Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Please boycott this game

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

This thread is....I just....

No.

rathantoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#302  Edited By rathantoras

@buzz_killington: The name buzz killington suits you

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#303  Edited By Rebirth1337

If I had a nickle for every internet boycott that worked I would be so rich... Oh wait no I wouldn't.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#304  Edited By 234r2we232

T'is just GTA on horses. Wasn't going to buy anyways :/.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#305  Edited By weegieanawrench

It's too bad that shit like that is going on, but I'm going to say no. This game looks all sorts of fantastic.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#306  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Well, feel bad for them but still getting the game. Seemed like they made a pretty damn good one too.
    mdslac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By mdslac

Boycotting the product with no real evidence. . .  buzz_killington, if you're interested in boycotting an American product for slave labor why not focus on agriculture? Child labor laws and wage laws only address industry so American farming corporations can (and do) legally higher children for pennies on the dollar.

crona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By crona

Boycotting won't work. Plain and simple; you're wasting your time. Assuming it does work, and you do screw over this developer, and they go under, all these people don't  have a job. Let's ignore all this and assume that the boycott DOES work, and no one loses their job. Do you know for a fact that these workers are unhappy? Maybe they're in a rush to finish their game so they're showing up of their own free will to put in extra time. Maybe these extra hours aren't accounted for in the budget, and therefore, the pay is lowered to compensate for these extra hours. All in all, I seriously doubt that these people are being FORCED to show up for 15-16 hour days. In all likelihood, this was their own decision because they want to make the best game they can make. The better the game is, the better their portfolio is. The better their portfolio is, the better the chances are of them getting other jobs that they'd really like. 

Find me someone who's still working there who's complaining about these things. Give us a link. Then, I'll reconsider my thoughts, but right now, it seems obvious that nothing big is going on, and in fact these scenario's happen often from what I've heard.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By Hunkulese

I'm not sure why you don't think these work conditions are fairly common but most people just accept it. Someone just got angry about it in this case and talked to the right people to get the story out. It's like last year when that dude from Michigan football got mad at the coach and told the media how the coach was running illegal extra practices and breaking all kinds of rules but if you talk to anyone that knows college football you understand every single school (well at least the major football programs) run "optional" practices that aren't optional and would be considered illegal under NCAA rules.

Point is any company that is facing deadlines and/or setbacks are going to be asking for more from their employees and I'm not saying I don't have any problems with it but I understand it's reality and if you want to jump up on your high horse and not buy any games where the developers didn't create unideal working conditions you're going to stuck buying games that have been made by three people. You must be high if you think EA/Activision/Blizzard/Valve ect don't occasionally require 12+ hour days when deadlines need to be met.

serapheim_0023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By serapheim_0023

Buzz Kilington is a bigger buzz kill then...Buzz Kilington. 
    Family Guy aside I dont believe boycotting a game is the answer.  Whats done is done those people aren't going to get those hours of their lives back and as terrible as it is not buying the game wont change that...Also on a more substantial note...This game looks awesome and is next on my purchase list.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#311  Edited By AlwaysAngry

No.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By DystopiaX
    @serapheim_0023 said:
    " Buzz Kilington is a bigger buzz kill then...Buzz Kilington. Family Guy aside I dont believe boycotting a game is the answer.  Whats done is done those people aren't going to get those hours of their lives back and as terrible as it is not buying the game wont change that...Also on a more substantial note...This game looks awesome and is next on my purchase list. "
    actually, they'll also lose their jobs, making the whole situation worse.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By ArchScabby
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @serapheim_0023 said:
    " Buzz Kilington is a bigger buzz kill then...Buzz Kilington. Family Guy aside I dont believe boycotting a game is the answer.  Whats done is done those people aren't going to get those hours of their lives back and as terrible as it is not buying the game wont change that...Also on a more substantial note...This game looks awesome and is next on my purchase list. "
    actually, they'll also lose their jobs, making the whole situation worse. "
    psshhh, they should lose their jobs.  Serves them right for working so hard.
    Whitefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Whitefire

This makes me want the game even more. If we don't buy it, all that work will go to waste!

