump
    Black_Rose said:
    "Silent Hill: Homecoming takes place in New England, it was unnecessary to add North America, USA or Earth as location."
    Yeah, that is what I'm trying to explain in my argumentation. but, nobody can understand me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.