Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam ... great service ..or pure rippoff ?

• 168 results
    duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By duxup

I like Steam a great deal.  I think they've got some great deals.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By shotaro

I love it

certx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By certx55

Great Service.  I use it mostly for cheaper older games

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By mike
    mracoon said:
    Example, in Steam - Crysis costs...£29.99, in Retail - £34.99. So in retail the game costs an extra £10."
    What kind of crazy math do you Brits use over there?
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By whackmypinata
    Demilich said:
    "If you live in Australia you'd know why Steam is a godsend."
    You're welcome.
    STEAMKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By STEAMKING

You can see what I think of Steam by seeing how many games I have purchased...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Arose1980/games

Alan

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mike
    STEAMKING said:
    "You can see what I think of Steam by seeing how many games I have purchased...

Alan"
    Your list totally sucks without Titan Quest Gold Edition on there.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By jakob187
    MB said:
    "STEAMKING said:
    "You can see what I think of Steam by seeing how many games I have purchased...

Alan"
    Your list totally sucks without Titan Quest Gold Edition or Darwinia on there."
    /fixed
    Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
    deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

its not steam, its eurupamaphone!

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By StressedOutCat

I think steam itself is a great service.. the library of games alone is amazing ( you wont find that many games downloadable from one source legally )

but ...I believe some people here have missed the point I was trying to make.
    its simple.. would you still say steam is a great service if you had to pay $83.29 for a game that would be able to buy in the store ( with disc manual and everything ) for $49.99 ?
    don't get me wrong I love being able to play my games without having to put in the disc in the drive... but is that alone worth $33.30 more ?

and let me stress this for people who again have not realized that the prices and examples given are probably not for the same region as your in... like I've explained .. I do not live in the USA .. so the prices you get on your steam will not match the ones I get... which was the other point I was making... why I have to pay more for the same game..?
    look I kinda understand they adding the VAT for the people here in Europe cause that's sadly the law here now since 2003...
    ( which I still do not understand why... I don't pay that vat when I buy the retail copy on amazon from usa ).. but why is the games origenal price without tax already priced higher to begin with than compared to usa ?

Zaerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zaerus

Great service, and i'm in europe 2.
    If the price tag on steam is more expensive then in stores = buy retail store version.
    Should also note that in some occasions i got my games off steam cheaper then i could find in any local store though.

What really anoys me is the double dosis of DRM that some games are getting (crysis warhead, stalker clear sky...) Why should one put an install limit on that anyway? it's not like i can pirate it because it's steam and i'm never going to pawn my account off. so WHY?!
    And yes, the country restrictions. Especially when advertising pops up for a game that i really want, but turns out is region locked to me (Assasin's creed, ArmA)

Compaired to the garbage out there, steam takes the cake.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By xymox

Still needs some improvement. 
    Pricing for european customers is one, being able to enter the games you bought in a shop is another. 
    Don't understand why you can buy for example Dreamfall on steam and download it, but if you already bought it in a shop you still have to use the disc. But I guess user friendlyness is still a few years into the future. 

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By StressedOutCat
    Here is another fresh example of steam annoyance !

two days ago when I started up steam .. I saw that World of Goo was on the coming soon tab and would be released soon... you could even purchase it already and it would probably activate on release...
    sadly I didn't have enough time to buy it right there and then .. so I figured I'll just buy it later...

today I finally get another chance to start steam again .. and I remember.. "hey world of goo is probably out now.. another new game to play.. Yeay!! "
    so I start to look on steam to see where it is.. I cant find it... " strange...!?! "
    I start searching for it..  again nothing..
    figuring maybe they changed the name for the European version and maybe that's why I cant find it..
    so search for the company of the guys who made it 2D Boy.. again nothing...

so I use a proxy and check it on the American site..
    and the game is not only on the American steam site... but also its out !

they removed the game from the European steam !! ... why ??
    is my money less valuable ? ...WTF gives !?

so.. how frustrating this might be... I just wonder if I would have gotten even more screwed  if I did pay for the game when I saw it on the coming soon tab....
    and then finding out I cant download it and play it.......  or would I now be able to enjoy the game like the the steam costumers in the US ?
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By AkumaX

A lot of games on there are dirt cheap though. £2.50 for Day of Defeat? Any day of the week.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By StressedOutCat
    AkumaX said:
    "A lot of games on there are dirt cheap though. £2.50 for Day of Defeat? Any day of the week."
    maybe.. but how can you go about advertising a game on the service and then pulling it on the last day for the European service..
    I just want some level of equality .. its bad enough they make us pay more for some games...but to pull game like that for no reason ?
    GotemRunnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GotemRunnin
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By StressedOutCat
    GotemRunnin said:
    "

Great service imo. 