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Canberra

I really want this game so I will buy it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#316  Edited By Afroman269

lol

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#317  Edited By Kyreo
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "
    When the game has been in development for this long, the Publishers sometimes have to crack the whip.  That's the way life is.... deal with it. 

By deal with I mean don't boycott the game...
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#318  Edited By flaminghobo

Internet boycotts never work. Also, I might as well buy it so their hard work isn't put to waste.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#319  Edited By DukeTogo

This can be said of most games, especially those of the "AAA" status which are a big part of a company's fiscal plan.  You want to work on games?  It's crazy hours and Hell on a relationship, it's been that way since day one.  Anyone going into that business knows this and they sign the dotted line anyway.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By mano521

not gonna boycott a game just cuz some people didnt enjoy making it. thats retarded 

i can see why your name is what it is

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
    Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_killington said:
    "

I'm just going to copy what I wrote for the game's page:

" In January of 2010, a blog post published on Gamasutra written by the "Rockstar Spouse" pointed out the unethical practices used at Rockstar San Diego during this game's development, including 12 hour days and 6 day weeks, with lower-than-the-industry-average salary increase.  
    A few commentors on the blog who claimed to have worked at Rockstar San Diego at some point mentioned that the project is "an organic disaster of the most epic proportions ", that the game has been in development for more than 4 years, and that game developers from Rockstar Toronto, Rockstar Vancouver, Rockstar Leeds, Rockstar New England, and even the Midnight Club team at San Diego had to be transferred over to work on the game to finish it. 
    This controversy evoked similar emotions in media to the "EA Spouse" scandal, but it only seems as if the working conditions at Rockstar San Diego are considerably worse. " 

Gamasutra is a legit industry publication and commentors who work or used to work at Rockstar San Diego and some sources for Kotaku have confirmed such practices.  
    One of the commentors said that 15-16 hour days were becoming a norm. This is unethical. The employees should just have a massive walkout. 

And us, the consumers should show that we don't want people to be depressed or have "suicidal tendencies" because of making a fucking video game.

"
    Honestly, if we boycott the game, then the people who worked so hard will probably be worse off, as they will have been treated horribly by their employers and then fired because their game did not do well. As many people have said earlier, this is America, and the workers can sue if they want or just plain outright quit. However, if they are staying at their jobs, it shows that either they are not as bad off as it may seem, Rockstar is making an effort to improve their workplace, or they really need the job and can't afford to quit. Therefore, if you're REALLY concerned about the goodwill of these people, the best thing would be to support their work of art(yes, I am calling it that, because hundreds of hours of work are put into this video game by the staff) and buy it if it looks good. Don't be ridiculous and say that boycotting will help them. If the staff strikes and asks the public to not buy the game, then by all means go ahead if you want to help them. But don't go around taking the initiative and saying that people should boycott this, because it probably hurts them more than it helps them.
    SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#322  Edited By SumDeus

I'm buying this game, and so are all of my friends. Oh well.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By BreakfastKing

I don't think that a boycott is going to do much to change working conditions for developers.  Of course, its a terrible thing if it turns out to be true, but a boycott would be adding insult to injury.  The people that worked on the game generally have a pretty high stake in it being successful, ergo not buying it to do them a favor wouldn't make much sense.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By Zimbo

Sorry, but no. Its their choice to work there after all. Besides, if no one bought the game all their work would have been in vain. 

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By bicycleham

They can quit. Than that makes the jobs of the boycotters easier.

Avatar image for jellybeanranger
    JellybeanRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By JellybeanRanger

if you followed this you would probably boycott most companies in the world for using third world underage workers? being paid little money and working longer than this. No? didnt think you were going to

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By MrKlorox

I'd rather boycott stupid threads. But I can't seem to bring myself to do that either. Both this and RDR are too exemplary to ignore.

In fact why don't we all boycott the game so the hard work the devs did will be completely for nothing and they won't make any royalties! That's a great idea.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#328  Edited By project343
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @buzz_killington:  Yeah lets boycott the game then the game won't sell therefore all of them will be unemployed. Of course the execs that made them work the 15hr days will still have their job. You don't think shit through do you? "
    My thoughts exactly. If anything, we should all buy the game--give those 16-hour shift workers a little gratitude. BUT, we should also spread the word about such unethical practices.
    kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#329  Edited By kingjulesxii

lol at this failing. 

