So Jeremy Soule isn't doing the music for Elder Scrolls: Online..

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/12/talking-about-the-music-of-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Will there be a familiar composer coming back to work on certain themes?
MF: Uh… we're still working on that.

What a sad excuse for an Elder Scrolls game! His music has been an iconic mark of the series since Morrowind. And they haven't even got him on board? He should be making ALL the music or at least major parts and he probably won't even do the theme. It's all being made by in-house composers and out-sourced.
#2 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This game is sounding better and better by the day!

I'd rather have Jeremy Soule working elsewhere than this game to be brutally honest, so I'm kind of happy to hear this.

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

How many more nails do we need to finish sealing this coffin? This game is sounding worse and worse with each announcement.

#4 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2011 posts) -

Did you expect anything else?

Plus, the music of MMO's is designed to be music that won't grate on you (or really be noticed) after several days of play time. I mean if I heard some of the boring stuff from, well, most TES games he's worked on over that long of a time period I'd end up muting that shit, defeating the purpose of the whole thing.

The only music I could stand in an Elder Scrolls MMO is, of course:

#5 Posted by Village_Guy (2596 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Ben_H said:

This game is sounding worse and worse with each announcement.

FIGHT!

But eh, I don't really care too much in this case, the majority of the music in the Elder Scrolls games have been fairly generic, with a few tracks standing out.

#6 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

But eh, I don't really care too much in this case, the majority of the music in the Elder Scrolls games have been fairly generic, with a few tracks standing out.

What did you say? Couldn't hear you over the sound of this AWESOME music!

#7 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

He's already doing the music for one MMO.

#8 Edited by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Jeremy Soule is way overrated. He relies too much on the same beats and sounds. Although he seems to have gotten better in the Skyrim soundtrack. The main theme and some of the combat music is great.

Still kinda funny. NOTHING about that MMO sounds appealing.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

As if this MMO didn't need another reason for me to not care. Geez internet, way to go.

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

How else can we make this game have nothing to do with Elder Scrolls?

#11 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

It's a side project done by a separate team, I think it makes sense they don't include him as well. Plus MMO music is not exactly a heralded sub-genre of game music.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -

Majority of time I player Oblivion and Skyrim I just listened to my own music anyways so this doesn't matter to me. I'm just done with mmos I think.

#13 Posted by SuperSambo (2868 posts) -

The music isn't anything that special, or at least it isn't something that could not be easily equalled.

#14 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3211 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Jeremy Soule is way overrated. He relies too much on the same beats and sounds.

He does so for the Elder Scrolls series as do the composers for Star Wars. It's something charming about it.

#15 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Did you expect anything else?

Plus, the music of MMO's is designed to be music that won't grate on you (or really be noticed) after several days of play time. I mean if I heard some of the boring stuff from, well, most TES games he's worked on over that long of a time period I'd end up muting that shit, defeating the purpose of the whole thing.

The only music I could stand in an Elder Scrolls MMO is, of course:

Jeremy Soule did a fantastic job scoring all of the Guild Wars games. Though, honestly this project seemed like a bad idea from the start, so I don't really care. I know I probably won't have any interest in it based on their press releases thus far.

#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

The music isn't anything that special, or at least it isn't something that could not be easily equalled.

Everything isn't special to you.

#17 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -

So what you're saying is that Guild Wars 2 will be a better Elder Scrolls game than TESO. Thats my conclusion anyway.

#18 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1999 posts) -

How many failed MMOs do there have to be before game companies realize that if you don't put every ounce of effort and resources into the game then it's doomed to fail? Bethesda is gonna lose a shitload of money making this thing, it's sad really.

#19 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Best not to attach one's name to such an abomination as Elder Scrolls Online.