Example.  Bioshock 19.99 usd via steam.  will be 59.99 for ps3 and you could probably find a 360 copy for 34.99 used.  Steam is good for me.

"
    would be good for me too.. sadly on my steam Bioshock is $54.99 .. and then there is the VAT making it  $65.44.. making the ps3 actually cheaper !!
    would you say "steam is good for me" if you had to pay $65.44 for Bioshock ?
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By AkumaX

Things always have a markup, it's just very weird that they still keep it in dollars when they do it. That does mean, however, that the cheap games remain cheaper. For instance, if they converted to Pounds, CS:S would probably cost £15, wheras it works out around £12 because they keep it in dollars.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    StressedOutCat said:
    "AkumaX said:
    "A lot of games on there are dirt cheap though. £2.50 for Day of Defeat? Any day of the week."
    maybe.. but how can you go about advertising a game on the service and then pulling it on the last day for the European service..
    I just want some level of equality .. its bad enough they make us pay more for some games...but to pull game like that for no reason ?"
    Just FYI for all the European people out there...It's the publishers screwing you over not Valve. Valve doesn't decide what games come out where and for how much. They just provide the service, publishers are the ones that decide to charge you $10 more for COD4.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By wefwefasdf

Steam is amazing for me.

krazedkaoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By krazedkaoz

you dont need to buy games on steam. I use it so I don't need to worry about discs so much. I still buy the disc version and enter serials into steam.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By StressedOutCat
    ComradeKritstov said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "AkumaX said:
    I just want some level of equality .. its bad enough they make us pay more for some games...but to pull game like that for no reason ?"
    Just FYI for all the European people out there...It's the publishers screwing you over not Valve. Valve doesn't decide what games come out where and for how much. They just provide the service, publishers are the ones that decide to charge you $10 more for COD4."
    its not.. if it was than the retail store copy would cost just as much.. but it doesn't.
    Abunai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Abunai

I reckon God likes me, because i've never had a single problem, be it crashing or whatever with steam, even back when it was apparently horrible in 2003.

I love it, I don't think i've bought a PC game outside of steam for over a year off the top of my head.
    mawryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mawryk

I don't know why StressedOutCat has such insanely higher prices.

Here in Canada, even with the current crappy Canadian dollar, Steam is just fine.  Other than catching games on sale at the big retailers, Steam is usually the same price or cheaper.  Especially good for picking up slightly older games.  Add the convenience of not having a game box taking up storage space, and it's a win-win.  I also appreciate that when buying an older game, you don't have to manually patch it yourself!

Dib9394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Dib9394

Of course it's a great service. I have no problem with it. :)

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Elijah

I've never really had a problem with Steam.  I constantly hear people bashing it, but I don't really understand why.  It's most definitely the best digital distribution platform for games, period.  I can see how you are frustrated being from Europe, though.

ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    StressedOutCat said:
    "ComradeKritstov said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "AkumaX said:
    Just FYI for all the European people out there...It's the publishers screwing you over not Valve. Valve doesn't decide what games come out where and for how much. They just provide the service, publishers are the ones that decide to charge you $10 more for COD4."
    its not.. if it was than the retail store copy would cost just as much.. but it doesn't.
    "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_content_delivery#cite_note-miller-retailerpricepressure-12

"Regional pricing on Steam is also a controversial subject. It is widely used by publishers to artificially ensure that prices on Steam stay comparable to or above the retail price of a game in user's area, which considering regional differences and exchange rate fluctuations can lead to dramatic differences. Thus, as of April 2008, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare costs $49.95 USD in the United States but $88.50 USD (not AUD) in Australia."
    brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By brent_kukost

As a fellow Europeon I feel your pain. But I just don't buy shit over Steam, and rather buy the retail. Doesn't really bother me as I was able to install the full version of my retail purchased Orange Box to my hdd allowing me to not bother with swapping dvds.

