Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Destructoid Review up. 6/10. Can you guess who reviewed it?

• 188 results
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#101  Edited By MildMolasses
    @MrOldboy said:
    too bad, sterling loves to do this. I find his reviews accurate, but to an extreme hyperbole. He tends to focus on a particular fault and overemphasize it because it annoyed him. A valid argument, but you need to review the game holistically, which I feel he tends not to do most of the time.

Why? There is no manual for reviewing games. If he took a great game that had one terrible part (say the blue guys in U2, or the final boss of Bioshock) and felt the need to tear it apart, he is totally within his rights to do so
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#102  Edited By Claude
    @xyzygy said:
    @Claude said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude
    Pretty good review. I'm only about 9 hours in and all of Jim's points are valid. I had to turn the game down to easy after dying 10 or 15 times in certain battles. And having to meditate to drink a potion is just a stupid design choice. Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.

I'm still having fun. We'll see where the game takes me.
    It's not a stupid design choice. Geralt is the fantasy equivalent of a Ronin - he meditates and prepares himself before battle. Therefore his alchemical aspects are part of those preparations. From a UI perspective this means that players are taught to be a lot more methodical in this game when approaching difficult missions. You know, RPG.
    No, it means you go into battle, die and then hope you're not around any enemies so you can drink a potion out of a bottle. It's poor implementation if you ask me. I haven't tried to drink a beer yet, I wonder if I have to meditate to drink that too.
    Haven't played the game yet, but I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to NOT die. It sounds to me like potions are mainly used for healing after battles so you'll be ready for the next one, like SeriouslyNow said.
    There's all kind of potions. Some potions help in battle, some are for healing, some for seeing in the dark and there are other potions for various things. In the original Witcher you could drink a potion at any time, the only fallback was your intoxication level.

In the Witcher 2 you can only drink a potion while away from any enemies and while meditating. If you happen upon a random  battle with no forewarning and it's a tough battle, you can not drink a potion to help you.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand having to meditate to create potions, but I should be able to drink them in real time.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Claude said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude
    Pretty good review. I'm only about 9 hours in and all of Jim's points are valid. I had to turn the game down to easy after dying 10 or 15 times in certain battles. And having to meditate to drink a potion is just a stupid design choice. Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.

It's not a stupid design choice. Geralt is the fantasy equivalent of a Ronin - he meditates and prepares himself before battle. Therefore his alchemical aspects are part of those preparations. From a UI perspective this means that players are taught to be a lot more methodical in this game when approaching difficult missions. You know, RPG.
    No, it means you go into battle, die and then hope you're not around any enemies so you can drink a potion out of a bottle. It's poor implementation if you ask me. I haven't tried to drink a beer yet, I wonder if I have to meditate to drink that too.
    Putting real beer in the same category as fantasy potions which heal you over time, increase your fucking sword damage or protect from magical swamp demon venom is the very definition of stupid.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Claude said:
    @xyzygy said:
    @Claude said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude

Haven't played the game yet, but I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to NOT die. It sounds to me like potions are mainly used for healing after battles so you'll be ready for the next one, like SeriouslyNow said.
    There's all kind of potions. Some potions help in battle, some are for healing, some for seeing in the dark and there are other potions for various things. In the original Witcher you could drink a potion at any time, the only fallback was your intoxication level.In the Witcher 2 you can only drink a potion while away from any enemies and while meditating. If you happen upon a random  battle with no forewarning and it's a tough battle, you can not drink a potion to help you.It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand having to meditate to create potions, but I should be able to drink them in real time.
    Dude, not every game is built on shitty MMO style 'drink pots to heal instantly' gameplay.  Some games, like TW 1 and 2 are smarter and a lot more more methodical than that.  MMO gameplay has no place in a deep single player RPG like TW2. 
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By Bocam
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By greenygrey

Jim Sterling = Armond White of video games.

