Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV (PC) Review Update

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Zangief does Windows. 
    Zangief does Windows. 
    Capcom has released Street Fighter IV for the PC this week, following up on the February releases for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The differences are few, but still meaningful for PC owners. For a more detailed take on what makes Street Fighter IV so great, check out our full review, which has been lightly updated to account for the new PC release. This article will mostly focus on the specific differences found in the PC version of the game.

From a gameplay and features perspective, Street Fighter IV is identical to what you'd get on consoles. The game supports Games For Windows Live, giving it a set of achievement points and a player matching setup that, for better or worse, is just like it is on the Xbox 360. That means that you'll still occasionally run into cases where you can't connect to a match after the quick match option gives you a list of available players. Also, the game ships with the Championship Mode update that was released as a free patch for the console versions of the game. It would have been nice to see cross-platform support between the 360 and PC versions of the game, but so far, at least, there seem to be plenty of players on the PC who are looking for a fight.

The game certainly has support for the keyboard, but that's not how you want to play Street Fighter IV. You should consider a joystick or gamepad as a requirement if you want to enjoy the game, and don't forget that you'll need two of those things if you want to enjoy playing the local versus mode. I used the Xbox 360 versions of the MadCatz Arcade Fight Stick TE and the MadCatz gamepad, both of which are pretty ideal for controlling the game. As it does have keyboard support, players with joysticks that map to keyboard presses should be in luck, but I want to stress that I didn't test that out for myself. Additionally, online reports state that the PlayStation 3 versions of the MadCatz controllers released alongside Street Fighter IV PS3 work just fine.

The other options come in the form of graphical tweaks and settings that you'd expect to see in a PC game. These options let you tweak the resolution, filtering, v-sync, shadow quality, and so on. The good news is that Street Fighter IV was originally developed for the Taito Type X2 arcade hardware, which is really just a coin slot hooked up to a Windows machine--and not an especially beefy one, either. I wouldn't call my machine state of the art, but I was able to turn every setting up to the maximum and still get my frame rate up to the 59.97 frames per second that you'll want to achieve for the most playable results.

Finishing with a super or an ultra still makes everything go nuts. 
    The other interesting option is a set of additional shaders you can enable to give the fighters a slightly different look. They're fairly subtle, with one adding a bit of an ink effect that hovers around the edges of the fighters, another giving the characters a watercolor-like palette, and posterize effect that flattens the look of the characters out a little bit. Watercolor is probably the most striking, but I prefer the default look of the fighters.

As this is a Games For Windows Live game, it offers support for downloadable content, none of which seems to be available on the GFWL Marketplace as of this writing. It seems reasonable to assume that the same alternate costumes made available on consoles will eventually make their way to the store.

As it can run in a higher resolution that the console games and offers more graphical settings, this version of Street Fighter IV has the ability to look better than the 360 and PlayStation 3 releases, but the differences aren't major. Provided you've got the right controller for the job and a good widescreen monitor, the PC version of Street Fighter IV is a perfectly capable version of the game that, like the previous releases, is positively terrific.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Zangief does Windows. 
    Zangief does Windows. 
    Capcom has released Street Fighter IV for the PC this week, following up on the February releases for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The differences are few, but still meaningful for PC owners. For a more detailed take on what makes Street Fighter IV so great, check out our full review, which has been lightly updated to account for the new PC release. This article will mostly focus on the specific differences found in the PC version of the game.

From a gameplay and features perspective, Street Fighter IV is identical to what you'd get on consoles. The game supports Games For Windows Live, giving it a set of achievement points and a player matching setup that, for better or worse, is just like it is on the Xbox 360. That means that you'll still occasionally run into cases where you can't connect to a match after the quick match option gives you a list of available players. Also, the game ships with the Championship Mode update that was released as a free patch for the console versions of the game. It would have been nice to see cross-platform support between the 360 and PC versions of the game, but so far, at least, there seem to be plenty of players on the PC who are looking for a fight.

