Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Lucifer, Satan, wtF?

• 119 results
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

Satan gets a bad rap.  He's never killed anyone or broken the law, so wha'ts everyone's problem with him anyway.  Jeez.

Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shiftshaper
    @Tarsier:  I dont really see how you make that connection. Lucifer & Satan part of the Judgement arcana=Pedophile asian satanists? WTF?
    Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Monkeyman04

Maybe because they are judged all the time that the devs deciced to put them in the Judgment  arcana. I don't really know, but calling them pedophile asain satanists is a bit far IMO.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By yagami
    @Tarsier said:

" Does anyone else find that Lucifer and Satan are in this game with the titles "Seeker of Truth" and "Judge" a little bit disturbing?  Do we have a bunch of creepy pedofile asian Satanists possessing Jeff and Vinny's minds?? "

I don't find it disturbing at all. This is a video-game, why someone would find it offensive, I can't understand. To poke fun at religion is good since it mostly is a fucking bad thing. I wouldn't mind if YHVH (Yahveh) was in it again and was the last boss, again.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By rallier

Satan and Saint Michael (also in the game) are both the gate keepers of their respective realms thus deciding who enters which so Its only logical that they are part of the Judgement arcana. Regarding Satan being the persona you are rewarded after finishing the Seekers of Truth path (judgement arcana) only makes sense since power wise and by "reputation" Satan has always been at the top.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Hamst3r

What I find hilarious is that Lucifer, Beelzebub and Satan are separate Personas though they're synonyms for the devil. They're all the same thing.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier
    @Hamst3r said:

" What I find hilarious is that Lucifer, Beelzebub and Satan are separate Personas though they're synonyms for the devil. They're all the same thing. "

There one more form actually, Helel/Lucifel the ultimate persona of the Star arcana.

I guess all the different personae stand for every part of his story: Lucifel/Helel for when he was still amongst the angels (ultimate Star arcana), Lucifer when he defies god (lesser judgement persona) and Satan once he reigns hell (ulimate judgement persona). I was always under the impression that Beelzebud was Lucifers partner.
    MaSteRMaSteR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MaSteRMaSteR

Persona 4 is evil, do not play this game if you are religious, it is poison.

ESPECIALLY THE TEEN RELATIONSHIPS, however Mr.  Morooka is an excellent example of good character.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nexas

God is the final boss in Shin Megami Tensei II.

Iceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Iceland

Makes about as much sense as Thor, Loki, Nidhoggr (another word for Miðgarðsormur, the snakelike creature that lies in the oceans of the world)

The game references a number of religions, neither in a good or a bad way.

FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatalError

Yeah the SMT series has always referenced different religions.

Some of the games even tie religion to the plot.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By s-a-n-JR

There's Shiva too, one of the God's of Hinduism.
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By mattysen

Oh dear. We have a Christian on are hands... 

@Hamst3r

said:

" What I find hilarious is that Lucifer, Beelzebub and Satan are separate Personas though they're synonyms for the devil. They're all the same thing. "

There's Helel also who is a synonym for the devil. They've all got vastly different appearances for some reason aswell, why does Lucifer look like a creepy business man? 

P.S I also think you should have changed the title to lucifer? satan? FTW 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Fallen189

Yeah, the developers added this JUST for Jeff and Vinny.

Give me a break

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By droop

Yeah, in the Japanese version they're actually called Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust

According to Christian dogma, Lucifer is a fallen angel who led a rebellion against God before the existence of man.  For his pride, he was cast down from heaven and now reigns in hell.  Beelzebub is "the lord of lies" and is considered a ruler of one of the planes of hell.  Finally, Satan is called the great adversary and his actually "evilness" is questionable since his purpose is to challenge, sometimes through temptation, God in all His forms.  He is "red" to God's "blue".   Anyway, I don't find any of the portrayals of the icons blasphemous so I don't think there is a problem with them being in the game or holding the positions among the arcana that they do.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By eirikr
    @Hamst3r said:
    Not really. They only seem similar because their traditional roles were so ill-defined and closely related. Beelzebub for one is a corruption of a god named Baal Zebul, who is also in P4. 

