Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

The new update is stupid.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

It really is. Random drops are meant for RPGs, not action games. >:(

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Staff said:
    Has been deleted..
    it couldn't be that the latest update is stupid right? it has to be the poster...allways.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    Staff said: Has been deleted.. it couldn't be that the latest update is stupid right? it has to be the ... [more]
    You're not allowed to criticise Valve, they're above reproach, untouchable.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho

So because they managed to brilliantly integrate a feature generally found in a different genre of video game, the update sucks?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss
    Kombat said:
    So because they managed to brilliantly integrate a feature generally found in a different genre of video game, the update ... [more]
    I believe that's what he said.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

The update is awesome, and its free.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Crono

I hate the way the new items are obtained since there seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I wish there were 2 ways to get the items, the new way AND the old way.  I don't see why there is any reason we can't have both.

Valve will explain it tomorrow in a blog post they have said.  I am curious to see how the system works as I did not obtain any items, duplicate or new, during my time with the update... which was quite extensive lol.

Also, I don't understand why some people come here and bash the OP.  He isn't complaining about the content itself, just the way that your characters get new items.  That seems pretty legit, really.  I am sure like most people he is grateful it is free, and not charging for this stuff.  Hell, games like CoD and Halo get off charging people for just maps.  Valve adds more than just new places to kill people, they also add new ways!  Thanks Valve!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    Staff said: Has been deleted.. it couldn't be that the latest update is stupid right? it has to be the ... [more]
    Exactly, it can't be. Nice to know you understand.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9  Edited By DrRandle

Baaah! I hate free stuff! Baaaah!

The reason for the random drops is because of snot-nosed punk players farming achievements and getting their stuff illegitimately. This is a simple case of nobody being able to have nice things because of jackasses. Besides, achievements don't unlock anything in relatively every other game. This is how the game was supposed to be: people getting new weapons slowly. Valve had to change it.

Also: the new update comes with awesome new levels and weapons for two more classes: How is that stupid? I submit, sirs, that you are simply selfish jackasses. Frankly? If you don't like it, then fucking leave. I won't miss you, and Valve already has your money. Sounds win-win to me.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

The is one single line of the update that I think is stupid

"Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly targets"

So the Pyro can use flamethrower fuel to put out fire?  Weird

Railer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Railer
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    The is one single line of the update that I think is stupid"Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly ... [more]
    Air != Flamethrower Fuel ?
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @Railer: The only thing in the Flamethrower is Flamethrower fuel, ie highly flameable.  Using the Air Compression blast uses up flamethrower fuel also
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I haven't played the new update yet, but I really like the idea. It stops jerks farming achievements to get the new items in 10 minutes, when to legitimately get them it takes a lot longer

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CharlieTuna
    MattyFTM said:
    I haven't played the new update yet, but I really like the idea. It stops jerks farming achievements to get ... [more]
    There really wasn't much farming on normal servers, people just play the game, if they farm them on achievement servers they just spoil the fun for themselves I feel. That stuff can be done on 360 and PS3 also, you'll never stop it. The thing is that the achievements for me at least were a lot of fun and getting rewarded for getting them felt great, also they usually make you a better player at the class you're playing.

The new unlock system is in no way fair and after playing hours but not getting anything I have no will to grind this any more so that I just might get a new weapon. It's so goddamn random, I hate it. What's "legit" about that?

I do like the new maps.
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By xymox
    I'm actually starting to like the new update. 
    The old unlock system had no place in this game. I want to play Team Fortress 2, notTeam Achievements 2.
    This patch makes it so that you don't have to grind achievements. Some might argue "well you never HAD to grind to get them, you could earn them legitimately" -- to that I disagree. 

I'll elaborate with an example. Let's say the old system was still in place. And I hate playing as a spy. Now, even if the spy got 100 new weapons, I would never touch the spy. Why? Because to get the new toys, I'd have to play a class that I don't enjoy at all, in order to try out weapons I "might" like. That's not my idea of fun. Hence regardless of how you do it -- on achievement servers or "legitimately", it's grinding. 

This update, however, allows you to keep playing the stuff you like, and randomly get a new weapon - even for a class you're not playing. And that's cool. Because that would make me go "oh, the ambassador huh? maybe I'll check that out" and finally get to log some hours on the spy. 

Obviously the new system isn't without flaws. But at this point I feel it's the lesser of two evils. 
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CharlieTuna

You could have just used that achievement unlocker if you are so against the old system, but now you could play for 100 hours+ and still not get anything or copies of old crap you already unlocked. Add to that now that there are people afk in spawn in games waiting for the new guns but not playing.

