Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

It's Finally Over, I've Finally Done It...

• 60 results
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By The_A_Drain

I've finally finished The Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I've been urged countless times to finish this game, reassured by others it would get better the more involved I became with the storyline, the further along I got, and you know what? I'd love to say that I was washed away in a sea of classic fantasy and loved every minute of it, but my actual experience was one of boredom, frustration and anger at the fact people not only accept this drivel but hail it as one of the greatest RPG experiences of all time.

To call me inexperienced in the realm of RPGs would be to insult me, i've been there since the release of games someone my age should barely even know about, let alone have played inside out, such as Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout, Divine Divinity, several Ultima games, i've played and enjoyed many many JRPGs and other classic CPRGs from a time before I could even read, including previous entries in the Elder Scrolls series.

Yet somehow, I still cannot get it together, I still absolutely hate Oblivion with a passion that burns as hot as the sun. Everything about it just seems wrong, devoid of life or emotion, i'm completely unable to care for anyone or anything in this shiny, randomly generated, lifeless world. I finally got it together to complete the main storyline and i'm just as hopelessly out of place as I was at the beginning of the storyline, on the very last leg I found myself not even reading the text anymore, just skipping it, I mean if I didn't care about the story by the time I had closed the great gate, I certainly wasn't going to care after that abominable ending. I go through all that trouble to find and protect the little shit and he goes and sacrifices himself? Not only is that as predictable as the sunrise, but it's utterly infuriating.

Basicly, the short of the long is that after 6 arduous hours swinging a sword without strategy or poise, i've finally got it out of the way and I can indeed confirm I still dislike every portion of the game. But hey, at least it's an easy 1000 achievement points, right? That's right, I did all the boring ass side quests too, guess how many times I contracted Porphyric Hemophilia? Yeah, a fuckton, worst decision ever to put that in a game in my opinion. If I wanted all the fun (assuming I was having any in the first place at least) sucked out of my game, I would flush the disc down the toilet or break my analogue sticks, or remove every key from my keyboard. If I want to play a vampire, I will get out my copy of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I don't need either of those things, so don't fucking turn me into a vampire K? 

Disclaimer: You've every right to love the game, please continue doing so :) It just seems that I hold the same opinion as the majority of Oblivion fans yet in reverse, I fucking hated Oblivion, but loved Fallout 3 to bits for it's vibrance, sense of life and varied quest structure. Whereas a lot of Oblivion fans decry Fallout 3 for being lifeless and devoid of satisfaction. 

So yeah, basicly, I just cannot enjoy this game at all, i've tried god knows i've tried, I guess it's just one of thosr things eh?

Edit: Also, Porphyric Hemophilia is not a bit like the lore surrounding becoming a Vampire, you become delirious, get lots of blood clots and then die. You do not gain super strength, speed, and an almighty fear of sunlight.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

I've finally finished The Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I've been urged countless times to finish this game, reassured by others it would get better the more involved I became with the storyline, the further along I got, and you know what? I'd love to say that I was washed away in a sea of classic fantasy and loved every minute of it, but my actual experience was one of boredom, frustration and anger at the fact people not only accept this drivel but hail it as one of the greatest RPG experiences of all time.

To call me inexperienced in the realm of RPGs would be to insult me, i've been there since the release of games someone my age should barely even know about, let alone have played inside out, such as Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout, Divine Divinity, several Ultima games, i've played and enjoyed many many JRPGs and other classic CPRGs from a time before I could even read, including previous entries in the Elder Scrolls series.

Yet somehow, I still cannot get it together, I still absolutely hate Oblivion with a passion that burns as hot as the sun. Everything about it just seems wrong, devoid of life or emotion, i'm completely unable to care for anyone or anything in this shiny, randomly generated, lifeless world. I finally got it together to complete the main storyline and i'm just as hopelessly out of place as I was at the beginning of the storyline, on the very last leg I found myself not even reading the text anymore, just skipping it, I mean if I didn't care about the story by the time I had closed the great gate, I certainly wasn't going to care after that abominable ending. I go through all that trouble to find and protect the little shit and he goes and sacrifices himself? Not only is that as predictable as the sunrise, but it's utterly infuriating.