Of course that's somewhat premature to say, but what's know about it currently, is as far away from what I want out of an Elder Scrolls MMO as it gets. They'd better have spent that time and money and effort to figure out an innovative way of adding some kind of online aspect to the regular Elder Scrolls RPG gameplay experience - something in the vein of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls - something with the potential to actually mesh with core Elder Scrolls mechanics - rather than just skinning Elder Scrolls on tired MMORPG standards.

Luckily Jeremy Soule is attached to Guild Wars 2, which is definitely worthy of his talent. Listen in!

#20 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

@Ghostiet said:

Jeremy Soule is way overrated. He relies too much on the same beats and sounds.

He does so for the Elder Scrolls series as do the composers for Star Wars. It's something charming about it.

Oh, his music for the TES series fits very well. It's just that a lot of his other soundtracks (like the Guild Wars one) sound kind of interchangeable. That's why my favorite OST of his is the one for Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban.
#21 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Was never really a fan of Jeremy Soule. Other than the title screen melody he recycles, nothing's really stood out at me.

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12532 posts) -

After day-one, who listens to the background music in an MMO anyway? I wind up listening to podcasts or something I have in my iTunes library.

#23 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

This was very obvious from the trailer. It sounded sort of like the Morrowind theme, but not Jeremy Soule.

Notch this one up as another reason why this isn't an Elder Scrolls game, I guess.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
How many more nails do we need to finish sealing this coffin? This game is sounding worse and worse with each announcement.
There's no room for any more nails.  The coffin is built entirely out of nails at this point.
#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

I listen to a lot of video game soundtracks, and Jeremy Soule just seems like one of those things that I just won't 'get'.  Even in the realm of string and wind pieces, I'd much rather have Jesper Kyd.  And I've never heard him do anything other than that.

#26 Posted by RVonE (4642 posts) -

Soule's master piece, IMO:

#27 Posted by SASnake (342 posts) -

*looks at copy of Skyrim Soundtrack signed by Jeremy Soule* Ill just play this over and over.

#28 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

just rearrange the skyrim theme and there you go, new elder scrolls music

#29 Posted by Bollard (5598 posts) -

This game is shit,

This game is shit,

This game is ab-solute shit.

What a raging piece of crap!

[recite to the Elder Scrolls theme]

#30 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Sounds like a great game! GOTY material, am I right?

Uhm...not really.

#31 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -
@Village_Guy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Ben_H said:

FIGHT!

We're on the same side, he's just less direct with his insults.
#32 Edited by cbarnes86 (558 posts) -

Started playing the beta last night and this is the menu music. I'd say I'm pretty happy with the music and feel he had at least a little hand in it...

#33 Edited by Grilledcheez (3948 posts) -

As long as he does the next REAL Elder Scrolls game, I will be happy

Edit: Oh, and the atmosphere music he makes for those games is some of the greatest music period, it perfectly fits in and MAKES the series what it is.

#34 Edited by audioBusting (1564 posts) -

@cbarnes86: Isn't some of that a variation of the Elder Scrolls main theme (as per tradition)? Because Jeremy Soule did write that.

This is news to me. It's weird how the series is well known for his composition, but he's composing for a couple of their direct competitors (i.e. Guild Wars 2 and Everquest Next).

#35 Edited by AndrewB (7635 posts) -

All I'm going to add to this thread is that you have terrible taste in music if you don't adore 90% of Jermey Soule's compositions and I'm also glad that he's obviously working on other, more important projects in the meantime.

#36 Posted by Schmollian (262 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Ben_H said:

FIGHT!

What? WHAT?!

I consider both of these tracks masterpieces

#37 Edited by cbarnes86 (558 posts) -

@andrewb said:

All I'm going to add to this thread is that you have terrible taste in music if you don't adore 90% of Jermey Soule's compositions and I'm also glad that he's obviously working on other, more important projects in the meantime.

This

#38 Posted by Village_Guy (2596 posts) -

@schmollian: I can't believe I said that, I love the music of the Elder Scrolls games... But it is a bit generic still, not bad though!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.