Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D World

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The Super Mario Bros. 2-cast of Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach returns for their first 3D adventure with local multiplayer support. And cat suits. In HD.

Reviews are out! Nintendo is so doomed you guys.

• 96 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    No Caption Provided
    • Official Nintendo Magazine: 93 - Not so much a baby step into HD 3D platforming as a triple backflip onto a Goomba's dome. A constant source of joy, surprise and ideas, ideas, ideas.
    • The Escapist: 4/5 - Super Mario 3D World is a very good Mario game that suffers only in that the unrealised potential for it to have been a great game period keeps peeking in between the cracks. Fun to play for veterans and newcomers alike, either as a single-player challenge or a frenetic multiplayer party, and a definite must for current and prospective Wii U owners.
    • Eurogamer: 10/10 - Compact by the standards of the Galaxy adventures but still loaded with bountiful secrets, beneath the warm familiarity of 3D World lies one of the strangest Mario games in years - or at least one of the most random in its influences and its moment-to-moment indulgences. And that's a very, very good thing. The Wii U sees Nintendo's mascot racing into venerable middle age by going wonderfully loopy - by dialling up the energy, even if the end result is often absolutely insane. After all these years, who could blame him?
    • Polygon: 9/10 - Super Mario 3D World doesn't reinvent the Mario formula. But it is in every way its own game, with a bright, joyful aesthetic that's supported by inspired level design and a cast that matters. It gets the balance right between nostalgic touches and clever new twists, and never once let me down with a boring boss or too-familiar retread. In all my years of playing with the Mario gang, I've never been quite so happy to hurl myself into the unknown, and 3D World delivers challenge, surprise and joy in almost every moment.
    • GameSpot: 9/10 - Sure, co-op play is hardly a game changer, but when so much of 3D World is so successfully built upon a bevy of brilliant ideas, this can be forgiven. Everything that you can see and do within its enchanting levels is so bright, colourful, and full of wonder that it's impossible not to be taken in by its charms. Mario has always had that uncanny ability to cross the boundaries of age and gender, to bring a smile to the face of every player who crosses his path. Super Mario 3D World is no different. This is a dazzlingly inventive game that brings the fun in spades, and will leave you grinning like a loon from start to finish.
    • Kotaku: Yes - SM3DW is a fantastic game. Just...fun, from beginning to "end". I had a smile on my face almost the entire time. It's packed with charm from front to back, contains some memorable levels and provides seamless multiplayer fun. If you own a Wii U, congratulations, your wait for a truly special game for the system is over.
    • IGN: 9.6 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 successfully iterated on one of the most inventive platformers of the last console generation. Super Mario 3D World takes slightly smaller steps in the grand scheme of the platformer genre, but it fulfills the promise of a multiplayer Mario much better than anything that the Japanese game maker has done before. Super Mario 3D World is marvelous, and its constant variety and fantastic light-hearted co-op play proves that Nintendo still knows exactly how to tweak their Mario formula in fun ways.
    • GameInformer: 9.25 - Despite this annoyance, I loved Bowser's egocentric concept for the final world in the main campaign, and the last boss battle is plenty entertaining. Any Mario game runs the risk of the final encounter being too traditional or featuring a frustrating gimmick, but this one brought a smile to everyone's faces on my co-op team from beginning to end. While it's not the most difficult challenge, it is suitably epic and entertaining - an exceptional finisher to an excellent entry in the series.
    • Joystiq: 5/5 - Put simply, Super Mario 3D World is stunning. Its world is beautiful, its design is impeccable, and its fun is infectious. I'm running out of superlatives here, so let me finish where I started: Go play it.
    • VideoGamer: 9/10 - With a secret world so good it'll make long-term fans (and me) squeal with glee, and how easily it oozes personality and skill, Super Mario 3D World is the best entry the series has offered up in years. It may not hit the highest of highs that the plumber has done in the past, but it's awfully close.
    • Destructoid: 10/10 - There was a moment where I was taking in the beautiful soundtrack, hovering over a tricky jump as cat Peach, and watching the glistening water below where the game really came together. It was then that I realized that Super Mario 3D World had achieved a level of platforming design that's close to perfection, and there was almost never a moment where I didn't have a smile on my face. This is the unequivocally the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, and it shows up anything the "New" series has ever done, and then some.

I will probably never pick up a Wii U so enjoy this game Wii U owners!!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Giant Bomb: 2/5

Not enough catsuit for my tastes. Meeeeeeee-ow.

Jeff Gerstmann
    Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Dixavd

I'm buying a WiiU this Christmas for this, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD. And I am pretty pumped about this game (despite still disliking Mario a lot and getting bored of Mario Galaxy - but this looks like some of my favourite parts of the games I have liked).

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Jeff Gerstmann

And every single comment on the review is Patrick just typing "CAT MARIO!!"

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That napping Goomba is now my new desktop background. Awesome.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Glad to hear games are comin for that thing. I got rid of mine a while back. Sadly I just lost my passion for those Nintendo games, just aren't my thing anymore I guess. But hopefully this game with the other releases helps the console in sales, I want Nintendo to do good.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nictel

Great! Now all 5 people that own a WiiU can play it. Seriously I hope a lot of people will pick up a WiiU and this game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now that Nintendo's used their adorable cat trump card, what do they have left?