Basicly, the short of the long is that after 6 arduous hours swinging a sword without strategy or poise, i've finally got it out of the way and I can indeed confirm I still dislike every portion of the game. But hey, at least it's an easy 1000 achievement points, right? That's right, I did all the boring ass side quests too, guess how many times I contracted Porphyric Hemophilia? Yeah, a fuckton, worst decision ever to put that in a game in my opinion. If I wanted all the fun (assuming I was having any in the first place at least) sucked out of my game, I would flush the disc down the toilet or break my analogue sticks, or remove every key from my keyboard. If I want to play a vampire, I will get out my copy of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I don't need either of those things, so don't fucking turn me into a vampire K? 

Disclaimer: You've every right to love the game, please continue doing so :) It just seems that I hold the same opinion as the majority of Oblivion fans yet in reverse, I fucking hated Oblivion, but loved Fallout 3 to bits for it's vibrance, sense of life and varied quest structure. Whereas a lot of Oblivion fans decry Fallout 3 for being lifeless and devoid of satisfaction. 

So yeah, basicly, I just cannot enjoy this game at all, i've tried god knows i've tried, I guess it's just one of thosr things eh?

Edit: Also, Porphyric Hemophilia is not a bit like the lore surrounding becoming a Vampire, you become delirious, get lots of blood clots and then die. You do not gain super strength, speed, and an almighty fear of sunlight.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne
    shiny, randomly generated, lifeless world

This is how I feel about every WRPG and "free world" game in general. Lots of variables and generators don't make your game good. It takes away every opportunity for life, storytelling and pacing.

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By baba2

I adore Oblivion, but the main quest glitched on me about 2 years ago and I haven't returned to it since, apart from to play Shivering Isles.

It's a shame, but well done for doing it! I wish I had the patience to start over.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By atejas
    You didn't miss much with the story, trust me.
    Arena and Daggerfall were the only ones with randomly generated environments, although Oblivion's might as well have been.
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    shiny, randomly generated, lifeless world
    This is how I feel about every WRPG and "free world" game in general. Lots of variables and generators don't make your game good. It takes away every opportunity for life, storytelling and pacing. "
    You might try Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex or Vampire Bloodlines. Compared to stuff like Arcanum and Fallout, they're pretty linear.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @The_A_Drain said:
     "...i'm completely unable to care for anyone or anything in this shiny, randomly generated, lifeless world."
    thats exactly how I feel about Fallout 3 but in reverse. I love Oblivion but hate Fallout 3. After about 13 hours into I was like "I am done with this boring, lifeless game"

P.S- you still haven't finished Oblivion because you still have the Knights of the Nine and The Shivering Isle expansion packs. Also, The Shivering Isle adds another 250 points to your gamer score. 
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @atejas: By randomly generated, I meant that the landscape itself is just a heightmap made in Photoshop in 5 seconds, and an algorithm that randomly scatters trees, rocks and shrubs around the place. The only difference is that this one is only done once :P It doesn't feel lovingly crafted like Fallout 3 did, it just felt like they generated it quickly and simply threw some ruins about the place. 

@baba2: Yeah thats what happened to me the first time too :(
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Mordukai:

I have finished it, and i've no intention of spending money to put myself through another 2 - 4 hours of immense boredome for 250 points. Maybe if the second hand price of the GOTY edition drops low enough that I dont care anymore, i'll trade my vanilla edition towards it and go for those extra points, but for now you couldnt pay me to go back into Oblivion.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @atejas said:
    You might try Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex or Vampire Bloodlines.
    I played Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex both for a couple of hours. They didn't do anything for me.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Meowayne:

That's a shame. You should try Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, it has a lot going for it and while it has some elements of open world, it is mostly linear and the world itself is very small. It works mostly on the multitude of different ways it present to solve puzzles and quests, although unfortunately it boils down to the last 2 hours of the game being pure combat. Nevertheless, it's a great experience I reccomend everybody try.
    TheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheEnd

I hate Oblivion as well. I think Morrowind was a lot better than that piece of crap. And to anyone that thinks Oblivion is "massive", check out Morrowind's map please. Oblivion's whole map is like one little corner in Morowind.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

The more and more I play Oblivion, the more I see how much room for improvement there is. When I first played it, it blew my mind and I thought I was playing a masterpiece of RPG gaming. Now I still enjoy it every now and again, but my main issue with it is the combat and the animations. Also, I HATE how everything levels up with you. Fallout 3 was a huge improvement to Bethesda's formula and I definitely can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls game. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SathingtonWaltz:

The level issue contributes something like 50% to my boredom, even if I loved the source material and content, I would still be bored feckless, because everything levels with you, and your character can do everything, gain every skill, etc, there is no sense of progression, and not value to progression at all. I mean, the only reason I bothered to level up past level 1 is because the game required it for one quest. I'm all for a streamlined experience, but letting me waggle a sword around until the final quest is borderline stupidity. 