The game certainly has support for the keyboard, but that's not how you want to play Street Fighter IV. You should consider a joystick or gamepad as a requirement if you want to enjoy the game, and don't forget that you'll need two of those things if you want to enjoy playing the local versus mode. I used the Xbox 360 versions of the MadCatz Arcade Fight Stick TE and the MadCatz gamepad, both of which are pretty ideal for controlling the game. As it does have keyboard support, players with joysticks that map to keyboard presses should be in luck, but I want to stress that I didn't test that out for myself. Additionally, online reports state that the PlayStation 3 versions of the MadCatz controllers released alongside Street Fighter IV PS3 work just fine.

The other options come in the form of graphical tweaks and settings that you'd expect to see in a PC game. These options let you tweak the resolution, filtering, v-sync, shadow quality, and so on. The good news is that Street Fighter IV was originally developed for the Taito Type X2 arcade hardware, which is really just a coin slot hooked up to a Windows machine--and not an especially beefy one, either. I wouldn't call my machine state of the art, but I was able to turn every setting up to the maximum and still get my frame rate up to the 59.97 frames per second that you'll want to achieve for the most playable results.

The other interesting option is a set of additional shaders you can enable to give the fighters a slightly different look. They're fairly subtle, with one adding a bit of an ink effect that hovers around the edges of the fighters, another giving the characters a watercolor-like palette, and posterize effect that flattens the look of the characters out a little bit. Watercolor is probably the most striking, but I prefer the default look of the fighters.

As this is a Games For Windows Live game, it offers support for downloadable content, none of which seems to be available on the GFWL Marketplace as of this writing. It seems reasonable to assume that the same alternate costumes made available on consoles will eventually make their way to the store.

As it can run in a higher resolution that the console games and offers more graphical settings, this version of Street Fighter IV has the ability to look better than the 360 and PlayStation 3 releases, but the differences aren't major. Provided you've got the right controller for the job and a good widescreen monitor, the PC version of Street Fighter IV is a perfectly capable version of the game that, like the previous releases, is positively terrific.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Best with M+KB am I rite? But you can headshot someone with those fireballs?

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By phlegms

Oh SF IV, how I wish I was still into fighting games enough to truly appreciate you..

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By BackpackKat

To bad there is no cross platform support that would have been cool.

BTW FIRST
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @JohnAsscream said:
    " To bad there is no cross platform support that would have been cool.
    BTW FIRST
    "
    fail
    Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

SF4 on any version is beast

Set

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Set

the online will die after a few months/weeks

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By End_Boss

Would have been cool to see some of those graphics tweaks (watercolour, etc.) in the article. Eh, well. Good that PC-only folks get to enjoy SFIV.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @JohnAsscream said:
    BTW FIRST
    "
    Why people insist on shouting first is beyond me - it's pointless

And heres a tip -if you are going to try it, at least make sure YOU ARE ACTUALLY FIRST! 
    Gah -almost as bad as that 'from the internet' meme -fucking dumb.

On topic, im actually considering picking the pc version up alongside my ps3 version- im glad to see that it holds up just as well :)
    Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lepuke

I love me some Street Fighter, but considering I already bought the game for the PS3 (due to the PS3's better D-pad only) I don't think I can drop cash on it again for the PC version.
    It's great to see some support for PC gaming though.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daryl

This sounds like a game I really wouldn't want to play on PC, it just feels weird.

UltraBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UltraBoi

I understand that fighting games are best played with an arcade stick or gamepad but using a keyboard is not too bad, actualy in my case I've been able to perform combos and special moves far more quickly and easily with the keyboard than my with my gamepad. As far thegame goes it's pretty good but for no more than 5-10 min quick plays. 

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By farmer

I know a chap who's incredible at SF3 with a keyboard. It can be done.

