Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes me happy...

Avatar image for hypotheticalsolution76
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

...and it's made me a happy gamer again. For awhile there gaming wasn't any fun. No game stuck with me like the new Mario is doing right now. The game has really been an enjoyment to play and if you feel the same, let's all comment here. Nintendo needs to hear about it.

HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...and it's made me a happy gamer again. For awhile there gaming wasn't any fun. No game stuck with me like the new Mario is doing right now. The game has really been an enjoyment to play and if you feel the same, let's all comment here. Nintendo needs to hear about it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

It is continually flipping back and forth between the highest rated game this generation and the highest rated game of all time.

I think Nintendo knows.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Willy105:  Not really. It only has 37 reviews up on Metacritic, and 23 of those are perfect scores, but Uncharted 2 has far more overall reviews and it has around 39 perfect scores. I believe the game with the most perfect scores ever has been Uncharted.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It looks refreshing and simply fun.  It's one of the only games that has made me regret selling my Wii for a 360.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @Willy105:  Not really. It only has 37 reviews up on Metacritic, and 23 of those are perfect scores, but Uncharted 2 has far more overall reviews and it has around 39 perfect scores. I believe the game with the most perfect scores ever has been Uncharted. "

Galaxy 2's Metacritic average is 98. Uncharted 2's Metacritic average is 95. Galaxy 2's Gamerankings average is 97.37%. Uncharted 2's Gamerankings average is 96.08%. Uncharted 2's "perfect" scores number around 39 out of over a hundred, while Mario Galaxy 2's number 23 out of 37 (that is to say, right now, Mario Galaxy has a much higher percentage of "perfect" scores than Uncharted 2; if that trend follows, it'll soon surpass 39).

Right now, Mario Galaxy 2 is the highest rated game this generation (tied with Grand Theft Auto IV on Metacritic, and tied with nothing on Gamerankings). Maybe its average will rise or fall in the future, but as of this moment, that's the situation. 

EDIT: Dude, why are we even discussing this here? This is a thread about how happy the game makes the dude feel, not about how many or how high review scores it's gotten.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64

The game is a ton of fun.  There are a lot of cool levels and a fairly lengthy game if you try to 100& it.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Cube

The game is fun and pretty. About 15 stars in I found I'm burnt out on Mario. Oh well, gave it a go. 

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Endogene
    @JJOR64 said:
    " The game is a ton of fun.  There are a lot of cool levels and a fairly lengthy game if you try to 100& it. "
    Fairly is an understatement, trying to get all the stars is one heck of an undertaking but oh so worth it. It is amazing how every level is unique and feels fresh even the ones that you will end up doing after "beating" the game.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

Nintendo is still a threat.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By hinderk

SMG2 looks awesome, but I've decided not buy it until I complete some of the games I already own.

Quick question to anyone who has the game. Does SMG2 contain the purple coin comets from the first game? I'm currently trying to 100% the first one, and these purple coin comets are making me want too quit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
    @hinderk said:
    " SMG2 looks awesome, but I've decided not buy it until I complete some of the games I already own.  Quick question to anyone who has the game. Does SMG2 contain the purple coin comets from the first game? I'm currently trying to 100% the first one, and these purple coin comets are making me want too quit. "
    I don't have SMG2, but those purple coin comets made me quit the first game. I hated those damn things, god, what a grind.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willy105
    @FreakAche said:
    " Nintendo is still a threat. "

To the hardcore way of life, yes.

Thankfully. We all know the game industry deserves more.

@hinderk said:
    " SMG2 looks awesome, but I've decided not buy it until I complete some of the games I already own.  Quick question to anyone who has the game. Does SMG2 contain the purple coin comets from the first game? I'm currently trying to 100% the first one, and these purple coin comets are making me want too quit. "
    I haven't gotten to them yet, but people say they are back, and that they make the ones from the original seem like tutorials.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hinderk
    @Willy105: That sucks.Hopefully they made them a little less tedious.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Willy105
    @hinderk said:
    " @Willy105: That sucks.Hopefully they made them a little less tedious. "
    Tedious? What? Evil, unfair, stressful and unforgiving, yes. Tedious, no.

Never a dull moment with those stars, at least in the original.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FreakAche
    @Willy105 said:
    " @hinderk said:
    " @Willy105: That sucks.Hopefully they made them a little less tedious. "
    Tedious? What? Evil, unfair, stressful and unforgiving, yes. Tedious, no.  Never a dull moment with those stars, at least in the original. "
    Yeah, I'm really not sure why people complained so much about the purple coins in the first Galaxy. I mean, that Luigi's purple coins mission was ridiculously hard, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I haven't seen a whole lot of purple coin missions in Galaxy 2 yet, but none of the ones I've done would I describe as "tedious".
    ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ToadRunner

tbh- game reviews arent what they used to be.

look at the number of 10s the big sites give out now compared to the ones they gave out years ago.

smg2 is not a ten, the game is not perfect by any means.
     (it is damn good though, its just not perfect)

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hinderk
    @Willy105: I think you talking about the timed levels, which I actually like.I was talking about the untimed levels.The untimed purple coin levels are boring(IMO) and some take a while to complete.I hoping most of the purple comets in SMG2 are the timed variety.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FreakAche