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sagalla

All those reviews sound like they were written by the same person! I doubt I'd be grinning from ear to ear from all the infectious fun myself :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I will be playing it this Christmas. :-)

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

One thing the GB community can take pride in is kick-ass review roundup threads. Nintendo has so much talent I wish they would put them on something new, but really cannot argue with the results apparently.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexGBRO

i think that almost all WII U users will pick this game => 3 to 4 mil copies sold hope the game also moves 1 mil sistems

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool, although for the life of me I can't keep any of these new Mario games straight. I thought this one already came out. Blerp.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody have experience with the pro controller? I've been thinking about getting one for this.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BisonHero  Online

@bbalpert said:

@video_game_king said:

Jeff Gerstmann

And every single comment on the review is Patrick just typing "CAT MARIO!!"

"I'M A CAT! LOOK AT ME, I'M A CAT!"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

That's cool, although for the life of me I can't keep any of these new Mario games straight. I thought this one already came out. Blerp.

this is 3d world, the 3ds one was 3d land

and as we all know, the 3d land is only one part of the 3d world

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't wait for this game. Looks like pure joy, and I can use a little of that right now. Although, Wind Waker HD has helped a bit in that regard.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need a Wii U so badly. Might need to start playing the lottery.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuckkkkkk.

i want a WIIU now, but im scared.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Purchased a WiiU a few months back with the Zelda Bundle. LOVING IT! This will hold me over till a winner is declared in the next gen console war.

Nintendo Doomed? I think not.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@markwahlberg said:

Oh, naturally. Quite so.

I'm not exactly a Nintendo buff, but between all the Mario Worlds, Lands, Supers, New Supers, Luigis, Bros, Papers, Karts, and Parties, it feels a bit much to keep track of sometimes, like Kojima designed their output or something. They should make a chart like they did with Zelda. WHAT IS THE TRUE MARIO TIMELINE?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@animasta said:

@markwahlberg said:

B-b-but why is it called 3D?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yay, the WiiU got one game thats half decent! Now lets all wait another 6months before it gets another one.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By SMTDante89

Super Mario 3D Land is the most fun I've had with a Mario game in years, since this seems to be more or less a direct continuation of 3D Land with new powers, playable characters and local co-op among any other new things I possibly don't know about, I'm really excited about this.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super pumped for Friday.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I... kind of want a WiiU. Think I might pick one up and make WiiU and PS4 my next gen consoles.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just imagine what this team could do if they weren't tied down with Nintendo/WiiU stuff.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I'm glad this is probably gonna do really well for Nintendo. Hopefully, this and Smash Bros. next year gives them the boost they need to really put some focus and creativity into the Wii U. Still not quite enough for me to justify spending the money on one yet, but come next holiday season if they announce a new Zelda and if they really go places with the Virtual Console I'll most definitely pick one up then. I can't wait to see the guys play it, I hope they can squeeze some time in after the Xbox launch.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jothel said:

Just imagine what this team could do if they weren't tied down with Nintendo/WiiU stuff.

Probably be forced to make a first person shooter or an "interactive, cinematic experience" like everybody else.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@miyuki said:

I... kind of want a WiiU. Think I might pick one up and make WiiU and PS4 my next gen consoles.

Do eeeeeeeeeeeeet

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WiiU by Christmas or Xbox One early next year...I don't know man, it is a toss up at this point.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McGhee

I'll wait for the PS4 port, thanks.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cold_Wolven

As good as these reviews are it needs to translate to very high sales as this game should be a system seller otherwise the Wii U is doomed.

redelectric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jothel: Imagine what any other team could do held to Nintendo's rigid standards and with their pedigree.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

Who gives a shit about Cat Mario? Fire Peach is where it's at.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I own a Wii U. I might pick this up.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Wait a minute - since when does Nintendo of all companies make amazing games?

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: I think the virtual console could be such a strength for Nintendo if only they didn't drip releases out like they do. If the Wii U had released with the virtual console revamped as a monthly subscription service that provided access to aii first party Nintendo games up to, say, the N64, I know that I and many of my Nintendo-loving friends would have bought one immediately. I'm sure this would be a nightmare from an infrastructure perspective, but the value add would be huge for anyone with a shred of Nintendo nostalgia. Do you know of anything that makes you think they might "go places" with the VC next year, or is that just wishful thinking?

Glad, though not surprised, that this game has been well received. I will certainly pick it up when I inevitably buy a Wii U at some point in the next few years.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Babies.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

@flappy said:

@toowalrus said:

Babies.

Watch for baby cat Mario coming soon in Yoshi's New Island.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aajf: Most of it is wishful thinking, but Iwata remarked in this interview that he would like to "enrich our Virtual Console lineup": http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/131031qa/02.html It's the last question on the page. Mainly I'm just thinking adding GBA titles to the 3DS and Gamecube titles to the Wii U would be a fantastic development. Obviously the meandering pace that they roll this stuff out would ideally need to be fixed first.

But it has me a little hopeful for the future, definitely.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wii U still needs either another price drop or Zelda game for me to get one

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@flappy said:

@toowalrus said:

Babies.

For fuck's sake, just don't shake them, Nintendo

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Marz

i should probably wipe off that thick layer of dust on my wii u and put this game in.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jothel said:

Um what? They've made one of the best games of the year and you're complaining?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I need now is an Animal Crossing-U and you've got me Nintendo, actually at £220 with NSMBU/LU I'll probably grab it and Windwaker for Christmas, still need my nook fix!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By MezZa

I'm still holding out for Smash Bros, but its good to know there will be other good games to pick up along with that as well.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Looks awesome but no way I'm getting a Wii U (again) to play 3D World.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Revan_NL

Yes, Super Mario 3D World will instantly solve all of the Wii U's problems (like selling -10.000 units in Europe the last three months). There's no question that Nintendo can make great games, but from what I've seen Super Mario 3D World doesn't even sell the Wii U and its features all that well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.