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By I_am_Lono

Street fighter on the PC sounds desperately pointless. Let's face it, once you plug a 360 controller into a PC you've just got an expensive and unstable Xbox 360 . . . with Excel.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

This is good for my friend who only has a good gaming PC. Now he can train and then we can have an actual battle on my PS3.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Reverseface

Who ever plays SF4 on a PC. it's fucking crazy just get a 360 or something JEEEEZE LOUISE

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tarakun

Special Edition's coming in the mail. Glad to hear there are no technical issues.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I tried it on the PC, all thanks to a pal, at max settings on 1440x990 (or something similar) and I did not noticed differences between the console versions.
    Of course, it has better AA and the new filters (that aside from the one called INK, are not noticeable at all).
    Still, a good buy for those who cant afford a PS3 or a 360. Still, I recommend not playing it below 60fps.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jiggah

The only problem I'm having with the game thus far is finding good opponents with good connections.  Is it this bad for Xbox Live?  The indicator for the fights are also extremely misleading.  There have been a couple of matches with people who supposedly have 4 bars, but as soon as the matching starts, I end up fighting with the lag.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By JJOR64

Uber sauce.  I might be a point whore and get this for PC for the achievements.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Agreed on the lack of cross platform support. It should have no problems integrating with Xbox users since you don't have to worry about accuracy differences between mouse versus thumbstick. Perhaps down the line. More games need cross platform support, even if it is of the Live variety.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chewii101

So does SF4 support cross platforming?

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThomasP

I read the review, but I'm still unsure of one thing... does this game has vs (two player), or can you only play against someone online?

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jiggah
    @Chewii101 said:
    " So does SF4 support cross platforming? "
    No.

@ThomasP said:
    " I read the review, but I'm still unsure of one thing... does this game has vs (two player), or can you only play against someone online? "
    Yes, it supports local 2 player versus.  The only problem is that the 2nd player must use a controller.  There is no option to set the 2nd player to keyboard.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scratch

Shame, I pre-ordered the madcatz bundle from the Capcom Store and just got an email stating its been backordered. Here we go again.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ThomasP

@Jiggah: Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Bartman3010
    @I_am_Lono said:
    " Street fighter on the PC sounds desperately pointless. Let's face it, once you plug a 360 controller into a PC you've just got an expensive and unstable Xbox 360 . . . with Excel. "
    But playing online through Games for Windows is free. I think I'll take $0 a month to the 360's $10 a month. Sounds like a damn fine deal
    to me. Plus the PC version of the game is $20 cheaper.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bigandtasty

I actually prefer a keyboard over controllers (except for doing 360° motions), though of course a stick exceeds both of those.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By metal_mills

I'm just worried the online won't be big.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine
    @JohnAsscream said:
    BTW FIRST
    "
    Yeah that would have been cool. Since Shadowrun we haven't really seen any more games with that feature.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By lordofultima

The good thing about the PC version is that you can use either PS3 or 360 sticks for it, making it the "universal" version. It probably won't be adapted in tournaments since no one wants to set up a bunch of moderately expensive PC's, but it's a pipedream of mine.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IceColdGamer
    @Reverseface said:
    "

Who ever plays SF4 on a PC. it's fucking crazy just get a 360 or something JEEEEZE LOUISE

"
    Perhaps said person has a heavily developed gaming PC and prefers the art of manipulating his/her games without the need for a console?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am glad to hear it is a great port. Now I really should start playing my 360 version again...

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Southgrove
    @I_am_Lono:  My PC 360 never gets RRoD though ;)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have it and love it, this version looks fricking awesome at max settings at the highest res. I don't care much for the shaders but everything else make this game look notably better the PS3 and 360 versions. When I ran the game it shocked me how good it looked, the lighting and particle effects look so much better.

Capcom have done an amazing job.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By Lazyaza

Been playing the crap out of it since it FIIIINALLY unlocked on steam, god this game kicks so much ass.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By Nomin

