Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Please boycott this game

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By r0k1ll

I do care about human rights and all that crap, but when it comes down to it, if the game is good, me = happy

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By bhhawks78

No, people don't even boycott work done by slave laborers in third world countries, why would they for this? LOL

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Shadow

Pay cuts?  In this day and age?  Something must be done!  I will not be buying the game because of this outrage!  And it totally isn't because of my  complete lack of interest in old west-themed stuff!

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By willylo

Yeah, I can't boycott this game sorry :(. Sucks to these people for working long hours to complete a project but I see it was paying into their hard effort! That and this game is gonna freakin rock, Red Dead Revolver was awesome.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TheFreeMan

I think that boycotting this game would sort of be a disservice to the fine people who worked on it, as if it didn't get enough sales there could be some financial repercussions. And an unfair job is better than no job at all.......so yeah.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By AndrewB

These people's jobs rely on you buying the game, if you're interested in it. Fewer sales will only mean they get shitcanned immediately. Organizing a walkout is incredibly hard to accomplish, as well, especially when you take into consideration that the industry has already suffered millions of lob losses with not enough positions for everyone who has been laid off to refill. When you've got a family to feed, as many game developers do, you don't really have the option. You *need* a paycheck coming from somewhere, even if it's a blood-sweat-and-tears earned paycheck. It's terrible, but I'd rather see a big ole' lawsuit slapped on them by the collective workforce.

Where I used to work (not talking about a game-related place), they'd refuse to allow you to work beyond 40 hours a week so they wouldn't have to pay you overtime, and would get pissed off at you and cut back your hours if you did. There was also an almost 2 year long pay freeze (no raises for two whole years and I hear it's still ongoing). People put up with it either because they don't know any better or because they really don't have a choice. It's a tough job market out there. Although I did end up doing my own personal walkout...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By veektarius

A lot of you people are real ethical geniuses.  Oh, they don't pay their workers enough.  I'll keep buying their product.  Hell, I'll buy *more* of their product in order to make sure the poor guys can keep their jobs.  So yeah, maybe you're right that that works, but if mistreating employees becomes an effective business model, it's one that will spread to other companies, ultimately becoming a problem for a lot more people than the ones you were trying to help out in the first place.  The one thing I'll grant you is that boycotting on its own isn't likely to cause any changes unless it's accompanied by lobbying for changes to labor laws.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By calidan777
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "
    lol, when I was younger I worked for Coca-Cola in the warehouse loading trucks at night and 16 hour days were normal, hell, one guy I knew even worked 25 hours straight once, lol, if they don't like "working" alot of hours then they should find another job.

And no, I won't be boycotting this game, sorry.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Venatio

How bout no? The game seems interesting and I want it, if reviews come out and it is terrible then I wont buy it, but if it is awesome then I'm buying it ASAP 

That is all

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By grilledcheez

So you're going to reward their hard work with a boycott?  I think just the opposite would be in order to secure them more funding and employees for the next game.  

Enokei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Enokei

nope  

Sathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Sathan
    @Toxic:  I agree completely, lets kill the sales of this game so we can help add to their problems by getting them laid off as well.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By raviolisumo

I don't see what boycotting would do.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By EpicSteve

I would want it to sell better to make these people feel better about all the time they've spent. How bad would you feel if you had to miss out on all sorts of social experiences, birthdays, R&R, and so on, only to have the game you spilled blood and tears over fail commercially?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Sathan:
    I e-mailed a Rockstar Toronto employee, and he said that we should expect layoffs at San Diego regardless of the game's performance. And may I remind you that the game is  "an organic disaster of the most epic proportions ", that probably means the employees aren't statisfied with the game.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By Marz

so you boycott the game so the guys who been working on this game will have a bad resume because the game wasn't a success?

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "
    If it gets 5 stars...yes. 

I know, I'm a terrible person.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ineedaname
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @Sathan: I e-mailed a Rockstar Toronto employee, and he said that we should expect layoffs at San Diego regardless of the game's performance. And may I remind you that the game is  "an organic disaster of the most epic proportions ", that probably means the employees aren't statisfied with the game. "
    But would the amount of lay-offs be worse if the game were to flop and not make any kind of profit, it's probably safe to say yes if they're already laying people off.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By buzz_killington

Ok let me clarify: If anyone else has an option that they think will help stop such enethical practices please do share. Stop with the bullshit "But if you boycott it that means the developers wasted their time" messages. You can't just pretend shit like this didn't happen. Something needs to be done...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By oldschool