I agree that Fallout 3 improved upon the formula in every way imaginable, the map might be smaller but it is much more dense, there is much more to see and while travel is still a factor (as it should be in these open world games) it is not a direct hindrance. The way they handled levels in Fallout 3 is the absolute best way you could in any open world game imo, to make areas level with you as you go along, but remain at that particular level once you have discovered them, that way you can still play the game any way you want to, but you can also go back and feel your progression ad your character has evolved.

One thing they still need to do though, and I mean this, they HAVE to do this in the next game or I will go down their and rip heads off myself. Put a light floating say a foot away from every characters face, and have it set not to cast shadows, and only come on when you talk to them. I mean, in an open world game where characters move about as much as they do here, its impossible to design an environment that flatters your characters at all times, but for gods sake jury rig a solution dont just fucking leave it. Take the regulator woman in Fallout 3 for example, and many other characters suffer the same fate, she is supposed to be a good charactery et everytime I talk with her it sends chills down my spine, back lit, black eyes, she looks like the devil for gods sakes. It's a major issue with bethesda games.

My other major problem, which was thankfully fixed completely in Fallout 3 was the character models and voice actors, now, unless they were hoping to convey a race of people who are inbred beyond the scope of even the most horrid internet jokes, there was no excuse for using the same faces and voice actors so often. I mean, it's been joked about before, but you can literally watch someone stop and have a conversation with themselves, or two people greet you at once in the same voice with the same greeting, sounds eerily like a speaker problem. It's utterly ridiculous.

Also, I love Sean Bean, but I felt so sorry for him having to spout all that corny shite, it just sounds awful. I mean, it's hard to write fantasy stuff that doesnt sound like tripe, which is why i'm kinda surprised people even try anymore, but he musta felt like shit in that booth reading those lines.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I enjoyed the hell out of Elder Scrolls III and IV (still need to try to play the original two), but I wasn't really as impressed with the story in the fourth as I was with the third.  Neither are Shakespeare, mind you, but the third was definitely passable for a video game.  I'd like to see the fifth blend politics and personal tales, with more unique characteristics to more major NPC's.

Then again, that's something I really want to see developed in all games, so take it with a grain of salt.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By buzz_clik

Oblivion is in my pile of games that I've played for an hour or so then cast aside. I'm sure I'll get back to it someday. Needless to say, your (well written) rant has not caused any burning desire to flare up.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

I really need to go back and finish this game.  I think I was only 30 or so hours into before I stopped to play another game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Whoever told you the main storyline is a good aspect of the game is out of his mind. It's one of the most horrible. Oblivion's only good if you can get down with the open world aspect, but in my opinion several gameplay design choices completely destroy that as well (level-decided loot and enemies make exploration a boring and pointless  retread in every location). I still had many hours of decent enjoyment wandering about and exploring or doing side quests, but it soon grew tedious. I see why people like it, but I can't see how anyone can recommend the main story.

And yes, Fallout 3 managed to make the world much more interesting and fun to explore, with actual unique locations and what not, instead of repeated dungeons over and over, though the main storyline was pretty badly presented there too. At least it gives me hope for Elder Scrolls V since Bethesda shows they can still improve in some ways, even if Oblivion was a downgrade from Morrowind.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

Sounds like me and Mass Effect. I fucking cant stand it, it's so inane.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

I played Oblivion on my PC. I think I spent as much time playing the game as I did modding it. I then learned to use the construction set, thanks wiki, and made my very own hole in the ground to store stuff in the main city. I liked Oblivion, but it was more about how I played it than how it played me.

I'm playing Morrowind right now, still modding. I have some more work to do. Too many hi-rez textures brought my PC to it's knees, so some more work needs to be done.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    " I played Oblivion on my PC. I think I spent as much time playing the game as I did modding it. I then learned to use the construction set, thanks wiki, and made my very own hole in the ground to store stuff in the main city. I liked Oblivion, but it was more about how I played it than how it played me.I'm playing Morrowind right now, still modding. I have some more work to do. Too many hi-rez textures brought my PC to it's knees, so some more work needs to be done. "
    Morrowind...I may try that, to be honest I've never fully beaten it. The graphics kinda throw me off though. Do the high rez textures look good?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Congrats...I think...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Claude
    @CL60 said:
    " @Claude said:
    " I played Oblivion on my PC. I think I spent as much time playing the game as I did modding it. I then learned to use the construction set, thanks wiki, and made my very own hole in the ground to store stuff in the main city. I liked Oblivion, but it was more about how I played it than how it played me.I'm playing Morrowind right now, still modding. I have some more work to do. Too many hi-rez textures brought my PC to it's knees, so some more work needs to be done. "
    Morrowind...I may try that, to be honest I've never fully beaten it. The graphics kinda throw me off though. Do the high rez textures look good? "
    Yeah, they look good, but you'll need an 8800gt or higher to run everything. Check this blog out if you want to try it on your PC. Some of the links are gone for filefront, but if you look around you can find what you need.

