Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Unigine Heaven Tesselation Demo

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Tessalation!!!!

The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!

It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels?

I also want to know how this works exactly. Does it automatically add bumps to textures, or is it pre-made?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

sweet- cheers for posting geno, sadly my old 8800gt lacks the necessary ooomph to make this new fancy fangled technology run as it should, que serah :)

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kblt
    @Willy105 said:
    " Tessalation!!!!  The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!  It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels? "
    Buy more blue leds, they increase FPS in games.

And if your comp lags upgrade it.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geno
    @Willy105: Not quite sure how it works. But if you look at the wireframe it looks like they're essentially taking flat textures and making them like 100 times more detailed to get the new tesselated texture. But don't quote me on that.  

@OmegaPirate said:
    " sweet- cheers for posting geno, sadly my old 8800gt lacks the necessary ooomph to make this new fancy fangled technology run as it should, que serah :) "
    My graphics cards are newer, but also lack the ability to do dx11. We should keep each other company until Nvidia decides to get off its butt and release a new graphics card >.>
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warxsnake
    @Willy105 said:
    " Tessalation!!!!  The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!  It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels?  I also want to know how this works exactly. Does it automatically add bumps to textures, or is it pre-made? "
    Gimmick? An algorithm that takes displacement maps and creates polygons based on depth information stored in the image. The more basic version of displacement mapping is normal mapping, which is the core of every next gen game since 2004 on xbox, PS, and PC. 

Gimmick?..
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kblt

The tesselation is written on the DX11 interface by the graphics card, the dev only puts the interface into their games. 
    @Geno:
    Have fun waiting for Q1-2 2010 release of 1,7% woodscrew edition of your gt300 while I'm sitting here with my superior ATi master race card.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Willy105
    @warxsnake said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " Tessalation!!!!  The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!  It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels?  I also want to know how this works exactly. Does it automatically add bumps to textures, or is it pre-made? "
    Gimmick? An algorithm that takes displacement maps and creates polygons based on depth information stored in the image. The more basic version of displacement mapping is normal mapping, which is the core of every next gen game since 2004 on xbox, PS, and PC.   ..  Gimmick?.. "
    ...yeah.

It just makes games harder to run on older computers, when it is not needed to make a good looking game. I don't care how mathematically complicated it's operation is, it's a gimmick because it's there for show, at least for now.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno
    @Kblt said:

" The tesselation is written on the DX11 interface by the graphics card, the dev only puts the interface into their games. 
    @Geno: Have fun waiting for Q1-2 2010 release of 1,7% woodscrew edition release of your gt300 while I'm sitting here with my superior ATi master race card. "

Hopefully Nvidia's new Fermi architecture will deliver on its promises and blow your ATI out of the water ;) although I suppose you have the right to act smug right now, I am pretty jealous of your 5000 cards.  

@Willy105 said:

" @warxsnake said:

" @Willy105 said:
    Gimmick? An algorithm that takes displacement maps and creates polygons based on depth information stored in the image. The more basic version of displacement mapping is normal mapping, which is the core of every next gen game since 2004 on xbox, PS, and PC.   ..  Gimmick?.. "
    ...yeah.  It just makes games harder to run on older computers, when it is not needed to make a good looking game. I don't care how mathematically complicated it's operation is, it's a gimmick because it's there for show, at least for now. "
    Er, everything regarding graphics is "there for show". Also this will be only on modern graphics cards so it shouldn't even affect old computers. 
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kblt
    @Willy105 said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    ...yeah.  It just makes games harder to run on older computers, when it is not needed to make a good looking game. I don't care how mathematically complicated it's operation is, it's a gimmick because it's there for show, at least for now. "
    Graphics are there for show, we should still play in 2d.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake
    @Willy105 said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Well the best thing about dx11 is that if you dont care about that particular effect, you are not required to run it, and you can run the game just fine like usual with a dx10 card which is compatible with dx11. this applies to anything on pc, its your choice for everything and its upto you.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Willy105 said:

" Tessalation!!!!  The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!  It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels?"

You wanna talk about gimmicks? Look who's talking, Mr.Wii gamer. 640x480 resolution? Motion-sensing controller? Get out. 192x160 is where it's at. One action button. That's all you need to have fun.

Real gaming.  No gimmicks.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willy105
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" Tessalation!!!!  The next gimmick after anti-aliasing!!!!  It just makes my computer games lag. Whatever happened to living with pixels?"

You wanna talk about gimmicks? Look who's talking, Mr.Wii gamer. 640x480 resolution? Motion-sensing controller? Get out. 192x160 is where it's at. One action button. That's all you need to have fun.

