Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Sony Unveils "Next Generation Portable" In Japan

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#351  Edited By bwmcmaste

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a GameGear?

otis42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By otis42

This thing is a frigging beast if there ever was one. If Sony really wants to compete with the 3DS this thing will have to launch at $250 or less. If it's anything more than $300 this thing is DOA. But man yeah. Awesome. 

Please let me have 3G monster hunter? Please? If the 3G can't be used for mutliplayer games then whats the point?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#353  Edited By Shakezula84

Well I can't wait for this. I'm gonna try and pick this up day one. If I had to guess well here about North America release date at E3 (although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep pricing a secret until TGS).

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#354  Edited By DeF
    @l4wd0g said:
    " I'm sure it''ll have an SRP of $499, then  a year in they'll take away half of the functionality "
    I am seriously questioning if they have learned anything from the PSP at all. This sounds like the same exact scenario + extra thumbstick and weird features (touchpad/s - that uncharted tech demo video that is out there is just painful to watch)
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#355  Edited By Daveyo520

Meh

fezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#356  Edited By fezz

Wow

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looks pretty slick.  i prefer this design rather than the flipping design of the psp go.  hmmmm it has a gps?  i hope that a developer would be able to incorporate all these cool functions into a single game.  if so, ill get one right away

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By NTM

I've been more excited about this than the 3DS, and by now, I still am by all means. If they came out the same day, this is what I would buy.
    ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#359  Edited By ValeYard
    @louiedog Exactly! I get that it looks cool, I get a tech boner for it too, but it will, firstly, most likely be expensive (Gamestop preorders are $ 999 today) and, secondly, Sony has a terrible track record with a device positioned in exactly the same way.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#360  Edited By TomA

Meh, i guess it's sorta cool, but if the first PSP was any example, this one will be pretty expensive. Wasn't the PSP like 300 bucks or something at launch? Also, i'm not much of a fan of the PSP, it feels too much like a gimped console in my opinion. 

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By Noodles
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Fuck 3D.  Seriously. Just fuck it.   This is exactly what I want, a portable fucking console. "
    Why?
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#362  Edited By Floppypants
    @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @ian280291 said:
    " does this sucker have a UMD drive? "
    doesn't look so.... that's not very smart, Sony. "
    The UMD is one of the PSP's worst features.  Spinning the disk drains the battery, is loud, and they take forever to read.  Ditching UMD is Sony learning from their mistakes.  Saddling the PSP2 with a UMD drive is like sticking VHS in a DVD player.
    matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#363  Edited By matt_f606

I think my money still goes to the 3DS. Possibly too early to tell though.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By delorean99947
    @Noodles: Probably to play PS3 equivalent games away from home, like Uncharted. 
    leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By leejunfan83
    @DeF: what should sony do then? what would you have done?
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#366  Edited By Dreamfall31

looks damn good, but I have all 6 PSP games I ever wanted....3DS is probably gonna be my pick...possibly get this though when the price is super low

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#367  Edited By Stefan

Funny, the first thought that came to my mind was how they will counter their bootlegging problems. The PSP was even easier to hack than the old Xbox but Microsoft did a pretty good job getting rid or at least limiting the problem. The 360 was hackable pretty early on but Microsoft was clever enough to include many features that most casual players wanted so they didn't bother to hack it.

GuardianKnux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#368  Edited By GuardianKnux

The following is my side of a conversation about the NGP I've been having on facebook

It sure looks sexy, but so did the original PSP and that was statistically a huge failure. 

The main problem with the first PSP (besides the awful controls) was that because the graphics were close to consoles, just about everybody decided  to make console game on a handheld. Which is a bad idea. 

The best thing that ever happend to the PSP was when you could hook up a PSPgo to your TV and use bluetooth to connect a controller to it. So you could play PSP games on the TV with a real controller. But Wouldn't you rather play PS3 games on the PS3 than on a jury rigged handheld?

I don't hate sony and I don't hate the idea of a new PSP, but I feel like sony has a lot to make up for with the new PSP, It just feels like they haven't learned any lessons from their last portable device. Well, I bet they lock down the whole piracy UMD thing this time lol     

I doubt it will be lower than $500. I think the phone approach is a really smart idea. Phone gaming has really been eating into handheld gaming for a good couple of years now 

I think they will take the iPhone approach and sell it for som ewhere around $500 or $600, but offer some crazy discount if you get it with a contract.
    Same as the iPhone. it's $600 bucks but I only paid $200 when I renewed my contract.     

I guess I should clarify that when I say "the phone approach" I mean going with 3G connectivity. 