If you are interested in buying old games on download though, I would recommend GOG.com, which is a european project and I don't think they mark their prices up. I have at least not yet come across a product that is artificially inflated.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#82  Edited By PureRok
    brent_kukost said:
    "As a fellow Europeon I feel your pain. But I just don't buy shit over Steam, and rather buy the retail. Doesn't really bother me as I was able to install the full version of my retail purchased Orange Box to my hdd allowing me to not bother with swapping dvds.

If you are interested in buying old games on download though, I would recommend GOG.com, which is a european project and I don't think they mark their prices up. I have at least not yet come across a product that is artificially inflated."
    Yea. $5-$10 for their games is fine by me.
    Judge_Zetsumei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Judge_Zetsumei

call of duty 4 on steam is $82.24 inc. VAT, which is £51.14
    I can buy call of duty 4 from play.com with free postage for £32.99 ($53.04)

It doesn't stop there though. Bioshock on steam is $64.61 inc. VAT, which is £40.17
    I can buy bioshock brand new from play.com with again free postage for £9.99, yes TEN POUNDS! or $6.21

Steam is great I love it and i agree the service is great, but their prices are questionable for us British or Europeans. Also steam games rarely go down in price yet their retail counterparts go down all the time as they get older.

Jay4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jay4321

Steam is great.

The Price of those games are up to the publishers, Valve has no problem putting games at a lower price. That is all up to the Publisher, bitch at them if you have a problem with prices on steam.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By Phished0ne
    ComradeKritstov said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "ComradeKritstov said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "AkumaX said:
    "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_content_delivery#cite_note-miller-retailerpricepressure-12

"Regional pricing on Steam is also a controversial subject. It is widely used by publishers to artificially ensure that prices on Steam stay comparable to or above the retail price of a game in user's area, which considering regional differences and exchange rate fluctuations can lead to dramatic differences. Thus, as of April 2008, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare costs $49.95 USD in the United States but $88.50 USD (not AUD) in Australia.""

QFT!

Being in america i find that steam is a great service, i have used it to buy many games, Audiosurf, Left4Dead, i could keep going. Being able to pre-load the games and play them as soon as they unlock is amazing!  But i really feel your pain man, but in the end you cant shit on steam just becuase the publishers are price-fixing to make sure they sell box copies of games.
    JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By JudgeDread

pure ripoff in europe as of two days ago

gabe and valve are ignorant greedy fucks

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By pause422

Great service in general...get over it.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PureRok
    JudgeDread said:
    "pure ripoff in europe as of two days ago

gabe and valve are ignorant greedy fucks

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231"
    How does them making Europe pay more for their games make them "ignorant"? It may make them greedy (in your eyes), maybe even "arrogant", but I don't see anything to justify ignorant because I'm sure their accounting department or whatever knows about exchange rates. Sucks to be you, I guess.
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By StressedOutCat

Great.. seems there is no end to the Steam / Valve dishonesty.
    Now we finally get to pay in our own currency.. But according to Steam 1 USD is equal to 1 Pound / 1 Euro

http://kotaku.com/5115340/dollar-no-longer-weak-vs-euro-on-steam

This is getting out of hand..
    Copy of Left 4 Dead on steam 49,99 Euros compared to a retail copy of Left 4 Dead on play.com for 37,99 which includes free shipping.(I bet I can find it even cheaper than the prices on Play.com this is just a quick example)
    So even Valve games are more expensive on Steam than retail ?
    Doesn't this kinda blows the theory out of the water that its the publishers who make valve overprice the game on steam and its not valves fault... !?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PureRok

Uh... Valve owns Steam, so there aren't any publishers to force Valve to do jack shit with it (for their own games). If you ever thought it was someone else doing it then... wow.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Sushbag
    lamegame621 said:
    "Great Service. End of Story. Next."
    Yup. And true, other publishers who bow to Valve and have their stuff graciously pimped out on Steam don't give you the great deals Valve gives you, but that's their problem. Anything you buy from Valve will be an amazing value for your money.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love Steam, and, yeah, I live in the U.S., so COD4 is only $50 here.  I only buy the deals that they have, in which they are GREAT, so whatever.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Alexander

If this is about Steam including new currencies then I'd say, as someone from the UK, it's a good thing considering how badly pound sterling is doing against the dollar. My copy of GTAIV cost me more in dollars than what I would pay now on Steam. I don't know how it works for the Euro. Anyone talking about "IP discrimintation" should wake up and realise this is about economies and tax.

