Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek

Franchise »

The popularity of the Star Trek television and film franchise has led to numerous games. The quality of the games have usually left a lot to be desired despite a large mod scene and community of loyal fans.

Star Trek Video Review

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Edited By snide

SPOILERS 5 MINUTES IN!!!!

Dunno what happened to the aspect ratio, but here's Tony (from comicvine) and I discussing the star trek movie.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By snide

SPOILERS 5 MINUTES IN!!!!

Dunno what happened to the aspect ratio, but here's Tony (from comicvine) and I discussing the star trek movie.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

GMan Rockin' the Puma Shirt.

This'll make me feel bad for not going tonight...

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Lashe

Awesome. I'm hoping it's as good as I have heard! JJ Abrams has yet to let me down.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

i should pay more attention to the other sites.... and Snide (Dave) is everywhere, sometimes videogames, sometimes movies, mostly website building. Good review!

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By snide

I am self bumping myself on my own site! Feel free to knock me down mods!

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Guardian

Good review! The camera man slurping on his coffee or whatever, very annoying. 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By c1337us

Dude I havent seen this movie yet, Fuck! That made me laugh hard. Awesome review though and I agree I am apart of the "I like Star Trek but I am not hardcore crowd" and I liked it a lot.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TomA

I saw the movie tonight with my friends, it was fucking epic. It really made me proud to be a nerd. Geek culture is awesome because we can all get along and prosper, which is something the rest of humanity strives to do but fails. Karl Urban is the best actor ever and if i was gay i'd be all like Karl i love you!!!!!!! Nerd culture is awesome!!!!!!!

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TomA

also i don't want to listen to two people bitching about their problems with the best movie in years.

Deevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deevo

From someone who was never that in to Star Trek at all, this movie was absolutely amazing. I went to the first showing of the day and could not stop thinking about it for the rest of the day. I think I may even go see it again this weekend, and I rarely go see a movie twice.

Also I think you were right about Kumar being briefly in this movie. I noticed him, or someone who looks exactly like him, off to the side in a bridge scene or something like that.
    breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By breton

Contains Spoilers:

I just got back about a couple of hours ago from seeing it(so yeah, this is my first internet posting about it). I'm a TNG fan, I enjoy TOS, and hate everything else. I actually went into it expecting to hate it(and I did throughout the beginning), but came out pretty damn satisfied. The 'alternate universe' ploy felt kind of cheesy, and was really the only thing I discussed afterwards - but agreed with my friends that it had to be done if they were going to use these characters.

But in the video you shrugged off Tony's complaint about the lens flare. No way man - it bothered me too. After the movie was over I guess it didn't really stick(as I said, we only discussed the alternate reality) but after Tony mentioned it I remembered how annoying it was because it's as if they were trying to convey the idea that someone was sitting in the bridge holding a video camera or something and they just seemed out of place and not constructive to the movie at all. And no, I didn't read anything about the lens flare prior to the movie. In fact, I was pretty distant from the production - I saw some images every once in a while and I think the only trailer I saw was the original teaser.

In any other discussions I have about the movie, I'll doubtfully bring up the lense flare as a complaint. They bothered me at the times that I saw them on screen, but even now after remembering them, it still doesn't hit me that hard to want to use it as a complaint of the whole movie - maybe when I watch it a second time(on DVD) I'll feel stronger about it.

So uhh.. there's my thoughts.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Jedted

I haven't seen it yet but this review sold me on it, maybe i'll see it this weekened.  As a hardcore Trek fan i was a bit leary about this reboot but the main reason was i wanted to see a brand new cast and a new ship(since i see "Star Trek" as more than just Kirk, Spock and McCoy).

I like seeing alternate universes of established franchises so i'm not too pissed about the retcon stuff.  I agree with Dave though that i'd like to see a series come out of this since that's where Star Trek is really at it's best!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'll watch it after I've seen the movie, I don't want it to get spoiled. I'm sure it's a totally awesome video though Dave.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fallen189

That hat is so sweet.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

this movie is fucking incredible go to see it now people

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60

I'll probably go see it when it dies down in the theaters, I hate going when it's packed, too many douchebags.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman

I saw it last night. Keep in mind, I have never seen any of the tons of the Star Trek movies and have not seen many of the episodes of the original Star Trek or the Next Generation. However, I do know a bit about the story of Star Trek. Nonetheless, the movie completely blew me. It met every single expectation I had and then some. The casting was really the part that was incredible. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are perfect Kirk and Spock. Leonard Nimoy was a great addition too. Though were favorites were John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. Bottom line, I loved it. Everyone go see it if you're a Star Trek fan or not.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

loading super slow for me though, i get up to the part in the beginning where you holler (like will ferrel) WE'LL GIVE WARNING, lmao. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper

Cheers Snide. I absorb all original video content on this site.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bjorno

FATAL FURY HAT

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Hamz

Saw the film today. Can't say I was ever much of a Star Trek fan but I do remember watching a lot of the old Kirk episodes. And I have to say this film was great. It was a really nice and refreshing revamp of an established cast of characters and lore but in a genuinely unique way.

