Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

And here... we... go...

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By labman

I just watched the Totally Rad Show's review that they posted today. Greatest review I've ever seen Jeff Cannata do! Oh, and the game sounds like shite.

averagegreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By averagegreg

I actually had this pre-ordered for about 6 months but cancelled it last week. Everything I had seen about the game put me right off it, and judging from these scores/impressions, it seems I made the right decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo and thought it had some problems, but was mostly fine. I really don't get why the Internet hates this game. Is it because it's too actiony? This isn't the direction I wanted the series to go in either, but for what it is, it seems perfectly fine.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Brad tweeted that he agrees with the low end of the scale. Jeff and Patrick's tweets also agree that the game is not good at all.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By Phatmac

I can't wait for duders to freak out due to the hate that RE6 is gonna get on the bombcast.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By blueduck

This is one of those games where you can tell which review sites have their reviews slanted for advertising dollars.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By zaglis

Man. That Gamespot video review is bumming me out so much. The QTEs were the worst part about RE5 and to learn that not only they didn't listen but they added more is utter insanity. They should have given RE6 to Valve. Seriously. NOT taking the control from the player is what they do best.

But whatever. I fucking loved RE5 to death on PC, I'm getting RE6 at a sale I suppose.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@DrDarkStryfe said:

Brad tweeted that he agrees with the low end of the scale. Jeff and Patrick's tweets also agree that the game is not good at all.

That sucks to hear. Don't care what Kevin review has to say because our taste in games don't line up at all. But if Brad and Patrick aren't liking the game to much it gives me pause for real. Man its been a while when a game purchase was gonna be a roll of the dice. I really liked RE5 and I liked the RE6 demo so hopefully it turns out ok for me.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By AngelN7

@Soapy86 said:

I played the demo and thought it had some problems, but was mostly fine. I really don't get why the Internet hates this game. Is it because it's too actiony? This isn't the direction I wanted the series to go in either, but for what it is, it seems perfectly fine.

Parts of RE5 were also actiony but it had good controls and gameplay to back it up , from what I played of RE6 ( the PSN demo) I didn't get the same feeling I'm still interested in playing it once it goes down in price and mostly for the story.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By EpicSteve

Fuck zombies with guns.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By EXTomar

Wait, since when do zombies have guns?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Benny

Funniest thing about this is that every comment thread on a negative review looks like this:

Oh dear shitstorm incoming!

Flames incoming!

oh o watch out for the shitstorm!

etc. etc. and so very, very few actual negative comments or flamers with the majority being 'I bet you get flamed for this!'

Seems even the fanboys can't apologise for this one.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Rafaelfc

so, word on the street is that this game is hot dogshit...

I think I will wait for a discount and get Binary Domain instead

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#115  Edited By Hector

@Mr_Misery said:

I guess I made the right decision not renting this from Gamefly Tuesday.

I made the right decision on renting this from GameFly instead of buying it! I'll try it out and if it is that bad I'll ship it right back to them!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#116  Edited By musubi

I think people saying that the game is awful makes me want it more actually. Who doesn't want to stare at the car wreck as you drive by? C'mon Tuesday! I've got 3 days off from work and I'm going to shoot me some Zambies!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Barrock

When Brad proclaims it to be shit, it's shit.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By BRNK

Why is everyone acting like a Resident Evil game being shit is surprising? They've all been poorly written, filled with wooden characters, and hogtied by awkward (at best) gameplay mechanics. Maybe RE6 is the merciful bullet in the head this series needed.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@BRNK said:

Why is everyone acting like a Resident Evil game being shit is surprising? They've all been poorly written, filled with wooden characters, and hogtied by awkward (at best) gameplay mechanics. Maybe RE6 is the merciful bullet in the head this series needed.

No don't say these things. Why you gotta be so mean? The first RE was that defining moment in my childhood where I knew video games were gonna be awesome. Then me and my friend got killed by that giant snake and realized we didn't have a memory card and had to start over =-(.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Yanngc33

@Barrock said:

Amen

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I remember the original rumors about RE6 was that it was going to be a complete reboot, that probably would have been best.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By nightriff

I remember a few years ago when I was still in High School I was a huge fan of Resident Evil. Played all the games, talked a lot about them with friends, my favorite franchise, god it was great....................................................what the fuck happened?

On a side note isn't this what happens to all Capcom franchises? Isn't this the stigma they have with games?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By mtcantor

Countdown to "The Resident Evil" begins.... now.

gregoryc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By gregoryc

@BRNK: I think people just hoped for another end-of-console-generation game like RE4. One that you could point to as having some (flawed, but) revolutionary mechanics. Some will be upset. I'm just excited for the QL later this week!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#125  Edited By nightriff

@mtcantor said:

Countdown to "The Resident Evil" begins.... now.

Hope not, just swap Resident Evil with Biohazard

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Nightriff said:

I remember a few years ago when I was still in High School I was a huge fan of Resident Evil. Played all the games, talked a lot about them with friends, my favorite franchise, god it was great....................................................what the fuck happened?

