Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Robbie Bach

Person » credited in 6 games

The former President of Entertainment & Devices Division at Microsoft, Robert (Robbie) Bach lead the division responsible for, among other things, the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Windows Games platforms. He announced his retirement from Microsoft on May 25, 2010 after 22 years of service.

Xbox Head Bach Retires, J Allard Departs Microsoft

• 71 results
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Afroman269

You forgot to mention the inhale.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By giyanks22

This stinks...I hope that microsoft can continue to be successful. 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By ZombiePie

Well rarely do people stay in the same company forever in the United States. I mean Seamus Blackley, who was the real brains behind the Xbox, left once the machine was released.  

Also I think that the J Allard references will only become more common since he has left.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By mikemcn

I'm sorry for your loss Brad Shoemaker, he was a good man.

Avatar image for hiroprotagonist
    HiroProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By HiroProtagonist

Xtreme sports are the future kids. Bank on it.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By McQuinn

NOOOOOO! Now who are we supposed to put in space giraffe 2?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By jakob187

Hoodie/blazer combos will never be the same.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#58  Edited By Brackynews

You    do that J.  You do that.
     You do that J.  You do that.
    @sodiumCyclops said:

" @themartyr said:

" What does the J stand for? "

Judy "
    No no. It's after his parents. Bea Hunnicutt, and Jay Hunnicutt.
    Hopefully he gets some free time to finally guest star on the bombcast.
    _k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#59  Edited By _k1_

J Allard deserves more than a single sentence. 

This was a man who changed his name to match his Microsoft email address and who transformed from a pudgy middle aged guy into a corporate hipster icon.  

I just hope he doesn't gain 75 lbs and go back to calling himself 'James'. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude, it's Alan Wake with that style.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Hector

Alan Wake is J. Allard.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Andorski

I don't know why, but I'm deeply saddened by the idea that J. Allard will never come back to working with the Xbox brand.

Avatar image for alfredpmclovely
    AlfredPMcLovely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#63  Edited By AlfredPMcLovely

Wow, I had no idea they were so important.  Those accomplishments you listed really are some of the best things about gaming for me.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By AuthenticM

J Allard will step on the Sony stage at its E3 press conference. How fucking insane would that be huh?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By tebbit

"  Western developers were able to gain a foothold in console development." 

Err, because developers like Naughty Dog and Insomniac were struggling terribly on the Playstation and Playstation 2?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By meteora

Oh man, that sucks. 

Wasn't J Allard part of the Xboxocalpyse coverage?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I would argue that achievements are one of the worst things to come out of the XBox 360, replacing an enjoyable experience with endless grinds for 1000 points in usually mediocre games.  

The rest of these things were already bullet points in PC gaming used years before the 360 was sold in retail. 

Other things brought to us thanks to Microsoft:  The idea the we should have to pay a subscription fee for what usually amounts to p2p gaming, paid DLC, massive console menu ad spam.

In every instance that I've seen the man, Allard comes out as a pretentious douchebag.  I can't speak to Robbie Bach, but as an organization, Microsoft has in most cases ripped off ideas that originated on the PC and made them their own, usually charging people beyond the price of the console to utilize them.  I have a 360, and it's a good system for the most part, but to claim innovation when it's 90% duplication is an insult to the PC developers that brought these features to us originally.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#68  Edited By Hailinel

Alas, a harbinger of bad fashion sense has left us.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By Radar

It's hard to imagine where the industry would be without the Xbox. Both deserve the praise and their time off. 

I'm a little worried about the Xbox division being in direct control of Ballmer, hopefully he doesn't cram other Microsoft properties into my box. I'm offput by the mere fact that the video marketplace is now called Zune Marketplace... if I have to see Office, Hotmail, MSN, Bing tabs on my NXE... Probably won't happen though.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By EmuLeader
    @Jimbo said:
    " So they mostly made a bunch of existing PC stuff work on a cheap, standardized PC.  Twice.  Then entered two console races with them and lost both times.  Then moved on to the Zune?    There's a reason he's "leaving to spend more time with this family" or whatever, take your pick.  I think you're perhaps overselling how much gaming owes to these guys a bit. "
    spoken like a true fanboy. a rather pathetic attempt at putting down the xbox while making yourself sound like an arrogant jackass. i laughed quite a bit at the losing the console wars part.  i'm not going to say they won but on top of your already weak argument, it sounds like your really stretching for things to pick at.  Your whole argument could be said about video games as a whole, moving from computers, and mp3 players in general have also been a major part of the technology market.  to be able to put out something to directly compete against the near monopoly apple had on the market is pretty  impressive.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jimbo
    @EmuLeader said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " So they mostly made a bunch of existing PC stuff work on a cheap, standardized PC.  Twice.  Then entered two console races with them and lost both times.  Then moved on to the Zune?    There's a reason he's "leaving to spend more time with this family" or whatever, take your pick.  I think you're perhaps overselling how much gaming owes to these guys a bit. "
    spoken like a true fanboy. a rather pathetic attempt at putting down the xbox while making yourself sound like an arrogant jackass. i laughed quite a bit at the losing the console wars part.  i'm not going to say they won but on top of your already weak argument, it sounds like your really stretching for things to pick at.  Your whole argument could be said about video games as a whole, moving from computers, and mp3 players in general have also been a major part of the technology market.  to be able to put out something to directly compete against the near monopoly apple had on the market is pretty  impressive. "
    Being called a fanboy doesn't bother me.  Do you actually have a rebuttal to anything I said?  Most of the stuff in this news article being credited to Xbox (and therefore these guys) had nothing to do with them.  As has already been said, Western developers had more than a 'foothold' in console development before the Xbox came along (Crash Bandicoot? Tomb Raider?  You may have heard of them).  The 'social gaming experience' did not start with the Xbox (Arcades?  MMOs?  Going to each others houses? XBL is the anathema of social gaming compared to these things).  If you're going to award credit for the 'propogation of downloadable games', it's pretty clear it belongs to Valve.

They made a pad that could play PC genres pretty good, I'll give them that, and they're welcome to claim 'Achievements' - the most ironic thing in gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.