Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Pokemon MMO

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rowr

Pokemon MMO.

Do they already have enough money?

Maybe a few years late, but still huge potential.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rowr

I am not sure i would be the targeted demographic.

But so, so much potential.

They would have to work to repopulise the franchise a bit, from the drop off over the last few years. But i think it could be done.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

Technically is it possible to make an MMO on a console?  If not, Nintendo are not about to make a game for the PC.

I would satisfied with a deep, very deep and long, proper RPG game on the Wii. They have yet to do one properly and even though they are a business, they owe one to the fans regardless of cost.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coakroach

If Nintendo fixed there online then maybe

It could potentially devour the lives of millions of children and man-children

It would be fucking AWESOME

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rowr

Anything is possible.

We now have fps on consoles. Online FPS no less.

I dunno i dont see why they couldnt of capitalised on the pc. With the brand recognition they had a few years ago, i mean look at the huge audience of things like neopetz.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Teh_Eel

If there was a Pokemon MMO, I would break my rule of never playing an MMO after WoW.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Discorsi

i thought there was a sort of pokemon mmo already or maybe i'm just crazy

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_

What would the point be? Pokemon'ing in a world with other people pokemon'ing? The content push necessary (probably all previous continents plus an entire new one) with the demand of balancing, updating and providing new content and challenges and activities and systems for the Pokemon universe probably would not be worth the investment. Pokemon is rooted to its portability. It's one of the best RPGs you'll ever play, and you can carry it with you in your pocket. Would people play a Pokemon MMO? Probably. But it's a lot easier to get a parent to buy you a 35 dollar DS game than a 25 dollar MMO with a 10+ dollar per month subscription fee for something that would probably be incredibly graphically and technically dated.

Not that it isn't my secret pipe dream to play a serious pokemon MMO. I'm just a pessimist.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr
    Jayge said:
    "What would the point be? Pokemon'ing in a world with other people pokemon'ing? The content push necessary (probably all previous continents plus an entire new one) with the demand of balancing, updating and providing new content and challenges and activities and systems for the Pokemon universe probably would not be worth the investment. Pokemon is rooted to its portability. It's one of the best RPGs you'll ever play, and you can carry it with you in your pocket. Would people play a Pokemon MMO? Probably. But it's a lot easier to get a parent to buy you a 35 dollar DS game than a 25 dollar MMO with a 10+ dollar per month subscription fee for something that would probably be incredibly graphically and technically dated.

Not that it isn't my secret pipe dream to play a serious pokemon MMO. I'm just a pessimist."
    PC gamer kids are a bigger market than you might think. I point again at neopetz.

But i guess what your saying is. They already make enough money doing what they are doing.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By DragoonKain1687

There was a free internet based MMO called Pokemon Crater, it had all the Pokemons up to Diamond/Pearl and also all the series Gyms and Elites as well as champions. It also supported PvP. It was sort of flash based, I was really hooked with it, cause I could play it from work, but now its dead as the "maker" had to leave it to go to College.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Id like a MMO or a deep RPG like oldschool said

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

I think the Japanese designers of Pokemon think Pocket Monsters should only be handheld games (the main series).  Nintendo isn't going to make a MMO on PC, they just aren't.  Even making a full Pokemon for console is probably a long ways off, if they'll ever do it.

I wish they would make a Wii Pokemon, and especially add character development to the story, so it's at least at the level of the cartoon.  I'm tired of how 'dry' the Pokemon games are.oldschool said:

"Technically is it possible to make an MMO on a console?  If not, Nintendo are not about to make a game for the PC.
    I would satisfied with a deep, very deep and long, proper RPG game on the Wii. They have yet to do one properly and even though they are a business, they owe one to the fans regardless of cost.
    "
    There have already been multiple MMOs on consoles, and even more announced now than ever before.  It's even possible on Wii, but they won't do it.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

Only if they put you in direct control over pokemon, and dropped the trainer crap and replace it with mounds of loot. Pikachu just got a lightning conducting sword? Awesome, just throw in a combat system that allows you to switch between your 4 moves and then basic melee attacks on the fly and you got yourself an awesome MMO.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

What? Why make it pokemon if they drop trainers and add swords and such loot on top?

I was thinking for a home console game they could drop turn based though, but still not give you direct control. Rather you just shout orders @ your little animals like they do in the anime show (not necessarily with a mic, you could just press the d-pad for the 4 diff moves attached to them, and other buttons for extra moves). So you base it in timing. The other trainer dude would yell eh, flame whatever, and you know it takes that pokemon 3 seconds to fire it up, so you yell dodge which takes 1 second for your pika, which is enough for it to do it before it gets hit, then you shout an attack, etc. Things like that, and pokemon fatigue would play a factor in speed, maybe also have some basic auto AI or disobedience factors for bonding with them, etc. Would be hard to make it fun and balanced though.

And yeah, MMOs are very possible on any system, even portables, but they aren't going to make a pokemon MMO. Imagine the pedos flocking. But maybe some basic Animal Crossing-esque multi player would be in order.

Also, MMO was recently shot down by the dude responsible for these, saying he likes how they're about portability and actual human contact for trading (though I hear you can already trade online so that's null and silly?) or something like that.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Dauragon

If they ever made a pokemon mmo I would play it untill my eyes bleed and my bladder explodes.

It probably wouldn't happen though, and yeah mmo's on the console are of course possible. Phantasy Star Online came out on the dreamcast nearly a decade ago, guys.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Johnny5

Will there be melons?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I always figured the Pokémon MMO would be like you design your trainer, choose your first Pokémon, and when you send one out to battle others, you then become the Pokémon, and have all the abilities they have at the bottom of the screen. Just move around as the Pokémon and use their attacks to battle others. You could travel to all the regions and gain badges and such. All of the information is out there, just needs to be made...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_

The Pokemon MMO probably already exists in Nintendo's vault somewhere. It's their last resort should they ever need serious amounts of cash. "What? We're several billion in debt? BRING OUT THE POKEMON MMO!"

Bam, it's fixed.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rowr
    Jayge said:
    "The Pokemon MMO probably already exists in Nintendo's vault somewhere. It's their last resort should they ever need serious amounts of cash. "What? We're several billion in debt? BRING OUT THE POKEMON MMO!"

Bam, it's fixed.
    "
    If only the american economy was as simple as that.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red

Rowr: I think that your avatar would make an awesome pokemon, and I would only buy the Pokemon MMO if your anime watermelon was in the game.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Not only would I so buy that right away, but I think that's probably one of the only things that actually can compete with WoW.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd rather see a full Pokemon Offline RPG on a home console than an MMO.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Red
    MattyFTM said:
    "I'd rather see a full Pokemon Offline RPG on a home console than an MMO."
    But Pokemon's gotten kinda stale, don't you want something new and fresh?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Red said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "I'd rather see a full Pokemon Offline RPG on a home console than an MMO."
    But Pokemon's gotten kinda stale, don't you want something new and fresh?"
    That's exactly why I want a Pokemon RPG on a home console. It'll refresh the series having a full Pokemon RPG on the wii would allow for change compared to the previous portable games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.