On a side note isn't this what happens to all Capcom franchises? Isn't this the stigma they have with games?

Shit this was me too. Looks like this could be the last RE game for me if I agree more with the negative reviews.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#127  Edited By Torrim

Revelations had a good, faithful start. You have a bit of exploration and key hunting, but about halfway through devolved into nonsense. You went from exploration to randomly jumping around with characters. There was no sense of player ownership as you progressed from flashback to character, to other random character, then a different level that was exactly the same and...ugh. With a story as intangible as most things resident Evil has become, I was getting frustrated. I know it had an episodic feel to it, but that was no excuse. Alan Wake is a better example on how you present something as episodic, as that game had a very good continuity to it. This was just random bullshit that never seemed to make me care about anything. The characters were worthless and boring.

The gameplay was actually decent! I imagine if you just split this game between the Ship and that ocean-city-thing, had the characters shut the fuck up, and forced them to explore some creepy locations (those monsters weren't half bad), but the fact that Resident Evil became a series that was so far up its own ass with crap story made me ultimately dislike the game.

I just don't see Resident Evil 6 departing from this trend of characters and fiction I don't care about.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#128  Edited By Yummylee

@Yanngc33 said:

@Barrock said:

Amen

Did my own toil mean nothing to you people?! @_@

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Klei

@Rafaelfc said:

I bought it on a Steam sale for like seven dollars. I felt raped by this horse-shit of a game. I'd give it to you gladly if I could.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#130  Edited By Humanity

@Klei said:

@Rafaelfc said:

I bought it on a Steam sale for like seven dollars. I felt raped by this horse-shit of a game. I'd give it to you gladly if I could.

I sincerely hope you mean RE6 because Binary Domain is a pretty damn good game.

@Yummylee said:

@Yanngc33 said:

@Barrock said:

Amen

You seem to have been ALMOST enjoying it! Not enough vitriol, just weathered resignation.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#131  Edited By EpicBenjamin

Seems like a very love it or hate it game. Seeing a lot of positive and mixed reviews. Either way, I can't wait for it to come out tomorrow, loved the demo.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Nekroskop

Good night, sweet prince...

It finally happened. RE is dead. 5 was at least tolerable, but this seems like a flop.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Klei

RE6 is what people asked for. In a way.

What do we tell japanese devs with our game sales? We tell them, hey, we're going to buy 16 million units of Call of Duty. We love Batman and God of War and QTE's. We love explosions.

Why the fuck would they make an old-ass survival horror that sells mediocrely? They're aiming for the average North American gamer. And they're right to do so; that's what gamers asked of them. And no, they don't listen to a couple of mouth breathers from the internet. They listen to sales. RE5 sold like hot pancakes.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#134  Edited By mutha3

Wow, I didn't think RE5 was all that hot, but this sounds like the worst.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Carryboy

Will pick it up around christmas when i have time to play it still hype!

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By zeushbien

@Klei said:

RE6 is what people asked for. In a way.

What do we tell japanese devs with our game sales? We tell them, hey, we're going to buy 16 million units of Call of Duty. We love Batman and God of War and QTE's. We love explosions.

Why the fuck would they make an old-ass survival horror that sells mediocrely? They're aiming for the average North American gamer. And they're right to do so; that's what gamers asked of them. And no, they don't listen to a couple of mouth breathers from the internet. They listen to sales. RE5 sold like hot pancakes.

Still doesn't excuse them making a bad copy of a western game.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By BRNK

@DeShawn2ks said:

@BRNK said:

No don't say these things. Why you gotta be so mean? The first RE was that defining moment in my childhood where I knew video games were gonna be awesome. Then me and my friend got killed by that giant snake and realized we didn't have a memory card and had to start over =-(.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I just meant that this series has enjoyed some serious rose-colored glasses from it's fans for quite some time. I've played some of the RE series and parts of most of it, but I don't have the nostalgic connection, so the reverence for the series is baffling to me.

@gregoryc said:

@BRNK: I think people just hoped for another end-of-console-generation game like RE4. One that you could point to as having some (flawed, but) revolutionary mechanics. Some will be upset. I'm just excited for the QL later this week!

That's understandable. RE4 had some great ideas in it. Since then Resident Evil has been struggling to fit in; uncomfortable in it's skin and straddling the enormous chasm between survival horror and action game mechanics. They seem to have chosen action over horror and that's apparently something no one wants. Time to stop beating a dead horse of a series, if you ask me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#138  Edited By Milkman

I don't understand how anyone could be surprised by this. How did anyone live in a world where this game looked like anything other than hot garbage since day one?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Rafaelfc

I think Resident Evil needs a reboot from a different developer. because as a series, it's become a parody of itself both in it's mythology and it's gameplay style....

