Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Sony Unveils "Next Generation Portable" In Japan

Pavlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#301  Edited By Pavlo

it is now officially the future.

Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By Vacancy009

If your going to make a handheld this powerful you need to be able to buy a game on your PS3 have it licensed to play on your handheld so if you travel you can take your save game and such with you.  Otherwise its kind of a waste,  Yeah its cool you can have a portable that is as powerful as a console and can play that type of game but if your going to put 14 hours straight into a game and your choice is on a console or a portable I will go the console route every time.  Keep the shorter more casual games on the handhelds that can occupy you on trips and such.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#303  Edited By SomeJerk

Battery life comparable to the PSP-3000, they say. I'm not expecting that measure to be like Nintendo's, which was running the heaviest services and games constantly until the juice ran out on the 3DS, but still, nice.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By bearshamanbro

One thing that's really interesting to me is if they can get it interacting with PS3 games. Kojima was talking about having a MGS game that you can play on PS3, carry your save over to NGP and play there, and basically switch between whatever system you like. That's really awesome if they can get something like this working. Also, I'm interested to see if this will have a TV hookup. The screen has a resolution of 544 pixels. That would look pretty decent on a hd flatscreen and many big games this gen have been running at similar resolutions and still looked good. What I'm thinking is if you can hook up to a TV and sync up a dualshock (like the Go), you basically have a travelling PS3.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#305  Edited By DukeTogo

It will likely be the price of the highest-end iphone or even ipad territory.  Sony has a history of flooring people with insane prices on new hardware, going back to the original PSP.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were $400-$500.

It does look nice though, although the issue remains that playing console quality games on a portable isn't fun, something they should have learned from the last go around.  Portable gaming is about short bursts of play that you can start and stop and don't need or care to devote your full attention to playing.  It's why the DS did so well, because it offered games that you couldn't and necessarily wouldn't play on a console.  It's also why the PSP did so poorly, because it was trying to sell detailed console games that required your full attention and were hours long.  I don't want Metal Gear on a portable, I want fun little games that I can turn off at a moments notice and not care if I lost my progress.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#306  Edited By leejunfan83

this is anti iphone a seriously hardcore gaming machine I respect sony for sticking to their guns and not being swayed by the angry birds 

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#307  Edited By Jackel2072

ok here is some video from the confrence. skip ahead to see uncharted in action. you use the touch screen to jump over stuff....       

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By leejunfan83
    @DukeTogo: i'm not sure the dsi could offer the full console experience if it wanted to the 3ds is doing the opposite of  what you just stated though metal gear, zelda, street fighter and a bunch of other games sure look like console games to me 
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#309  Edited By fox01313

Amount of extra tech in this thing is insane (gps, sixaxxis & more), guessing it's going to be about the same price as the PS3 when it launched & no thanks.

confinedbread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By confinedbread

Not too bad, I've never been a huge fan of handhelds though. They're only good for strategy and pokemon games.  

I think I'll hold out for a PS3 controller that beams the game straight into your eyes.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Maluvin

It's all going to come down to price.  The specs are awesome and I can see it having a lot of developer appeal in terms of giving them options in game mechanics.

detectivepbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By detectivepbert

this is so awesome, will be interesting to see what second party games are in the lineup for this

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By MikkaQ

This is going to be prohibitively expensive isn't it?

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#314  Edited By aleryn

Looks nice.  I hope the battery life is better than the PSP.  Probably not though. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By napalm

This has me genuinely excited, but I also wish they would have stuck with the flip up design of the PSPgo. I mean, if you're carrying that thing with you, how long will it take for the joysticks to become fucked up and skewed? Bad portable game device design is a bad portable game device design. I was really hoping Sony was taking some time to enhance the design and well... actually change it up a bit. Also, having a touch screen seems entirely useless considering you already have a gamepad on the sides. The touch screen came around because of the iPod Touch and iPhone where there were only a couple physical buttons.

Thoughts?

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By Quacktastic

I really want it.  I really wont be able to afford it.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#317  Edited By renachan

I actually like the design, and the size isn't a bother since if I don't have a bag on me it's a weird day. Giving me something for UMDs would be nice, but I have nice working PSP3000s. Much like the 3DS, I'll just be keeping the version before last around :)

Now the question of price will lead me to when I get this, for once I wouldn't mind NOT being a early adapter. Price drops are your friend, even more when getting 3DS too.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By Franstone

Boner? 

