Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey 2

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Prey 2 was the follow-up to Human Head's first-person shooter Prey. Bethesda confirmed the game's cancelation on October 30, 2014.

Prey 2 Cancelled - Inside Source

• 175 results
    BigBossWagner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By BigBossWagner

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: that game looked cool. i hope things work out.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By MikkaQ

I feel like the hype for this game's a little inflated. We've seen so little of this game in so long, where is it all coming from?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By Cirdain

@TheHT said:

well that's dumb.

Agreed

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By vitor

no no no no no no NO.

This game was looking amazing. Fuck.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#105  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

NOOOOOOOO!

That game looked really cool!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By NegativeCero

I was looking forward to it. I guess it was too good to be true.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By laserbolts

So has this been confirmed yet? If so then I will be pretty bummed out. Prey 2 looked like it would turn out pretty good and I was looking forward to it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By jakob187

@MikkaQ said:

I feel like the hype for this game's a little inflated. We've seen so little of this game in so long, where is it all coming from?

There was a dev walkthrough shown at PAX 2011. GDC was supposed to be an opportunity for them to show the tech they've been making for the game as well as a new gameplay demo.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By MikkaQ

@jakob187 said:

@MikkaQ said:

There was a dev walkthrough shown at PAX 2011. GDC was supposed to be an opportunity for them to show the tech they've been making for the game as well as a new gameplay demo.

Yeah but it never really had any penetration into the general mind-share you know? It just kinda seemed like it was going to one of those games that's pretty media dark until very close to release, which can either lead to a nice sleeper hit, or it could indicate that development wasn't exactly going peachy.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jakob187

@MikkaQ said:

@jakob187 said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah but it never really had any penetration into the general mind-share you know? It just kinda seemed like it was going to one of those games that's pretty media dark until very close to release, which can either lead to a nice sleeper hit, or it could indicate that development wasn't exactly going peachy.

If I was a company that was trying to figure out how to fix the issues that the id Tech engine showed in Rage and Brink (texturing, pop-in, frame rate lag, input lag, etc), I wouldn't be showing off much of the game either. Nonetheless, Brian Karis was constantly updating his Twitter with information not only on the game itself, but the issues that they had with the engine and the ways they were working around it.

I don't know. I've been following the project pretty closely since it was announced, and it seemed like everything was on the right track. I was super stoked to hear their GDC talks, but then they got cancelled and Brian seemed super bummed about it. However, it never seemed like anything as drastic as "the game is getting cancelled". Hell, he's still talking about coding stuff on his Twitter.

Personally, I would expect that there's going to be some layoffs and/or studio closure with the project moving somewhere else, but cancellation of the game could very well be possible also. Prey 2 is still showing on Bethesda's website, though...so who knows?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By AssInAss

Not surprising, no one ever got hands-on with the game so the E3 demo was most likely a vertical slice i.e. not the whole game was built at that point.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By grilledcheez

TO KICKSTARTER

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By welshguy

If it does get cancelled, its goes on the every increasing list of games I loved the look of only to get kicked in the balls. Fangus Klot. Pirates of the Caribbean Armada of the Damned... What little gameplay footage I've seen about Prey 2 looks fantastic. Though thinking about it, I've heard bugger all about Prey 2 ever since they showed that gameplay footage

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jakob187

@AssInAss said:

Not surprising, no one ever got hands-on with the game so the E3 demo was most likely a vertical slice i.e. not the whole game was built at that point.

There was a dev walkthrough at PAX 2011...where someone had a controller in their hand...in front of people...and played the game...and people were like "OMG YES PLEASE".

However, I think a lot of people walked away from it thinking seeing a few similarities to another game that failed for Bethesda. If you watch some of this demo, you can see why in the movement of the character and the way the parkour handles. Looks a lot like the SMART movement system (which I personally loved).

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Brunchies

I didn't know anything about this game before this thread then I started watching the E3 video walkthrough. I'm really disappointed if this is true, this game actually looked really awesome. Maybe it will turn into a development debacle that the first prey was, when was the game supposed to be released anyway?

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I'm not surprised.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Quarters

Weird. I was never interested in the game, but people seemed pretty hyped about it. Seems strange that it would just get dropped like that when crap like Brink makes it(which had some good ideas, but a BAD execution).

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@MikkaQ said:

@jakob187 said:

@MikkaQ said:

^This, I had no idea there was any hype for Prey 2 at all. >_>

The fact that Bethesda is simply saying 'no comment' rather than just shooting the rumor down like they did with the Doom 4 rumor is a definite red flag though. It shows that they probably have little to no confidence in the title, and as such all but confirm that Prey 2 has probably been cancelled outright. :|

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By MikkaQ

@jakob187 said:

@MikkaQ said:

@jakob187 said:

@MikkaQ said:

If I was a company that was trying to figure out how to fix the issues that the id Tech engine showed in Rage and Brink (texturing, pop-in, frame rate lag, input lag, etc), I wouldn't be showing off much of the game either. Nonetheless, Brian Karis was constantly updating his Twitter with information not only on the game itself, but the issues that they had with the engine and the ways they were working around it.