Also, much of how Megaten's demon hierarchy works (and really, how Christianity views its angels/demons in general today) is inspired from John Milton's Paradise Lost, where Beelzebub was a top general for Satan/Lucifer.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Nexas said:
    " God is the final boss in Shin Megami Tensei II. "
    wat
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eirikr
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " wat "
    YHVH.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#21  Edited By JackiJinx
    @Eirikr: Dude, that shit's messed up! Wow. I can't stop laughing about it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

It does seem lazy of them, considering how many gods they don't have in the same to include various iterations on the same being just because it happens to have a bunch of names. Its not like with God, with God you have 5 motheistic religions that were once the same religion branching off into other things, so God, Allah, Yahweh(or YHVH), Jah, and Jehova are the same being but under varying interpretations. Satan is pretty exclusive to Christianity (and post Christian branches like Rastafari and Mormonism) and he doesn't really have many faces, comparitively.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Eirikr: Wow.  That would never happen in this day and age...  >_>
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Eirikr: I'm only talking about how it's laid out in the bible, where in Satan, The Devil, Lucifer and Beelzebub are names for the same thing. At least, that's what I remember from all those years ago when I was forced to read it every year as a kid. :)

Here's a reference of the various names for Satan that seems to only use the bible as reference:  http://www.markbeast.com/satan/names-of-satan.htm

If the game's designers have changed that all up and made them different things that's cool with me, I don't really care, I still find it silly. :P
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eirikr
    @JackiJinx: Well, if you read the Old Testament any, considering how YHVH acts there it's really not much of a stretch.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eirikr
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @Eirikr: I'm only talking about how it's laid out in the bible, where in Satan, The Devil, Lucifer and Beelzebub are names for the same thing. At least, that's what I remember from all those years ago when I was forced to read it every year as a kid. :)

Here's a reference of the various names for Satan that seems to only use the bible as reference:  http://www.markbeast.com/satan/names-of-satan.htm   If the game's designers have changed that all up and made them different things that's cool with me, I don't really care, I still find it silly. :P "
    There's a lot more to theology than just what's in the various religious texts! For example, the seven deadly sins are nowhere in the Bible. And you'll hear people quoting them like scripture. The conceptualization of religion moves with the ebb and flow of its believers.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#27  Edited By JackiJinx
    @Eirikr: Man, I was brought up as an atheist, but yes, I have read some of the Old Testament. You're right. He is rather cold and unforgiven in that.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Jayzilla

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me." Is that in Persona?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

One of my favourite lines of the recent Endurance Run episodes is "We'll come back for you Satan".

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Jayzilla said:
    " Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me." Is that in Persona? "
    It's not said in Persona 4.  Although it could very well be possibly said in some other SMT game.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By eirikr
    @Jayzilla said:
    " Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me." Is that in Persona? "
    Jesus is not in any Shin Megami Tensei game. I highly doubt he would be, either. I've suggested though one way would be to use one of his "forms," such as Agnus Dei.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422
    @Tarsier said:
    " Does anyone else find that Lucifer and Satan are in this game with the titles "Seeker of Truth" and "Judge" a little bit disturbing?  Do we have a bunch of creepy pedofile asian Satanists possessing Jeff and Vinny's minds?? "
    This is a video game series...also, in the main SMT games, they arent just carbon copying Satan or Lucifer into the game, their entire story is done by Atlus for their games. Its not "OH COOL LOOK SATAN AND LUCIFER, IM A SATANIST LOLZ", its nothing like that. In their fiction, God has generally been the antagonist and Lucifer and Satan are two different entities entirely with not even close to similar goals.