But I do have to admit, I MOSTLY agreed with his review of Heavy Rain and Final Fantasy XIII.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Claude
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @Claude said:
    There's all kind of potions. Some potions help in battle, some are for healing, some for seeing in the dark and there are other potions for various things. In the original Witcher you could drink a potion at any time, the only fallback was your intoxication level.In the Witcher 2 you can only drink a potion while away from any enemies and while meditating. If you happen upon a random  battle with no forewarning and it's a tough battle, you can not drink a potion to help you.It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand having to meditate to create potions, but I should be able to drink them in real time.
    Dude, not every game is built on shitty MMO style 'drink pots to heal instantly' gameplay.  Some games, like TW 1 and 2 are smarter and a lot more more methodical than that.  MMO gameplay has no place in a deep single player RPG like TW2. 
    I've never played a MMO, but I do know that in the first Witcher you could drink a potion at anytime and like I said, you couldn't just chug potion after potion, because there's an intoxication level.

As for the Witcher 2 it doesn't make sense not to allow you to drink a potion at anytime, the intoxication level is still there. I had this happen during my playtime. Unknowingly happen upon a battle, I can't use any potion because enemies are near. It's a tough battle and I die. I then learn through trial and error to use the potion before the battle, but I've had situations where the game places me back with the enemies near and so, no potion for me. It doesn't make sense and discourages people from trying the alchemy.

It hasn't ruined the game for me. Still liking it, but I just find it to be a stupid design choice. My hope is they patch the ability in. I saw an Elf drink a potion in the game, and he didn't need to meditate to do it.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Bocam said:
    @MrOldboy said:
    Because of this people feel he has a responsibility to write objectively. His reviews don't read this way and his scores are often made to an extreme out of spite or to draw attention or to just prove his point.
    What are you talking about? Jim is the most objective and unbiased game reviewer out there,
    I kind of wish he attached a score to that one, would've been fun.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By lavaman77
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    Good ol' Jimbo be pissing a lot of people off again.
    I don't understand why people get pissed off since Destructoid is not a real review site. it's more of a troll fest than anything else.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By warxsnake

Website dedicated to trolling gives a poor review of a great game. Let's see... scored lower than Dragon Age 2? Disregard. 

He's seriously complaining about the arm-wrestling mechanic? I could not imagine a more simple mechanic to master. Fit your fucking cursor in the slider as it moves left and right. 
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Ertard said:

Totally agree with his gripes about the combat - goes from stupid hard to stupid easy, which is weird - but I don't agree with his points about the narrative and the quests. It's simply wrong, nothing more. The Witcher 2 is a quite excellent game suffering from poor pacing in terms of difficulty. That's it. If I was reviewing it properly I would easily give it a 9/10. You can't deny that the combat is kind of amazing after a while, it looks better then anything ever released, has choices that matter and give proper consequences, a great narrative in the main as well as sidequests, interesting characters that have both varying (in terms of different actors) and great voice actors and that it is fucking huge. 

You are right on.

And he can have whatever opinion he wants, but if he says practically any other video game has a good narrative, I think he looks very silly.  I haven't finished the game yet, but so far Witcher 2 has one of the best realized settings, characters, and plot in any game I've played.

The combat is also excellent IMO.  But hey, some people can't cut it, I understand it is not for everyone.

As for the RPing, I will take the well realized characters and tone of this game over the lifeless tone but openess of say Dragon Age 1 any day.  And I'll take its complex decision making and consequences over the black/white laughably shallow moral choices of games like Infamous or often Fable.

But I stopped going to Destructoid long ago for a reason.  Good riddance.
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By VoshiNova

SIX!? YOUR JOKING!

Nah, but seriously the game does have flaws. Can't help but love it though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By Marz

So gamespot review is up,  Kevin VanOrd gave it a 9.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gametrailers gave it a 9.4 hmmmmm

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By warxsnake
    @ChristianCastillo said:
    Gametrailers gave it a 9.4 hmmmmm
    Of all sites. I'm happy :)
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Oh, Jim you!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By vitor
    @Marz said:
    So gamespot review is up,  Kevin VanOrd gave it a 9.
    Now there's a man who can write good reviews
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By Lautaro

Here we go, now other sites give it higher scores and Sterling is called a troll for having a different opinion. Nothing new to see here folks. For the record I have disagreed with Sterling before but he generally justifies his points well.