Yeah, I'm buying this day one. Instead of making a public spectacle of things, they should really just take this to the HR department.   

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By Lawrens

Never

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By deathbyyeti

This thread still exist? That is silly

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#333  Edited By Dustpan

You are out of your fucking mind.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#334  Edited By Jayross

Can I get a collective: Pfffftt....

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#335  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

As has been no doubt said 1000 times in this thread, if you don't like the idea of 16 hour crunch time days, either work for Blizzard (who pretty much ships games whenever they feel like it) or work in a different industry.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By CptBedlam

If the game does well, then maybe the employees of this studio get treated more respectfully by the publisher in the future. Maybe salary increases or bonuses depending on how the game performs or something like that.

So no, no boycott from me.

Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#337  Edited By Dynamitekyle
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @buzz_killington:  Yeah lets boycott the game then the game won't sell therefore all of them will be unemployed. Of course the execs that made them work the 15hr days will still have their job. You don't think shit through do you? "
    This man speaks the truth. All of their work will have been for nothing.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Dynamitekyle said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    This man speaks the truth. All of their work will have been for nothing. "
    By god you all are fucking morons. 

Listen, kids. A boycott is when everyone doesn't buy a thing that was unethically created. The people who created the object have already been paid unethically. All of their work has already been for nothing, that is the problem. The object has already been made and there is nothing wrong with it, so firing the team that made it would make no sense. Management could fire this team, make a new team, treat them as unethically, and the same boycott response would happen. The idea of the boycott is to link in management's mind that the ethical treatment of those who work for them is important to their bottom line.

But it's not because you are an idiot.
    Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By Siepher

Damn, that's horrible. 

@zombie2011
    said:

But I'm afraid I'm not boycutting it either. 
    caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By caseylakes

STFU oh and while your at it, GTFO

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By SpecTackle

So I just preordered this game. Can't wait, telling all my friends to do the same.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#342  Edited By crusnchill
    @buzz_killington said:

" @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "

In response first off: "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Second off: How many boycotts have ever worked out of the many famed ones in this industry? NONE.

Third off: People know that if they're going to work in the industry they know what they're getting into, this's how things have been for years, so this's no surprise.
    And as much as I agree that it's bad, you're a bit moronic to think that a boycott will ever help anyone.

So I repeat my first respone: "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

On a final note: At the end of a games development cycle all developers know that it's crunch time, the game needs to be finished. They're in the industry because they know this already.
    If they didn't then I lack respect for them for not doing the proper amount of research before hand.
    Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By Krazy_D

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/please-do-not-boycott-this-game/412492/ goddamnit. 

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By tunaburn

what a stupid idea. boycott cuz they spend to many hours  a day making it? just dumb man. ive spent plenty of 12 hour or more a day workweeks. plus whats the point of that? you just hurt the people that spend those hours even more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If this was a true story then this would be on real news sites. I am sure the Jack Thompson's of the world would jump on the chance to finally take down the evil Rockstar for being as bad as the sweatshops of Cambodia. So I call shenanigans. 
    I'll sign a useless online petition if it will make you happy.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By willylo

I feel more compelled to buy this game so that these people get their proper pay! Why would I boycott it?!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By ArchScabby
    @DanVenture said:
    " I had to work 15 hour shifts every saturday at a theme park I worked at for a few summers for 7 bucks an hour, I'm sure people working in hospitals do it all the time too, so maybe we should boycott theme parks and hospitals too? "
    Totally, fuck hospitals!  If I break my leg I'm going to the vet.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By Th3_James
    @Maniac_Matt said:
    "

That sucks, but i'm not boycotting this game.

"
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they have jobs. I am having issues even finding one. 

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By Tomorrowman

I'd work those same hours for the same pay if it meant I got to work for FREAKING ROCKSTAR GAMES!!!!!!  Seriously, 'mistreated spouse' was there because he wanted to be.  If he didn't like it he could go get a job at the grocery store.  He was obviously working there for a reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.