Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Dedicated Servers Confirmed For Call of Duty: Black Ops

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

And Treyarch are instantly superior.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60

Good.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax

kinda figured it would happen. they wouldnt want to put up with the whiny bullshit that makes up the PC community

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Ace829

This sort of confirms that the IW.net thing was not Activision's doing, but Infinity Ward's.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

Dedicated servers? I almost forgot what those were...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz

Straight up, do not turn this into another bullshit topic where everyone and their granny comes in and starts crapping all over Activision. Lets discuss the topic at hand, not crazy conspiracy theories and personal vendettas against a publisher.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hamz said:
    " Straight up, do not turn this into another bullshit topic where everyone and their granny comes in and starts crapping all over Activision. Lets discuss the topic at hand, not crazy conspiracy theories and personal vendettas against a publisher. "
    But...what about the aliens? *Tin foil hat* 

But this is good news for PC players. I am still surprised MW2 did not have this. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:
    " kinda figured it would happen. they wouldnt want to put up with the whiny bullshit that makes up the PC community "
    Yay for people not understanding anything yet still spouting out bullshit.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ryax
    @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " kinda figured it would happen. they wouldnt want to put up with the whiny bullshit that makes up the PC community "
    Yay for people not understanding anything yet still spouting out bullshit. "
    yup, i dont know the pc community or how it acts when something doesnt go their way. you caught me.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:
    yup, i dont know the pc community or how it acts when something doesnt go their way. you caught me. "
    No, you clearly don't understand why the PC community was angry over no dedicated servers. Just because they are unhappy with something doesn't make them whiny. So simply don't even talk about things you don't understand fully.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ryax
    @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:
    yup, i dont know the pc community or how it acts when something doesnt go their way. you caught me. "
    No, you clearly don't understand why the PC community was angry over no dedicated servers. Just because they are unhappy with something doesn't make them whiny. So simply don't even talk about things you don't understand fully. "
    so all the petitions and boycotts didnt make the pc community seem whiny to you? all the bitching we heard up until the release isnt whining? 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:
    No, you clearly don't understand why the PC community was angry over no dedicated servers. Just because they are unhappy with something doesn't make them whiny. So simply don't even talk about things you don't understand fully. "
    so all the petitions and boycotts didnt make the pc community seem whiny to you? all the bitching we heard up until the release isnt whining?  "
    No, complaining about something legitimate is not whining.. this is something most people cannot seem to grasp.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

I'd say it's a direct response to how vocal EA were about their support of the PC community.  EA were blatantly pandering, but at this point. Activision probably needs the goodwill more than they need the money (if IW.net even managed that).  With IW's forced defection, the FPS market just got a lot more competitive than it has been for the last few years, and how each company is perceived could make all the difference.  Maybe BC2 ate into their Stimulus Package sales more than they were expecting.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ryax
    @CL60: i could come one here and bitch about how the government sucks sometimes. which they do. thats legitimate, do you think anyone on the internet would consider that whining?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo
    @Ryax said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:
    Well... it looks like it worked, doesn't it?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:

" @CL60: i could come one here and bitch about how the government sucks sometimes. which they do. thats legitimate, do you think anyone on the internet would consider that whining? "

People claiming it's whining isn't even the problem here...it's the fact that it's not whining...which the PC community wasn't. Nor would you be if you complained about the government, regardless if people said you were..

So I guess according to you nobody is allowed to express outrage, or disagreement with something without being a whiner...kay.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ryax
    @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:
    " @CL60: i could come one here and bitch about how the government sucks sometimes. which they do. thats legitimate, do you think anyone on the internet would consider that whining? "
    People claiming it's whining isn't even the problem here...it's the fact that it's not whining...which the PC community wasn't. Nor would you be if you complained about the government, regardless if people said you were..  So I guess according to you nobody is allowed to express outrage, or disagreement with something without being called a whiner...kay. "
    thats how the internet works buddy.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Tiwi

trey-do what infin-don't

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:

People claiming it's whining isn't even the problem here...it's the fact that it's not whining...which the PC community wasn't. Nor would you be if you complained about the government, regardless if people said you were..  So I guess according to you nobody is allowed to express outrage, or disagreement with something without being called a whiner...kay. "
    thats how the internet works buddy. "
    Uhh. what? Your response to this doesn't even make any sense...well obviously that's how the internet works..I just fucking said that..it's the fact that they ARE NOT WHINING. People like you just seem to think they are for some reason.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ace829
    @tiwi said:
    " trey-do what infin-don't "
    Haha! Nice.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kishan6
    @Hamz said:
    " And Treyarch are instantly superior. "
    QFT
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Three0neFive

*sigh*

I believe, in my humble opinion, that Activision could possibly maybe be trying to spin their greed with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2® on the Personal Computer Entertainment System to be percieved as goodwill with the re-inclusion of dedicated servers into their newest release, Call of Duty: Black Ops®. Again, this is only my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other GiantBomb® employees or community members.