I wasn't buying the game anyway and I hope it is a an Epic Fail so they don't profit from their behaviour.  A world of full employment would be so good, then greedy arseholes wouldn't take advantage of desperate people.  Just because some countries have long hours is never an excuse for change to their way.  We should lead by example and a fair days pay for a fair days wage should be the norm, so people can have time for important stuff like friends and family.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ScreamingFist

Uh, no.  I routinely work 12-14 hour days in a physically demanding job for jack shats worth of pay.  Today I worked 13 and am only getting paid for 8!  Some days I work 12 and get paid for 18.  If you can't hack it, then you can leave and find another job.  If you aren't man enough to put your foot down and do what needs to be done that is your own fault, not mine.  I enjoyed Red Dead Revolver and am hoping that Redemption will be halfway decent.  That being said, I will be picking the game up at some point, boycott or not.  The worst thing you could do would be to boycott, why make their "struggle" be in vein if you see it that way.  While it may be unfair and unethical and it may suck, guess what?  THAT'S LIFE!  Wake up and realize that you aren't special, I'm not special and they aren't special either.  So to Rockstar SanDiego employees I say "Waaa!  Waaaaaaa!" and STFU.
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By crusnchill
    @buzz_killington: You don't seem to get that boycotting will actually hurt these said employee's in the long run. I mean, where do they get their pay from further down the line if you want people to boycott this? 

Boycott's cause Rockstars stock's to go down. So in other words, if you get a big enough following to boycott Read dead redemption, you'll be causing them yet more problems in the long run. Some employees might even have to be let go because Rockstar wouldn't have enough money with which to pay them with. 

If you want to make a difference, try and contact gamers around the san diego area, in as many ways as you can think of, and ask them to picket in front of the san diego offices. Ask the local news reporters to show up and make a massive hubbub. That'll rock the shackles they have around their employee's necks and yes it will still lower Rockstars' stocks but in the long run it can only be a good thing for everyone concerned.
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By buzz_killington

I'm going to quote a commentor from Gamasutra:

" There seems to be an ethical need to do something or history will keep repeating. "  

Boycott or not, let's do something.

And I recommend this link for some industry-insider insight on the quality of life for game developers.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jiggah
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @Sathan: I e-mailed a Rockstar Toronto employee, and he said that we should expect layoffs at San Diego regardless of the game's performance. And may I remind you that the game is  "an organic disaster of the most epic proportions ", that probably means the employees aren't statisfied with the game. "
    You know I was totally pumped for this game.  This is a total downer.
    CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CounterShock

No

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crusnchill
    @FluxWaveZ said:

"How about you boycott all the other products you probably buy that have an extremely shady backstory to them?  I assure you, there are tons.  And this is not unheard of, especially in the video game industry and especially during Crunch Time. "

I'm reminded of Chair studios and their game; 'Shadow Complex'. Didn't That ass hole Orson scott write most of the story for that game? 

If I remember right, he got about 1-2 dollars off every sale of Shadow Complex. And people boycotted this as well, because they (I do too, but I didn't boycott it.) disagreed with his views that homosexual marriege should be banned. And that homosexuals are the product of evil. 

I mean, if we think about it, within an office of about 300 people, it's garaunteed that 10% if not more are rascist, anti-sematic or homophobes etc... 

Why wouldn't this be true of an office full of games designers? 

Sooner or later we all put money towards something that has a partly/generally shady background. 
    I say, if you're conciously bothered by it, then do something about it. Either do something like some tree cutting organisation which is something like; for each fully grown tree they cut down, they sprinkle and take care of 40 packs worth of tree seeds. 

You know, like a counterweight of evil. ie: Good intent. :-) 
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By nukesniper

Regardless of the game, I don't think boycotting it would do any good. If they did not like their work situation they have to do something about it. Hell, if this game never sells they won't be able to go anywhere else with their video game programming career. I say that we just let this play out however it happens to play out. If those guys don't like working like that, then they can quit and try to go somewhere else. Heck, it is a hard industry to move around in, but I would say it is up to the employees to get free of their situation. If enough of them do, change would have to happen in that company anyways.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SammydesinasNL

So you want to boycott people because they worked too much? Are you retarded? You'd help them by buying the game and help them keep some sort of job.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By CharleyTony

I know some people who work in the biz. Yes some of them get unfair treatment, mostly during crunch time. 

But I still dont think boycotts work.  

I would rather not buy games that are maybe in really poor countries where some studios have teams there only because the labour is so cheap. 
     I'm in Canada and I know for a fact that Canadian studios cost less to operate than a studio in California.  