Read this Morrowind Expanded.

Another good source for modding. http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

DrainDeimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrainDeimo
    you know what i didn't care for it either or Fallout 3 for that matter. I'm not sure why they just never sucked me in.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Claude said:
    Morrowind...I may try that, to be honest I've never fully beaten it. The graphics kinda throw me off though. Do the high rez textures look good? "
    Yeah, they look good, but you'll need an 8800gt or higher to run everything. Check this blog out if you want to try it on your PC. Some of the links are gone for filefront, but if you look around you can find what you need.

Another good source for modding. http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm "
    I've got an 8800GTS640
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Claude said:

Another good source for modding. http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm "
    I can't find Vality’s Morrowind Grass Mod.
    Avatar image for crazycrazydoctor
    CrazyCrazyDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CrazyCrazyDoctor
    @The_A_Drain:

Some aspects of Bloodlines felt completely awesome, while others felt like they hadn't been play-tested at all. I guess a better word is incomplete, though not as incomplete as KotOR 2, which totally would have been a way better game to me than the original had it actually been finished. Anyway, I still came away from Bloodlines thinking it was a great game, but also wondered what could have been.

I loved about half of Oblivion, and tolerated the other half. I can completely understand how you could hate that game, especially if you played through Morrowind, which while having more primitive graphics and very little voice acting in comparison, had a way better world and story going for it. Bethesda went from non-traditional fantasy with dwarf robots and mushroom forests to completely traditional fantasy with all the boring stuff that comes with that. I'll admit, Shivering Isles had a far more interesting everything with a fairly satisfying conclusion, but the gameplay went pretty much unchanged, so you would still hate it.

Lastly, Planescape: Torment was the best game I've ever played. It's always awesome when I hear of someone else who's played through it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
    @CL60 said:
    I've got an 8800GTS640 "
    You should be good. I have a Single core P4 3.2ghz and a 7900 GTO, so all that stuff killed my rig. You should be good, probably with all those mods mentioned above, you'll get about 30 fps outside and inside should be well above that.

When you mod something, it's all trial and error and what your rig can handle. Try it "Morrowind", you might like it with a new coat of paint.

Yeah I couldn't find it either. I might try a different grass mod.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm sorry, but I actually do like Oblivion more than Fallout 3. Sure, it's a lifeless world filled with generic civilians who all say the same thing as you murder them with your sword, but I can stand RPGs with half-assed Role-Playing elements as long as they have good gameplay (thus my love of the Might and Magic series). It is a "more than the sum of it's parts" game for me and also was the reason I bought a Xbox 360.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I can understand why people might hate Oblivion, and they are entitled to do so.

Oh, and for the record, I despise Morrowind. The combat is ass (even for a Bethesda game), the World is just as lifeless as every other Elder Scrolls game, but there is no fast traveling so you have to walk everywhere at a snails pace.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I've got an 8800GTS640 "
    You should be good. I have a Single core P4 3.2ghz and a 7900 GTO, so all that stuff killed my rig. You should be good, probably with all those mods mentioned above, you'll get about 30 fps outside and inside should be well above that.When you mod something, it's all trial and error and what your rig can handle. Try it "Morrowind", you might like it with a new coat of paint.Yeah I couldn't find it either. I might try a different grass mod. "
    I found some screenshots of this Vality guys, and my god, his Morrowind looks incredible. Too bad his site is down, I would download some of his stuff.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nasar7
    @CL60: You can find his stuff on Planet Elder Scrolls or TES Nexus I believe.

And yeah, I agree with you 100% OP. Oblivion was broken for far too many reasons.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @CL60: You can find his stuff on Planet Elder Scrolls or TES Nexus I believe.

And yeah, I agree with you 100% OP. Oblivion was broken for far too many reasons.
    "
    Yeah, I found all of it except the grass one.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By AgentJ

I think my biggest problem with Elder Scrolls in general was the combat. beyond that i could have enjoyed it, but that's a pretty important part. That may also be why I loved Fallout 3 so much, and why I want to go back and explore more even when I have other games I want and need to play. 

