Star Wars 1313 Looks Real, Real Good

#101 Posted by StingingVelvet (574 posts) -

I bet this launched on all six platforms... high-end version for PC, Xbox 3 and PS4, lower end version for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. I think this can be done on current consoles, it will just lose a LOT of effects and detail.

#102 Posted by ansys (62 posts) -
#103 Posted by Jimbo (9986 posts) -
@Peanut

God damn it, you fucking people. Are none of you excited to see SOME glimpse of what the potential next-gen looks like? Does it not entice you in any way shape or form? Do you need to shit on this because it's Star Wars or "third-person covered based shooter boo hoo!" or is it just impossible to make some of you even remotely enthused about something?

Also, stop making definitive fucking statements based on videos you've seen online. You have no first-hand experience, so your statements are even more useless than they'd normally be.

If this is what it's gonna be used for, I kinda don't care how it looks. It does look great, but you know what else looks great? Movies. I enjoy great graphics in great games, but if the game seems boring / barely interactive then I don't care how it looks. Holding Up while my character slowly climbs up something isn't my idea of gaming, no matter how pretty the background is.

And this only gives us a glimpse of next gen if the NG consoles are as powerful as the most powerful current PCs, and if they can keep up those kind of production values over the course of a whole game without it being prohibitively expensive, both of which remain to be seen.
#104 Posted by YukoAsho (2124 posts) -

Am I the only person who thinks that this is bullshit smoke & mirrors like the debut videos for Madden 06 and Call of Duty 2 when the Xbox was showing up?

And really, I don't see why this necessitates the move to another hardware gen. The differences are very minute, and probably won't be noticeable in the heat of battle. Sorry, but the next generation better be more than slightly higher texture quality. No one wants to pay $400+ for an incremental upgrade.

#105 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

Wow, these boards are full of cynical assholes, aren't they? "Yeah, I don't like it, I think it sucks cause bro, I've seen this before, know what I'm sayin'?"

I think the time has come for you people to get out of the basement and head into the world. You're obviously done with gaming.

#106 Posted by YukoAsho (2124 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

You know what looked great also: Time Traveler for the arcade. The game controlled like shit, but it looked great.

Don't forget the Laserdisc arcade games. Dragon's Lair, Time Gal, Space Ace, et al.

#107 Posted by RyanD (93 posts) -

@TheSpoonyBard said:

Climbing around a large object as bits and pieces of it fall off. Shooting people inside a falling object while cover shifts around... I've seen this before :p

Yeah but Uncharted is pretty awesome so unless being based on star wars ruins that, I'm pretty excited

#108 Posted by CaptRocketblaze (175 posts) -

Finally I get my Star Wars bounty hunter game. Now if somebody would kindly make a game where the lightsaber is king & the world crumbles like that of Red Faction: Guerrilla I'll be all set.

#109 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Anund said:

Wow, these boards are full of cynical assholes, aren't they? "Yeah, I don't like it, I think it sucks cause bro, I've seen this before, know what I'm sayin'?"

I think the time has come for you people to get out of the basement and head into the world. You're obviously done with gaming.

i have to agree.

i really wonder what would actually take to make these people say 'wow' or get a little excited.

#110 Posted by Superfriend (1585 posts) -

Don´t get me wrong, this looks amazing- but Lucas Arts kinda has a track record of showing amazing tech and then never delivering on it. Remember that Indy demo, where chairs and stuff would break all physics driven? That game never came out. Force Unleashed was also part of those demos. Yeah, that one came out, but it wasn´t a very good game (I always imagined it being more like Jedi Knight)..

I also hate how Lucas seems to lay everybody off after a game is done. That way you can never build a solid team that can deliver a quality experience.

#111 Posted by Eyz (449 posts) -

This does really look amazing!

Kinda what Force Unleashed should have been!

#112 Posted by Korolev (1725 posts) -

This is the first star wars game that I actually have some interest in. Depending on the campaign length, I might buy it.