Although, why can't Sony just admit that concave control sticks are superior?
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#319  Edited By Crono

This sounds awesome - but so did the psp - the problem is that the 3DS will have a bigger market share.  Nintendo has done a great job in ingraining themselves into the market's collective consciousness.  When it comes to games, especially handehelds, Nintendo is the go-to name and anyone else who tries to get into the market comes off as "riding the coattails" unfortunately.  The PSP has some amazing games on it; nearly every one of the high-tier games from major developers have felt great on that system and offered a lot of "game" as far as handheld games are concerned.

Nintendo seems to be sticking with their approach of moderately upgrading the hardware in their next system whereas Sony is still going balls-to-the-walls style and making what is basically a portable PS3.  Nintendo keeps their overhead down AND they already have a name that makes the handheld market salivate at the mere mention of new hardware - meanwhile Sony is still focused on pushing the envelope - but to what end?  Sony didn't fare as well this generation as times before.  The lead they got during the PS2 era went out the window due to the PS3 releasing at a higher price point and later in the game than the two competing consoles.  The point of mentioning all of this is that consumer confidence has trailed off with Sony and they have become stagnant in terms of innovation - Sony just isn't delivering on what people expect.

I am excited to see how things pan out for Sony and I think this handheld will have the potential to be the most amazing portable device released (at that point in time) but all that potential might be for naught if Sony can't establish a realistic reason for consumers to choose their handheld over Nintendo's.  With the adjustable, glasses-free 3D gimmick and an impressionable market all working towards Nintendo's gain, Sony is going to be hard-pressed to convince the market to choose them over Nintendo IMO.  Sure, they got tons of processing power, but we've all seen how benchmarking plays out - just look how things panned out on PCs.  Sometimes tacking on more processors just isn't the answer unfortunately.

Nintendo reels in the player base with gimmicks that have a huge amount of appeal at their onset but whose charm quickly peters off.  They get people to adopt their "latest and greatest" and by the time the charm has worn off the adopters have already bought 4-5 games and are well invested in the system.  It really seems like Sony is about to repeat history by releasing after Nintendo and with no real "hook" to bring in the players other than more processing power.

Sony has just now sold over 64 million PSPs.  That's no small feat.  But compared to Nintendo's 144+ million DS consoles sold, that number seems significantly less amazing somehow.  Either way I hope that Sony doesn't price themselves out of the competition...

Steamboat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By Steamboat

Whoever came up with the idea for a rear touch pad is very clever. It's great to see out of the box thinking like that.. I just hope the battery life doesn't suck. Less than 7 hours from a full charge and I probably won't consider it. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By Aus_azn

So it's basically a phone?

Thanks for crushing the deal; I'm not investing in 3G service for this thing anymore. By Xmas of this year, all the networks except AT&T (who claims their LTE service is going to be no faster at the start than HSPA+ 3G) and TMobile (who isn't getting 4G) will have rolled out some form of 4G.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By bearshamanbro
    @Napalm:  I agree on the touch screen. There's so many other control methods on this that it does seem a little pointless. However I think the pricing has probably become affordable enough that they're just like "why not". On the form, I like that they stuck with the bigger size. I think this is getting in that mini tablet area where you need to throw it into a bag instead of using a pocket or something. I think the bigger size also let them stick some actual real analog sticks in there as opposed to a flat nub. You gotta admit those are some nice looking sticks for a portable.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Solh0und

I'll buy it but only when there is a big price drop first.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By napalm
    @bearshamanbro said:
    " @Napalm:  I agree on the touch screen. There's so many other control methods on this that it does seem a little pointless. However I think the pricing has probably become affordable enough that they're just like "why not". On the form, I like that they stuck with the bigger size. I think this is getting in that mini tablet area where you need to throw it into a bag instead of using a pocket or something. I think the bigger size also let them stick some actual real analog sticks in there as opposed to a flat nub. You gotta admit those are some nice looking sticks for a portable. "
    The problem is it seems they just made it as clunky and just... not-portable as something like the Nintendo DSi and the iPod Touch. I'm always on the move, and so I can just clip my iPod Touch to my pocket and go. With this, I have to throw it in a bag, hope that maybe the way I laid it doesn't press the analogue sticks and completely mess up the center position. This design would make sense if there was no touch screen on it. It would make more sense to have a flip up design. When the flip is closed, only on-screen controls that are guided by the touch screen. Flip it up when you want to play an actual game. 

