Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Destructoid Review up. 6/10. Can you guess who reviewed it?

• 188 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By CL60
    @Vorbis said:
    It's a good read and he makes valid points but as usual the score doesn't reflect the text. His scores have always been a bit "weird" but the actual review is usually good.
    Yeah, his reviews usually have good points, but his scores are usually a little wonky.
    thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By thornie_delete

Never played the first, never read the books, not a huge RPG gamer aside from some forays into Elder Scrolls games, and to me it's in the top 5 games I've ever played.  I love how insanely hard the game is (I died 50 times before finally beating the Kayran last night) and I love how my CPU can run it in ultra.  Everything about this games exudes class, from the character models, to the design aesthetic, to the characters themselves.  I don't understand how anyone can objectively score this game any lower than a 9, but then again there are people out there who hate high fantasy (LOTR, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc) and I never really understood that either.  People can have their own opinions, but I honestly feel that hating TW2 is starting to become the gaming community's opportunity to take a jab at PC gamers.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Jimbo

I can see it being a pretty divisive game (just like the first one) and I could just about see somebody genuinely scoring it a 6/10 depending on their taste. 

He's still a cunt though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Azteck
    @waitwhat said:
    No Caption Provided
    This is the best picture I have seen all week.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By endaround

No Sterling doesn't rate games low, he rates games against conventional wisdom either high or low in order to draw attention to himself. 

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By amir90

Could not care less, as I already bought the game, and enjoying it quite well ^^

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By hinderk
    @CL60 said:
    @Vorbis said:
    It's a good read and he makes valid points but as usual the score doesn't reflect the text. His scores have always been a bit "weird" but the actual review is usually good.
    Yeah, his reviews usually have good points, but his scores are usually a little wonky.
    I believe the reason his review scores are slightly lower than other sites is because he is not afraid to use the whole number scale. I've seen sites absolutely trash a game then give it a 7. If a game is bad it deserve a score that reflects that not a 7 which should signify a good game with some problems. I don't particualy like Jim(he a bit of a dick) and I don't always agree with his reviews, but I respect that he is able to give a game the score he thinks it deserves.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58  Edited By FesteringNeon

I'm not even going to give him a cheap "hit" if others are disagreeing.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By abdo
    @endaround said:
    No Sterling doesn't rate games low, he rates games against conventional wisdom either high or low in order to draw attention to himself. 
    Absolutely.
    cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By cyraxible

I respect him because he's very unapologetic about his opinion and generally backs up his opinions but I don't like his purposefully antagonistic way of writing. 

It seems he just wants to rile people up.
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By StrikeALight

Question - for those that have played it, how does it compare to the original?

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By shootermcclay

What's Destructoid? If its not a member of Giant Bomb, then I don't care.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jozzy

I don't think he riles up people as a strategy. He just rates his experience playing the game, and he didn't really enjoy playing it because of some things he percieves as huge flaws. He has a different approach than most reviewers, who take the game as a whole and try to weigh in the graphics, ambition and whatnot. He just plainly looks at the enjoyment he got from it. Giantbomb also sort of does this, but to a lesser extent.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By Video_Game_King

I guessed Jim Sterling, and I was right. Therefore, I am psychic. Bow before me before I mess with your future. Psychics can do that.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

guy dont know his vid games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#66  Edited By Claude
    @StrikeALight said:
    I've only played 9 hours, but it still feels like The Witcher from the original. The art design, the way the characters act, the little conversations from NPCs and the music all make me feel at home to the original.

A lot has changed though. The combat is way different, also, a little harder and the world you run around in seems larger and more open. I just reached the first town and it's big as hell. It's much more open than any town in the first Witcher.

Overall, so far, it's the same Witcher but bigger and badder with a lot more production value. A pretty big leap from the first one.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By ch13696

I don't know why everyone hates Jim Sterling. It's not like he's trying to get page views. He just has a very strong opinion on everything.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Karl_Boss

He made good points and seems like a fair score to give it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Seems like a fair score to me. You actually have to read the review.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By StrikeALight
    @Claude said:
    @StrikeALight said:
    I've only played 9 hours, but it still feels like The Witcher from the original. The art design, the way the characters act, the little conversations from NPCs and the music all make me feel at home to the original. A lot has changed though. The combat is way different, also, a little harder and the world you run around in seems larger and more open. I just reached the first town and it's big as hell. It's much more open than any town in the first Witcher. Overall, so far, it's the same Witcher but bigger and badder with a lot more production value. A pretty big leap from the first one.
    Excellent, sounds awesome. Can't wait to get stuck in!
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Zabant
    No Caption Provided
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kyrieee

It's not that the points he brings up are invalid, but they're exaggerated and he then conveniently brushes over all the great parts about the game.

"I don't think I'd have completed this title, or even bothered playing for more than hour, if I wasn't writing a review."

