Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StreetPass Functionality

Concept »

3DS titles that use the handheld's built-in StreetPass feature, allowing two units in sleep mode to share game information when they detect each other.

StreetPass

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

No Caption Provided

I'm in the backseat of my brother's car, sandwiched between two cat carriers on our way to Fayetteville, North Carolina, and the main thought going through my head at the moment is, "Will I have any StreetPass encounters?"

Since I've had my 3DS (March 28th, 2011), I've traveled from Oklahoma to Texas, Texas to Oklahoma, Oklahoma to Texas (again), Texas to Arkansas, Arkansas to Tennessee, and now, currently, Tennessee to North Carolina. So how many StreetPass encounters have I had? One. One measly encounter at some convenience store in Texas during the first trip mentioned above. Their name was "Bunny", to be exact. And wow, how exciting that encounter was when the little movie for our introductions played. Thanks to Bunny, I was able to obtain an extra puzzle piece for Puzzle Swap without having to spend my precious Play Coins. I was able to vanquish another ghost on my way to save the king in Find Mii.

The rarity in which I meet other 3DS users in sleep mode isn't for lack of trying, either. My 3DS is on and in my pocket everywhere I go. It's now on the same list as my wallet, keys, and phone under "Things to Take" whenever I leave the house. Hell, I even explored the confines of a three-story hospital when I took my brother to the emergency room (he's fine) in hopes to meet someone. Here are the messages I posted to Twitter during my little adventure:

No Caption Provided

Pathetic? Maybe. But my effort will eventually be rewarded, and when it is, it will be glorious...

Man, I really just need to go to PAX or something. 

----

Has anyone here had better luck? Tell me about your StreetPass experience(s)!

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm in the backseat of my brother's car, sandwiched between two cat carriers on our way to Fayetteville, North Carolina, and the main thought going through my head at the moment is, "Will I have any StreetPass encounters?"

Since I've had my 3DS (March 28th, 2011), I've traveled from Oklahoma to Texas, Texas to Oklahoma, Oklahoma to Texas (again), Texas to Arkansas, Arkansas to Tennessee, and now, currently, Tennessee to North Carolina. So how many StreetPass encounters have I had? One. One measly encounter at some convenience store in Texas during the first trip mentioned above. Their name was "Bunny", to be exact. And wow, how exciting that encounter was when the little movie for our introductions played. Thanks to Bunny, I was able to obtain an extra puzzle piece for Puzzle Swap without having to spend my precious Play Coins. I was able to vanquish another ghost on my way to save the king in Find Mii.

The rarity in which I meet other 3DS users in sleep mode isn't for lack of trying, either. My 3DS is on and in my pocket everywhere I go. It's now on the same list as my wallet, keys, and phone under "Things to Take" whenever I leave the house. Hell, I even explored the confines of a three-story hospital when I took my brother to the emergency room (he's fine) in hopes to meet someone. Here are the messages I posted to Twitter during my little adventure:

No Caption Provided

Pathetic? Maybe. But my effort will eventually be rewarded, and when it is, it will be glorious...

Man, I really just need to go to PAX or something. 

----

Has anyone here had better luck? Tell me about your StreetPass experience(s)!

Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Scribbly

Haha, aren't you supposed to turn Wi-Fi off in hospitals? Also, for just over a month of owning a 3DS, that's an absurd amount of travelling for anyone to be doing? Why did you do it?    (Dope? Revenge?)

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By super_machine

You should troll more Private grade schools. You would probably get a few hits, those kids have lots of money.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard
    @Smiley26 said:
    " Haha, aren't you supposed to turn Wi-Fi off in hospitals?  "
    This!
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Smiley26 said:
    Also, for just over a month of owning a 3DS, that's an absurd amount of travelling for anyone to be doing? Why did you do it?    (Dope? Revenge?) "
    Both!

Also, I had two dentist appointments in Texas (I lived in Oklahoma) and then I moved to North Carolina. I'm finally done, though!
    Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Pabba

I tabled at MoCCA (an indie comics con in NYC) last month and walked away from the two-day weekend with over 50 tags. Cons are definitely the best place to hit up tags.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pabba: That's amazing. :O Did you have to watch an introduction movie for all 50? 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

You moved to North Carolina, that's great. Sadly, I live in Western North Carolina and don't own a 3DS, so you'll get nothing from me. Sorry.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

I've had about twenty hits since I bought mine at launch.  One of the most recent I got by simply leaving the 3DS in its charging cradle overnight; apparently someone in a car or perhaps a neighbor's guest passed by with their own while I was in bed.  I also got four hits in one morning by simply walking by Nintendo of America.

I'm looking forward to PAX.  The number of StreetPass hits I get there should be insane.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Claude: You bastard.

@Hailinel said:
    I'm looking forward to PAX.  The number of StreetPass hits I get there should be insane. "
    I'll mail you my 3DS so you can walk around with it.

I think I will leave it on overnight from now on, though.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
    @Vito_Raliffe: I might get something from you if I win that next giveaway. Oh yeah, I'm dancing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.