#113 Posted by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -

I'm a bit surprised this is getting as much buzz as it is, sure, it looks really pretty - but isn't it effectively Uncharted?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for it, and I'm probably going to get it... and maybe this is because I feel extremely betrayed by the Star Wars brand, but I can't get that excited for a game that is "just" pretty/realistic graphics.

Also, the bits in the above trailer past the 02:00 mark really bothers me. It's a crashing ship, and he's clearly struggling with cross-winds at one part, yet somehow he can jump do Uncharted-style climbing/jumping without getting blown away?

Man, that comes across as really negative - sorry about that, but... it's a Star Wars game. I've been hurt so many times. :(

At least there are no force users... yet.

#114 Posted by Gildermershina (308 posts) -

I wonder if this bears any relation to the Star Wars live action TV show they've been talking about for near enough a decade. That was also supposed to be between trilogies, and feature a bounty hunter.

#115 Posted by Brad (3334 posts) -

@Tanstaafl said:

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

No you haven't.

#116 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I NEED 720 NOW!!!!!!!!!!

#117 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

Glad I bought a new PC :) This looks amazing!

#118 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Tanstaafl said:

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

can you post some screens of your PC that look as good as this, i'd love to see them

#119 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

So...what's the amazing part? This is a prettier Uncharted.

Watch Dogs man. Now that was impressive.

Online
#120 Posted by Batmeng (200 posts) -

It looks good, but I'm hoping for a bigger jump with the next consoles. This looks like a game that just benefits from more effects due to a high-end PC, but nothing really mind blowing.

#121 Posted by Phoenix87 (486 posts) -

I agree Brad. This E3 sucked ass.

#122 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -

@Tanstaafl said:

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

Name one of those games.

#123 Posted by BigBobOmb (19 posts) -

Very impressive, makes me want to upgrade my PC already even though I recently built it.

#124 Posted by KillerPidgeon (64 posts) -

...and then Lucas will take a closer look and go "What about a mid-game twist that he gains the Force"

...and then we all cry

#125 Posted by Humanity (10063 posts) -
@RVonE

@Tanstaafl said:

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

Name one of those games.

Well Witcher 2 for one. I'm not really saying HEY MAN pc games rock and you console kiddies ain't got a clue - but I do think this a case of unwarranted Brad obsession where he will champion this title to no end. I think it looks neat but it hasn't seemingly done anything we haven't seen before so I can't understand where Brad is coming from.
Online
#126 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

it always amazed me when people claimed that DX 11 and the new console cycle wouldn't be a huge improvement.. Star Wars 1313 alone proves that wrong, and it's early for all of that. So if this is where it begins, I can't wait to see where it ends. It's too bad though that the PC version ends up just being a port, otherwise this is where a lot of the PC games would be at.

#127 Posted by PhilipDuck (569 posts) -

Looks pretty sweet.

#128 Posted by Bakath (32 posts) -

This is the start of all the consoles peeps who said graphics do not matter (whaa whaa whaa) start changing thier tune. lol

#129 Posted by Lazyaza (2212 posts) -

@doobie said:

@Anund said:

Wow, these boards are full of cynical assholes, aren't they? "Yeah, I don't like it, I think it sucks cause bro, I've seen this before, know what I'm sayin'?"

I think the time has come for you people to get out of the basement and head into the world. You're obviously done with gaming.

i have to agree.

i really wonder what would actually take to make these people say 'wow' or get a little excited.

Unreal Engine 4, the real next gen engine that will become standard in the years to come. Not a modded UE3 that I suspect is being used mainly for cost reasons and coding familiarity on the developer side. Sorry but when you play a lot of high end PC games when the next "leap" comes it has to be just that; a leap. Anyone whose played Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 or similar games at max on a high end PC isn't going to be jaw dropped by this tech demo. That's just how it is.

#130 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@Lazyaza said:

@doobie said:

@Anund said:

Wow, these boards are full of cynical assholes, aren't they? "Yeah, I don't like it, I think it sucks cause bro, I've seen this before, know what I'm sayin'?"

