Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Poker Night at the Inventory

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 22, 2010

A poker game from Telltale featuring many key characters from their studio along with other guest stars.

5 Lawyers, 4 Developers, 0 Testers

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BlaineBlaine

Good god, man. 

Telltale's forums are blowing up with posts about the game crashing, running poorly or not running at all. I had to chime in for the 'repeatedly opens and crashes itself in a loop' thread as I kicked $5 to apparently fund the QA process for this game.  Barely worth mentioning how many times Steam timed out when trying to purchase it in the first place (took like an hour).

https://www.telltalegames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25  

There's also a massive thread on Steam forums for it. I mean... yeah. I don't know if they were rushing to beat a Christmas deadline like a retail copy, but failure to launch.  

Is everyone else meeting with success or are there problems with the gb users as well?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Even the Burger King game had QA. "Get what you paid for" doesn't really cut it here. Paying 5 dollars for a poker game is itself a bit of a rip, you'd think the thing would be polished clean to compensate for basically charging for a game widely available for free.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

God damn, that sounds terrible

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By jasondaplock

I've played around 15 games and the only problem I've had is some (totally expectable) animation jittery-ness. My largest complaint is lodged at overly exaggerated facial features on the Heavy. I'm running an Nvidia video card and motherboard on Win7 64 Ultimate, for those curious.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats
    @ryanwho: You aren't really paying for the poker though...you are paying for the writing.
    Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vlaphor
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @ryanwho: You aren't really paying for the poker though...you are paying for the writing. "
    and the TF2 unlocks
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

Didn't buy... I see bigger things... but buggy. Never heard that.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I've played like upwards of seven hours and the only problem I have had is the music cut out once. 

Yeah I played like seven hours of poker, I want to get all the decks and shit. 

Is there something wrong with that?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By buft

i laughed at the title, havent had a chance to pop over there and check it out yet but im assuming this laptop probably couldnt play it anyway

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By benjaebe

Odd. Neither I nor any of my friends have had any problems at all, and I've probably played a decent 4 or 5 hours - my friends more than that. If  I was better at poker it probably wouldn't take me so long to get all the unlocks...

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By jasta

I havint had a problem with it at all.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ch3burashka

Well, this sucks. Hopefully this is just a "vocal minority" thing, but if it's truly this bad, I'll be extremely disappointed in Valve.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MikeFightNight

lol, sucks to be you and all those other people, I have had zero problems running it on my mac.  Best 5 bones I have spent on a game in a long time, well worth every penny.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Vlaphor said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @ryanwho: You aren't really paying for the poker though...you are paying for the writing. "
    and the TF2 unlocks "
    Which are actually useless. I hope people didn't pay the five bucks expecting to get an advantage in TF2.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

I haven't had any problems at all.
    mushyhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mushyhands

I also haven't had any major problems with downloading or playing it. I played 4 or 5 hours and only had a weird glitch once when i changed decks and tables mid tournament and for the next hand only got dealt one card...but all said that only happened once. Really liking this game.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By jonnyboy

Jesus how can you fuck up a poker game?

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By infininja

I'm playing at 800x600 because it runs terribly. Also, the game thinks an ace high beats a pair of 8s, but only when it's not in my favor, so thanks for that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Animasta
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " Well, this sucks. Hopefully this is just a "vocal minority" thing, but if it's truly this bad, I'll be extremely disappointed in Valve. "
    what's valve got to do with it?
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Rockdalf

I've put 5 hours in and only experienced a few minor glitches that mostly didn't affect gameplay.  The worst thing I've seen was one of my cards being invisible, but I bluffed a good hand by going all in and won anyway.  Honestly, I've gotten my monies out of it thus far.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#21  Edited By kalmis

Only problem I noticed was that it was bit laggy but thought it was because of my netbook. Well it probably is. I think its worth the £4 what I paid for it

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Been playing for 7 hours total, zero bugs. Also still finding new lines and conversations. I don't know, maybe I just got lucky.

Superdude201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Superdude201

Crashed on me once in 8 hours of gametime, which for me isn't too bad for me as most of the pc games i've bought recently have seemed to crash for me for some strange reason.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

I only had a problem with it at launch. Same problem I believe everyone had. The fix for it was within an hour or so of that (and actually I fixed it faster than that). Had to do with some DLL not being seen by the game for some reason. 

Anyway, other then that I have had no problems with the game. Well worth the 5$ admission just to hang around those characters and hear the crazy stuff they talk about. I still haven't heard it repeat all that much, so it's pretty amazing how much unique dialogue there is.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Games shipping with bugs seems to be a growing trend in the industry. I don't like it one bit. Maybe I'll write a blog about it; seems like there's a lot to talk about.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlaineBlaine
    @JJWeatherman said:

" Games shipping with bugs seems to be a growing trend in the industry. I don't like it one bit. Maybe I'll write a blog about it; seems like there's a lot to talk about. "

But what might be driving me most insane is there are bugs in the poker engine. Seriously, this is a fucking solved problem. We learned how to make poker software decades ago. 

I actually worked in social networking software for a few years and helped develop an online poker game. The routines are out there and publicly available. This is not 'we gotta write this shit ourselves' territory. Example... Tycho and I have the EXACT same hand. Notice we both beat Strongbad so, we should split the both pots between the two of us, with Strongbad getting nothing.

Wait... wut. 

The only thing I could think of is Tycho had K8 and I had K5 and it gave it to him for having a higher 'kicker'. Only, that's not how you play poker. Best five cards.  

