How do you pronounce Sword?

#1 Posted by WholeFunShow (342 posts) -

I pronounce it 'Sword' but the GB team especially Ryan seem to pronounce it 'Sword' is there an injoke I'm not getting?

#2 Edited by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@WholeFnShow said:
" I pronounce it 'Sword' but the GB team especially Ryan seem to pronounce it 'Sword' is there an injoke I'm not getting? "
What.
#3 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@WholeFnShow: make this a poll with sounded out choices like swore-d  or sord
#4 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I'm quite sure it's a joke. There is one way to pronounce sword, and it's not the way Ryan pronounces it.

#5 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I say sword.

#6 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

You pronounce it "Sword" and they pronounce it "Sword", the exact same spellings, according to what you said. Could you maybe try to elaborate on exactly what you mean?

#7 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
#8 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -

i say sored

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Sord.

#10 Posted by GhettoBond (66 posts) -

The reason why the Giant Bomb crew pronounces it the way they do is because of The RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan.  He's always pronounced the W in sword for some reason.  If you listen to older episodes of the Bombcast, you'll hear Jeff and Ryan reference the Wu-Tang Clan.

#11 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Without a w.

#12 Posted by Gellrock (381 posts) -

i say it as "penis"

#13 Posted by TheHT (10281 posts) -

with a silent dubya.

#14 Posted by Dalai (6880 posts) -

Swarduh.

#15 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

I think the OP used a voice to text program to make that comment.

I pronounce it the normal way-  Soared.

#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

Are.  you.  serious?  Ryan's not that stupid, he already explained, when they were answering to an email on the Bombcast, that he said it that way because it's awesome-r sounding than the correct pronunciation.  But it's all jokes.  I'm sure (I hope) everyone knows how to pronounce the word correctly, at least in normal speech.

#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

"Swords for $400, Alex."

#18 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -
@WholeFnShow said:
" I pronounce it 'Sword' but the GB team especially Ryan seem to pronounce it 'Sword' is there an injoke I'm not getting? "
...this is a joke right? right?
#19 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

soared. but i hear it pronounced soared. 

#20 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

s-awe-d

#21 Posted by WholeFunShow (342 posts) -
@GhettoBond: I googled "RZA says sword" & finded RZA -  samarai showdown on Youtube & listened to it: Myth confirmed. Thank you.
#22 Posted by Slax (885 posts) -
@Chirag4 said:
" @WholeFnShow said:
...this is a joke right? right? "
This. I did find it hilarious though.
#23 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

Well, Ryan calls Batman "Batmin" and Robots "Robits". He's a strange strange person.

#24 Posted by Phaseshift (222 posts) -

its a silent W, anything else is completely stupid.

#25 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2063 posts) -
@iizcallum said:
" s-awe-d "
What?
#26 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (221 posts) -

swærd
#27 Posted by Allprox (533 posts) -

Oh, will you people just stop with this baffling inability to understand that he's just doing it for shits and giggles. Yes, of course he's pronouncing it wrong, but anytime someone tries to explain why he does it, it just drains all the fun out of it. 
So please, stop asking why Ryan says "Absofruitly" and "sWord" and "robit" and "interweb" and countless others and just be at ease with it and shut the fuck up.

Sorry.
 /rant

#28 Posted by Bones8677 (3170 posts) -

It's in inside joke with Ryan. He pronounces robots as "Robits" too. 
For the sole purpose of confusing people, he said as much when it was brought up on an older episode.

#29 Posted by newmarcom (295 posts) -

I remember on one of the bombcasts that Ryan likes to "mispronounce" words specifically to annoy people and sound different. Seems like it's working.

#30 Posted by Atlantus_Air (187 posts) -

I say it like sord.

#31 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -
@Manhattan_Project: : As in an 's' sound, then 'awe' like 'awesome', then a light 'd' sound :P I should have put 'sord', It would have been less confusing xD
#32 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -

Sord. 

#33 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -

I know, man. I say it like sword but my friends says it like sword and his cousin says it like sword. One time we got into a fight and his mom said it was sword, and we all said it was sword.  

Totally crazy, yo.

#34 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" soared. but i hear it pronounced soared.  "
Same here.  I've heard dudes say it as 'Ess Werd'
#35 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6654 posts) -
@WholeFnShow said:
I say 'sword' as 'sword' Thanks for asking 

#36 Posted by Meptron (1060 posts) -

I pronouce it like "word" with an s at the front. That's how it's supposed to be. everyone else is wrong.

#37 Posted by guiseppe (2833 posts) -

"sored"

#38 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1733 posts) -

Do you pronounce "robot" as "robot" or "robot"?

#39 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Properly.

#40 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" Do you pronounce "robot" as "robot" or "robot"? "
I prefer "robot". All the kids are saying it like that nowadays. I guess "robot" is acceptable too. If you're a Commie.
#41 Posted by Symphony (1913 posts) -

Oh hey, welcome to Giant Bomb! I guess you weren't around for the 3 or 4 similar threads posted in the past.

#42 Posted by raiz265 (2232 posts) -

zord
#43 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -
@WholeFnShow said:
lol, what?
#44 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

i pronounce it "Sord" like most people, Ryan is just special like that, one of the (many) reasons we love him (and hate him at the same time)

#45 Posted by Hamst3r (4342 posts) -

I pronounce it Schwartz.

#46 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@skrutop said:
" Without a w. "
@Gellrock said:
" i say it as "penis" "
@Ryax said:
" soared. but i hear it pronounced soared.  "
I agree
#47 Edited by WholeFunShow (342 posts) -

found this fucking around on google (googling my own name, fine.) I like to think Ryan would have liked it :)

#48 Posted by NMC2008 (1168 posts) -

Sords

#49 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (925 posts) -

This thread just makes me miss the constant stream of people who could never understand that Ryan just enjoyed ironically mispronouncing things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.