New Star Trek Game Coming in 2012, Features Hot Kirk-on-Spock Cooperation

• 57 results
Posted by Alex (1824 posts) -

It's been two years since J.J. Abrams defied the enraged masses of Trekkies, Trekkers, and whatever else they're calling themselves these days and rebooted Star Trek... hard. Gene Roddenberry's original creation was one of those things that, sure, was open to plenty of time line fudging, but how could you possibly mess with the sanctity of the original Enterprise crew? Well, be glad he did, since Star Trek turned out to be the most exciting thing the franchise has produced in many, many years. Two years later, and I still pop it in once in a while just to soak in the sweet, light-bloomy goodness. I still cry at that opening scene, too. Don't judge me, dammit.

You may now begin deconstructing every single piece of this screenshot and angrily decrying why none of it can possibly be canon.

Anyhoo, all of this rambling is supposed to lead up to me telling you about the newly announced Star Trek game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC, which comes courtesy of Paramount Digital Entertainment and developer Digital Extremes. You see, all the press release managed to offer in terms of useful, printable information was the promise of "a stand alone story filled with action-packed combat" and co-op gameplay with players taking on the role of Kirk and Spock. Basically, I needed some filler. Hence the diatribe.

The stand-alone story will be penned by veteran game writer Marianne Krawczyk, who is previously credited with script work on all of the entries in the God of War series. Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the writer/producers of the new Abrams-universe Trek entries, are supervising on the story.

As for the promised co-op, the single, solitary screenshot PR provided us would seem to back-up the previously alluded-to "action," as well as, yes, both Kirk and Spock on screen at once. Also, Spock is totally holding a double phaser. What's that about?

Paramount will have Star Trek (working title) on display at E3, so we'll hopefully discover a bit more about this new title then. In the meantime, here's a little something to get you in the Kirk/Spock cooperatin' mood, if you catch my drift.

== TEASER ==

Sex.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1824 posts) -

It's been two years since J.J. Abrams defied the enraged masses of Trekkies, Trekkers, and whatever else they're calling themselves these days and rebooted Star Trek... hard. Gene Roddenberry's original creation was one of those things that, sure, was open to plenty of time line fudging, but how could you possibly mess with the sanctity of the original Enterprise crew? Well, be glad he did, since Star Trek turned out to be the most exciting thing the franchise has produced in many, many years. Two years later, and I still pop it in once in a while just to soak in the sweet, light-bloomy goodness. I still cry at that opening scene, too. Don't judge me, dammit.

You may now begin deconstructing every single piece of this screenshot and angrily decrying why none of it can possibly be canon.

Anyhoo, all of this rambling is supposed to lead up to me telling you about the newly announced Star Trek game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC, which comes courtesy of Paramount Digital Entertainment and developer Digital Extremes. You see, all the press release managed to offer in terms of useful, printable information was the promise of "a stand alone story filled with action-packed combat" and co-op gameplay with players taking on the role of Kirk and Spock. Basically, I needed some filler. Hence the diatribe.

The stand-alone story will be penned by veteran game writer Marianne Krawczyk, who is previously credited with script work on all of the entries in the God of War series. Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the writer/producers of the new Abrams-universe Trek entries, are supervising on the story.

As for the promised co-op, the single, solitary screenshot PR provided us would seem to back-up the previously alluded-to "action," as well as, yes, both Kirk and Spock on screen at once. Also, Spock is totally holding a double phaser. What's that about?

Paramount will have Star Trek (working title) on display at E3, so we'll hopefully discover a bit more about this new title then. In the meantime, here's a little something to get you in the Kirk/Spock cooperatin' mood, if you catch my drift.

== TEASER ==

Sex.

Staff
#2 Posted by Crono11 (1626 posts) -

Holy mother of god YES

#3 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

Will do, Alex. Those Halo plasma rifles can't possibly be Star Trek canon!

#4 Posted by boylie (305 posts) -

Switch to broton torpedos and fire, long into the night

#5 Edited by Jumanji (447 posts) -

That was a great video. A+++ would watch again.

#6 Posted by sofakingcool (353 posts) -

WOW!

#7 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

Uh oh, Alex has been reading Kirk and Spock slash fiction again...

#8 Posted by zitosilva (1837 posts) -

Sex.

#9 Posted by BALE (8 posts) -

Hot coffee time!!!!

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -

No thanks. No interest in anything to do with the POS movie.

#11 Posted by Castiel (2418 posts) -

I just jizzed on ma ceiling!

#12 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

Hard not to cry at that beginning, although it's hard not to feel a bit manipulated. What the hell was she doing on a military ship again?

My favorite Star Trek games were those old adventure games, where the outcomes were pretty varied and optimal solutions were hard to get. Kept losing a red shirt to an avalanche, and I loved it.