If he has A9 and I have A2 and the cards are 

A, K, K, 7, 2.... I lose. 

I don't win because I have 3 pair. 

He has AAKK9 and I have AAKK7 

So yeah. This shit is infuriating. I'm REALLY enjoying the dialog between Strongbad, Max and The Heavy. But at this rate, they might as well have just made an animated cartoon.    
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai

If you didn't buy this game for the TF2 hat you bought it for the wrong reasons.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlaineBlaine

Giantbomb combined gamerscore is one of the noblest pursuits there is. 

And easy achievement points are why I bought it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
    @BlaineBlaine: There have been times when someone with a high card has beaten me when I had... well, not a high card. I had good hands. I don't know much about poker to understand how the chips are supposed to distributed. But I do know that any other non-high-card hand can beat a high card. That kind of weirdness is frustrating for anyone who wants to play a fair game of poker.

Sometimes when an AI opponent has a better hand, I hope that it will be scored improperly and declare me to have the winning hand. That's not how poker is supposed to be played!

And yet I can't stop, no matter how broken the game is sometimes. :(
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @nintendoeats said:

Everyone plays TellTale's games for the writing.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brunchies

I've played for about an hour and I haven't gotten a single bug yet. 

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By vager

It crashes right after the telltale games logo, so I haven't played it yet. Waiting for a patch. 

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BlaineBlaine
    @LordAndrew:  

Yeah. I'd believe it. The Telltale forums has a lot of talk about 'the hands are proper, it's just not clear to the players because of the announcer who won which pot'. But stuff like this keeps happening.  Here. One on one, hands are identical, the pot should be split. There's no side pot or anything. 

I win, achievement unlocked. 

I actually do know a good amount about poker and every so often there's some real what-the-fuck moments. It's just really depressing because, ultimately, the 'poker' part of this game as far as designing the rules is SO much easier than anything else.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By newhaap
    @BlaineBlaine:
    It looks like in the two cases you gave as examples, the winner was the one with the higher suit? 
    First example, Tycho won because he had King of Clubs and you had King of Diamonds 
    Second example, you won because you had Ace of Spades and Max had Ace of Diamonds
    sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sergeantz

Had no real problems so far. Worst thing was that it counted my straight flush as just a flush and boned me out of an achievement.  AI acts a little odd at times, too.
    BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlaineBlaine
    @newhaap said:
    " @BlaineBlaine: It looks like in the two cases you gave as examples, the winner was the one with the higher suit? First example, Tycho won because he had King of Clubs and you had King of Diamonds Second example, you won because you had Ace of Spades and Max had Ace of Diamonds "
    Suits have no value in poker.
    Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rothbart

Hmm, the only thing that happened to me was that once during a final showdown I changed the table, and when I got back out of the menu Max was suddenly on my left instead of in front of me. Other than that, game works like a charm. :) Using a Mac, by the way.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By aurahack
    @Infininja said:
    " I'm playing at 800x600 because it runs terribly. Also, the game thinks an ace high beats a pair of 8s, but only when it's not in my favor, so thanks for that. "
    The Ace High thing didn't happen to me but yeah, it also runs fucking poorly on mine. I don't really understand how I can run L4D2 at near-max settings and need to drop Poker Night on the lowest resolution with super-low graphic settings. :/
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGremp

I haven't noticed any problems.  I have all settings maxed with a smooth framerate, and it hasn't crashed once.

RobbyGreene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RobbyGreene

I've really enjoyed this game a lot and the only problem I've had is the Heavy telling me about 12 time in a row about how he is a PHD, but other than that it's been running smoothly.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#41  Edited By sammo21
    @BlaineBlaine: I have played around...6+ hours while in 2 separate flights and experienced no bugs except one time I beat MAX and he never left the table but the game obviously knew he was supposed so it kept going.  then I have played maybe 2-3 hours on my PC and experienced no issues.  
    rem25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rem25
    @BlaineBlaine said:
    " @newhaap said:
    " @BlaineBlaine: It looks like in the two cases you gave as examples, the winner was the one with the higher suit? First example, Tycho won because he had King of Clubs and you had King of Diamonds Second example, you won because you had Ace of Spades and Max had Ace of Diamonds "
    Suits have no value in poker. "
    Except when a royal flush beats a normal flush... 

More to your original point, I've had a lot of issues with the game, not so much with the poker rules but with framerate and mouse issues.  I've got an AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.8GHz, 6 GB RAM, 512 MB Radeon HD4200 and the game lags real bad.  I've turned the effects off, graphics down to 3 (default was 4), turned off shadows and lowered the resolution but it still lags.  It is very frustrating.  My friend has a better computer than I do but has no issues.  I've tried various things like forcing AA, verifying integrity of the game, rebooting, updating graphics card drivers, etc. but nothing seems to work.  It's barely playable which is upsetting because the dialog is great.
    BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BlaineBlaine
    @rem25 said:
    " @BlaineBlaine said:
    " @newhaap said:
    Suits have no value in poker. "
    Except when a royal flush beats a normal flush...   

A straight flush beats a regular flush, doesn't matter if there are face cards in it or not.  2, 3,4,5,6 suited beats an ace high flush same way three two's beats a pair of aces. It's just a better hand.

Newhaap was suggesting an Ace of Spades is somehow better than an Ace of Diamonds. They're worth the same. Suits don't figure into it.  An ace is an ace is an ace.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.