"
    My mom had one of those. She regrets throwing it out. It would have been a real treat playing it today.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

I actually have a thread about this including other videos with Havok physics engine if anyone's interested.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Kblt said:
    " The tesselation is written on the DX11 interface by the graphics card, the dev only puts the interface into their games. 
    @Geno: Have fun waiting for Q1-2 2010 release of 1,7% woodscrew edition of your gt300 while I'm sitting here with my superior ATi master race card. "
    Enjoy your short lived victory, you just wait Nvidia will Prevail !!!
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Willy105 said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Stop playing pc games if you refuse to change with the times. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno

Part III is up; this one tests for FPS difference between tessellation and non-tessellation: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEnl8k6BcDs 

It would seem that tessellation comes as a price; while the non-tessellated test maintains 40+ fps most of the time, the tessellated test dips to 20 and even sub 20 fps even on the mighty 5970. Although, these drivers are immature and are being used on an early DX11 build, so hopefully we'll see performance improvements as it matures. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

+that it's a heavy duty benchmark with excessive overuse of the technology, actual games are going to make more mild uses that don't have this kind of frame rate hit but still provide a much improved image. Presumably...

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inkeiren
    @Willy105 said:
    Anti-aliasing is wonderful. I love good graphics.

That's a good thing. Appreciating things is good. Lots of hard work has been put into making something this beautfiul.

I, for one, will cherish it.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By DanielJW

PC's continue to astound me with graphics that I couldn't run on my computer in a million years.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kblt
    @Geno said:
    " Part III is up; this one tests for FPS difference between tessellation and non-tessellation: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEnl8k6BcDs  It would seem that tessellation comes as a price; while the non-tessellated test maintains 40+ fps most of the time, the tessellated test dips to 20 and even sub 20 fps even on the mighty 5970. Although, these drivers are immature and are being used on an early DX11 build, so hopefully we'll see performance improvements as it matures.  "
    Probably a driver problem, because you can maintain steady 30-40 fps with 5870 on Unigine.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Geno
    @Kblt: Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that. But surely there should be a little performance drop? The tessellated wireframes look much more complex than non-tessellated wireframes. 
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kblt
    @Geno: Of course there's a performance drop, because the CPU needs to do more calculations, but it shouldn't be so notable as you said. A single 5970 can make Crysis its personal bitch and servant.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Kohe321

Pretty! :D

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422
    @Willy105 said:
    AA is definitely not a gimmick...
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Willy105
    @inkeiren , @pause422 ,

Anti-aliasing smoothed out the image and removes the dots that pixels create. Not exactly as big a deal as 3D gaming. In fact, most PC games I play I don't use AA, because it just makes it less crisps and uses up more system resources that I could use for over 60 fps gaming. In fact, as resolution increases, the less AA you need.

@Atramentous  

You are what's wrong with PC gaming. You are the kind of people that promotes developers using more complex graphics technology when it's not needed, and causing required PC specs to get higher and higher. That's killing PC gaming, you know, the lack of accessibility on playing PC games. Games should be able to be played on most computers out there, not just top of the line gaming PC's.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By inkeiren
    @Willy105: But no one was making it out to be as big a deal as 3D gaming. No one said that.

I have a good computer. This is a good thing for me. I cannot understand why you have a negative response to graphical improvement. Great graphics are part of the reason why I play games.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kblt
    @Willy105 said:

@Atramentous    You are what's wrong with PC gaming. You are the kind of people that promotes developers using more complex graphics technology when it's not needed, and causing required PC specs to get higher and higher. That's killing PC gaming, you know, the lack of accessibility on playing PC games. Games should be able to be played on most computers out there, not just top of the line gaming PC's. "
    When you buy more video cards and stuff for your computer, you also indirectly affect the sponsoring of games. Ever seen an Intel logo or ENVYdia logo before you get to the main screen?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Willy105 said:

" @inkeiren , @pause422 ,

Anti-aliasing smoothed out the image and removes the dots that pixels create. Not exactly as big a deal as 3D gaming. In fact, most PC games I play I don't use AA, because it just makes it less crisps and uses up more system resources that I could use for over 60 fps gaming. In fact, as resolution increases, the less AA you need.

@Atramentous    You are what's wrong with PC gaming. You are the kind of people that promotes developers using more complex graphics technology when it's not needed, and causing required PC specs to get higher and higher. That's killing PC gaming, you know, the lack of accessibility on playing PC games. Games should be able to be played on most computers out there, not just top of the line gaming PC's. "

Nobody's forcing you to max out your settings, bro.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Willy105
    @inkeiren said:

" @Willy105: But no one was making it out to be as big a deal as 3D gaming. No one said that.  I have a good computer. This is a good thing for me. I cannot understand why you have a negative response to graphical improvement. Great graphics are part of the reason why I play games. "

I have a negative response to graphical improvements when I can't play it anymore. Otherwise, I like good graphics.

@Kblt said:
    " @Willy105 said:

When you buy more video cards and stuff for your computer, you also indirectly affect the sponsoring of games. Ever seen an Intel logo or ENVYdia logo before you get to the main screen? "

Exactly.

