How the fuck is Kotick in the top 20 influencial men 2010?

#1 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I'm looking through the 49 most influential men of 2010, and to my surprise at number 16 who do I see? Bobby fucking Kotick.  Who voted for him to be that high up?  Just because he makes a shit ton of money doesn't make him influential.  There's a lot to say about him but I think it's been exhausted in other threads, I thought I'd just bring this up to show everyone who the 16th most influential man is, he beat the president for fucks sake. 
 
Link

#2 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

because he gets results. Sure I hate him, however he gets results.

#3 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

They chose him like he created Modern Warfare and World of Warcraft by himself. Then you have the whole Infinity Ward thing which is shady on both sides. Oh well, what should we expect from a non-gaming website. Plus it's just another stupid list that sites are always putting up because people love to look at those things.

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

How about you explain to the rest of us why he shouldn't be on the list or in the top 20 of it?

#5 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" Just because he makes a shit ton of money doesn't make him influential. "

He is almost universally despised by gamers, says whatever the fuck he wants, admits he would charge us more if he could, literally does not give a shit about originality and still published the most successful entertainment title in history.

And your saying he doesint have some kind of influence on people?

#6 Posted by TheHT (11101 posts) -

Well he managed to get lots of people to talk about him on numerous occasions. I dunno about top 20 though. Maybe it was a weak year? :P

Online
#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

He makes shareholders money, you don't. 
 
Don't be a dumbass, and how about open a book about business and see why people get placed on that list.  

#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

We're talking about him right now. Check out that influence.

#9 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" He makes shareholders money, you don't.  Don't be a dumbass, and how about open a book about business and see why people get placed on that list.   "
Yeah because that list was so wisely put together with Jon Stewart at the top along with Lebron James and George Clooney beating out Barack Obama. You don't need a book on business to see this list is bullshit, it has nothing to do with influence, it's a popularity contest.
#10 Edited by Ignor (2372 posts) -
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
#11 Edited by Lukeweizer (2640 posts) -
@Hamz said:

" How about you explain to the rest of us why he shouldn't be on the list or in the top 20 of it? "

Because he makes his company millions of dollars a year and manages one of the biggest game publishers out there... so I guess that's a bad thing?
#12 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

He is an idol to many wanna-be ruthless businessmen.

#13 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@RankRabbit: Uh, do you not know what is happening on Saturday in DC?  Why wouldn't Stewart be up there, the bigger insult is that he beat Colbert. 
 
Fucking hate Stewart, all about sanity.  Colbert knows the truth.
#14 Edited by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

He has a huge influence on the gaming industry. It isnt a popularity contest.

#15 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

He has been incredibly influential on the industry.  See: 
 
The rhythm genre explosion. 
The CoD explosion. 
The two devs taking turns releasing a game every year model. 
  
There's more, but regardless of gamers' hate for him, he has had an indelible impact on gaming in the last 5 years.
#16 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@RankRabbit said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" He makes shareholders money, you don't.  Don't be a dumbass, and how about open a book about business and see why people get placed on that list.   "
Yeah because that list was so wisely put together with Jon Stewart at the top along with Lebron James and George Clooney beating out Barack Obama. You don't need a book on business to see this list is bullshit, it has nothing to do with influence, it's a popularity contest. "
I can't think of a single thing that George Clooney has done this year.
 
Who the fuck is Lebron James?
#17 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" How about you explain to the rest of us why he shouldn't be on the list or in the top 20 of it? "
Yeah, I'd also like to hear that explanation.
#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4921 posts) -

Just as you think they've confused lots of money with lots of influence, you seem to have confused "influential" with "good." Say what you will about the guy, good or bad, but he has had massive INFLUENCE on the business and developmental side of videogames. 

#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

This list is all about who makes top news. Of course he's going to be on that list. It's only due to the fact that he feeds the media because of what he says. If you noticed, some of the people on the list are just television idols. So therefore, no money is involved. It's all about headlines. Trust me, if Bobby Kotick has kept his mouth shut, then he wouldn't be making that list.  
 
@KaosAngel said:

" Fucking hate Stewart, all about sanity.  Colbert knows the truth. "
You media loving hate-monger.
#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

because he gets results. Sure I hate him, however he gets results.

"
Sadly, I agree.  He knows how to make money.
#21 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" Just as you think they've confused lots of money with lots of influence, you seem to have confused "influential" with "good." Say what you will about the guy, good or bad, but he has had massive INFLUENCE on the business and developmental side of videogames.  "
he's contributed to the monopolization of video games in general, and he's done great things finance wise (though "great" in any other context is hardly apt for this man), but i fail to see how he has contributed to development of video games at all, as he's involved strictly in the publication and financial side of activision blizzard. it's not as if he heads down to blizzard every now and then to check that the zerg are being balanced fairly.
#22 Posted by Jimbo (9797 posts) -

I don't think the people voting for this understand what 'influential' means.

#23 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

I am mad about Robert Kotick irl

#24 Posted by Undeadpool (4921 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" @Undeadpool said:
" Just as you think they've confused lots of money with lots of influence, you seem to have confused "influential" with "good." Say what you will about the guy, good or bad, but he has had massive INFLUENCE on the business and developmental side of videogames.  "
he's contributed to the monopolization of video games in general, and he's done great things finance wise (though "great" in any other context is hardly apt for this man), but i fail to see how he has contributed to development of video games at all, as he's involved strictly in the publication and financial side of activision blizzard. it's not as if he heads down to blizzard every now and then to check that the zerg are being balanced fairly. "
I guess I was more talking about his contributions indirectly in that more money coming in equates to more development, or at least different methods of development. I didn't mean to imply that Kotick was a dev or anything. Still, incredibly influential to the industry.
#25 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Seriously? If you can't see his influence then I guess you haven't heard of the Call Of Duty series and the Guitar Hero series. Not to mention by creating this thread you are demonstrating the influence he has over people.

#26 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Yo, why are you guys bitching about Kotick when that idiot Stewart beat Colbert? 
 
That's the true crime.   
 
I swear, Stewart rigged the entire thing.

#27 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

He fired the people in charge of making the current leading game franchise in numerous fields.
 
That's fucking influence.

#28 Edited by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@RobotHamster: Dude AskMen is a retarded website, don't worry about it. 
 
I also like how of the three franchises they give him credit to, two are basically dead because they were drove into the ground. Sure he "gets results" but he only does so by driving games into the ground year after year, and he is only able to drive them into the ground because they were so popular in the first place. What happens when they have no franchises left, or they make games that aren't as popular, or people just don't think it's worth the risk working for him anymore. He isn't really a smart businessman, he got lucky, had a few really popular franchises and didn't know of anything else to do than to make those games over and over and over.
#29 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

I lol'd.

#30 Posted by Dipstick (547 posts) -

He's successful, haters gonna hate 

#31 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

I like how everyone is jumping on the OP for calling out this bogus list. Modern Warfare 2, the main reason he's on here, still exists and still makes ten trillion dollars whether the president of that company is Bobby Kotick or Mickey Mouse.
 
Maybe a lot of people think controversial means influential.

#32 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
he makes a shit ton of money, but in no way, shape, or form is he influential. i think power is being confused with influence here.
#33 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Just because he has money doesn't make him influential. He gets results but his bleeding franchises dry business model doesn't seem to inspire other publishers to do the same. Rich, but not influential

#34 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

wow i never realized he looks like a fucking troll. a total weasel. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.