Anyone pick it up yet?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by ttocs (762 posts) -

Mine is coming from Amazon and should be there when I get home from work so I'm interested in seeing if anyone has played it yet.  I'm a pretty big Tales fan so there isn't much the game could do wrong for me to not like it, but I'm still interested in what the masses think.  So far, the only review I've found online is from Game Informer and they gave it a solid 78.  

#2 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

Pick up my copy at Gamestop later today. Its been years since I played a Tales game since Vesperia. Graces has been receiving positive feedback by many and been on top preorder list on Gamestop so I expect it'll do well and Namco will localize more.

#3 Posted by SMTDante89 (2558 posts) -

Picking my copy up later today.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Oh shit, I didn't know this was coming out today.

#5 Posted by Morningstar (2147 posts) -

I would if it was coming out in europe, which it isnt for the time being(I think I saw a vague summer realease somewhere)

#6 Posted by Slayne (46 posts) -

My copy is out for delivery, so I should see it soon. Still toying with ME3, so I might not get to play right away.

#7 Posted by ghostdini85 (14 posts) -

I get it later today and I can't wait.

#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

mine should be here tomorrow morning sometime. Got my DLC already installed from Gamestop.

#9 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Oh shit, I didn't know this was coming out today.

#10 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Hopefully mine arrives in the mail today *fingers crossed*

#11 Posted by sunsetstreek (57 posts) -

Got mine

#12 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I'll pick mine up at GameStop later. I'll have to trade-in some games by the looks of things. ><

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I really like Tales of Vesperia, I wonder If I'll this one as well. The only other tales game I played was a hour or so of Symphonia and did not like it.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Big fan of some Tales games, but the art style and stuff I've seen of it will probably make me avoid until someone can convince me. Still undecided.

#16 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

Been playing it for about an hour now, actually. Not a huge fan of how learning artes is handled but it plays pretty well and the skits are as delightful as ever.

#17 Posted by mewarmo990 (835 posts) -

Definitely on my list. However, I just imported Vesperia for the PS3, so it will be a while yet.

#18 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1679 posts) -

Just picked it up this afternoon after work. Gonna make some time to play Journey first, though, before I give Graces a spin. I'm excited though, I'm nearing the end of Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, and still have a hankering for some more Tales.

#19 Posted by Jawshua (258 posts) -

I get every Tales game that comes out in America, I might get it this week.

#20 Posted by amazinglover (28 posts) -

Played and loved the Wii version of Tales of Grace and if your a Tales fan i'm sure you'll love it too. From what I've read the PS3 version is supposed to better with more content.

#21 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

Just got my copy from Amazon. I'll be popping it in tomorrow.

#22 Posted by PeterBazooka (3 posts) -

I picked it up from this morning. The only Tales game I've played before is Vesperia but that was pretty good so hopefully I enjoy this one as well.

#23 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -

From what I played of the Japanese version, it's a Tales ass Tales game. Though I wonder why they limited the multi-player to two people.

#25 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

How is the english voicework, if there's one thing I can't stand in a jrpg its awful vo's like with star ocean lost hope or whatever. I'm also not interested in listening to the japanese vo's so I don't care if thats good.

#26 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

"Summer" is the best they can do, if there's no word by June I'll import.

#27 Posted by MetalBaofu (1365 posts) -

I can't buy it since I just bought the ME3 collector's edition, have Xenoblade Chronicles on pre-order, and I need to send my Xbox in for repair(it recently red ringed....again). However, I am renting it from Gamefly...it should be here later this week(maybe Thursday).

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Just played through Tales of the Abyss recently on 3DS so I'm going to wait a bit before I hop into another Tales game.

#29 Posted by Turambar (6707 posts) -

Playing this reminds me that I really wish Tales games started using better textures for their character models.  The blandness is getting way too noticeable.

#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Turambar: How are the graphics and art design in general. From what i've seen I don't really like the character design near as much as Vesperia. Having not played this game this is my only way to judge it.

#31 Posted by Grillbar (1807 posts) -

i really want to find out if its any good

#32 Posted by eternitymemory (153 posts) -

@kerse said:

How is the english voicework, if there's one thing I can't stand in a jrpg its awful vo's like with star ocean lost hope or whatever. I'm also not interested in listening to the japanese vo's so I don't care if thats good.

I was watching a livestream a few hours back and the voice acting seems up to snuff. Definitely not anywhere near the levels of the most recent Star Ocean game, I can assure you.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Turambar: How are the graphics and art design in general. From what i've seen I don't really like the character design near as much as Vesperia. Having not played this game this is my only way to judge it.