@ajamafalous said:
    " @Willy105 said:

Nobody's forcing you to max out your settings, bro. "

Atramentous is.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

Tessellation's been around since like 2000. The pop in for Sacrifice was kind of odd but holey shit you could have like hundreds of units way off in the distance and see them, it was crazy. So yeah, this has been around forever and its in most big games, so improving it is always nice especially for consoles that are clearly at their breaking point. Its certainly better than blurring everything more than 10 feet away. 
    edit 
    Wait wait. I thought the whole thing with tessellation is it automatically simplified wireframes (or made them more complex) based on how far away from the object you were. I think that's what increases the FPS, at least.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kblt

Tesselation has been around, but now it's hardware generated.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @ryanwho said:

" Tessellation's been around since like 2000. The pop in for Sacrifice was kind of odd but holey shit you could have like hundreds of units way off in the distance and see them, it was crazy. So yeah, this has been around forever and its in most big games, so improving it is always nice especially for consoles that are clearly at their breaking point. Its certainly better than blurring everything more than 10 feet away. edit Wait wait. I thought the whole thing with tessellation is it automatically simplified wireframes (or made them more complex) based on how far away from the object you were. I think that's what increases the FPS, at least. "

Sounds like you're describing LOD. I suppose that's what tesselation does in reverse, increasing the detail and geometry of things up close.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Willy105 said:

Oh shut up you ridiculous little ponce. Its a myth that you need top level hardware to play PC games. If you cant run just about any game thats out there for pc these days then your pc is a dinosaur  and you should upgrade. A $300 Dell off the shelf will run even the most demanding pc games on fair settings and that without even having a gfx card.  

Im whats wrong with pc gaming? I just bought a new pc for no more then $500 and its the first new pc I have had in 7 years. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Willy105
    @Atramentous said:
    " @Willy105 said:

Oh shut up you ridiculous little ponce. Its a myth that you need top level hardware to play PC games. If you cant run just about any game thats out there for pc these days then your pc is a dinosaur  and you should upgrade. A $300 Dell off the shelf will run even the most demanding pc games on fair settings and that without even having a gfx card.   Im whats wrong with pc gaming? I just bought a new pc for no more then $500 and its the first new pc I have had in 7 years.  "
    Ponce? That's where I was born. But it's not a myth, since this season I bought a new Acer Aspire 5532 for $320 and a ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics card. It can't run Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pause422

I play games at 1920x1200 res, and I still find it necessary to put AA on because it makes a noticeable difference. Its not my fault if your PC cant handle it with AA on, but dont use that as a way to insult it. AA improves imagine quality greatly in my experience, and I can easily have a game like TF2 due to console customized Ultra+ quality graphics and AA look better than every single console game that has ever been released because of it. A good amount of games on console since the last few years as well, some of them use AA and its obvious when you compare them to ones that dont have it as well.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sjupp

This makes me all warm inside. :3

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Atramentous said:
    " @Willy105 said:

Oh shut up you ridiculous little ponce. Its a myth that you need top level hardware to play PC games. If you cant run just about any game thats out there for pc these days then your pc is a dinosaur  and you should upgrade. A $300 Dell off the shelf will run even the most demanding pc games on fair settings and that without even having a gfx card.   Im whats wrong with pc gaming? I just bought a new pc for no more then $500 and its the first new pc I have had in 7 years.  "
    Ponce? That's where I was born. But it's not a myth, since this season I bought a new Acer Aspire 5532 for $320 and a ATI Radeon HD3200 graphics card. It can't run Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. "
    Thats a laptop, not a PC. Theres a huge difference. Your a fool to yourself for trying to game on a laptop in the first place.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sjupp
    @Atramentous: True that. My computer(laptop) somehow auto-sets my graphics to Very High on Crysis while the game barely runs on low. Bummer :(
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Willy105
    @Atramentous said:
    Thats a laptop, not a PC. Theres a huge difference. Your a fool to yourself for trying to game on a laptop in the first place. "
    And why can't I play a game on a laptop? It's not illegal.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Sjupp said:

" @Atramentous: True that. My computer(laptop) somehow auto-sets my graphics to Very High on Crysis while the game barely runs on low. Bummer :( "

Wow, does it do that every time you launch the game or is it somehow permanently set to high and you cant change it?  

@Willy105 said:
    " @Atramentous said:
    Thats a laptop, not a PC. Theres a huge difference. Your a fool to yourself for trying to game on a laptop in the first place. "
    And why can't I play a game on a laptop? It's not illegal. "

You can play all the games you want on a laptop but you shouldn't be expecting it to run them well. You have to spend a fortune to get a laptop that will play games well, unlike a pc that will do just fine. Hell, allot of games still say that they aren't supported for use on laptops(in other words, they may or may not work and either way they wont offer support). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.