Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Sunshine

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 19, 2002

While vacationing on tropical Isle Delfino, Mario is framed for vandalism committed by his own shadowy doppelganger, forcing the paroled plumber to clean up the entire island by using a specialized water-spraying device known as F.L.U.D.D.

It's a backlog weekend for me... maybe?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai
    That's the look I have while playing Super Mario Sunshine.
    While everybody this weekend is getting acquainted with Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Wrath of the Lich King, I'm going to hit the back catalog and conquer one of my greatest fears... Super Mario Sunshine.

I've had the game for almost 2 years now and I've tried at least 4 times to blast through it, but I always seem to quit after gathering only a few Shine Sprites.  It's very unusual since I have never had this problem with any other Mario platformer... I've beat just about every other major Mario platformer... 1, Lost Levels, 2, 3, World, 64, and Galaxy have all been conquered and defeated, but never Sunshine.  I think it's time that I finally finish this bitch off for good.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dalai
    While everybody this weekend is getting acquainted with Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Wrath of the Lich King, I'm going to hit the back catalog and conquer one of my greatest fears... Super Mario Sunshine.

I've had the game for almost 2 years now and I've tried at least 4 times to blast through it, but I always seem to quit after gathering only a few Shine Sprites.  It's very unusual since I have never had this problem with any other Mario platformer... I've beat just about every other major Mario platformer... 1, Lost Levels, 2, 3, World, 64, and Galaxy have all been conquered and defeated, but never Sunshine.  I think it's time that I finally finish this bitch off for good.
    bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bekern

I need to finish this too actually, just a few more shines I think and I'll be done. I don't get the hate for this game though.. I really enjoyed the water pack gimmick :P. I loved floating around everywhere and spraying away all the gunk, haha. I can agree with the complaints on the camera control thoughl.. having to constantly fiddle with it was pretty annoying. It's still IMO better than Galaxy's camera, which only I seemed to have a lot of trouble with :(. Have fun though, I hope you can get through it this time!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I actually think it's a pretty excellent Mario game. It's kind of weird. When it came out, everyone loved it, it received wonderful reviews pretty much across the board. Then Super Mario Galaxy comes out, which I personally think is a far inferior game, and then everyone starts bashing Mario Sunshine. Pretty retarded. Either way, I thought Sunshine was a nice, fun diversion for the Mario series. It had top-notch controls (much more so than Galaxy) and just basic platforming was quite fun in the game. Sunshine's camera was completely manual, which maybe is too advanced for a lot of gamers or something, but I actually prefer it... It sure as heck beats Galaxy's lousy camera. Bekem, I'm with ya there, dude. Galaxy's camera was pretty awful. You didn't have much freedom at all with it and were pretty much forced to look at what the game wanted you to look at. Most of the time it absolutely didn't allow you to turn it at all. Sure, there was the first person view, but it wasn't quick and only provided a 120 degree viewpoint, which was totally a lame idea. The bad camera really discouraged exploring the levels, which is quite a letdown. Anyway, Sunshine is fun, it has a few rough spots and an incredibly disappointing final level, but other than that it's a great game that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Willy105

Super Mario Sunshine is the longest Mario game I ever played, even longer than SMB3.

I never got to finish it. There's just TOO MUCH.

hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By hendersonman

This week has been a big backlog week for me. 4 days off from work and I decided to go and finish Fable 2, and playing some more Resistance 2. Fallout 3 and Gears 2 has been sucking up my time.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Willy105
    hendersonman said:
    "This week has been a big backlog week for me. 4 days off from work and I decided to go and finish Fable 2, and playing some more Resistance 2. Fallout 3 and Gears 2 has been sucking up my time."
    You call that a backlog!?!
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Good luck, I have a huge backlog of games, 28 now, my blog says 27, but I just got another.... But I never really like Sunshine, it was OK, but not that great. =/

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

Sunshine was cool but Galaxy had much more of a spark to it.

It's a great game though. I finished it back in the day.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThomasP

Hell yeah! Kick some sunshine ass!

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ddensel

I'm playing through this game now too. Mario Sunshine is just one of those games where you can get stuck easily. I started it last spring and played it off and on, getting a few shines here and there. I finally beat Bowser last night, and only have about 20 shines left to get. Good Luck!

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By JonathanMoore

I finished it a while back, and its a great game. 80% or higher game for sure. Why 64 and Galaxy may be better games, it has a little place in my heart for some reason.

-- God Bless.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I own this game, but I really hate it.  Like you Dalai, I've had the game for a really, really long time, but I've never worked up the effort to finish it.  It just wasn't compelling in the same way Super Mario 64 was.  I don't like the level design, I don't like the water-gimmick, and I feel the whole thing is just really contrived. 

Blah.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

Why was I one of the few that liked Sunshine? Maybe I was really young then, but I loved the setting and worlds. The game kept me until the end, and it was just very entertaining. I only had a problem with the camera, but that is it. It is one of my favorite Mario games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.