Capcom surprisingly is the only one Japanese publisher whose entry to the PC market has been successively marked with ports that look as good if not better than their console counterparts, cheaper, and runs on a host of multiple configurations. To call their foray into the PC business a success on their part is a profound understatement. For $40.00, at 20 dollars cheaper than the price of the console version, with host of controller and graphics options and full range of multiplayer and DLC possibilities, they had gone beyond the requirement of a simple direct to port job and enthrals PC users. The only downside to this is the ever present copy protection scheme that resides on every install, which is something every PC gamer has to abide with nowadays. PC users should reward Capcom for their smashing job by actually purchasing and supporting their product for once.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38  Edited By SunKing
    @Jiggah said:
    " The only problem I'm having with the game thus far is finding good opponents with good connections.  Is it this bad for Xbox Live?  The indicator for the fights are also extremely misleading.  There have been a couple of matches with people who supposedly have 4 bars, but as soon as the matching starts, I end up fighting with the lag. "
    I think that problem's to do with people having a crappy computer that can't handle the game properly. Like most P2P multiplayer games, FPS or net lag will effect both players even if only one player suffers from it.
    McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By McBradders

Fired this up this morning after lugging my behind to the post office, it's pretty amazing what they did. Not sure if I prefer this version as the network stuff suffers from some issues I thought would be obsolete on a PC, but for the price I can't really complain.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Media_Master

now the pc players can join the action

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Nomin said:
    " Capcom surprisingly is the only one Japanese publisher whose entry to the PC market has been successively marked with ports that look as good if not better than their console counterparts, cheaper, and runs on a host of multiple configurations. To call their foray into the PC business a success on their part is a profound understatement. For $40.00, at 20 dollars cheaper than the price of the console version, with host of controller and graphics options and full range of multiplayer and DLC possibilities, they had gone beyond the requirement of a simple direct to port job and enthrals PC users. The only downside to this is the ever present copy protection scheme that resides on every install, which is something every PC gamer has to abide with nowadays. PC users should reward Capcom for their smashing job by actually purchasing and supporting their product for once. "

I fully agree, I've been saying the same for a while now, knowing that SF4 would turn out this good, on the evidence of their last game, DMC4 PC. 

The PC version of SF4 is awesome, I'm playing at the very hilt on a 30 inch Dell at it looks stunningly, notably better than the 360 and PS3 versions, and I am playing it with my TE and EX SE, so I have no complaints at all.

Capcom have their own PC division and the team work closely with those working on the console counterparts, it definitely benefits the games on the evidence of what they are coming up with these days. I get the impression the PC team like to shgow off what they can do, I got that feeling with DMC4.

There is more Capcom goodness to come from the PC division, Bionic Commando PC is available on July 17th.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By asurastrike
    @Nomin said:
    " Capcom surprisingly is the only one Japanese publisher whose entry to the PC market has been successively marked with ports that look as good if not better than their console counterparts, cheaper, and runs on a host of multiple configurations. To call their foray into the PC business a success on their part is a profound understatement. For $40.00, at 20 dollars cheaper than the price of the console version, with host of controller and graphics options and full range of multiplayer and DLC possibilities, they had gone beyond the requirement of a simple direct to port job and enthrals PC users. The only downside to this is the ever present copy protection scheme that resides on every install, which is something every PC gamer has to abide with nowadays. PC users should reward Capcom for their smashing job by actually purchasing and supporting their product for once. "
    Wasn't the RE4 PC version really bad?
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jiggah
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Nomin said:
    Wasn't the RE4 PC version really bad? "
    Sort of.  No keyboard, mouse.  Also, bad textures when it was released.  An update fixed the texture issue though.

As Jeff stated, this isn't really a port of a console game.  The arcade release was on a PC.  Even though they called it an arcade machine, it ran in a Windows-embedded environment.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Nomin said:
    Wasn't the RE4 PC version really bad? "

No, it was terrible. but then it was developed out of house by SourceNext and not Capcom. 

Now, there's a lot more focus from Capcom on getting the most revenue from PC versions by producing quality.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It looks fantastic on my 22" monitor and it runs at a constant 60 frames per second. I skipped the console version waiting for this release. It on sale at steam and no DRM.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fallen_elite
    @JohnAsscream:  Yeah just what the 360 community needs is a bunch of hackers playing on PC. Cross platform play would make no sense for ANY game unless there was no way to cheat. I'm a PC only gamer by the way.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By jakob187
    @Set said:
    " the online will die after a few months/weeks "
    Really, because the online support for the emulated versions of Street Fighter III are still going strong on PC...
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.