Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

No Zelda this year for first time this decade

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperMooseman

Source: thegamereviews.com

Every year since 1999 there has been a brand new Zelda title, but 2008 was an exception. Was this because Nintendo are taking a year off to freshen up the franchise, or have they been too busy with their controversial 'casual' titles?

1998 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
    1999 – No releases
    2000 – Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
    2001 – Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    2002 – Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA) and Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
    2003 – Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
    2004 – Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
    2005 – Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    2006 – Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    2007 – Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Link’s Crossbow Training

Take a read of this article to see some thoughts on where the Zelda franchise could go from here. Could you go without a new Zelda game for another year or two, or do you hope that the next game really does come out next year like announced?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

next year fo sho's

or maybe early the year after i guess. At least announced next year.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

It's true that Zelda needs something new, it's getting old. Phantom Hourglass did well with the touch-control, but Twilight Princess did nothing. Making the next Zelda game more mature would probably be a good thing, but Nintendo wouldn't do that. A mature Zelda title wouldn't print as much money as the usual. That said, if we don't see a new Zelda title next year my Wii is going out the window.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SpinCookie

Interesting, I didn't know there was one almost every year.  You think of the main console ones and you don't see them too often.  The handheld ones are just as solid most times.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne
    SuperMooseman said:
    Could you go without a new Zelda game for another year or two
    Of course. There's nothing special about the series anymore, save nostalgia.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

Sounds like nothing but good to me. The series could use a break.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Gameboi

I welcome the break. It will give Nintendo time to polish up whatever they are working on.

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenmnk
    Icemael said:
    "It's true that Zelda needs something new, it's getting old. Phantom Hourglass did well with the touch-control, but Twilight Princess did nothing. Making the next Zelda game more mature would probably be a good thing, but Nintendo wouldn't do that. A mature Zelda title wouldn't print as much money as the usual. That said, if we don't see a new Zelda title next year my Wii is going out the window."
    *sigh*  i hate how people are obsessed with the fact that Nintendo "prints money"  and then use it to make a viewpoint make sense
     Seriously? is getting old? People always use this excuse and its terrible.. All it dose is fill space.  Also it seems your on the NINTY is for KIDDIES band wagon, The loz series is always changing and giving middle fingers to the fans IE: majors mask or windwaker: And if you played Majouras mask there is obviously some huge amount of pointed-to-adult type of commentary thrown in.  Who cares if its targeted at kids, legos arnt for me yet i still love them, while windwaker wasnt for "me" but yet i still loved it!

Im sorry if this seems like an attack post: And i totaly agree with your last statment , we need moar hardcore games THAT i agree on . Ninty dose not support the hardcore like it used to (gamecube days)
    goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenmnk

I also want to throw in that its not Nintendo fault ITS YOUR FAULT! Think about it , EVery time theirs a "different" zelda game IE: Wind waker or Majouras mask The fans go nuts, Making Nintendo afraid of change. Sound familir? it should

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

I didn't actually notice the absence of Zelda games this year, but I am sure it will occur sometime soon. Twilight Princess was quite boring, and while I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass, I think they need to spruce up the formula to make the next game competent. But knowing, NIntendo, I am not sure if that will happen.  I will give them a chance though.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wow, I never realized they had been putting one out every year.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By fr0br0

Anybody notice how the game to be released after the break was a more original Zelda game?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar

if they had pushed link's crossbow training to next year it would fit the trend.

also 1999, no zelda was released as well.....

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Dalai

No Zelda until 2010, you heard it here first.

I don't expect another handheld game for a few years and there's been no official announcement of a new Zelda game, period.  I suspect they'll break the news at this year's E3 and release it in 2010, probably during the holiday season.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.