#13 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

I'm kind of excited, and then again not at all. Would have been more interested in diplomacy and dialogue options. Mass Effect in Star Trek disguise. Yup. I would totally play that.

#14 Posted by Ceno (109 posts) -

Oh god finally a new Star Trek game.

#15 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

Is that sex I could smell?... I will forever not see the original Star Trek the same way again.

#16 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

If aliens ever come to Earth, how can we possibly explain YouTube to them.

#17 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1169 posts) -

Are you a Vul-can or a Vul-cant? 

#18 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

@hagridore: I'm sure they'll have something like YouTube where they're from.

#19 Posted by FoxMulder (1568 posts) -

So Mass Effect with Star Trek???????  I'd rather have Firefly :P

#20 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Not the best Trek series to make a game about, but ok.  Just make sure I get to roam around the ship and explore space, land on planets, etc.
#21 Posted by Zippedbinders (980 posts) -

If they can somehow incorporate Spock's ability to talk their way out of most fights, or Kirk's ability to screw his way out of (into) them, then I'm sold. Lens flare and all.

#22 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

Why does Spock have a Halo Plasma Rifle?

#23 Posted by fisk0 (3273 posts) -

Would have preferred it if they had Raven do the new game, as they have a fantastic track record with license games in general, and Star Trek in particular.

But hey, at least Digital Extremes aren't Bethesda.

#24 Posted by MisfitToy (124 posts) -

So Marianne Krawczyk did the God of War scripts. I take it that means there will be lots of lines in ALL CAPS, giving Spock and Kirk opportunities to yell their thoughts.

#25 Posted by Wandrecanada (387 posts) -

#26 Posted by ninjalegend (408 posts) -

Great, Spock is working with the covenant.

#27 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

I would kill for an original series game with a playable Shatner and Nimoy.

The icing on the cake would be if they could somehow recreate the terribleness of the special effects - now that would make for something special.

#28 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

It can't be worse than Star Trek Online.

Especially the ground combat.

#29 Posted by lokey013 (109 posts) -

Wow never saw the Star Trek series in that light before....kinda hot lol
#30 Posted by ProjektGill (752 posts) -

Between this and the Wire video in the EA article, Alex has made my day.

#31 Posted by pot (68 posts) -

Hopefully its good.
#32 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Oh, good, because we don't have enough Star Trek, Star Wars, and Aliens games already.

#33 Posted by Ockman (182 posts) -

Lmao, I love how it's conveyed that Spock just becomes an enraged horny animal that rapes Kirk in that video you posted.

#34 Posted by Spiritof (1987 posts) -

Was that YouTube video edited by George Takei?

#36 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -

Im interested, Star trek Online's ground action sections where quite fun (just a shame every thing else in the game sucked!) so an offline game with that and decent story plus online co-op could be quite fun.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I'm a Star Trek fan but I've never played a Star Trek game. Hopefully this will be worth playing.

#38 Posted by DHunter329 (85 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

Uh oh, Alex has been reading Kirk and Spock slash fiction again...

No, I think he's been writing some.

Just kidding Alex.

#39 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Oroboros comes full circle I guess, since ME lifted so much shit from Star Trek its only fair that Star Trek return the favor.

#40 Posted by Jedted (2258 posts) -
@Branthog said:

Oh, good, because we don't have good enough Star Trek, Star Wars, and Aliens games already.

Fixxed

I know mostly all Star Trek games have been crap(with the exception of Elite Force) but doesn't mean this is an automatic failure.  Lets not write it off untill we've actually seen the game. 
#41 Posted by blacklab (1475 posts) -

I've never seen that video, and it's totally awesome.

#42 Posted by Seanakin66 (153 posts) -

The opening scene is utter magnificence and I, too, have no qualms with admitting it leaves me in tears.  Still need to cross-reference the given Stardate with the one on that tombstone in the TOS pilot, though.

#43 Posted by oroboros (39 posts) -
#44 Posted by JackSukeru (5816 posts) -

I see shooting thingies and I see walls being used as cover.

This can only be great.

#45 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

I let out a few tears when I saw Star trek at the cinemas, still cuts me up these days a bit too when I get the urge to watch it again.

#46 Posted by Delta_Ass (3230 posts) -

Where did Spock get a Covenant plasma rifle?

#47 Posted by kagato (862 posts) -

Is it just me that wishes they would give the license to Bioware? Mass Effect is pretty much Star Trek with sex, its not that much of a stretch and i reckon they could do the series (or movies) justice!

#48 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

well this could be kind of cool I guess.

#49 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

Will do, Alex. Those Halo plasma rifles can't possibly be Star Trek canon!

Literally the first thing I thought of also :|

#50 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2342 posts) -

No more youtubing for Alex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.