That says what you need to know. He forced himself to play through it because he was reviewing it. His opinion is certainly not invalid, but with that perspective it's perhaps not very meaningful either. If you have such a negative attitude from the outset you're probably not going to enjoy the good parts of the game because you're already predisposed to disliking it. He brings up kill quests and lack of fast travel. The god damn kill quests aren't even that mundane, there aren't that many of them and they all have a twist, they're not just "kill x of these". As for lack of fast travel, I don't know what to say, I certainly don't think the game needed it, I just think this guy didn't want to play it at all so he got annoyed that he had to play it longer because there was no fast travel.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#73  Edited By killroycantkill

Jim's scores are weird a lot of the time but he always has valid points to back it up. Only thing I notice about him whenever other reviewrs love a game he doesn't like it but when it's a game that people hates he loves it. Not complaining but just noticed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Woah, a lot of unnecessary vitriol in here. @CL60's point holds; Sterling is a contrarian asshole. Obviously, everyone is entitled to an opinion (I've not yet played the game, so I can't corroborate or deny any of his misgivings), but it smacks of his style.

Not to mention that his closing comments are pretty snide, and basically dismissive of the one point which the series is held in high-esteem for; namely, its storytelling.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Claude
    @StrikeALight said:
    @Claude said:
    @StrikeALight said:
    I've only played 9 hours, but it still feels like The Witcher from the original. The art design, the way the characters act, the little conversations from NPCs and the music all make me feel at home to the original. A lot has changed though. The combat is way different, also, a little harder and the world you run around in seems larger and more open. I just reached the first town and it's big as hell. It's much more open than any town in the first Witcher. Overall, so far, it's the same Witcher but bigger and badder with a lot more production value. A pretty big leap from the first one.
    Excellent, sounds awesome. Can't wait to get stuck in!
    I should also point out that the camera is different. Unlike the original, there is only one camera in The Witcher 2. It will draw close or move back automatically according to what you're doing; combat, walking around and so on. Much different than the original and took me a little while to get used to it.
    Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jikla

Is this the same guy who gave ff13 a very low score without even beating it?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By Gabriel

Giving mediocre games, mediocre reviews.

Crazy.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#78  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Jikla said:
    Is this the same guy who gave ff13 a very low score without even beating it?
    I'm pretty sure Sterling beat FFXIII. You might be thinking of similar professional troll Yahtzee, who made a video where he complained about the first 5 hours of FFXIII fully admitting that he wasn't going to play anymore.

In any case, getting incensed about this guy's review score is pointless. Getting incensed about CL60 posting a thread about this review is even more pointless. People shouldn't require the opinions of others to feel secure in their own.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Teran

Quoted from the review:

"  At times, Assassins of Kings is good. Great, even. For the most part though, it's just okay. It does the job and wastes some time, while providing no lasting impression or unforgettable experience. There are just far more fun and intensely more rewarding ways of wasting time."

If the game is good, why did you score it a 6 which is just "alright" according to your rating system?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By RsistncE

You know what, even though I don't like Sterling because of the fact that he's such an obvious troll sometimes, I completely agree with his assessment that if a game forces you to basically wade through a really shitty experience for the first so many hours then it isn't an exceptional experience regardless of how well it recovers later. In my personal and humble opinion, if a game requires you to endure utter mediocrity (or complete and utter shit) for any longer than the first half hour of the game, then it has fundamentally failed to give you any reason to keep playing and loses any sort of recommendation I would give.

I haven't played the Witcher 2 yet so I don't know if the above applies to it, but I'm going to try it out at a friends house first before I throw cash down for it.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Donos

Taking a read though, it looks like Jim does not like the game, therefore it's not very good. I assume we'll hear the argument that a review is just personal opinion, but my expecting more from professionals is the reason I don't go to Destructoid in the first place.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MrOldboy
    @ArbitraryWater: But you need to look at the bigger picture. Sterling gets paid to play and subsequently review games. Because of this people feel he has a responsibility to write objectively. His reviews don't read this way and his scores are often made to an extreme out of spite or to draw attention or to just prove his point. Kane & Lynch 2 (1/10), Deadly Premonition (10/10).  Developers often get paid bonuses based on review scores so I feel reviews and metacritic need to be taken seriously because like it or not the industry has latched on to them and once money is connected to something, people need to get serious.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By Animasta
    @RsistncE said:
    You know what, even though I don't like Sterling because of the fact that he's such an obvious troll sometimes, I completely agree with his assessment that if a game forces you to basically wade through a really shitty experience for the first so many hours then it isn't an exceptional experience regardless of how well it recovers later. In my personal and humble opinion, if a game requires you to endure utter mediocrity (or complete and utter shit) for any longer than the first half hour of the game, then it has fundamentally failed to give you any reason to keep playing and loses any sort of recommendation I would give.

I haven't played the Witcher 2 yet so I don't know if the above applies to it, but I'm going to try it out at a friends house first before I throw cash down for it.
    it really doesn't. The only thing is that it takes a while to understand combat, and the tooltips aren't the best, but they're totally saved in the journal for later reading.

and yep of course jim sterling rates games low because he wants page views.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84  Edited By Seppli
    @CL60:

Sterling Archer wrote it? Or some other obliviously offensive Sterling character. Oh wait. This Sterling's fat. Got to be that obnoxious Jim fellow.