There isnt anything disturbing about it, and if you think so you need to open your mind a bit more honestly, and not think so seriously about what is summed up truthfully as "Atlus's own mythology" for their games. As far as him being a persona though, it literally has no say on anything..hes just there, he has no part in the story at all. Satan has always been the Judgement.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

An obscure word mixed with a strange interpretation, and Jesus and pals could be in the game without people even realizing it. If they had a persona that was a bearded glowing man with giant tablet stones where his hands should be and named it  Zanoah, Toviah or Jered, how many people would recognize its Moses? Even if it had plague like attacks most people couldn't put it all together.

basal1sk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By basal1sk

yeah shin megami tensei has always been pretty diverse when it comes to there religous inspirations from jack frost (english folktale) to ganesha (hindu deitie)
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By alexl86

Well, would another arcana really be appropriate? He is not a demon, he's an angel. He resides in a place where punishment on sinners is administrated. Judgment makes more sense than most. It makes sense in the context of the game at least, though he probably would've made a decent fool too.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Undeadpool

Hebrew apocrypha has them all as different fallen angels representing different negative aspects of humanity. They only became synonyms when Christianity decided to hijack them and fuse them into one entity.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By ez123

Unicorn and Cerebus have the same title, too. Fucken blasphemy.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By alexl86
    @Undeadpool said:
    " Hebrew apocrypha has them all as different fallen angels representing different negative aspects of humanity. They only became synonyms when Christianity decided to hijack them and fuse them into one entity. "
    Except that the Hebrew Apocrypha is generally rejected by both Jews and Christians. The name Apocrypha is Greek for hidden and none of those texts are considered cannon. Since Christianity started as Jewish sects, they do have a lot in common when it comes to creation myths.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Undeadpool

@alexl86 said:

" @Undeadpool said:
    " Hebrew apocrypha has them all as different fallen angels representing different negative aspects of humanity. They only became synonyms when Christianity decided to hijack them and fuse them into one entity. "
    Except that the Hebrew Apocrypha is generally rejected by both Jews and Christians. The name Apocrypha is Greek for hidden and none of those texts are considered cannon. Since Christianity started as Jewish sects, they do have a lot in common when it comes to creation myths. "

True, but I'm just citing the source of where the beings originate as some people seem to be very confused by the fact that the game treats them as separate entities.

Also: it's a Japanese game. The beings aren't sacred to them, they're just figures of another culture's mythology, like Shinto gods are to most Western viewers.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By eirikr
    @alexl86 said:
    "Except that the Hebrew Apocrypha is generally rejected by both Jews and Christians. The name Apocrypha is Greek for hidden and none of those texts are considered cannon. Since Christianity started as Jewish sects, they do have a lot in common when it comes to creation myths. "
    You are correct, but to that general idea I say: So? 

Many of the ideas in the Apocrypha come from sources no less credible than the canon text. It was just a matter of face, really. In Christianity for example, you couldn't have had a book that portrayed Jesus as anything less than divine. Canon was ultimately decided by man, not God, for political reasons. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

What's wrong with Satan? He killed what? 1 person in the bible? While God killed too many to count?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Tarsier said:
    You're pathetic.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho
    @CL60 said:
    " What's wrong with Satan? He killed what? 1 person in the bible? While God killed too many to count? "
    You are uninformed. When  on the subject of things you know little to nothing about, saying nothing is usually the best option.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AuthenticM
    @CL60 said:
    " What's wrong with Satan? He killed what? 1 person in the bible? While God killed too many to count? "
    /thread
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:
    " @CL60 said:
    You are uninformed. When  on the subject of things you know little to nothing about, saying nothing is usually the best option. "
    Uhh..it's the truth.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60

No Caption Provided
    Gods kill count - 2,301,417
    Satans kill count - 10
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar

Well, it can be argued that Original Sin is largely Satan's fault, making him indirectly responsible for the death of every human ever.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aeterna

@OP: Go back to your church or something dude, you're clearly not ready to be out in the open among free minded people.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By eirikr
    @Turambar said:
    " Well, it can be argued that Original Sin is largely Satan's fault, making him indirectly responsible for the death of every human ever. "
    Then why did God create the tree of knowledge knowing Adam and Eve would be easily tempted? You'd think he'd be trying to prevent that, which would be easily done by NOT creating a tree that would curse humanity if eaten from.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Turambar
    @Eirikr: Because God has a sick sense of humor?  Don't know or care really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.