Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Destructoid Review up. 6/10. Can you guess who reviewed it?

• 188 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60
    Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
    deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There you go again Jim.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Good ol' Jimbo be pissing a lot of people off again.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By withateethuh

He is the Master Troll. I can atleast say he usually makes valid points, even if hes a little bit prickish about it.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Jim's points are valid though.

The game is really hard to play with KB+M and it's like the combat was built for the 360.  Also, the game isn't as "open to RPing" as Bioware games are, but I LIKE THAT, I understand that some people wouldn't.

I love, and I mean love, the first Witcher.  To me this game is a solid 85.8934569342345%.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phrosnite

I read the first two paragraphs and he wasn't lying... Rayn himself said that the game was terrible about explaining you stuff. The combat system is undercooked just like the one in the first game. Very weak third act and ending...

From what I've seen and heard I don't think that Witcher 2 deserves a 6/10(the first witcher does). I'm not suprised that the combat system is not particularly good though.

I will definitely buy it when it gets a price drop.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoLines

Haven't played it, but 6 does seem a little bit harsh.

Ehhh, it's an opinion. Whatcha gonna do?
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By hinderk

Dude didn't like the game. Get over it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

Read the review, he makes sensible points and backs them up. Get over it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Is every reviewer obliged to give it a perfect score or something?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Fallen189

Giving it a bad review for page views. Is that fat shit even trying anymore?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah, God forbid he has an opinion that's different than other reviewers. He must be a troll! It's not like he gave good reason for giving it the score he gave it.

Get the fuck over it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@KaosAngel said:
    Jim's points are valid though.The game is really hard to play with KB+M and it's like the combat was built for the 360.  Also, the game isn't as "open to RPing" as Bioware games are, but I LIKE THAT, I understand that some people wouldn't.I love, and I mean love, the first Witcher.  To me this game is a solid 85.8934569342345%.
    Developers actually said that they designed it with controller in mind.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Cincaid
    @CL60 said:
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-201752.phtml

EDIT: I love how people are telling me to get over it when I haven't even stated my opinion on it. All I gave was the score and said guess who reviewed it, because he always gives games low scores.
    No offense dude, but when you post nothing else except the topic title and the link (which I'm quite sure is considered spam?) I'm sure people will think you're raging behind your computer screen at Jim Sterling over his score.

OT, I have no opinion really since I haven't played it myself, but it sure seemed like better than 6.0 by looking at the QL.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Pretty good review. I'm only about 9 hours in and all of Jim's points are valid. I had to turn the game down to easy after dying 10 or 15 times in certain battles. And having to meditate to drink a potion is just a stupid design choice. Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.

I'm still having fun. We'll see where the game takes me.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrOldboy

too bad, sterling loves to do this. I find his reviews accurate, but to an extreme hyperbole. He tends to focus on a particular fault and overemphasize it because it annoyed him. A valid argument, but you need to review the game holistically, which I feel he tends not to do most of the time.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By abdo
    @withateethuh said:
    He is the Master Troll. I can atleast say he usually makes valid points, even if hes a little bit prickish about it.
    More like a third rate troll, definitely not a master. He's small-time.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallen189

Why are you all being so offensive to CL60 for posting this? He's just sharing it, because it sparks a discussion, and you people get all up in his grill over it, and be needlessly offensive.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves
    SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Meh. That's his opinion. I'm loving the game so far.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Fallen189 said:
    Why are you all being so offensive to CL60 for posting this? He's just sharing it, because it sparks a discussion, and you people get all up in his grill over it, and be needlessly offensive.

I know, I didn't even say anything about Jim Sterling being wrong, or him being a troll. I just said guess who reviewed it because he has a tendency to rate games low. yet people feel the need to bash me for no reason.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts
    Just read the review and in my opinion if the issues that he states the game has are actually in the game I'd have no problem with it. If he is making up shit to justify a low score for more site views then the dude is a fucking idiot. Can someone who has read this thing and played the game tell me if he is making shit up here? I was gonna invest in a good rig solely to play this and I don't want to waste my money.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FritzDude

Jim only do this for the renown and recognition.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

The good news is that when the 360 version comes out, the PC version will get the free Director's Cut like last time and everything will be fixed.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By phrosnite
    @CL60 said:
    @Fallen189 said:

I know, I didn't even say anything about Jim Sterling being wrong, or him being a troll. I just said guess who reviewed it because he has a tendency to rate games low. yet people feel the need to bash me for no reason.
    People on the internet like to presume too much.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OdinsThunder

The game isn't nearly as hard as everyone keeps going on about. If you suck at games I don't need to keep hearing about it.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Fallen189 said:

Telling him to get over it is not being needlessly offensive. He clearly thought this discussion was going to turn into a 'I hate Jim Sterling' thread. The fact that it's not, and that people accept that different people have different opinions, is a good thing, not a bad one. You shouldn't be telling us to be ashamed of ourselves, when all we're doing is defending a review score. 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrOldboy

if you look into the review, he has some very valid points.