Now I do agree that there needed to be a new system for people that don't like achievements but why not just have it as a supplement? Why a complete replacement?

Or give the players that unlock stuff some incentive and unlock everything as soon as the update hits, like a gold sniper revolver or something, just make it cosmetic.

They really screwed up here IMO.

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
    ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

So I am assuming this is the PC version, correct?

Railer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Railer
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    @Railer: The only thing in the Flamethrower is Flamethrower fuel, ie highly flameable. Using the Air Compression blast uses up ... [more]
    It's a air compression blast. It doesnt spit out fuel when you use it (except when using the primary function obviosly).
    JaxDaxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JaxDaxter

i dont think the way you get the weapons is stupid or anything like that. the problem is that it doesn't reward people who play for a long time (or does i'm still not entirely sure about how you get weapons now). But may I say that the spy and sniper achievements are really good.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Now that I've played the update a bit, and heard other peoples stories, it does sound a bit weird and slightly broken. But valve take community feedback very seriously, so I'd imagine they'll refine the system in the near future.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    RockPaperShotgun have an update on the situation from Robin Walker:

“As in everything else we do, we want to iterate, so this is really the first step towards our desired implementation. We also think we have bugs in the system as well, since we’re seeing some players not finding any items after a few hours of play, which is not at all how it’s tuned. We want unlockable drops to be a pretty regular occurrence for players, with the cosmetic hats being the rare finds.”

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aska

Being free is a terrible argument.

Say you order a cup of coffee, you're drinking it and really enjoy it.  I decide to come up and put a bunch of cream in it.  You don't like cream in your coffee, you don't want cream in your coffee, and now you don't want to drink your coffee.  "But it's free!", no.

I don't mind the update all that much, since I still enjoy just playing.  But I hope they change it and make the unlocks a little more frequent.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By xplodedd

thats bullshit, this is good for players who don't get the achievements, as a source of inspiration to keep playing.

they will fix the system in the near future.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By mracoon

I've played for a few hours and all I've unlocked was the Sandvich (which I already have). I'm sure Valve will update it soon to make it work better because they always do. Apart from that I think Payload Race is really fun new mode though it took me a while to get used to Pipeline because it's so big and varied.

Avatar image for jollywhitegiant
    jollywhitegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By jollywhitegiant
    The system, until Valve implements item trading, is geared towards players who have few or no unlocks. If I was a new player with no items, I would really appreciate the system because I could get a bunch of unlocks I didn't have fairly quickly. For people who play consistently though, its frustrating to get the same items over and over again and not be able to do anything with them.

The new unlock system with a trading mechanic would be great. Valve should have released them simultaneously.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It seems that the unlock balancing has been changed. I've been getting items much more regularly now. I've got 3 today, and I've only played for an hour or two. Whereas before they seemed incredibly rare. It seems much better, and I prefer this to the old system.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Systech

I like this added element of RPGness, but if you liked getting weapons through achievements, you can still do that.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I think it's a cool idea but the implementation hasn't worked properly.  I've played roughly 12 hours since the release of the update and all I've managed to get are another 2 Flare Guns, another Backburner and another Axetinguisher.  All of which I had.  

It seems like it takes a long time to get any items and doesn't reward playing well.  Maybe if you had a 1% chance of getting a new unlock every time you earn 5 points would reward people for playing well or maybe the system should ensure you get an unlock every 2 hours of play at the very least.

People seem to be fustrated for 2 reasons:
    1. They want the new stuff and they want it now
    2. There's no other way to unlock the new equipment
    It seems Valve designed the system for the long run.  Right now, few have the new unlocks, after 2 months of playing, everybody will have the unlocks.  The more patient and loyal players of TF2 will get all of the unlocks eventually.  The people who join a team which has 6 Spies on and decides to play Spy want the unlocks now.  If Valve allowed Spies ans Snipers to unlock their new equipment through achievements we'd be seeing a lot less bitching.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Dizzyhippos

this sums it up 10 hours played + 16 achievements = 0 unlocks

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pazy

Personally im hating the new system of unlocking stuff, though im loving the added maps and weapons. Before there was a tangable goal (though I never really aimed for acheivments, I just like getting them as I play) to get stuff now it just seems to be me watching for a line of text to appear on my screen and people complaining about duplicates. I wish they would go back to the old system personally, even if people "gamed" the system they usually did it on farming servers and the only effect it had on my game was that people had diffrent weapons from me, but people still have diffrent weapons from me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.