Someone really needs to reinvent the series and bring it to a new generation, I think even trying to go back to the original format isn't gonna cut it, it needs a fresh spin.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@BRNK: I understand what you are saying. That is one of the reasons I try never to go back to older games I really enjoyed. Can be hard to accept at times but I know if I went back to RE1 & 2 I would hate that shit. Hell I probably wouldn't like the RE1 remake on game cube either now. The only game I have ever been able to go back to with no problem is Chrono Trigger. If I want a taste of nostalgia that is my go to game right there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Yummylee

@Humanity said:

@Yummylee said:

@Yanngc33 said:

@Barrock said:

Amen

You seem to have been ALMOST enjoying it! Not enough vitriol, just weathered resignation.

I guess that's true. Though the first three chapter's of Leon's campaign are actually pretty OK! But you read through my posts further in the thread and you can see the slow degeneration of my enjoyment :P

Frankly what's really left me sore about RE6 is the story. I knew the gameplay wasn't going to be anything exceptional, but I held hope for the story to deliver given the marketing they done for it all. So much wasted potential... I had such crazy ideas for where some of the plot points could have lead to. Though I suppose Chris' story is alright, and the ending is a little sombre. But I wanted more! I wanted to feel maaaaan, I wanted this game to leave me feeling all melancholic and depressed afterwards as I finished it up. Which I suppose technically it did, but for all of the wrong reasons >_>

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Yummylee

@BRNK said:

@DeShawn2ks said:

@BRNK said:

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, I just meant that this series has enjoyed some serious rose-colored glasses from it's fans for quite some time. I've played some of the RE series and parts of most of it, but I don't have the nostalgic connection, so the reverence for the series is baffling to me.

I can still play and enjoy the older games without no fuss. My love for the original survival horror entries has got nothing to do with nostalgia.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By AngelN7

I still think this is kinda of a bummer Resident Evil 5 was great but that was the end of that arc they shouldn't have tried to keep pushing the action beyond that , why didn't they make this a Leon solo game like RE4?.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Milkman said:

I don't understand how anyone could be surprised by this. How did anyone live in a world where this game looked like anything other than hot garbage since day one?

I don't know man me and you must have a very different definition of what hot garbage looks like. That first RE6 trailer got me hyped. Still a little concerned though but there are still some real good reviews out there. The only real negative one is by a guy who reviews or opinions I don't listen to anyways. Still scared that there is that chance that this is the game that me and him actually agree on.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Hellstrom

RE5 was garbage, i have no clue how anyone could have thought RE6 would be any better. I didn't even try the demo, i know exactly what to expect.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Yummylee

@AngelN7 said:

I still think this is kinda of a bummer Resident Evil 5 was great but that was the end of that arc they shouldn't have tried to keep pushing the action beyond that , why didn't they make this a Leon solo game like RE4?.

Because they wanted dat CoD cash. Even though he was kind of a douche about it, but Klei speaks the truth. RE5 brought in a much broader audience than the series had ever known and it was because Resident Evil adopted a more cooperative, action-focussed setup.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#147  Edited By musubi

@BRNK: I don't think its "rose colored glasses" Its just become a niche title like so many big titles of the past have become. A similar fate befell Final Fantasy. Most people don't give a shit anymore but the people who do still REALLY do. This is extremely obvious in the reviews of these games both FFXIII and RE6 have had their respective reviews all over the goddamn place. Its a polarizing game simply because either you "get it" or you don't. If you don't then fine cool play what you like but also keep in mind the game isn't made for you. The focus on game development has moved from Japan to the western market with the success of the Xbox 360 this generation and with it people's expectations and so these storied franchises have waned in popularity with the mass crowds because of that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By EXTomar

I don't necessarily have a problem with an old game franchise branching out and trying new styles and genres but I do have a problem when they make a bad game. It appears that the camera and AI are clunky which aren't so much about the style of the game but about execution. Capcom should be free to make a Gears style RE shooter if they want but they need to do it right.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By stryker1121

Holy shit, this game is getting quite the bludgeoning from the major sites. Destructoid gave it a 3/10 and Sterling's (albeit hyperbolic) review is brutal: http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

Good to see reviewers calling Capcom out on their bullshit. This game had red flags on it from day one. The homogenized nature of the "AAA" industry seems to be reflected in RE6. Christ, people want unique experiences and don't need every game to be like CoD/Gears, etc. I'm probably being naive, but the success of DayZ, Amnesia, Slender and more show that gamers are clamoring for something that will challenge them, and don't need to be a playable Michael Bay movie.

durden77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By durden77

Still going to buy it for myself and make my own decision. And I genuinely enjoyed the demo, so I'd imagine I'd like the full game.

Plus I've already committed to doing a video series on it. I hope it's entertaining enough for that now, haha.

I can't for sure say either way on whether I agree with these reviews or not considering I don't have the full game, but some of them do seem a bit needlessly harsh, and not so much concentrated on judging the game itself. Rather what it represents and the commotion around it and Capcom. I'm not even trying to defend the game because like I said, I don't have it. I just don't like badly written reviews.

I think that the Gamespot review was pretty solid, but I don't feel like it matches the score. And if Kevin's tweets are to be believed, he attached a score to the game before he even finished writing the review. That's just gross.

It'll be intriguing to see what Brad says about the game, but I'm more interested in what my own tastes think when I get it tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.