I really, really think, aesthetically speaking, Sony had a great opportunity to make an awesome looking design that was sensible and logical and they really dropped the ball. I think the only way for this design to truly work, be awesome and still be sensible and make sense from a design and portable, carrying perspective was a flip screen.
    Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks

....this thing is beautiful.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By ian280291

does this sucker have a UMD drive?

Avatar image for afterburner1978
    afterburner1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By afterburner1978

Maybe I've been spoiled by the portability, power, and convenience of smart phones, but when it comes to the new PSP and the 3DS....... 

I'm just not interested. 

I don’t want to buy physical media. 
    I don’t want a clunky device that needs its own case to carry around. 
    I don’t want to replicate the home console experience on the go. 

For now, just count me out guys.    

PolyesterPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By PolyesterPimp

Day One Purchase for me? No. Eventually though I'll buy into this new PSP. Dual Analog FTW

bmeason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By bmeason

Very interesting. Psp is the portable I have. Will definitely go with this as well.

Avatar image for corpulateguitar@
    corpulateguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#330  Edited By corpulateguitar
    @Franstone: thats because concaved sticks aren't superior neither of them are. 
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#331  Edited By spankingaddict

O my! Dual analog sticks! Getting excited!

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By darkjester74

So, no 3G/phone capabilities as was previously speculated?  Interesting.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#333  Edited By Schizoid

Hot damn, I'd love to have one of these.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By AURON570

YES BUTTONS AND STICKS< WOOOOOOOO

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#335  Edited By Sergotron

I must say just in a design aspect of it, it sure does look sexy and all future like. Also looks pricey.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#336  Edited By Pop

wait I just realized, this doesn't look anything like the PSP go 0.o. Remember that? xD I never liked that thing, ohhh this looks so awesome!!

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By PLWolf

I'll pay whatever it is, but would really like to see it close to $299.99. 
    It's definitely what I was hoping for, in a PSP2, and then some. Can't wait to have one in my hands, but will most likely have to wait til March 2012. :(

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#338  Edited By winsord

This thing sounds awesome, but the obvious concern is price. I'm definitely thinking $400, and knowing that Sony isn't afraid to push pricing limits, maybe $500? I mean, if you think about how much other smartphones cost on their own, this thing would be a steal at $400, so I'm kind of worried.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#339  Edited By Floppypants
    For all the technology they packed into this, none is more important than those beautiful analog sticks.  I thought for sure that they'd stick with sliding nubs, but instead they hit it out of the ballpark by using sticks.  Sony has basically built my dream handheld.
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By ahriman22

They are really, really sticking to their "It only does everything" motto, godamn.    

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By Gabriel

So...could PS3 games be ported to this and scaled appropriately? 

mcdrew77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By mcdrew77

It's all about the games.  Hardware looks fine but what about the games.

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By jamBOT

Oh... So this is the PSP2. Mmm....

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#344  Edited By JoelTGM

dude that has everything.  I want one!  

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#345  Edited By halberdierv2
    @ian280291 said:
    " does this sucker have a UMD drive? "
    doesn't look so.... that's not very smart, Sony.
    darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By darkstorn

I'm not a fan of portable gaming, but the device does seem pretty cool. Price better not be over $250 (and even that's pushing it, imo).

Shrevey3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By Shrevey3
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " Can you watch porn on it? "
    Ask Johny V
    GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#348  Edited By GozerTC
    @afterburner1978 said:
    "     

Maybe I've been spoiled by the portability, power, and convenience of smart phones, but when it comes to the new PSP and the 3DS....... 

I'm just not interested. 

I don’t want to buy physical media. 
    I don’t want a clunky device that needs its own case to carry around. 
    I don’t want to replicate the home console experience on the go. 

For now, just count me out guys.    

"

@mcdrew77 said:
    "It's all about the games.  Hardware looks fine but what about the games. "

I think these two summed up my thoughts pretty well.  I have an iPad, I'm about to get an iPhone. I have a PS3, an XBOX 360, and a decent Gaming PC.  Where can a "NGP" fit into all of that?  Honestly I like the look of it, the features sound nice, and the hardware seems cool as well.  That said, what the heck would I do with it?   

Eh, 10 years too late I guess.  If they had caught me when I was young, single, and not working as much as I do maybe.  But then again back then I couldn't have afforded this. :)  
    umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By umdesch4

Did somebody at Sony watch this video I bookmarked from 2007?

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By l4wd0g

I'm sure it''ll have an SRP of $499, then  a year in they'll take away half of the functionality

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.