Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Resistance 2, is it going to sell bad on its launch day?

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DARKIDO07

Now before you see my green name and scream "Xbox Fanboy" I have a serious question/thought to say. I think launching Resistance 2 on November 4, is going to kill its first day sales. Everyone over the age of 18 is going to waiting in line for hours waiting to vote, not at GameStop or Bestbuy. Now this game should sell well, but that first day (in my opinion) is going to be bad if my prediction is correct.  I think they should move the date to either Novemeber 5th, or November 3rd to avoid launching a HUGE game for the Playstation 3 on election day. Launching this game on election day would be like launching Gears of War 2 on Christmas Day, sure the sales after that day are going to be great, but those first day ones aren't going to do so well. I don't know what do you guys think?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

You have a pretty good point. But all my experiences at the voting places has actually been very nice. I guess we'll see.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ma7moud

Yeah. I think you might be right.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

I understand your point, but as far as the main people antisipating the game, they have it reserved already more than likely so will be picking it up on release regardless of election day..and to anyone else it will probably still be around days after its launch so they can pick it up then. I don't think it will interfere all that much.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I'm going to pre-order, so...

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitNRun

I sincerely doubt there's that much overlap between people who buy AAA shooters on day 1 and people who vote, unfortunately (fortunately?).

Also, you're underestimating how many sales of "M" games are kids who shouldn't be playing the game.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Player1

I don't think its that big of deal. First off the majority of the people buying it probably cant vote, secondly the people voting will be out, so they will easily be able to pick up this game. Its a good though though. I thought you were going to say because it is around the new cod. Which could be another reason why it doesn't sell as well. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

I really haven't seen many people at all caring for the new Cod..I'm pretty sure more people are antisipating resistance far more than that game.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Now before you see my green name and scream "Xbox Fanboy" I have a serious question/thought to say. I think launching Resistance 2 on November 4, is going to kill its first day sales. Everyone over the age of 18 is going to waiting in line for hours waiting to vote, not at GameStop or Bestbuy. Now this game should sell well, but that first day (in my opinion) is going to be bad if my prediction is correct.  I think they should move the date to either Novemeber 5th, or November 3rd to avoid launching a HUGE game for the Playstation 3 on election day. Launching this game on election day would be like launching Gears of War 2 on Christmas Day, sure the sales after that day are going to be great, but those first day ones aren't going to do so well. I don't know what do you guys think?"
    Well, seeing as the percentage of people in the 18-25 group who vote is horrible, and those are the people buying the game, then I don't think it will be that big of a deal at all.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "Now before you see my green name and scream "Xbox Fanboy" I have a serious question/thought to say. I think launching Resistance 2 on November 4, is going to kill its first day sales. Everyone over the age of 18 is going to waiting in line for hours waiting to vote, not at GameStop or Bestbuy. Now this game should sell well, but that first day (in my opinion) is going to be bad if my prediction is correct.  I think they should move the date to either Novemeber 5th, or November 3rd to avoid launching a HUGE game for the Playstation 3 on election day. Launching this game on election day would be like launching Gears of War 2 on Christmas Day, sure the sales after that day are going to be great, but those first day ones aren't going to do so well. I don't know what do you guys think?"
    Well, seeing as the percentage of people in the 18-25 group who vote is horrible, and those are the people buying the game, then I don't think it will be that big of a deal at all."
    I guess I underestimated the number of 18-25 olds that don't vote....sadly.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By KillaMaStA

Im preordering so i dont know when ill get it but still i dont think it will be a big problem(A 1 day difference isnt all that much)

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Otacon

Very good point, yet it will still sell well over its first weekend, thats what matters.

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By English
    Player1 said:
    "I don't think its that big of deal. First off the majority of the people buying it probably cant vote, secondly the people voting will be out, so they will easily be able to pick up this game.Its a good though though. I thought you were going to say because it is around the new cod. Which could be another reason why it doesn't sell as well. "
    He's right! It is a good though though.
    Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Mattzz10

It's not like it takes that long to vote.  Voting isn't going to take up your whole day.  This may help actually, as when those people are done voting, they pass by a EB/Gamestop and go buy the game.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demyx
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    Well, seeing as the percentage of people in the 18-25 group who vote is horrible, and those are the people buying the game, then I don't think it will be that big of a deal at all."
    I guess I underestimated the number of 18-25 olds that don't vote....sadly."
    And the 17 year olds who are old enough to get it, but still can't vote yet.

pause422 said:
    "I really haven't seen many people at all caring for the new Cod..I'm pretty sure more people are antisipating resistance far more than that game."
    Yeah, I have to say its not on my radar.
    ILOVETHEENOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ILOVETHEENOT

maybe it might affect it a bit in the states but in Canada it won't because we have our election exactly 1 month before realease. I think that R2 will sell well the first day and will have a very long shelf life.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By efrucht
    Mattzz10 said:
    "It's not like it takes that long to vote.  Voting isn't going to take up your whole day.  This may help actually, as when those people are done voting, they pass by a EB/Gamestop and go buy the game."
    This is my plan.
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By trulyalive

In all fairness, it's most likely to sell badly because a lot of people just aren't interested in what they've seen of it...
    I mean, I'll admit, I'm gonna pick it up, because I liked Resistance 1, but the footage so far has been somewhat underwhelming.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

gamers dont really care about voting... its now like votes count now-a-days

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By calf_exercises

not in in the rest of the world though. I know I will be getting at launch. 

Erdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erdie

Won't stop me from buying it day one! :)

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok

What do you mean "everyone over the age of 18 is going to be in line to vote"? Who votes anymore? Why would you want to vote? There are gamers who don't live in the US as well... are they going to be voting too?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pibo47

Im not sure if i am going to be gettin ghtis game anymore, mainly from some of the gameplay i have seen l8ly.....but i wont be picking it up on election day for sure.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

The same thing's going to happen with this game as is going to happen with LBP - it'll debut about sixth or seventh on the charts and disappear pretty quickly. I've no doubt it will sell decently for a PS3 game - but it'll get stomped by the likes of GeOW2 and COD:WAW.

Thus expect a lot of Sony doom-slaying.

I doubt Resistance 2 will score well either - even if it is the better game standing side-by-side to Halo 3, it doesn't have the hype that's required to award a game a 10/10 these days. Of course scores don't matter really - it's personal enjoyment... but if both this and LBP don't make a decent dent on the software charts... well, it's a tad worrying for Sony seeing as they are the two humongous releases.

PureRok said:

"What do you mean "everyone over the age of 18 is going to be in line to vote"? Who votes anymore? Why would you want to vote? There are gamers who don't live in the US as well... are they going to be voting too?"
    Irrelevant... Eu doesn't get it until the end of the month.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it could also be a smart move, since people wold already be out they may swing by and pick it up.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

i don't think it will slel amazingly... because it's not that sort of game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb

I never thought about the voting, great point. Games appeal to a younger audience (14-30 average?) and Obama is creating an amazing wave of new voter turnout, this may very well interfere with the game's sales.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AndrewGaspar

"Everyone over the age of 18 is going to waiting in line for hours waiting to vote,"

LOL!!!!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BiggerBomb
    AndrewGaspar said:
    ""Everyone over the age of 18 is going to waiting in line for hours waiting to vote,"

LOL!!!!"

Everyone may be an exaggeration, but he is just making a point, a credible one I might add. People are going to be voting, more than any other presidential election in history. Even if you personally can't vote, your parents will be voting. If parents are voting, they can't give their kids a ride to the store.

I agree, sales will be affected.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shadows_kill

isnt gears 2 releaseing on nov.4 also..i thought it was. plus voting takes 20 mins there is still time to get r2 and play.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demyx
    shadows_kill said:
    "isnt gears 2 releaseing on nov.4 also..i thought it was. plus voting takes 20 mins there is still time to get r2 and play."
    its releasing on the 7th.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shadows_kill
    Demyx said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "isnt gears 2 releaseing on nov.4 also..i thought it was. plus voting takes 20 mins there is still time to get r2 and play."
    its releasing on the 7th."
    i knew it was around that time i was thinking it was same day as r2.
    insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By insanegamer

after you vote just swing around to a game shop and pick up RS2 and go home and play it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb
    shadows_kill said:
    Yeah I was going to ask how long it takes to vote in US because like in England I wouldn't expect it to take longer than 10 minutes. The original poster was making out like it would take all day.

In fact (I don't know where you guys have to go to vote but...) surely if you're heading out to vote you can easily stop by to your local game store to pick up the game on the way (/back)?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PureRok
    get2sammyb said:
    PureRok said:
    "What do you mean "everyone over the age of 18 is going to be in line to vote"? Who votes anymore? Why would you want to vote? There are gamers who don't live in the US as well... are they going to be voting too?"
    Irrelevant... Eu doesn't get it until the end of the month.
    "
    Not irrelevant, unless it's coming out later in Canada as well.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shadows_kill
    get2sammyb said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    Yeah I was going to ask how long it takes to vote in US because like in England I wouldn't expect it to take longer than 10 minutes. The original poster was making out like it would take all day.

In fact (I don't know where you guys have to go to vote but...) surely if you're heading out to vote you can easily stop by to your local game store to pick up the game on the way (/back)?"
    it takes no time at all really. most people dont vote on election day they vote ahead of time.

each place is different. here there are like 8 places to register to vote at. 3 are near a walmart. 2 near a gamestop. so yeah you can easly get it but its not that way every where. there are usaly more than one place in a town.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb
    shadows_kill said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "shadows_kill said:

In fact (I don't know where you guys have to go to vote but...) surely if you're heading out to vote you can easily stop by to your local game store to pick up the game on the way (/back)?"
    it takes no time at all really. most people dont vote on election day they vote ahead of time.

each place is different. here there are like 8 places to register to vote at. 3 are near a walmart. 2 near a gamestop. so yeah you can easly get it but its not that way every where. there are usaly more than one place in a town."

On election day, it takes a crapload of time. Especially with the expected voter turnout this year.
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
    Demyx said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    its releasing on the 7th."
    The same day as Madagascar 2?! AW FUCK! There goes Gears 2's sales...
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daniel_beck_90

yeah , November 4 I will be busy voting . 

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ocdog45

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.