Steam is the best thing going for PC gaming right now, but that isn't to say there aren't problems. Firstly the "no DRM", well that's up to the 3rd parties that put their content on Steam, if you remember Crysis Warhead originally came with all it's DRM intact on it's Steam release and GTAIV has secuROM. Steam also isn't usually the cheapest option anyway, unless you're talking about Valve titles.

Avatar image for keanureevesmediocreactor
    KeanuReevesMediocreActor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam best thing to happen to pc.
    I don't like DRM  freedom fighters, very whiny.
    Blame pirate not dev.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By Evilmetal

Steam = impulse purchases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_purchase

"An impulse purchase or impulse buy is an unplanned or otherwise spontaneous purchase. One who tends to make such purchases is referred to as an impulse purchaser or impulse buyer."

On hot deal forums, I've been seeing people list the games they bought from Steam recently. Steam has a 'sale' going on till today.

Many of these purchases to me seem they were made without too much research. Their purchase habits are like this following example:

• For example, a shopper in a supermarket might not specifically be shopping for confectionery. However, candy, gum, mints and chocolate are prominently displayed at the checkout aisles to trigger impulse buyers to buy what they might not have otherwise considered.
    If these people took the moment to search a bit, they would see they could get the disk version cheaper locally or via mail. They claim Steam provides easy access to the game, no CD/DVD needed. So those who misplace their disks won't be out of luck because Steam uses no CD/DVD, it's all online. What happens if you forget your Steam login and you don't know your email password? "Oh well don't forgot your email password..." or "why pick such extreme example" may be said. I say... don't lose your disks.

What happens if you're on an island and want to play a game you bought from Steam? No net access, it's not installed on your PC. Now what? "Oh you should have installed it before you went on the trip and set it to offline mode" .............. yea okay... I forgot, now what? "Tough sh!t buddy, next time prepare for the trip better." LOL . If you had the disks however, you could install it on your computer. How about the computer is at the destination without internet? I'm sure I can think of more examples and others can counter them, we can go on and on.

Thing is people just buy without thinking of the ramifications from the purchase. Without thinking of the advantages and disadvantages. "OMG, I just bought xxxxx and xxxxx for yyy... OMG OMG"  hahaha...

With this recent Steam holiday sale you have people listing like 5-10 games and coming up with totals of how much they spent:

xxxx1
    xxxx2
    xxxx3
    xxxx4
    xxxx5
    -------
    $yy.yy <---OMFG

hahahahaha... I think it's kinda funny. Come on... buy 1 or 2 games, tops, play them... beat them and then move on. By this time other games will be on sale. But there are people who buy these Steam games, like a fat person who doesn't stop eating. Eat lunch, okay... then wait for dinner time... don't eat steak and ice cream and cake and steak again in between lunch and dinner... jeeez....

You have money to spend, fine. Everyone has food in the fridge but we don't eat it all in one sitting. Get on a Steam diet.... you Steam fattys.  ;-)
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By PureRok

You don't need the internet to play games on Steam.

Edit: Also, I hate the hypothetical question/idea of an island. If you were on a fucking island you wouldn't be playing games as there wouldn't be any electricity, so that argument is moot.

ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    PureRok said:
    "You don't need the internet to play games on Steam.

Edit: Also, I hate the hypothetical question/idea of an island. If you were on a fucking island you wouldn't be playing games as there wouldn't be any electricity, so that argument is moot."
    Isn't that why its hypothetical?
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#98  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Kohe321 said:
    "Great service. Period."

EFKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By EFKT

Steam is a great service. Even with a weak dollar like the NZD, i get great specials on steam.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By brydello
    lamegame621 said:
    "Great Service. End of Story. Next."
    This.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.