Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Just got TF2, need some tips!

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ket87

Finally made a Steam account yesterday and decided to enter the strange wilderness of PC gaming. My first pick was Orange Box since its a great value and I've been playing TF2 for the last hour and damn do I suck. Anyone got some beginner advice for a TF2 noob?
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JJGIANT

Uh well I got pretty darn good at TF2 on 360, but I also have just entered into the arena of PC gaming with my new rig. TBH the first thing that I would say, as somebody who does not play the game on a very serious level, is to just find a class that fits your play style. Now of course a game of TF2 changes all the time and you can't just sitck with one class (well I can't anyways). Try and find your primary class in each bracket, Defense/Attack/Support etc  

After that I find just playing the game as often as possible is the best way to pck up the nuances of the game.

It depends whether you want to play TF2 casually or really get into it. If its the latter I recommend posting on the Valve forums because they really know what they are talking about over there. I'm sure they have threads for beginners or just tips people have to share. Also check some Youtube videos for tips and tricks. I find that actually seeing these things in action makes it a lot easier to repliacate when you need to do it. 

Hope you enjoy it. 

PS My Steam name is KingOfTheR0de0 if you wanna play sometime ;)
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Griddler

Practice, practice, practice.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ProjektGill

As much fun as it may seem do not start with a Sniper, for me at least, everyone else who snipes will be better than you and can peg you from across the map. I think playing as the Pyro and the Soldier is fun to charge in and relatively easy to get kills. Scout is just damn fun to play even if you don't get kills. Medic is good for a team but a bit boring. Engineers can be boring but primely placed turrets can rack up kills. I never really play as the Demo or the Heavy so I wouldn't be able to tell you. The Spy is really hard to play as so people tell me so I would not start as that class. I would recommend trying to find larger games so when you die (and you will die a lot) it won't affect your team as adversely as it would in a smaller game. 

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gregomasta

Try pyro and heavy.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

engineers pwn

jonoy52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jonoy52

depends on what class you want to play  
    1. scout : Its pretty hard to play and u will need to have a totaly lag free computer to really master it but with some training u will make it 
    2. spy : google omgninja spy tutorial 
    3. Sniper: just aim for the headshoots :P good training map cp_orange 

I play these 3 mostly and if u just wanna get some kills then play as the nr.1 noob class of all times pyro u just run straight forward on any map and hold the trigger button down :P

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Nictel

Find a big game of Capture Point or Payload. Cause it won't matter if you die a million times and you'll respawn quickly. Don't do Arena as you'll won't respawn and have to wait the entire round only to probably get killed quickly again in the next.

Which role you should take depends highly on your playing style. Try them all out and see which you like most.

I personally started out as a medic, this can be fun if you find a good Heavy player. Though you won't do much killing yourself, so that can get boring.

Heavy is also good, slow but strong.

Scout  is fast, personally I find the scout more fun with the bat that allows you to shoot balls but you

Spy is DIFFICULT, you'll need to know the maps and how people tend to go around to be a good spy.

Pyro is fun as you get up and close in the battle and light people on fire! Accuracy isn't that important either.

Demo, you'll need a bit of time to learn how to properly aim and to see how the grenades react. Know that you can do massive damage if the circumstances are right. I once took out 8 people at once, cause they were all hugging around a dispenser.

Soldier, can be fun I personally never learned how to shoot those darn rockets properly.

Engineer, tends to be a bit boring, cause you'll spend a lot of time building and waiting for stuff to happen.  Though you can be a real asset to the team. Similar to the medic.

Sniper, difficult to master fun to play.

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Turtlefuzz

Medic is a great class to begin with.
    Your job isn't too hard to fulfill, but most importantly, you can observe what your teammates do and learn from them.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

Play as heavy or pyro, easy for beginners.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The best advice I can give is to not listen to any advice.

I tried forever to look for some secret information I wasn't privy too. Truth is though, it doesn't exsist. The only thing that helps you out there is experience. Find a class and stick with it, eventually you'll get good with it and either move on to a different class or master your already developed abilities. Everything: strategies, map knowledge, class weaknesses and strengths; comes from experience. Sure you can read up on it, but you aren't going to understand how to take down a Pyro as a Soldier until you've done it again and again and again.

Oh yes, you'll die. A lot I might add. However that's the price you pay for being new. If we went easy on ya, you wouldn't learn the lessons you need to when it comes time to shine.

If you do take any advice away from this topic, let it be this. Whether you realize it or not you are intergral to your team's sucess. You aren't going to take down the enitre enemy base by yourself, you probably won't even be able to make a dent in it. Defense is important, as is taking out key targets like Medics and Engineers setting up near your spawn. If you do use the Wikis and guides, use them to find your prey. Start small and work your way up, and eventually you'll be kicking arse with the best of them.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By regularassmilk

Practice, and Practice, and Sandvich.
    And Don't Die.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Belonpopo

I got it on the 360 and here are my tips. 

1. Don't get addicted to the engineer. It is easy to get addicted to the engineer because of his easy turret kills 
         2. Master more than one class. Play as multiple classes so you can be an all around good player. 
         3. Master counter classing. practice killing scouts (damn scouts) and be sure to practice your melee skills 
         4. Team work. Stay close to medics and palce dispensers wisely also stay out of heavys way and leave the sniping to the masters (not me I suck)  

Have fun hope this helped.

WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By WildFire
    @Ket87: Check out the Team Fortress 2 Wiki, GotFrag and if you're planning on becoming a serious player start looking at leagues like CEVO, TWL, ETF2, etc. Generally you only get better by playing with players that are better and take it from me (I've played well over 4000 hours of Team Fortress 2 and have won various CEVO / TWL #1 - #5 Places) this is 100% true, check out any of the larger TF2 Communities to find good players. 

I personally play at SourceOP, having played on every other major community ([iO], SiX, No Heroes, Lotus, Hyped, etc) and achieving Ranks 1 - 5 on all of them (Based on HLStats CE or X, etc) SourceOP is probably one of the better places to play, the owner of SourceOP (DF) works closely with and around the Team Fortress 2 Community, he's responsible for both the release of Idling, Patching of Idling, Creation of TF2Items.com, and SourceMod which is by far the most popular and used Team Fortress 2 Modification that is basically required for all TF2 servers.

Looks like an Advertisement :P, just check out some "Frag Videos" for Team Fortress 2 (See below for the "Best" Frag Videos) and then mimic what they do for a while until you can develop your own style, you're not going to become "Pro" overnight, it's taken me a lot of practice and play time to get where I am today.

These are in order of Best to Worst (All of these Videos are extremely good though)

DrJustice (Team Druidz, Professional Top5 Demomen in TF2)

Reptile (Teamless Currently, Professional, Top 5 Everything)

Auto-Aim (Various People, Professional / Semi-Professional, Top 1 - 10 Players)

Check out the Team Fortress 2 section at PldX for other great Team Fortress 2 Videos

PS: I've written some basic "Guides" to the Demo and Soldier, read them if you wish, there's some Basic Tips, Information, Strategies and other great advice.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio

Use the Pyro and hold Mouse 1 + W.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seedofpower

Gather some friends and work together. Each class plays differently, just find one that you like and practice with that guy.

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gahzoo

Remember, when playing as Sniper, ALWAYS bodyshot. 

I cannot stress this enough, do it for awhile and you will find out why.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dbz1995

Well, why do you suck?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138

Follow this video 

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By izzygraze

Look up "Baron's pub" in the steam groups. It'll give you a list of servers which are great to play on and the regulars are really nice.

Youtube videos are very good as everyone has said. Keep in mind though that TF2 gets major updates every few months which change some of the tactics, because of new weapons and class balancing, so not all tactics will still be valid.

#1 tip: learn how to spot spies. Mainly..look behind you every few seconds and keep your back to a wall when stationary. There is no FF, so shoot everyone to make sure they are not a spy. They will bleed if  
    they are a spy. 

There isn't much advice I can give you without going into detail. Each class plays differently and thus needs its own writeup. Just try each one out and see which one you like the best. When you unlock the new guns, try it out and see if you like that class any better now.

I started out as a soldier. That was a long time ago but it might be a good beginning class. Or try engineer and watch what other players do for a bit, or even a medic. Can never have too many medics.

Just don't be afraid to die. It's deathmatch, no need to constantly shoot around a corner. You're gonna die...face it.

@jonoy52 said:

1. scout : Its pretty hard to play and u will need to have a totaly lag free computer to really master it but with some training u will make it 
    Really? I've found that lag enhances my scout playing ability. Noone hits the lagging scout ;).
    dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dieguy

Try medic or if that doesn't work play pyro and hold W+M1
    HockeyJohnston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HockeyJohnston

Get good at switching (by 1, 2, and 3) your weapons and learn what the ranges are for each one. Beginners don't tend to understand that melee gets a crit about 1/4th of the time, so it's well worth your while to start punching once someone's all up in your face. 

Also, did you know: you can tell from the audio cue whether a sentry is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. It's a faint 'beep' or 'beep-beep' (for level 2) or 'beep-beep-beep' (lvl 3).  

And if you play Engi, don't babysit your stuff. Get your shotgun out and go earn your extra metal with kills. Your sentry can mop up whatever you don't finish.

FullmetalPopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By FullmetalPopo

well as long  as you've played any other fps then you don't need help... well that is unless you're retarded
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoelTGM

Try medic+heavy.  Here's a video of my bro playing that way with one of his friends... kind of ruined a pub game though.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

Uber the Sniper as often as you can.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By sjschmidt93

Avoid playing scouts, spys and demos, sniping can be easy, also heavies, soldiers and pyros don't require much skill.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Dalai

It just comes down to practice. You're not gonna have an easy time around all the vets who have been playing for the past few years. I suggest going Pyro or Medic in the beginning, but just experiment. Just don't stick to one class, try to master as many as you can.

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Truant19
    @Gahzoo said:
    " Remember, when playing as Sniper, ALWAYS bodyshot.  I cannot stress this enough, do it for awhile and you will find out why. "
    why? are you being sarcastic? i dont get it
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yukoei

Attack the giant enemy crabs weak point for massive damage.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockanomics

I heard GiantBomb.com has a lot of cool tips for the game. 

(I've spent hours and hours on the character pages so I'm hoping it doesn't go to waste)

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yukoei
    @Rockanomics said:
    " I heard GiantBomb.com has a lot of cool tips for the game.  (I've spent hours and hours on the character pages so I'm hoping it doesn't go to waste) "
    Lolwut?
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By august
    @turbomonkey138: Well that video is certainly a load of shit. It's almost entirely a dude killing support classes who aren't smart enough to run away. I guess that sure proves something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.