I think the time has come for you people to get out of the basement and head into the world. You're obviously done with gaming.

i have to agree.

i really wonder what would actually take to make these people say 'wow' or get a little excited.

Unreal Engine 4, the real next gen engine that will become standard in the years to come. Not a modded UE3 that I suspect is being used mainly for cost reasons and coding familiarity on the developer side. Sorry but when you play a lot of high end PC games when the next "leap" comes it has to be just that; a leap. Anyone whose played Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 or similar games at max on a high end PC isn't going to be jaw dropped by this tech demo. That's just how it is.

I've got a high end PC and played The Witcher 2 on that a few weeks ago. Doesn't mean I have to be a jaded asshole about every new thing coming out of E3.

#131 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

I find it hilarous when the console noobs think there fucking new xbox or ps4 is going to look like as good as a PC game when the new consoles already run old ass pc hardware that is what they have been doing since 2001 stuffing old ass pc hardware into a box and calling it a console.

Besides it will play like ass with a analog stick anyway

#132 Posted by dropabombonit (1492 posts) -

I was kind of meh when this was announced but after seeing it on GT I can't wait for it

#133 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@Cubical: I find it hilarious how PC elitists never shut the fuck up about consoles.

#134 Posted by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

I'm really excited for this game, 1313 will definitely be the Star Wars game everyone remembers.

#135 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1368 posts) -

It looks great. So does Watch Dogs.

I wonder if those games will be home on PC and the console port feels the same way it felt owning a Commodore 64 when all the screenshots in the magazines, was from the Amiga versions of the same games.

#136 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Lazyaza said:

@doobie said:

@Anund said:

Wow, these boards are full of cynical assholes, aren't they? "Yeah, I don't like it, I think it sucks cause bro, I've seen this before, know what I'm sayin'?"

I think the time has come for you people to get out of the basement and head into the world. You're obviously done with gaming.

i have to agree.

i really wonder what would actually take to make these people say 'wow' or get a little excited.

Unreal Engine 4, the real next gen engine that will become standard in the years to come. Not a modded UE3 that I suspect is being used mainly for cost reasons and coding familiarity on the developer side. Sorry but when you play a lot of high end PC games when the next "leap" comes it has to be just that; a leap. Anyone whose played Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 or similar games at max on a high end PC isn't going to be jaw dropped by this tech demo. That's just how it is.

i have a high end PC. (i7 2600k with 2xGTX570) and i play the witcher 2, BF3 and all the other games you mention. but none of those even maxed out look like that. if you can link me to a video or post some pics that do then i would be really interested to see them.

#137 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@RVonE

@Tanstaafl said:

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

Name one of those games.



Well Witcher 2 for one. I'm not really saying HEY MAN pc games rock and you console kiddies ain't got a clue - but I do think this a case of unwarranted Brad obsession where he will champion this title to no end. I think it looks neat but it hasn't seemingly done anything we haven't seen before so I can't understand where Brad is coming from.

can you please post or link to a video of the witcher 2 that looks as good as that video.

#138 Posted by Saltank (188 posts) -

Why don't they post an Original or at least 1080p of this on YouTube? 720p sucks :(

#139 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -

@doobie: Exactly.

#140 Posted by Lazyaza (2212 posts) -

@doobie: You and several others seem to be taking the "negative" comments people have been leaving about this video too literally. We're not saying this game DOESN'T look better than Witcher 2 etc, what we're saying is the leap that has many people mind boggled isn't as pronounced to us because of games like Witcher 2 etc. I don't understand how this is being misinterpreted so much. We're not being jaded or cynical and if you truly believe this game looks lightyears ahead of the existing games mentioned then you've really got a funny way of assessing what you see when you play these games.

Because all I see in this 1313 game is some higher end particle effects (as mentioned in brads interview curtesey of ILM, the smoke in particular was nice), a bit of cloth simulation and some mild shader/lighting improvements over the best looking games I've played to date on pc. Impressive to a degree yes but its not the sort of thing I would go buy a PS4 for, especially if on top of all this its just another cover shooter with climbing mechanics.