Although with it already having 3G in there it wouldn't take much extra tech to turn it into a phone, plus they already announced the Plastati on phone a while back. They could just scrap that project and roll it into the NGP. Sure sony ericsson is a different part of the company than their gaming division, but they still could work together. They are missing a giant opportunity here. 

Most people don't want to carry around multiple portable devices. I only really play my handhelds at home or at a friends place. If I really need to do some gaming on the go then I just play with my phone. The phone games often aren't as full featured or lengthy as on a dedicated gaming device, but thats fine while I'm waiting in line somewhere, or waiting for food or something. Having everything all wrapped up into one device would net them so much more profit. 

Sure there's exceptions to my above example. If I'm going out of town or something I'd want to take my handheld with me ect. But I only have so much space in my pockets. And most of my buys on my iPhone are made on impulse. Someone says "hey have you seen that new app?" then I'll whip out my phone and buy it for a dollar or two right then and there. 

By making it a phone you make it an essential device that you NEED to have on you at all times. When I step out of my house I take with me my keys, my wallet, and my phone. I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff with me at all times, if I have to decide on my phone or a handheld, I'm gonna take the phone every time. Plus if they put the "playstation suite" on there, that basically would act like an app store, meaning that people would impulse buy on the go just like the iPhone and Android app stores.

Again, I'm not hating on it, it looks really cool, plus with them adding the touch screen it will make it much easier for iPhone game developers to port over existing games. If this WAS a phone, it would seem like the only thing capable of beating out the iPhone as the best phone out there. I'm just disappointed at a lost opportunity.    

rav84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By rav84

The two things I think are most important here... the battery life and what will it cost ? Hope it lives up to the hype that it is creating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9fd920ca027
    deactivated-5b9fd920ca027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything on price or umd support?

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#371  Edited By Elusionar

I say 399$ for a basic "NGP" and 499$ for the one with a biger storage capability.   
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By mattysen

Nah......Not sold, buying a PSP was probably the biggest waste of money I've ever committed in my life. Giving me something with the same design but with upgrades around everything hardware isn't going to make up for it -- release Peace Walker 2 and Persona 4 Portable then will talk

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By DeF
    @leejunfan83 said:
    " @DeF: what should sony do then? what would you have done? "
    dunno. maybe I'm just in a bad mood but I really don't see the appeal. they have to show me something cool - other than pretty graphics - to really excite me.

however, I don't see this working any better in terms of sales than the PSP did/does. I wanna know if this thing will be able to play PSP games (the only option seems to be digital distribution since there's no UMD drive but what about all those titles that don't even come out on the PSN store?) 'cause that's the reason I haven't bought an original PSP so far. I wanna see useful/enticing uses of the touchscreen/touchpad/sixaxis stuff. That Uncharted tech demo just looks stupid - nobody is going to use any of those functionalities when playing THAT game (*maybe* the swining thing). They should've shown actual software demoing some of the stuff properly. I don't know, it's a weird unveiling. I expected them to roll out more info - now they have to really tell me why this is awesome at GDC or E3.
    deathmill3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By deathmill3002
    @swamplord666: exactly its almost like the gb crew opinions are rubbing off on people
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#375  Edited By halberdierv2
    @Floppypants said:
    " @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @ian280291 said:
    The UMD is one of the PSP's worst features.  Spinning the disk drains the battery, is loud, and they take forever to read.  Ditching UMD is Sony learning from their mistakes.  Saddling the PSP2 with a UMD drive is like sticking VHS in a DVD player. "
    not everyone has the money to re-buy their entire PSP collection just to have it in digital format.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Kyle
    @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @Floppypants said:
    " @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @ian280291 said:
    The UMD is one of the PSP's worst features.  Spinning the disk drains the battery, is loud, and they take forever to read.  Ditching UMD is Sony learning from their mistakes.  Saddling the PSP2 with a UMD drive is like sticking VHS in a DVD player. "
    not everyone has the money to re-buy their entire PSP collection just to have it in digital format. "
    but... you still have a psp... 

UMD is dead. putting an optical media drive on a handheld entirely for the sake of backwards compatibility would be insane. I mean, doing it in the first place was crazy, doing it only for BC would be ludicrous.
    DigitalFirefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By DigitalFirefly

I'm predicting $399 Wifi, $499 3G/Wifi, launching March 2012 in the US.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By Kyle

The system definitely sounds cool, but I'm VERY concerned about the price. The fact that they keep trying to hammer the idea that "it's just like a PS3!!" into your head just screams that they're trying to soften the blow for when they announce how much it's going to cost.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#379  Edited By Undeadpool

Any word on price point?

SteevDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By SteevDave
    @Kyle said:
    " @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @Floppypants said:
    " @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @ian280291 said:
    not everyone has the money to re-buy their entire PSP collection just to have it in digital format. "
    but... you still have a psp...  UMD is dead. putting an optical media drive on a handheld entirely for the sake of backwards compatibility would be insane. I mean, doing it in the first place was crazy, doing it only for BC would be ludicrous. "
    Well some sort of adapter would be nice.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#381  Edited By Siphillis

Good on Sony for actually combatting the smartphone-gaming industry with pure horsepower, rather than bypassing the issue with - and I'm paraphrasing Vinny here - unnecessary stereoscopic 3D.  

As always, it's the games that'll determine the survivability of this console, so they'll need to look great, load fast, and be only feasible on a dedicated video game device. 

Get to it, Sony!

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#382  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'd buy it for $250 or even $300, but what are the chances of that happening?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after looking at a few videos about this and even an uncharted tech demo, theres a good chance im going to pre-order this.  (then again i said that for everything, including force unleashed 2, thank god i didnt)

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#384  Edited By Levio

Dual analogs, touchscreen, tilt, and raw power... 

If the price is right, and the games are decent, this could compete with the 3DS.  But I guess pricing and game selection are the two big variables with every system...

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Siphillis said:
    " Good on Sony for actually combatting the smartphone-gaming industry with pure horsepower, rather than bypassing the issue with - and I'm paraphrasing Vinny here - unnecessary stereoscopic 3D.    As always, it's the games that'll determine the survivability of this console, so they'll need to look great, load fast, and be only feasible on a dedicated video game device.  Get to it, Sony! "
    I don't know i think Vinny and everyone else on the bombcrew for that matter is seeling 3ds a bet short. I think it will all come down to what the NGP will cost because It sounds great on paper but they need to do more then having a ps3 in my pocket. But like you said games will be the factor for both these things.
    Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By Tophat666

If this launches higher then $300, it's going to have a hard time when it comes out.
    But god that looks sexy as shit.
    I'm getting 1 regardless, just not @ launch.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#387  Edited By Spiritof

My gut tells me that it will launch for $399.

The peculiars about the NGP are kinda nitpicky for me:

Battery life?
    Internal memory? How much?
    Why the dedicated memory stick games? Is that just a bone throw for B&M?

The dedicated games thing kinda bugs me. Those sticks are mega tiny, would be a real pain to keep track of, and would most likely get lost. I realize that not everyone has high speed internet tubes, but dollars to donuts anyone who's going buy this system will. Such a strange and tiny format for games.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By JoelTGM
    @darkjester74 said:

" So, no 3G/phone capabilities as was previously speculated?  Interesting. "

No there is 3G.  It says so in the spec chart at the bottom "  Mobile network connectivity (3G)", as well as wi-fi and bluetooth, and there's also GPS tracking.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By animateria

It's weird but that built in GPS system is a seller for me. 

GPS stuff cost around $70-$200 from what I know. And as long as it's a decent price I'll buy it. 

Probably not on launch though... Nope, not on launch. (Same with the 3DS too)

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#390  Edited By sjschmidt93

Two analog sticks,     

Sold.
    Qjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#391  Edited By Qjt

A psp that looks interesting? Hmm, sounds weird.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By artofwar420

Sounds exciting, can't believe I'm excited for a PSP product.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#393  Edited By Vinny_Says

I love how the article about the return of the NINTENDOWNLOAD XPRESS has more comments than this....the return!!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By bybeach

I'm getting it, and I am an old person. 

Those duke Nukem games are suppossed to be out I thought for them soon... 

But this for me is finally the  portable I would own.
    ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By ProfessorK

Announce an Mon Hun title and it'll sell like hotcakes!

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By Rio

It looks fantastic.  I'm quite excited about this.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

It actually looks really nice. Now all I need is MGS and Resident Evil and I'm on board... unless the price sucks... which is probably will... Dammit.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By NekuCTR

Uncharted, Killzone, and Resistance games? Yea, this is totally what portables were made for. To play games that you would rather play on a TV on a tiny, hand held screen.

Hayamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By Hayamo

This looks promising, the only problem is that everyone knows this will sell for more than 300. I'm calling 350 at the least. Not to mention that impressive hardware doesn't necessarily make a good handheld. I mean the PSP had hardware way ahead of the DS at its release but look what happened to that. I personally don't think that 3rd party companies will be willing to test the waters because they don't want to be screwed over like they were with the PSP. If the games look good, and if its reasonably priced, I will buy one, but I do not think Nintendo will lose the handheld market, if anything Sony will be about on par.

DawnShinto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By DawnShinto

Meh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.