Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is another take on the Pac-Man experience adding ghosts, bombs and other new features to modernize the game.
New features include:
- Three difficulty settings for each mode (Easy, Medium, Expert).
- Bombs that send the ghosts back to theirghost house (activated with the Right Trigger, but cuts the multiplier in half).
- Sleeping ghosts that "wake up" upon moving past them.
- "Bullet time" in near-death experiences, allowing players to escape ghosts with careful movement or bombs.
In late 2013, Namco Bandai will release a free update to owners of the game, which renames it "Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+" and adds new achievements, maps, and map skins.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX was originally released for Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network (for PS3) in November 2010. It was later released on Windows Phone in 2011 and the Windows Store (for Windows 8 and RT) in January 2013. The DX+ edition will be available for PC in September 2013.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX expands on the classic Pac-Man gameplay with the same visual style of Pac-Man Championship Edition.
Instead of running away from four ghosts within the maze, Pac-Man wants to get as many ghosts as he can to follow them. Throughout the maze are sleeping ghosts and to get them to follow Pac-Man he must run past them and they will follow Pac-Man. More ghosts will spawn at intervals during the game allowing Pac-Man to wake more of them up.
Power pellets will spawn at intervals, which when Pac-Man eats them he can turn around chomp on the ghosts trailing behind them. The more ghosts Pac-Man eat the higher your score will be, but the more Ghost chasing Pac-Man means higher risk.
The longer the round goes on for the faster Pac-Man will move, his speed and the ghosts speed increases gradually during the game.
In order to keep the game progressing, players must eat all the pellets in one half of the level. Once they have done this, an item will appear, and once that is collected that half will "respawn" with all new pellets and ghosts for you to eat. The key to keeping the game going is to alternate between the two halves of the level without missing any pellets.
Pac-Man has a new ability which allows him to drop a bomb, by dropping a bomb he can remove all the moving ghosts and send them back to the Ghost house, they will eventually all come back out still following Pac-Man in a train. Anytime Pac-Man uses a bomb it cuts down his speed slowing down the speed off the game.
Whenever Pac-Man is about to run into a ghost, the game will enter death-brushing mode (similar to bullet-time) where everything will slow down giving the player a chance to traverse out of the way from the ghosts or deploy a bomb.
Before the round starts, you have the option to change the background visuals, the characters sprites and background music. These visuals range from different pixelated and retro effects including a Pac-Mania theme.
- Score Attack - Get as many points as you can before either the timer expires or you lose all your lives.
- Time Trial - Collect all the items in the level in the fastest time. This mode ignores score, instead encouraging players to speed through the levels without paying much attention to eating ghosts.
- Ghost Combo - Wake up as many ghosts as you can and get them to follow you and then use a power pellet to eat all of them in one go, this mode keeps going until you exit yourself or the timer expires. Each time you eat more ghosts it overwrites your last score.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ is a free update to Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. The update adds "improved leaderboard functionality," new achievements, and support for DLC. Current paid DLC plans include mazes, music, and "maze skins" based on Dig Dug and Rally-X.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX features a selection of new mazes including Championship I, the original maze from the first Pac-Man championship game and a free mode which allows you to choose your own map and freestyle settings. The new mazes included in the game are:
- Championship II
- Championship I
The Soundtrack to the game was released on November 23, 2010 by Namco Bandai Games Inc. under the Namco Sounds artist name. It consists of 7 electronic / club tracks, including Giant Bomb's top pick for Best Original Song of 2010, "Entrance".
|Track #||Song Title||Running Time|
|7.||"Pac Man Ce Bgm"||5:06|
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX 9 graphics device
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 500 MB available space
Windows Store Version
- OS: Windows 8, Windows RT
- CPU: 2.0 GHz or faster (Excluding Intel Atom and other CPUs for mobile devices)
- RAM: 2 GB or higher (x86), 4 GB or higher (x64)
- Hard Drive: 500 MB available space
- Graphics Card VRAM: 512MB or higher
- DirectX: Version 9.1 or higher
- A tablet PC or a monitor that supports multi-touch is required to use the touch controls.
- Supports Xbox360 USB controllers