When you see studios set up in Eastern Europe, that make me worry about crazy work conditions...
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By hatking

Yup the best way to solve this problem is to make sure that those people who worked their asses off don't get any royalty checks.  How about one of them contacts a lawyer?  That is if it is a real problem.  It isn't my fucking job to fix this and I shouldn't suffer because the suits there are idiots. 
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By nethanel

If you have not been forced into conscription you should have no complaints

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

How?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah dude.  I don't know what happened but it's not my job as a consumer.  If it's a good game, as it seems to be, I will reward it with my hard earned money.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @ScreamingFist said:
    "
     Uh, no.  I routinely work 12-14 hour days in a physically demanding job for jack shats worth of pay.  Today I worked 13 and am only getting paid for 8!  Some days I work 12 and get paid for 18. " 

isnt that your fault for choosing a shitty job and not getting educated
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By iamjohn
    @Sathan said:
    " @Toxic:  I agree completely, lets kill the sales of this game so we can help add to their problems by getting them laid off as well. "
    To be honest, this is what I was thinking. 

@buzz_killington said:
    Oh wow. 

Not trying to call you a liar or something, but could you elaborate?
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I personally don't believe that they would get away with these practices for four years. A disgruntled ex-employee would have ratted them out or someone responsible for monitoring the companies' labor regulations would have picked up on this.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By FunExplosions

" In January of 2010, a blog post published on Gamasutra written by the "Rockstar Spouse" pointed out the unethical practices used at Rockstar San Diego during this game's development, including 12 hour days and 6 day weeks, with and lower than the inflation rate salary increase.

That sentence took me awhile to comprehend. Overall, though, that seems very iffy. I doubt all of the people hated the hours. A few of the people probably said some things and they were taken completely out of context. Don't really think that people would let a big-name company push them into slave labor. Besides all that, it is just plain dumb to willingly deny yourself the possible enjoyment of a video game. Hell no I won't boycott this game. Also, I hope all of the kids who wanted to boycott MW2 get 60 bucks stolen from them.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No sir, I will not.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By buzz_killington
    @iAmJohn:
    I'm not going to say his name, but he is my cousin. I asked him if he knows anything about what's going on in San Diego and he said "that studio is on the waiting list for some restructuring." Take it with a grain of salt though, since he works at Toronto and not at San Diego, and he is talking only from what he's heard around the company.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#90  Edited By jakob187

Such is the way of the video game industry.  You put in long hours to get a game out there.  Whether it's ethical or not doesn't matter.  If they really had an issue with it, then they would've had a mass walkout.  They would've quit.  They would've done something about it.  Instead, they let it happen, so in turn, who is the real bad guy?  Rockstar for wanting to get this game made under whatever means necessary...or the employees, who continued to allow such practices and succumb to this? 

Moreover, you want us to boycott the game so that the people who put in those hours aren't getting the royalties they deserve for it?  That's an ass-backwards idea!!! 

AND...at least they are working!  Shit, there are people that would LOVE to have a job right now, so the fact that they even HAVE a job should be something they are thankful for.  By all means, if they felt they were being treated unfairly, they had every right to report it as abuse.  They had plenty of options, but instead, they decided to stay.  How many people are coming out and talking this kind of shit about it all?  Is it everyone, or just a couple of people?  I can almost guarantee that there are plenty of those people that are going to say "man, I really wanted to make this game". 

So shove your boycott ideas and wait until there is an honest-to-goodness confirmation of anything severe...rather than relying on a gaming blog with some comments.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By EVO

Boycotts are so 2009.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#92  Edited By breadfan

Fuck that.  This is my most anticipated game of 2010.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#93  Edited By Symphony

Can we boycott bad threads instead?

As many have already stated, and the original poster has conveniently ignored -- there are plenty of things they can do if they feel they are being wrongly treated, unlike in other countries such as Mexico or China. If they feel like the sword of Damocles is hanging over their head while they work, chances are good they would have been sending out their resumes already and looking into new employment at the first opportunity. Crunch time for most big games requires long hours of the developers, this is nothing new, so I have to wonder like many others, if this merely the case? I'm not familiar with the intricacies of United States Labor laws, but I'm sure you guys have an agency that investigates companies that partake in questionable practices, like we do up here in the great white north.

Honestly, your post comes off as Fox News-esque propaganda. "Organic disaster of the most epic proportions"? Come now. That term would make more sense if used when a massive earthquake strikes and decimates cities.