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nasar7

I can't find it either. Weird. In any case, Morrowind is a joy to play with or without the new graphics mods.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

What version is the grass mod? Because I found it but it says BETA.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nasar7

Not sure, but you can always give it a go and get rid of it later if its too buggy or w/e.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I've got an 8800GTS640 "
    You should be good. I have a Single core P4 3.2ghz and a 7900 GTO, so all that stuff killed my rig. You should be good, probably with all those mods mentioned above, you'll get about 30 fps outside and inside should be well above that.When you mod something, it's all trial and error and what your rig can handle. Try it "Morrowind", you might like it with a new coat of paint.Yeah I couldn't find it either. I might try a different grass mod. "
    I'm having trouble with the MGE, it says "unable to load screen resolution from registry" and in the thing itself if I click change resolution it comes up with another error saying "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_A_Drain

Wow lotsa comments overnight haha.

In reponse to some, I also feel the storyline in Fallout 3 was pretty crappy, at least the last third of it, but I was much happier once the broken steel DLC opened up the ending.

I've modded stuff routinely throughout my life, and Oblivion has a nice little system, but I never got into modding it seriously mainly because I didnt like the game I guess.

As for Morrowind, I really enjoyed what I played, but never got around to finishing it, and it's a shame because every since I saw the 11 minute speedrun I can't take the game seriously :P Maybe i'll return to it someday, I only have the Xbox version though.
    Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Themanohall

I liked parts of Oblivion more than others; I really enjoyed the Thieves Guild, but loathed the main questline (which I had to rush through because my friend wanted his game back) and the arena, and I didn't even attempt the Mage's Guild, it sounded awful. Most of the time I spent in that game was random sidequests, which I found more entertaining than anything else in the game, which is kind of sad.

On the other hand, Fallout 3 was probably my game of the year last year. I've played 60+ hours of that game with only Operation: Anchorage, and it still hasn't gotten boring. Maybe it's just because I like the setting better, but it just seems like a better game to me, even with the bugs and glitches. I'm borrowing my friends copy for now, but I'm planning on buying GotY edition when it comes out.

EDIT: My friend who let me borrow the games thinks I'm a psycho, by the way, He loves Oblivion, but thinks Fallout 3 is mediocre and bland.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've never felt any Bethesda game has had a particularly strong narrative. At least the main narratives in both Oblivion and Fallout were drivel.

That said, I haven't sincerely disliked a Bethesda game. I think the point about the combat is solid--Bethesda has never really been able to make combat a selling point in any of their games, though Fallout probably gets the closest.

It's something about the immersion/atmosphere factor. I love the feeling of just galavanting around the worldspace they've set out for me.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By bwooduhs

Over the holidays i'm back into playing Oblivion too and am slowly doing the main quest which i never did beat in the 100+ hours i played the game.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By makari

The best part of the story is Patrick Stewart, and he dies in the tutorial level.

I still haven't bothered to finish the main quest line of Oblivion. I played enough of the sidequests and random dungeons to get my fill of it and never really came back.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FunExplosions

i completely agree with everything you said about oblivion. i actually havn't beaten the main story yet, for the same reason you hadn't for so long. i epecially hate the way the whole world seems lifeless, just like you said. from the horrible AI, to the pathetic movement animations, to the 6-person voice-cast of npc's that spoke with zero body emotion. i'm glad i read this, because i thought i was alone in this thinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I loved Oblivion, great game, but you do make some fair points.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By armaan8014

Try the witcher.. it's an awesome experience

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By 71Ranchero

Nevere expected to agree with The A Drain on anything but I do. Oblivion is just horrible. How did this game get so popular?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yeah i found it lifeless and robot-ic and stopped playing after a few hours, then again i did the same with every RPG i played

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yeah now that I'm looking back on it, I never did care about the characters either.

I guess that's why I turned evil, so I could kill everyone and no one really cared.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kohe321

I remember the first time I played it, I felt pretty much like you and quit after four or five hours. I picked it up again some months later, though, ready to give it another try, and I enjoyed it much more.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Nick

Do you hate the game because you didn't enjoy it? Or did you not enjoy it because you hate it?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Nick said:
    "

Do you hate the game because you didn't enjoy it? Or did you not enjoy it because you hate it?

"
    What?
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By THE_END

Dude what class was your character?  What did you play as?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.