#141 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -
@Beaudacious said:

Gears of War 5 : Star Wars Texture Pack

Or Nathan Goes to Space.  The video was boring.
#142 Posted by falling_fast (2279 posts) -

@Lazyaza said:

@doobie: You and several others seem to be taking the "negative" comments people have been leaving about this video too literally. We're not saying this game DOESN'T look better than Witcher 2 etc, what we're saying is the leap that has many people mind boggled isn't as pronounced to us because of games like Witcher 2 etc. I don't understand how this is being misinterpreted so much. We're not being jaded or cynical and if you truly believe this game looks lightyears ahead of the existing games mentioned then you've really got a funny way of assessing what you see when you play these games.

Because all I see in this 1313 game is some higher end particle effects (as mentioned in brads interview curtesey of ILM, the smoke in particular was nice), a bit of cloth simulation and some mild shader/lighting improvements over the best looking games I've played to date on pc. Impressive to a degree yes but its not the sort of thing I would go buy a PS4 for, especially if on top of all this its just another cover shooter with climbing mechanics.

pretty much, yeah

#143 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I can't remember the last time I was excited by a Star Wars game. KotoR2, probably. I love the idea of there being no Jedi--been there, done that. This game looks like just what I want to play. Too bad my PC sucks and probably can't run it. :/

#144 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

We are finally getting back to that old school Star Wars look. I'm not even some huge fan and I feel relieved.

#145 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Lazyaza said:

@doobie: You and several others seem to be taking the "negative" comments people have been leaving about this video too literally. We're not saying this game DOESN'T look better than Witcher 2 etc, what we're saying is the leap that has many people mind boggled isn't as pronounced to us because of games like Witcher 2 etc. I don't understand how this is being misinterpreted so much. We're not being jaded or cynical and if you truly believe this game looks lightyears ahead of the existing games mentioned then you've really got a funny way of assessing what you see when you play these games.

Because all I see in this 1313 game is some higher end particle effects (as mentioned in brads interview curtesey of ILM, the smoke in particular was nice), a bit of cloth simulation and some mild shader/lighting improvements over the best looking games I've played to date on pc. Impressive to a degree yes but its not the sort of thing I would go buy a PS4 for, especially if on top of all this its just another cover shooter with climbing mechanics.

well i have the witcher 2 as i say maxed out with uber sampling and i don't think it looks anywhere near as good as that.

#146 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -

@BlatantNinja23 said:

it always amazed me when people claimed that DX 11 and the new console cycle wouldn't be a huge improvement.. Star Wars 1313 alone proves that wrong, and it's early for all of that. So if this is where it begins, I can't wait to see where it ends. It's too bad though that the PC version ends up just being a port, otherwise this is where a lot of the PC games would be at.

There has been a lot of that talk in the last few years from short-sighted gaming and tech journalists, not to mention message board morons.

#147 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

I saw this and was like WTF! PC is the way to go if you want a good looking game.

#148 Posted by Tolkienfanatic (99 posts) -

Mentioning the heyday of Star Wars games without Rogue Squadron? For shame.

#149 Posted by eloj (501 posts) -

Looks nice, but not blown away. Any PC with a post Wolfsdale CPU and a current-gen graphics card can do that today (and probably did in that video).

#150 Posted by crcruz3 (293 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

I don't understand how you can be so dumb. Yes, the game is sharp-looking. And sure, all of ILM's custom renders and their attention to detail is quite eye-popping. But implying it can't run on current gen hardware is beyond shortsighted. For fuck's sake, you're RIGHT NEXT to games like Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. Putting it on cutting edge PC hardware may keep the game's resolution very high and keep it from screen-tearing, but this is TOTALLY DOABLE on modern hardware still, Brad. Fuck. This has been the no.1 most annoying thing the internet has said at E3 all year. Dumb fucker journalists kept saying the same thing about Ubi Soft's new IP, Watch Dogs, until they just came out and said, "It's for PC, 360 and PS3 people".

It's running on Unreal Engine 3, even. Their custom engine for Force Unleashed was probably more taxing to the 360.

Indeed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.