Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Lucifer, Satan, wtF?

• 119 results
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Hitler's in Persona 2: Innocent Sin as a boss fight. So?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Turambar
    @AnimZero: Yep, and he wields the spear of Longinus too.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @AnimZero said:
    " Hitler's in Persona 2: Innocent Sin as a boss fight. So? "
    Relevance?  He's depicted as an enemy (boss) and not an ally (Persona).
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54  Edited By KaosAngel

Aren't they the same person?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By dbz1995

Isnt it the fact that Satan and Lucifer is/are master/s of Hell, one of the places where you may go to when you are 'judged' in the afterlife? Thats why Anubis is Judgement as well.

It really isn't THAT difficult.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By TheGodPoet

They're different entities in the Atlus games with a different lore in them too. For example Satan in the games delivers Gods judgement. Think that's what it is.

MaSteRMaSteR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MaSteRMaSteR

jack frostism

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By General_D23

Well, before this completely descends into a religion thread, let me offer this: 

You could think of the presence of the two in the Judgement link in three ways, or more, but I'm offering three.  

1. In the Bible, both Satan and Lucifer tests mens piety, Adam and Eve, and Job, respectively. You can take the meaning of Judgement in that sense.
    2.Both are considered enemies of God and reside in hell. They judged and cast out. 
    3. Finally, as has been said, both are considered great powers in hell. They rule over it, and dispense judgement on those that go there. 

Now, the comments of Atlas being a bunch of Satanists is very offensive. Please remember that we are talking about a company numbering hundreds of employees. Any claim that they are all a bunch of Satanists is fucking crazy.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Tarsier said:

" @Aeterna said:

" @OP: Go back to your church or something dude, you're clearly not ready to be out in the open among free minded people. "
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Tarsier said:
    " Does anyone else find that Lucifer and Satan are in this game with the titles "Seeker of Truth" and "Judge" a little bit disturbing?  Do we have a bunch of creepy pedofile asian Satanists possessing Jeff and Vinny's minds?? "
    You're pathetic. "
     How can one man compete against such reckless hate? "
    How can one man's mind be so twisted by fictional religious icons?
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Eirikr: I must say, I'm quite impressed with your religious knowledge.  Were you a theology major by any chance?  Or are you just very well read on the subject?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho
    @General_D23 said:
    " Well, before this completely descends into a religion thread, let me offer this:  You could think of the presence of the two in the Judgement link in three ways, or more, but I'm offering three.   1. In the Bible, both Satan and Lucifer tests mens piety, Adam and Eve, and Job, respectively. You can take the meaning of Judgement in that sense.2.Both are considered enemies of God and reside in hell. They judged and cast out. 3. Finally, as has been said, both are considered great powers in hell. They rule over it, and dispense judgement on those that go there.  Now, the comments of Atlas being a bunch of Satanists is very offensive. Please remember that we are talking about a company numbering hundreds of employees. Any claim that they are all a bunch of Satanists is fucking crazy. "
    Agreed. Just because someone isn't Christian doesn't mean they can't see the compelling bits in Christian lore, just like gods and stories from long dead religions continue to circulate in the mainstream because they're still compelling, regardless of their factualness. Im more inclined to believe most workers at Atlus are religiously unaffiliated, as are most Japanese. They see a figure like Satan as compelling for the same reason we all find Leprechauns and fairies and ferryman-esc depiction of Death with the skull and scyth compelling.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By dbz1995
    @ryanwho said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " What's wrong with Satan? He killed what? 1 person in the bible? While God killed too many to count? "
    You are uninformed. When  on the subject of things you know little to nothing about, saying nothing is usually the best option. "
    But didn't God try to end the world within the Bible...twice? From what I know-I could be wrong as well, of course.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ryanwho said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " What's wrong with Satan? He killed what? 1 person in the bible? While God killed too many to count? "
    You are uninformed. When  on the subject of things you know little to nothing about, saying nothing is usually the best option. "
    I have to say you are becoming a real asshole in my eyes right about now. Regularly every post I see from you is negative in a way or insulting another user.
    I would suggest and wish that you would stop being so rude and acting like everyone is your stupid 7 year old grandson that you hate. CL60's post had a lot of truth in it and it is unfair for you to say what he can and cannot write just because you deem it 
    "unworthy".
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ryanwho

A lot of truth? Who's the single person Satan killed? He never killed anyone. Uninformed.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:

" A lot of truth? Who's the single person Satan killed? He never killed anyone. Uninformed. "

Satan killed 10 people. God killed 2,301,417. And the 10 that Satan killed he did as part of a bet with god. It was the Seven sons and three daughters of Job. 

So how about you do research first before going off on me.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By eirikr
    @ChrisTaran: Heh, well, I was an English major in college but as part of that I took an Irish mythology course that sparked a general interest in mythology and theology that saw me reading a ton of stuff over an entire summer. It's what got me into Shin Megami Tensei in the first place.  Whenever I encounter a new demon or such, I try to read up on it. See also: comparative religion via Joseph Campbell.