The review is being bashed at the appropriate places, gaf and such. But if you take away the score, the review points out some major faults with the game. One I'm happy to see pointed out in reviews is the terrible lock on system. The manual lock on fails to work when geralt doesn't auto-lock on the enemy you yourself wants to lock on to. I really hope they address this in patches after the fix the performance.

waitwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By waitwhat
    No Caption Provided
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CL60
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Fallen189 said:

Telling him to get over it is not being needlessly offensive. He clearly thought this discussion was going to turn into a 'I hate Jim Sterling' thread. The fact that it's not, and that people accept that different people have different opinions, is a good thing, not a bad one. You shouldn't be telling us to be ashamed of ourselves, when all we're doing is defending a review score. 
    No I didn't.. The point of the topic was to discuss the review, I didn't come in and say "DERP DERP THIS REVIEW IS THE WORST THING EVER AND JIM STERLING SUCKS!!" I said guess who reviewed it, that's it, simply b ecause he has a tendency to give things low scores. I haven't even played the game yet ffs, I have no opinion.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By ColinWright

6 is an above average score. His text supports his score. I don't see a problem. (By above average I don't mean above-average for this game, but rather above average on their rating scale.)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fallen189
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

Get the fuck over it.

Whats the point in that? What purpose does that serve? If you're gonna be a passive agressive dickhead, then just don't bother. You should think about what you're going to post before you hit that reply button.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By hinderk
    @CL60: If the purpose of this this thread was not to bash Jim for his review then I apologies for my remark. Next time post the intent of your post in the OP so there is something to discuss. All I had to go by was the thread title( which seemed inflammatory to me) and the fact that this is at least your second thread about one of Jim's reviews.

I see nothing wrong with the review. I haven't played the game, but the review seems to justify the score.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Claude
    @CL60 said:
    @Fallen189 said:

You should have stated your opinion better when you first posted. A thread title and a link does not create great discussion.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By JJOR64

People still read Destructoid reviews?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phrosnite
    @wh4tshisface said:
    6 is an above average score. His text supports his score. I don't see a problem.
    Nowadays anything under 7 even 8 is considered crap... People really need to read the review instead of looking only at the score.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan

While I strongly disagree with his opinion, he does make some valid points no doubt.
    The game certainly doesn't deserve a 6 though, even if he is one of the few people who use the entire 1-10 scale (which at best would peg the game at 'Above Average').

But hey, opinions and such.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60
    @Claude said:
    @CL60 said:
    @Fallen189 said:

You should have stated your opinion better when you first posted. A thread title and a link does not create great discussion.
    There, I added my opinion, and what the original intent of the topic was supposed to be before everybody jumped to conclusions.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FourWude

Fat bastard Jim Sterling. Knew it was him as soon as you said Destructoid.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By abdo
    @laserbolts: He does this all the time. You can safely ignore whatever he says, and read other peoples' reviews that are more about the game and less about the reviewer trying to be "edgy and different". Personally, the best way to know if a game is worth your time and money is by asking (like-minded) players and see what they think of it. I haven't played the game so I can't really form my own opinion yet.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Marz

I think the controls were fine, and I'm guessing Sterling didn't know that the block button was bound to his vigor bar because he wrote that it didn't work sometimes. 

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Heltom92

I know it is an opinion but I find it hard to think this when he is the same person who gave AC 2 a 2/10.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Claude
    @CL60: Much better, let's see how it goes now.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Romination

Isn't complaining about Jim Sterling passe by now?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By EuanDewar
    @Fallen189: My post wasn't aimed at CL60, hence why It wasn't a reply to him. I guess me including "Dude" didn't help but Im a little pissed off right now so Im prone to that sort of thing. It was aimed at the people who would inevitably lose their shit over a beloved game getting such a low score and at the people in the destructoid comments which again the "Dude" probably didnt help. I apologise if I got on anyones nerves. Wasn't my intention.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Romination said:
    Isn't complaining about Jim Sterling passe by now?
    Yeah, but it's still kind of sad how his opinion is relevant to a chunk of people.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Agent47
    @withateethuh: The review is actually really good.The guy does in depth and it is a solid review.I think a 6 is just about right.I just people are too used to dumbass companies like IGN/Gamespot that use 1-10  but what they really mean is 7-shit 8-average 8.5-good 9-great 9+-they paid us money so we HAD to give them a great score!6 means it is above average which is well deserved.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Fallen189 said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

Get the fuck over it.

Whats the point in that? What purpose does that serve? If you're gonna be a passive agressive dickhead, then just don't bother. You should think about what you're going to post before you hit that reply button.
    I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. If my post served no purpose, then the OPs post definitely served no purpose. You really think he wanted a lively discussion from us? He said the game got a 6/10. Then he said 'guess who reviewed it'. That's not really much of a discussion starter. He should be happy he got a bunch of 'Get the fuck over it' responses. Because honestly, I don't know what else we're supposed to talk about in this thread. 
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Vorbis

It's a good read and he makes valid points but as usual the score doesn't reflect the text. His scores have always been a bit "weird" but the actual review is usually good.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By abdo
    @Romination: Saying "passé" is pretty passé too...
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

@Fallen189 said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Get the fuck over it.

I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. If my post served no purpose, then the OPs post definitely served no purpose. You really think he wanted a lively discussion from us? He said the game got a 6/10. Then he said 'guess who reviewed it'. That's not really much of a discussion starter. He should be happy he got a bunch of 'Get the fuck over it' responses. Because honestly, I don't know what else we're supposed to talk about in this thread. 
    The review is what should be talked about... the only reason I put guess who reviewed it, as I said is because Jim rates games low often. Stop taking things so fucking seriously, I haven't even played the game yet and I was curious as to what other people thought of the review.

Get on topic, or leave the topic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.