As a Sci-Fi themed film I have to say it was bloody good. A lot of great scenes and the intro to the film alone was awesome and emotional at the same time. Would definately see this again and watching this video review pretty much emphasises how I felt after seeing it.

Poor Coonce though, getting hit with the spoilers :P

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

Star Trek can suck it!  =  P  BOOYAKA!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

Dave looks like a long haul truck driver who turns out to be a serial killer.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turbomonkey138

I thought the movie was good .... hes right about the lense glare mind .

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond

The lens flare in trailers really reminds me of Mass Effect.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24

Great review guys. I loved the movie.....a lot. I have little to no flaws about it, seriously. I did notice the lens flare stuff and that did get annoying, but I overlooked it all in the end.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Man now i really want to go see it.... Yeah laugh it up i am a Star Trek fan girl.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By End_Boss

For all those concerned, "Kumar" was in fact in the movie. He made a minor, line-less, one-scene appearance and you could really only see him if you were looking, but make no mistake, it was him.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24
    End_Boss said:
    "For all those concerned, "Kumar" was in fact in the movie. He made a minor, line-less, one-scene appearance and you could really only see him if you were looking, but make no mistake, it was him."
    I really think the same, but I am unsure. I thought I would have at least heard something about his appearance, but I really, really thought that was him. He wasn't entirely in focus but you could just tell. Harold and Kumar, how funny.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JoelTGM

nice going

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "nice going"
    ?

Tarsier said:
    "the lens flares were awesome."
    i like the look of it too. he obviously has taken a note from spielberg who used it a lot in war of the worlds. his movies, ever since saving private ryan, have steadily gotten more and more glarey, like in minority report. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoOneFive

First off, I thought this movie was totally fucking awesome, and it will be very hard for any movie the rest of the summer to be nearly as entertaining. 

Also, the lens flare rant, wow, i never really noticed it, and of course it never became any where near as annoying enough for me to even complain at all about it. And I left the movie totally excited. 
    I didn't like the fact that the old score was only in the end, but the new score was decent. 

people who complain about the lens flares, just wanted to find something to complain about. I mean, this guy looked an article that said something bad about the movie before he saw it so he could focus on it so he could have something to complain about. it definitely WASNT every single scene either. 
    Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Moeez

I agree with Roger Ebert, it's an action movie (not a particularly good or memorable one) involving Star Trek characters, but yeah GODDAMN LENS FLARES IN MY EYES EVERY 5 SECONDS! It gave me a headache, and wasn't just a minor thing, it was very distracting to the point of being a negative. 

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Moeez
    TwoOneFive said:
    "First off, I thought this movie was totally fucking awesome, and it will be very hard for any movie the rest of the summer to be nearly as entertaining. 

Also, the lens flare rant, wow, i never really noticed it, and of course it never became any where near as annoying enough for me to even complain at all about it. And I left the movie totally excited. 
    I didn't like the fact that the old score was only in the end, but the new score was decent. 

people who complain about the lens flares, just wanted to find something to complain about. I mean, this guy looked an article that said something bad about the movie before he saw it so he could focus on it so he could have something to complain about. it definitely WASNT every single scene either. 
    "
    No dude, LENS FLARES ruined the movie for me, and I was flabbergasted when I realised the entire movie was going to be like that. It was ridiculous, and it's not something I would nitpick about in other movies, but in this film, it's a definite bad point. Literally, watch it again, EVERY 5 SECONDS!
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Good one snide

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NathHaw
    Spoilers

I'd like to point out that some of the coincidences weren't coincidences.  For instance, finding Spock in the cave/outpost wasn't that big of a stretch, because Kirk was sent in the pod down there on purpose to land right near the outpost where Spock was stationed.  It wasn't just a cave in the middle of nowhere.  Young Spock sent him there knowing that he would be close enough to the base to find his way.  Young Spock wouldn't have just sent him to a barren ice planet for no reason.
    freaksngeeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By freaksngeeks

It was a star wars remake, and it was awesome. who didnt love the scene when the enterprise shows up and just starts kicking ayz, firing photons like a tie fighter on meth.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#39  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The fate stuff has precedence, but only if the people already knew about what was going to happen in the timeline.  There was actually a break with canon in the sense that the old trek had timeline-style time travel, where people get wiped out when changes happen.  This one went with the alternate reality stuff, which is usually what they used for parallel worlds, not time-travel.  The thing is, the fate stuff only works if there's a timeline.  Secret Ice Cave Character didn't know that things would turn out the same way because the timeline was altered (to use old trek logic).  It means that there's either some weird new force at work that's directing their meeting up, or, you know, it's a weak device used to assemble the crew we expect to come together.  They're fated to get together because the audience expects them to.  Meta :)

This sort of existential time travel they use in the new movie is much more satisfying to me than timeline stuff (which they often used to wrap up episodes neatly), and I'm no canon junkie even though I finally have to admit to myself that I'm a bigger Star Trek fan than regular geeks.  But it diverges from canon, pretty much.  If I cared, that would bother me, I think :)

Kaddion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kaddion

I'm surprised you didn't mention the nod to Enterprise with Scotty being stationed on Delta Vega because he more-or-less killed Admiral Archer's prized beagle.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Oh man.. That Final Fury hat

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.