I don't know. I've been following the project pretty closely since it was announced, and it seemed like everything was on the right track. I was super stoked to hear their GDC talks, but then they got cancelled and Brian seemed super bummed about it. However, it never seemed like anything as drastic as "the game is getting cancelled". Hell, he's still talking about coding stuff on his Twitter.

Personally, I would expect that there's going to be some layoffs and/or studio closure with the project moving somewhere else, but cancellation of the game could very well be possible also. Prey 2 is still showing on Bethesda's website, though...so who knows?

Perhaps it is all a false alarm. I hope so, layoffs suck, and the premise for this game seemed pretty cool.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By cutyoface

Damn I was really looking forward to Prey 2.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By AssInAss

@jakob187 said:

@AssInAss said:

There was a dev walkthrough at PAX 2011...where someone had a controller in their hand...in front of people...and played the game...and people were like "OMG YES PLEASE".

However, I think a lot of people walked away from it thinking seeing a few similarities to another game that failed for Bethesda. If you watch some of this demo, you can see why in the movement of the character and the way the parkour handles. Looks a lot like the SMART movement system (which I personally loved).

Dev walkthrough i.e. no one in the public or game press got to get their hands on it. And they were showing the same demo.

"While Prey 2 was unfortunately not playable at PAX Prime 2011, Bethesda was running a live demo every hour during the event..."

I don't think it's just the parkour relation to Brink, here are the previous ZeniMax bombs:

Wet

Rogue Warrior

Hunted: The Demon's Forge

Brink

Rage.

After all these bombs, ZeniMax probably didn't want to publish any more possible failures. Prey doesn't have a lot of cache as a fanbase.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By superfriend

@AssInAss said:

I don't think it's just the parkour relation to Brink, here are the previous ZeniMax bombs:

Wet

Rogue Warrior

Brink

Rage.

After all these bombs, ZeniMax probably didn't want to publish any more possible failures. Prey doesn't have a lot of cache as a fanbase.

Well, then they should probably not be a publisher anymore (except for their own stuff).. If every single fucking game has to sell a couple of millions now, shit is fucked up.

Seriously, do they expect this Dishonored game to do better? Here´s a little hint: ARKANE is developing this thing, so it will probably be extremely mediocre.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AssInAss

@Superfriend said:

@AssInAss said:

Wet

Rogue Warrior

Brink

Rage.

Well, then they should probably not be a publisher anymore (except for their own stuff).. If every single fucking game has to sell a couple of millions now, shit is fucked up.

Seriously, do they expect this Dishonored game to do better? Here´s a little hint: ARKANE is developing this thing, so it will probably be extremely mediocre.

They aren't a good publisher for sure. Arkane had some great ideas behind Dark Messiah for the first person melee, now that they have Harvey Smith on the design. So maybe better management and designers will make for a better overall game.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By RuthLoose

My one question: where is all that Skyrim money going?

I understand that Bethesda is probably trying to recoup the losses from the other games they published last year, but damn, get out in front and market something that people seem to be getting legitimately excited about.

That said, I bet this project has been going totally sideways for a while and we are just now seeing its ugly head rearing forward. Hopefully, Human Head isn't forced to have massive layoffs here shortly. I wish everyone involved the best.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By jakob187

@AssInAss said:

@jakob187 said:

@AssInAss said:

Dev walkthrough i.e. no one in the public or game press got to get their hands on it. And they were showing the same demo.

"While Prey 2 was unfortunately not playable at PAX Prime 2011, Bethesda was running a live demo every hour during the event..."

Wet

Rogue Warrior

Brink

Rage.

Don't forget Damnation. Goddamn, that game was terrible.

As for the others, yeah...Bethesda just isn't a good publisher. They have some pretty good ideas with great studios backing them (Splash Damage, inXile, id Software) and some mediocre-to-not-so-great studios (A2M, Rebellion) backing some mediocre ideas.

Honestly, it was a bad move for them to get into publishing anyways. Hopefully, the news will end up being something a bit more positive, like "hey, Prey 2 is no longer being published by Bethesda, but we're going to be selling the property and the studio off to (insert someone here) so they can make the game after all".

Yeah, that's a little too much to wish for, maybe.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#127  Edited By bakumatsu

Ah fuck. What a bummer.. Really looking up for this :(

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@RuthLoose said:

I understand that Bethesda is probably trying to recoup the losses from the other games they published last year, but damn, get out in front and market something that people seem to be getting legitimately excited about.