@hinderk
    Out of the three purple coin levels I've come across in Galaxy 2, two of them are timed and the third one is a slide where you have to get 100 out of the 140 available coins.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hinderk
    @FreakAche: That's good to hear. As long as they are the timed levels I'm ok with them.
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FreakAche said:
    " @hinderk Out of the three purple coin levels I've come across in Galaxy 2, two of them are timed and the third one is a slide where you have to get 100 out of the 140 available coins. "
    How far in are the purple coin levels? I'm at World 5 with about 43 stars right now. I have completed some of the comet stages and they're a lot of fun. I never played SMG 1  so this whole purple business is new to me. 
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ToadRunner said:
    " tbh- game reviews arent what they used to be.  look at the number of 10s the big sites give out now compared to the ones they gave out years ago.  smg2 is not a ten, the game is not perfect by any means.  (it is damn good though, its just not perfect) "
    Is there a review scale for 'fun' that is set up for each gamer out there? Perfection is tossed around in games by their scores, but it's entirely based on the good time factor. What was the experience? I mean each part of the game gets broken down which is fair, but the overall fun score should be noted somewhere. I don't mind having imperfection because I'm not somebody else who is playing. If the game's perfect to me because it makes me happy playing, that's all I can really care about anyways.
    SiriusB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SiriusB

Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes everyone happy !

It's a game filled with glee !

HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cube said:
    " The game is fun and pretty. About 15 stars in I found I'm burnt out on Mario. Oh well, gave it a go.  "
    Since Mario isn't your thing at the moment, what's been keeping you busy instead? Because if it can take the place of SMG2 right now, it must be ridonkulous.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene
    @HypotheticalSolution76 said:
    " @FreakAche said:
    " @hinderk Out of the three purple coin levels I've come across in Galaxy 2, two of them are timed and the third one is a slide where you have to get 100 out of the 140 available coins. "
    How far in are the purple coin levels? I'm at World 5 with about 43 stars right now. I have completed some of the comet stages and they're a lot of fun. I never played SMG 1  so this whole purple business is new to me.  "
    You will encounter then mostly in comet star levels so you should stumble into one soon enough.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Cube
    " @Cube said:
    " The game is fun and pretty. About 15 stars in I found I'm burnt out on Mario. Oh well, gave it a go.  "
    Since Mario isn't your thing at the moment, what's been keeping you busy instead? Because if it can take the place of SMG2 right now, it must be ridonkulous. "
    Red Dead Redemption
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cube said:
    " @HypotheticalSolution76 said:
    " @Cube said:
    Since Mario isn't your thing at the moment, what's been keeping you busy instead? Because if it can take the place of SMG2 right now, it must be ridonkulous. "
    Red Dead Redemption "
    Yeah, totally with you on that. I think it's going to be a lot of fun for me too, as I love Westerns and the Old West is just an unbelievable place.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Willy105
    @Cube said:
    " @Cube said:
    Red Dead Redemption "
    RDR is a fine game, but SMG2 replaced it for me. Maybe I should go back to it....
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Dalai
    " @FreakAche said:
    How far in are the purple coin levels? I'm at World 5 with about 43 stars right now. I have completed some of the comet stages and they're a lot of fun. I never played SMG 1  so this whole purple business is new to me.  "
    I didn't get to them until about 50-60 Stars in and I ended up doing two in a row. The first one I did was pretty simple, but the Flip-Swap Galaxy Purple Coins were a bitch to get... not quite at the level of Luigi's Purple Coins in the first game, but pretty difficult nevertheless.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FreakAche
    @Dalai said:
    " @FreakAche said:
    I didn't get to them until about 50-60 Stars in and I ended up doing two in a row. The first one I did was pretty simple, but the Flip-Swap Galaxy Purple Coins were a bitch to get... not quite at the level of Luigi's Purple Coins in the first game, but pretty difficult nevertheless. "
    I have an update on the purple coin situation. It seems that many of the prankster comets for the galaxies in the Secret World are purple coin missions. One of which is very similar to Luigi's Purple Coins from the first galaxy.
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dalai said:
    " @FreakAche said:
    I didn't get to them until about 50-60 Stars in and I ended up doing two in a row. The first one I did was pretty simple, but the Flip-Swap Galaxy Purple Coins were a bitch to get... not quite at the level of Luigi's Purple Coins in the first game, but pretty difficult nevertheless. "
    I am there now in my first purple coins, the Flip-Swap Galaxy. My ability to jump correctly has gone down as I've gotten older. It appears the difficulty will scale higher. I don't have anything to compare it too as it's my first purple coins stage, but man quite a challenge.
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FreakAche said:
    " @Dalai said:
    " @FreakAche said:
    I have an update on the purple coin situation. It seems that many of the prankster comets for the galaxies in the Secret World are purple coin missions. One of which is very similar to Luigi's Purple Coins from the first galaxy. "
    Ok, that's good to know. A lot of the special Comet missions I haven't played yet, as I wanted to try each Galaxy for 1 star and then move on, hoping I'd have enough stars for the castle. As I have to go back and grab ones I missed, I hit up some of the Comet missions. Out of all the Comet ones I've seen (maybe 5?) only 1 has been the purple coins. I hope some of the others ones are just as interesting as the Flip-Swap galaxy comet.
    NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By NickM

Being a poor student, I had to get down and dirty and fix my Wii myself (it was out of warranty) in order to play this game. All in all, Mario and Co. made all the blood, sweat and tears along with countless hours of work worth it. Easily.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thejamster

i completely agree, i don't even own this game but the first one made me so happy to just play and re play the first levels

HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thejamster said:
    " i completely agree, i don't even own this game but the first one made me so happy to just play and re play the first levels "
    See I missed out on the first one, so this 2nd one just brought all kinds of happiness. Glad to see I am not alone!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.