Here's a thought -- seeing as you have family that works at one of Rockstar's studios, why don't you suggest they and their coworkers walk out on Rockstar to send them a message that they don't approve of how things are going in the San Diego studio? Not that they would, but that would send a bigger message than a handful of consumers not buying the games based on some hearsay on forums.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By guiseppe
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @baconbits33: But we're talking about valuable and educated artists and engineers who could be working 8 hour days and make as  much money in other computer development businesses or graphic design businesses. "
    So... The value of human life and it's rights is based on what they do for a living? I may have just misunderstood that, but to me, that's what it looked like.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ninjakiller

After reading this I'll but 2 copies out of spite.  If your job is that bad THEN QUIT. 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ninjakiller
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @baconbits33: But we're talking about valuable and educated artists and engineers who could be working 8 hour days and make as  much money in other computer development businesses or graphic design businesses. "
    SO WHY DON'T THEY?  Fuck them if they're too stupid to quit a shitty job with such horrible working conditions 
    ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ScreamingFist
    @pwnasaurus said:
    "@ScreamingFist said:
    "
     Uh, no.  I routinely work 12-14 hour days in a physically demanding job for jack shats worth of pay.  Today I worked 13 and am only getting paid for 8!  Some days I work 12 and get paid for 18. " 

isnt that your fault for choosing a shitty job and not getting educated
    "

Lawl    =D
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Symphony:
    The "organic disaster" quote is straight from a developer's mouth who commented on the original Gamasutra blog post. I don't want to come off as anything that can be compared to Fox News, but 16-hour crunch mode does not sound ethical to me, and can be avoided with good management of resources and hiring the right number of people at the right time. I don't want people's health and quality of life to be damaged for making a fucking video game, that's why I'm taking a stand against those who advocate it. I can't think of another way to send a message to Rockstar's upper management as a consumer.  
    And I'm not going to ask people from Toronto to walk out because of shit that went down in San Diego. And in this economic times, with all these companies shutting down and downsizing, it is not really wise to walk out on a job; but that does not grant a permit to abuse the employees.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ninjakiller
    @buzz_killington said:

" @Symphony:
    The "organic disaster" quote is straight from a developer's mouth who commented on the original Gamasutra blog post. I don't want to come off as anything that can be compared to Fox News, but 16-hour crunch mode does not sound ethical to me, and can be avoided with good management of resources and hiring the right number of people at the right time. I don't want people's health and quality of life to be damaged for making a fucking video game, that's why I'm taking a stand against those who advocate it. I can't think of another way to send a message to Rockstar's upper management as a consumer.  And I'm not going to ask people from Toronto to walk out because of shit that went down in San Diego. And in this economic times, with all these companies shutting down and downsizing, it is not really wise to walk out on a job; but that does not grant a permit to abuse the employees. "

Do you know anything at all about software development?  When you're in the home stretch bugs pop up things and that you thought you could fix just can't be so you scramble and at times have to rework large amounts of code. Or things will be going swimmingly and one little bug that you thought was innocuous turns out to be the thread on the sweater that you shouldn't have pulled.   Sixteen hour days in crunch time isn't that fault of management or project managers, it's the nature of the beast.  If they didn't have those hours then NOTHING would ever ship on time because if you stick with 8 hours the product will ship incomplete, or it will have to pushed back and back and back.
    Avatar image for deactivated-640dff1e66348
    deactivated-640dff1e66348

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_killington said:
    " @Symphony:
    The "organic disaster" quote is straight from a developer's mouth who commented on the original Gamasutra blog post. I don't want to come off as anything that can be compared to Fox News, but 16-hour crunch mode does not sound ethical to me, and can be avoided with good management of resources and hiring the right number of people at the right time. I don't want people's health and quality of life to be damaged for making a fucking video game, that's why I'm taking a stand against those who advocate it. I can't think of another way to send a message to Rockstar's upper management as a consumer.  And I'm not going to ask people from Toronto to walk out because of shit that went down in San Diego. And in this economic times, with all these companies shutting down and downsizing, it is not really wise to walk out on a job; but that does not grant a permit to abuse the employees. "
    Well...the employer's job is to get the best game possible shipped on time. If that means working their employees like dogs, that's what needs to happen. Don't get me wrong, it's a coldhearted thing to do, but the higher ups are just doing what they can to ensure that they still have a job. The employees have the ability to leave, and since they haven't, they have clearly weighed their options and thought it was better to stay at Rockstar. It was the employees decision to stay. They don't have to put up with that shit if they don't want to, but they decided to. From a business standpoint, that was a crafty move by Rockstar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.