That's the thing- is there really that much excitement for Prey 2? Cause other than this thread- I've seen barely any excitement for it, let alone anyone talking about it. :\

And unfortunately/unsurprisingly, Bethesda isn't going out of its way to make any excitement for it.

While on the other hand...

@Superfriend said:

Seriously, do they expect this Dishonored game to do better?

They probably do- because Dishonored's been getting a LOT more attention than Prey 2 ever has.

Especially from the various gaming sites- they've sounded a lot more positive regarding Dishonored than they ever did with Prey 2. (Again- from what I've seen.)

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By RuthLoose

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: I remember the Giant Bomb E3 podcast and the 1Up.com podcast from that time period having a couple of previews people going on-and-on about how good the game was from that video demo. Heck, even Brad was pretty genuinely stoked about the game from this interview from E3 with Human Head's Chris Rhinehart.

Chris Rhinehart seemed pretty excited in a non-PR-manner here. Admittedly, this game seems super ambitious, and I can totally see where Bethesda pulled back on funding after this thing snowballed into a much bigger project than it was initially pitched (an open world FPS).

juxtapose519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By juxtapose519

This is execrable news. RIP Prey 2.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jillsandwich

I really hope it ain't true. Game looked badass, and I loved the first Prey, even though that doesn't have much to do with the sequel.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#132  Edited By Yummylee

Well gosh.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#133  Edited By Bigheart711

This happens just when my week was already horrible. :(

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#134  Edited By xpgamer7

I'm really really cynical it's just straight up cancelled. Seeing it at PAX it looked great, and no reason why after all the money put into it that it'd be let down now. Other than legal problems, tech, stupid people messing up development. Anyway, I'll wait for the full story.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#135  Edited By ADAMWD

Looking at this thread, and other reports of this rumour, there are a TON of people excited/looking forward to this game, myself included. Surely ZeniMax/Bethesda would know the interest level in the game was pretty good, and that with a good showing at GDC and E3, they could have turned the game into a big release. Can't see the logic behind cancelling this right now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#136  Edited By Hailinel

I think that the fact that this supposed cancellation news has generated more discussion on Prey 2 than anything since its initial announcement is telling, in its own way.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By 71Ranchero

The original was pretty fun, bummer about the sequel. Looked kinda neat.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#138  Edited By korolev

I hope they don't cancel it - and it might not be cancelled. It might be delayed, it might have been farmed off to another developer, it might have received cuts.

Did anyone actually see the game in action? I remember seeing a cool CGI trailer for it, but I don't remember actually seeing any actual gameplay footage. It's possible that the development was far more troubled than the trailers would suggest.

But I would be surprised if they did cancel it. Bethesda have released far less interesting titles in the past (like Brink). Maybe they're running out of money, or they are allocating a lot of capital towards a new Fallout game and they want to trim what they perceive to be "fat".

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By artelinarose

Man, I really hope this thing isn't canceled. I saw it live at PAX last August and it looked fucking INCREDIBLE.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#140  Edited By iWonder
    No Caption Provided
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By kishinfoulux

This gets cancelled yet trash like Homefront 2 is being made. There is no justice in this world.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By zaccheus

Fuck me, Bethesda puts out Rogue Warrior, but this gets cancelled? How bad could it be?

@kishinfoulux said:

This gets cancelled yet trash like Homefront 2 is being made. There is no justice in this world.

Well that's a bit of a stupid statement, isn't it? How do you know that Homefront 2 is bad when no one has seen it and it's even being made by a different studio? That studio is also Crytek and they have made at least decent games in the past.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Zaccheus said:

Fuck me, Bethesda puts out Rogue Warrior, but this gets cancelled? How bad could it be?

@kishinfoulux said:

Well that's a bit of a stupid statement, isn't it? How do you know that Homefront 2 is bad when no one has seen it and it's even being made by a different studio? That studio is also Crytek and they have made at least decent games in the past.

Because the first one was garbage? I don't care who's making it. At least Prey was an interesting looking FPS. Homefront is just another military shooter.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Vodun

@kishinfoulux said:

@Zaccheus said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Because the first one was garbage? I don't care who's making it. At least Prey was an interesting looking FPS. Homefront is just another military shooter.

If you judge a game by its predecessor alone then Prey 2 should get burned and buried at a crossroads.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By zaccheus

@Vodun said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Zaccheus said:

@kishinfoulux said:

If you judge a game by its predecessor alone then Prey 2 should get burned and buried at a crossroads.

My point exactly.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Vodun said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Zaccheus said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Wait are you saying Prey 1 was garbage?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Vodun

@SomeDeliCook said:

No, it was a boil on the ass of gaming history.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By MoseSSesoM

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Vodun said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Zaccheus said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Pretty much.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AngeTheDude

Very disappointing. I was looking forward to this game.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By williamhenry

If this wasn't true, don't you think they would have said as much by now? Surely the higher ups have to know this rumor is out there by now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.