Also, I'm agnostic now, but I grew up Christian, so I know Christian dogma and -- most importantly -- I understand the mind of a Christian, since I had one. One of the options I've thought of for the future is going back to school and studying theology. I know I'd like it.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By agent_lost

I like to remind people that Persona 4 is rate M for Mature.

MaSteRMaSteR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MaSteRMaSteR

that man is right, get bent Tarsier

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By penguindust
    @ryanwho said:
    " @General_D23 said:
    " Well, before this completely descends into a religion thread, let me offer this:  You could think of the presence of the two in the Judgement link in three ways, or more, but I'm offering three.   1. In the Bible, both Satan and Lucifer tests mens piety, Adam and Eve, and Job, respectively. You can take the meaning of Judgement in that sense.2.Both are considered enemies of God and reside in hell. They judged and cast out. 3. Finally, as has been said, both are considered great powers in hell. They rule over it, and dispense judgement on those that go there.  Now, the comments of Atlas being a bunch of Satanists is very offensive. Please remember that we are talking about a company numbering hundreds of employees. Any claim that they are all a bunch of Satanists is fucking crazy. "
    Agreed. Just because someone isn't Christian doesn't mean they can't see the compelling bits in Christian lore, just like gods and stories from long dead religions continue to circulate in the mainstream because they're still compelling, regardless of their factualness. Im more inclined to believe most workers at Atlus are religiously unaffiliated, as are most Japanese. They see a figure like Satan as compelling for the same reason we all find Leprechauns and fairies and ferryman-esc depiction of Death with the skull and scyth compelling. "
    Of course, this doesn't excuse them from being all "creepy pedofiles" though. ;-D
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho

You really have to spin the words in Job to credit Satan for the dirty work. He just inspired the wager. So death count zero. Knowing is half the battle, gang.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:

" You really have to spin the words in Job to credit Satan for the dirty work. He just inspired the wager. So death count zero. Knowing is half the battle, gang. "

Uh no, it's blatantly obvious that his kill count is 10.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By General_D23
    @Tarsier said:
    "To be honest I am surprised at this intolerance. I thought this community was better than that.. >_<  I didn't even mention what religion I followed, or if I even followed one, but you all seem to jump onto the "hate all Christians" bandwagon right away.   Weird stuff. "

I completely agree. Though it is to be expected on the internet, I was vaguely hoping this wouldn't turn ugly. Oh well....
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Tarsier: Meh, I should perhaps. But I do think your thread was sort of "uber christian". This is basically what you were saying in your original post "THIS GAME HAS SATAN AND LUCIFER IN IT!  ANYONE WHO PLAYS IT ARE SATAN WORSHIPERS"
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ryanwho
    @CL60 said:
    " @ryanwho said:

" You really have to spin the words in Job to credit Satan for the dirty work. He just inspired the wager. So death count zero. Knowing is half the battle, gang. "

Uh no, it's blatantly obvious that his kill count is 10. "
    Hey thanks guy who thought it was 1! Good to know you have wikipedia on your side of the internet too. But if you actually read the original, its not entirely clear. Keep it up, though.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:

" @CL60 said:

" @ryanwho said:

Hey thanks guy who thought it was 1! Good to know you have wikipedia on your side of the internet too. But if you actually read the original, its not entirely clear. Keep it up, though. "
    You fail, look anywhere, it's commonly agreed upon that the 10 of those kills is on Gods and Satans hands. How about you fail more. Keep up your pointless arguing here that is just making you look more and more like an ass though. It's hilarious.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @CL60 said:
    " @ryanwho said:

" @CL60 said:

" @ryanwho said:

Hey thanks guy who thought it was 1! Good to know you have wikipedia on your side of the internet too. But if you actually read the original, its not entirely clear. Keep it up, though. "
    You fail, look anywhere, it's commonly agreed upon that the 10 of those kills is on Gods and Satans hands. How about you fail more. Keep up your pointless arguing here that is just making you look more and more like an ass though. It's hilarious. "
    Agreed.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ryanwho

Hey. 
    Chill out. 
    Videogames.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By General_D23
    @CL60 said:
    "@ryanwho said:

" @CL60 said:

" @ryanwho said:

You fail, look anywhere, it's commonly agreed upon that the 10 of those kills is on Gods and Satans hands. How about you fail more. Keep up your pointless arguing here that is just making you look more and more like an ass though. It's hilarious. "
    I usually try not to be confrontational, but really, read back on your posts. Like the he said above me, take a deep breath and let's keep discussing this like adults.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CL60
    @General_D23 said:
    " @CL60 said:
    "@ryanwho said:

" @CL60 said:

" @ryanwho said:

I usually try not to be confrontational, but really, read back on your posts. Like the he said above me, take a deep breath and let's keep discussing this like adults. "
    Are you serious? Look at all of his posts, which he started this argument with...he was acting like a complete jackass.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By General_D23
    @CL60: 
    And who tried to start a flame war? The very FIRST response you made in this thread is obvious flamebait. He was completely within reason to post the respones he made to you.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By ErgoProxy77

It's not disturbing at all, because neither God or Satan exist.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CL60
    @General_D23 said:

" @CL60: And who tried to start a flame war? The very FIRST response you made in this thread is obvious flamebait. He was completely within reason to post the respones he made to you.    "

It's called a joke.(regardless of it being true) Go cry about it to somebody who cares.
    LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83  Edited By LaszloKovacs
    @Tarsier said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Tarsier: Meh, I should perhaps. But I do think your thread was sort of "uber christian". This is basically what you were saying in your original post "THIS GAME HAS SATAN AND LUCIFER IN IT!  ANYONE WHO PLAYS IT ARE SATAN WORSHIPERS" "
    No, I wasn't saying that at all. "
    Would you mind explaining what you were saying? To me it looks like you made a really vague and highly offensive statement involving satanists and pederasts, so...
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60 said:
    " @General_D23 said:

" @CL60: And who tried to start a flame war? The very FIRST response you made in this thread is obvious flamebait. He was completely within reason to post the respones he made to you.    "

It's called a joke.(regardless of it being true) Go cry about it to somebody who cares. "
    Jesus Christ dude, stop being a jackass.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CL60
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @General_D23 said:

It's called a joke.(regardless of it being true) Go cry about it to somebody who cares. "
    Jesus Christ dude, stop being a jackass. "
    No, if somebodys arguing with me over something completely and utterly pointless and being a jackass about it, I'm coming right back at him.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60 said:
    " @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @General_D23 said:

No, if somebodys arguing with me over something completely and utterly pointless and being a jackass about it, I'm coming right back at him. "
    Yes, because being a jackass right back to someone is a great way to prove a point.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Turambar
    @Tarsier said:

Do we have a bunch of creepy pedofile asian Satanists possessing Jeff and Vinny's minds?? "

You know, when you try to paint a game development group as creepy pedophile satanists that somehow has the ability to "possess" others because of the appearance of symbolic religious icons that appear in a game filled with analogous from various religions and myths, I'd think you would expect others to have a much lesser view you...

That said, while people are discussing religion on a more civil level, I'd like to for some thoughts on another issue.  Specifically, the idea that Satan/Lucifer/whoever "reigns in hell".  It's been quite awhile since I read the bible, but I do remember hell being a place of eternal punishment, not just for men who are not fit to enter heaven, but Lucifer and his fallen angels as well.  In that sense, wouldn't it be a more accurate view that hell is but another part of God's domain, and if Lucifer has a plane of existence where he is a ruler, it'd be Earth?
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#88  Edited By nexas
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By CL60
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @General_D23 said:

No, if somebodys arguing with me over something completely and utterly pointless and being a jackass about it, I'm coming right back at him. "
    Yes, because being a jackass right back to someone is a great way to prove a point. "
    Wow...I'm done talking to everybody in this topic, you are all a bunch of tight asses, make one joke and everybody jumps down your throat and when you try to defend yourself people call you a jackass. 

Simple as this. Fuck you and I'm done talking to you.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60: Haha, see ya. My work here is done.

@Tarsier: Aint it just...
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By CL60
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60: Haha, see ya. My work here is done.

@Tarsier: Aint it just... "
    Your work is done? Good job admitting to being a troll.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60: Hey, I thought I just got rid of one :)
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By General_D23
    @Nexas said:
    "Also the ultimate persona in P3 is Messiah, who is pretty much Christ based on his description. 

"

That is a good point, I had forgotten about that. If I remember correctly, wasn't the evolution of the main characters persona Orpheus to Thanatos to Messiah? I lot of people advocate that the MC's true persona was Orpheus Telos, but I think the that it's widely accepted to be Messiah, it appearing in the credits and all.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CL60
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @CL60: Hey, I thought I just got rid of one :) "
    You called me a jackass earlier? Ahhh, the irony.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60: Yeah, I see it, good one. Now were you leaving or what?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CL60

@Muttinus_Rump

said:

" @CL60: Yeah, I see it, good one. Now were you leaving or what? "

Just keeps getting better ...
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @CL60 said:
    "

@Muttinus_Rump said:

" @CL60: Yeah, I see it, good one. Now were you leaving or what? "

HAHA, just keeps getting better ... "
    I guess not.
    LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Will somebody please lock this GLARINGLY OBVIOUS troll thread?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By CL60

Seriously though. The irony is hilarious.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I shall leave you be then. You sure got me...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.