Are you fucking happy now?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryax
    @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:
    Uhh. what? Your response to this doesn't even make any sense...well obviously that's how the internet works..I just fucking said that..it's the fact that they ARE NOT WHINING. "
    yes they are! they complain to no end. thats whining.  go look up the dictionary definition of whining
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Tiwi
    @Ace829 said:
    " @tiwi said:
    Haha! Nice. "
    Thank you, I'll be here all week!
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ace829
    @Three0neFive said:
    " *sigh*  I believe, in my humble opinion, that Activision could possibly maybe be trying to spin their greed with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2® on the Personal Computer Entertainment System to be percieved as goodwill with the re-inclusion of dedicated servers into their newest release, Call of Duty: Black Ops®. Again, this is only my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other GiantBomb® employees or community members.  Are you fucking happy now? "
    Dayyyyum. You need to chill, man! XD
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hamz
    @Three0neFive: See, it isn't so hard to make something constructive if you take the time :)

Kudos on the well written post!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:

Uhh. what? Your response to this doesn't even make any sense...well obviously that's how the internet works..I just fucking said that..it's the fact that they ARE NOT WHINING. "
    yes they are! they complain to no end. thats whining.  go look up the dictionary definition of whining "
    Whine - To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
     Yup, PC players complaining about something legitimately, that basically broke the PC community apart. Is totally complaining and protesting childishly. 

I will say again...complaining about something LEGIT is NOT whining..the dedicated server thing was...you guessed it...a legit thing to complain about...A person complaining that his mom didn't buy him something he really wanted would be whining.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Ace829 said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " *sigh*  I believe, in my humble opinion, that Activision could possibly maybe be trying to spin their greed with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2® on the Personal Computer Entertainment System to be percieved as goodwill with the re-inclusion of dedicated servers into their newest release, Call of Duty: Black Ops®. Again, this is only my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other GiantBomb® employees or community members.  Are you fucking happy now? "
    Dayyyyum. You need to chill, man! XD "
    I am merely expressiong my satisfaction with out Overlords, fellow citizen. There is no need to question such acts, as Their power and grace is absolute.

Praised be They, for They are our shephards.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adamsons

Why are developers so adverse to adding dedicated server support anyway? Is it piracy?

I mean i understand the opposition to adding LAN support now since anyone can just download a game and LAN over Hamachi or another tunneling program, but why dedicated servers?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Godwind
    @Hamz said:
    " Straight up, do not turn this into another bullshit topic where everyone and their granny comes in and starts crapping all over Activision. Lets discuss the topic at hand, not crazy conspiracy theories and personal vendettas against a publisher. "
    But Bobby Kotick stole your computer!!!!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ajamafalous
    @tiwi said:
    That's pretty good.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Too bad im over online PFS games. they've turned into nothing but shitholes full of noobs and assholes. It used to have a bit of class...

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By vaiz

Yeah, I definitely don't think this proves IW was necessarily responsible for anything. This is Activision we're talking about. If they can garner some good will, they'll go for it, especially now. "What, they didn't like when we took away dedicated servers? GET ON THAT SHIT.".

Just an opinion. Corporate may not care about the consumer, but they do care if the consumer is buying the product.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Adamsons said:
    " Why are developers so adverse to adding dedicated server support anyway? Is it piracy?  I mean i understand the opposition to adding LAN support now since anyone can just download a game and LAN over Hamachi or another tunneling program, but why dedicated servers? "
    Content control.  They want an efficient way to sell DLC to PC players.  They don't want PC players making custom content so that they'll feel more compelled to buy it.

Anyway, this is excellent news.  It's not even about dedicated servers, it's about Activision actually listening to its customers.  It shows that we, the consumers, still have some power, which is increasingly harder to come by in this age of Day One DLC and 5 hour experiences being sold at 60 dollars.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Adamsons said:
    " Why are developers so adverse to adding dedicated server support anyway? Is it piracy?  I mean i understand the opposition to adding LAN support now since anyone can just download a game and LAN over Hamachi or another tunneling program, but why dedicated servers? "

Because a) they can sell more DLC by blocking access to user created content and b) after they kill on-line support, people will have to buy the sequel, because they can't roll on private servers.

It's simple money making, cruel as that. Dedicated servers and matchmaking are not mutually exclusive, the latter isn't the natural evolution of the former and isn't cheaper. It's just cash, like in the used games argument.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By mikemcn

What was zombies like in WAW on PC? Was that dedicated servers too?

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Mikemcn:  If I remember correctly, it was P2P with a browser system. 
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iamjohn

Based on stuff I heard that Infinity Ward pretty much had to beg Activision to even allow them to make a PC version of MW2, I wonder: was this an Activision measure based on how horrendously IW.net was received, or did Infinity Ward just make that up?  The mystery gets deeper. 

I'm sure they'll still manage to find a way to sell you DLC, though.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Liam_mk
    @CL60 said:
    " @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Ryax said:

yes they are! they complain to no end. thats whining.  go look up the dictionary definition of whining "
    Whine - To complain or protest in a childish fashion.  Yup, PC players complaining about something legitimately, that basically broke the PC community apart. Is totally complaining and protesting childishly.   I will say again...complaining about something LEGIT is NOT whining..the dedicated server thing was...you guessed it...a legit thing to complain about...A person complaining that his mom didn't buy him something he really wanted would be whining. "
    You have to understand that dedicated servers and mods are what makes the PC gaming scene what it is. So when Infinity ward and Activision come in with their new way that's sole purpose is to make the most money possible, the PC players have a legitimate issue to complain about.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @Mikemcn:  If I remember correctly, it was P2P with a browser system.  "
    Oh ok, I was just curious, thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.