I'm with you, actually. I find all of the character designs really off-putting. Some, like Sophie's (the pig-tailed girl, just to clarify) are just downright ugly. They're nearly equal with Legendia's in unpleasant outlandishness.

Though I've played most of the NA released Tales games, I'm going to be skipping this one. My aversion has less to do with JRPG weariness in general and more with the inexplicable sense that I really wouldn't enjoy this game. I dunno what it is about it, as all evidence points to this being not too far away from the other Tales games, which I enjoyed to varying degrees...but the bad vibes I'm getting are strong and I can't shake them off.

Also, I don't think I have what it takes to suffer through that really corny childhood arc that I glimpsed in the stream. @ PollySMPS Is right. The anime cliches are as shameless as they are numerous. Perhaps even more so than the average Tales game usually offers up. Then again, it's been awhile since I've played one and I didn't see too much of this game before the streamer went offline, so maybe I'm not remembering things right.

In any event, I guess now I'll wait for a US release of Xillia.

#33 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

@Grillbar: Well the story is kinda cliche and the characters are little anime stereotypical. However, the characters develop pretty well over the course of the game and the story is paced well enough to make it work. Combat is one of the best since you are encourage to evade attacks and charge up to increase your attack bar, allowing you to pull off some crazy moves.

#34 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

As a reformed Tales fan, it feels odd to have no desire to buy this. Bleh...the series just doesn't do it for me anymore; I can't over look the awful everything else just because combo combat is fun.

#35 Posted by ttocs (762 posts) -

After playing through the childhood portion of the game last night, I can honestly say that the game is pretty darn good.  It's cliche, but what do you expect?  I'm really enjoying it so far.

#36 Posted by Forderz (247 posts) -

I'd buy this... If I had a ps3.

#37 Posted by Dark (372 posts) -

@Morningstar: Its on the PS3, no region lockouts. Just go on fleabay and grab it for not a whole lot. I do that with PS3 games that are actually sold in Aus, much cheaper.

#38 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

Just picked it up today on Amazon. I heard that they added an entire epilogue from the Wii version.

#39 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (282 posts) -

I got it and it's exactly what I'm looking for in a tales game. The story is cliche but the characters are fun and lively. Combat is better and more complex than it has ever been. Although it's a strange compliment, the menus are some of the best I've ever seen.

#40 Posted by blastershift (65 posts) -

Loving this game so far, only got a few hours into it, but it's a very good Tales game!

#41 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I probably will get this, but way later when it's cheaper and if I can still find it. I am more excited for Xillia.

#42 Posted by jello44 (44 posts) -

I'm a little past the childhood part and so far, it's not so bad. Yeah, it's a little cliched, but it's fine. I've enjoyed my time with it. The combat takes a little getting used to, but once you start to get the hang of it, it's fun.

#43 Posted by sawtooth (431 posts) -

Want to pick it up eventually.

Anyone done any co-op? Is good?

#44 Posted by Ersanven (91 posts) -

I've clocked 27 hours into it already. The battle system is definitely the most strategic in the series. You have to hold off because of the capacity. Of course there's still a shit load of button mashing but positioning seems to play a larger role than ever before.

#45 Posted by madnesshero88 (44 posts) -

About 15 hours in at this point and am definitely liking it, esp the battle system. The one glaring issue is that the localization isn't nearly as good as vesperia's. Vesperia kept the awkward dialogue to a minimum, but graces seems to have cringe worthy writing every other line.

#46 Posted by Superkenon (1407 posts) -

Somewhere around 13 hours in. I like the changes they've made -- it's still the Tales I know and love, but it has enough of its own business going on that it's not just a rehash.

I went ahead and set the difficulty up to Hard for this run, and it's a lot of fun. If you're looking to do more than mashing buttons, then I recommend it. Enemies can rough you up if you're not on your game. I'm looking forward to playing through it again on even higher settings.

#47 Posted by MasterWGS (42 posts) -

@Bocam said:

From what I played of the Japanese version, it's a Tales ass Tales game. Though I wonder why they limited the multi-player to two people.

Wait, my case says it's 1-4 players. As someone who frequently plays these games co-op with a group, are you sure you're right on this? I'd check, but I haven't gotten my group together to play yet, so I don't have a file to test it with...

#48 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -

Huge Vesperia fan and so far about 3hours in and i am definately enjoying it. I feel a no brainer for any TAles Of fans and a beautiful jrpg for all.

#49 Posted by gillman (49 posts) -

@Jawshua: it is entirely worth it. It isn't nearly as good as Versperia was, but it is solid and probably one of the better recent JRPG's to hit the this shore recently.

#50 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I'm sitting at about 30 hours now, loving every second. And I'm not exactly a big tales fan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.