That fucking Brit is a gaping shithole of willful ignorance. Pageview baiting godfather of trolling.

P.S. Maybe I should read his shit first, but I'll take a dump on him first and come back later for seconds.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Scooper
    @KaosAngel said:
    Jim's points are valid though.The game is really hard to play with KB+M
    No it's not. I think the controller is really hard to play this game with, to be honest.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Seppli
    @Seppli said:

@CL60:

Sterling Archer wrote it? Or some other obliviously offensive Sterling character. Oh wait. This Sterling's fat. Got to be that obnoxious Jim fellow.

That fucking Brit is a gaping shithole of willful ignorance. Pageview baiting godfather of trolling.

Maybe I should read his shit first, but I'll take a dump on him first and come back later for seconds.

Just read the review. Agreed with most of his complaints. Guess I just have a much lower standard than him.

Don't get me wrong. I hate his guts regardless. Whenever he pops up in podcasts and such; I can't stand his personality.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Seppli
    @RsistncE said:

The tutorial is hard. Too hard for its purpose. It ain't bad. It's actually outstanding in terms of setting and presentation. Just frustrating. Being of the school of design, wherein you start-off with crippled functionality and 'unlock' basic functionality with character progression, doesn't help either. Basic melee just isn't at a fun place.

This leads to one of its fundamental flaws Jim Sterling rightly points out at length. Challenge is opposed to how it should be. It starts out frustratingly hard and gets gradually easier until it's child's play. More than half of the game is pretty much devoid of challenge. That's not how it should be obviously.

Jim's just needlessly harsh. It's a 6 out of 10 compared to what? That probably only works out in his own rating reality with absurd standards.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Claude
    Pretty good review. I'm only about 9 hours in and all of Jim's points are valid. I had to turn the game down to easy after dying 10 or 15 times in certain battles. And having to meditate to drink a potion is just a stupid design choice. Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.

I'm still having fun. We'll see where the game takes me.
    It's not a stupid design choice. Geralt is the fantasy equivalent of a Ronin - he meditates and prepares himself before battle. Therefore his alchemical aspects are part of those preparations. From a UI perspective this means that players are taught to be a lot more methodical in this game when approaching difficult missions. You know, RPG.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you're going to go out of your way to be a dick why not give it a ridiculously low score to just completely throw off the Metacritic rating.

At least man the fuck up and take it all the way.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By mikemcn

He can say what he wants, but it doesn't change the fact that hes a douche bag. 

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189 said:
    Why are you all being so offensive to CL60 for posting this? He's just sharing it, because it sparks a discussion, and you people get all up in his grill over it, and be needlessly offensive.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves
    lmao
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#93  Edited By ajamafalous

I guessed correctly.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Claude
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude
    Pretty good review. I'm only about 9 hours in and all of Jim's points are valid. I had to turn the game down to easy after dying 10 or 15 times in certain battles. And having to meditate to drink a potion is just a stupid design choice. Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.

It's not a stupid design choice. Geralt is the fantasy equivalent of a Ronin - he meditates and prepares himself before battle. Therefore his alchemical aspects are part of those preparations. From a UI perspective this means that players are taught to be a lot more methodical in this game when approaching difficult missions. You know, RPG.
    No, it means you go into battle, die and then hope you're not around any enemies so you can drink a potion out of a bottle. It's poor implementation if you ask me. I haven't tried to drink a beer yet, I wonder if I have to meditate to drink that too.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Cataphract1014

If you woulda asked me yesterday, I probably would have given it an even lower score, but I am enjoying it much more now.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Totally agree with his gripes about the combat - goes from stupid hard to stupid easy, which is weird - but I don't agree with his points about the narrative and the quests. It's simply wrong, nothing more. The Witcher 2 is a quite excellent game suffering from poor pacing in terms of difficulty. That's it. If I was reviewing it properly I would easily give it a 9/10. You can't deny that the combat is kind of amazing after a while, it looks better then anything ever released, has choices that matter and give proper consequences, a great narrative in the main as well as sidequests, interesting characters that have both varying (in terms of different actors) and great voice actors and that it is fucking huge. 

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I respect Sterling's opinions but I refuse to support him or Destructoid in any way. A troll is a troll.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By xyzygy
    @Claude said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude

No, it means you go into battle, die and then hope you're not around any enemies so you can drink a potion out of a bottle. It's poor implementation if you ask me. I haven't tried to drink a beer yet, I wonder if I have to meditate to drink that too.
    Haven't played the game yet, but I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to NOT die. It sounds to me like potions are mainly used for healing after battles so you'll be ready for the next one, like SeriouslyNow said.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @phrosnite: The combat system doesn't need to be complicated, it is simple and satisfying when you get the hang of it. That's my opinion  
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100  Edited By Animasta
    @xyzygy said:
    @Claude said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude

Haven't played the game yet, but I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to NOT die. It sounds to me like potions are mainly used for healing after battles so you'll be ready for the next one, like SeriouslyNow said.
    no, you regen out of battle pretty fast; you meditate and pop potions before a battle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.