TheCheese33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#119  Edited By TheCheese33

I usually can't stand Sterling, but I agree that The Witcher 2 is far from perfect. The game starts out rather poorly, throwing the player in with little exploration into the mechanics that will be constantly saving your rawhide. Furthermore, the ending is a disappointment on so many levels. It feels like half the game was cut out, and important characters and threads from the first two chapters are dumped unceremoniously or tied together poorly.

I really enjoyed the first and second games, but the ending to this one really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By OdinsThunder
    @RsistncE said:

You know what, even though I don't like Sterling because of the fact that he's such an obvious troll sometimes, I completely agree with his assessment that if a game forces you to basically wade through a really shitty experience for the first so many hours then it isn't an exceptional experience regardless of how well it recovers later. In my personal and humble opinion, if a game requires you to endure utter mediocrity (or complete and utter shit) for any longer than the first half hour of the game, then it has fundamentally failed to give you any reason to keep playing and loses any sort of recommendation I would give.

I haven't played the Witcher 2 yet so I don't know if the above applies to it, but I'm going to try it out at a friends house first before I throw cash down for it.

None of that applies, the opening/prologue is perhaps one of the awesome I've played in any game, and then chapter 1 will take your breath away, which is where I'm up to so if it keeps on getting better then I'm in for a treat. Also, it's nowhere near as hard as people are making out. Those complaining about the difficulty are just console playing bandwagon jumpers and can be safely ignored.

Look how much traffic Jim has given his site with that review, the guy is the king of trolls, but hey it brings in the advertising dollars.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121  Edited By Evilsbane

Heh, got about 2 paragraphs in before I had to stop reading that BS, the combat is "Ridiculous" seriously sir grow a pair.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#122  Edited By ventilaator
    @Fallen189 said:
    Giving it a bad review for page views. Is that fat shit even trying anymore?
    I can sort of understand idiots crying rivers over low numbers that Sterling gives, but how the fact that he's fat is somehow always relevant is beyond me.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By SonicFire

Sterling tends to get way too hyperbolic in his reviews, leaving himself open to a lot of valid criticism

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-201752.phtml I have not yet played the game, so I have no opinion on the subject, but Jim has a tendency to rate things low, so how do you feel about the review? Is it a fair representation of the game?
    Jim does not have a tendancy to rate things low, the hell are you talking about? Unless you think anything under an 8 is low.
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By stafax

This is the same guy who gave Dynasty Warriors 6 a 8/10 and Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5/10

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@withateethuh said:
    He is the Master Troll. I can atleast say he usually makes valid points, even if hes a little bit prickish about it.
    I'd say Brad Shoemaker and Ryan Davis are more arrogant than Jim, and a lot more 'prickish' to games they don't like.
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

No one actually has to go to destructoid.  It's pretty easy to ignore them.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By mazik765

Jim Sterling, keeping up his title as the industries leading contrarian.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By habster3

I'd give Okami a 1/10. Scores are a matter of opinion. I don't see the problem here. I like cake.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Lautaro
    @stafax said:
    This is the same guy who gave Dynasty Warriors 6 a 8/10 and Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5/10
    Both views which he justified.
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @abdo said:
    @withateethuh said:
    He is the Master Troll. I can atleast say he usually makes valid points, even if hes a little bit prickish about it.
    More like a third rate troll, definitely not a master. He's small-time.
    Small time? He very smoothly gets fanbois in a panty twisted rage fit every time. I personally liked his review. It seemed to be brutal and honest. Was a 6/10 too harsh? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you view the scale. In the world of everything below an 8 is bad, then yes, its too low. But when you use the full scale, it makes sense.
    SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Does anyone know how he got hired in the first place? Was it for the specific purpose of enraging people and generating traffic? It baffles me that someone would be allowed to be paid to troll so constantly.

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By MrBoBo

Jim Sterling is pretty much always desperately trying to be contraveral and contrarian with almost every artile posted. I assume he wants to be a well known character like Ben Yahtzee or that Nintendo guy.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By zaglis

Why this awful website is still on Metacritic? I mean, he is on purpose abusing it just to get more views on his pathetic website.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#135  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If you don't like their reviews don't read them. And who gives a fuck about some arbitrary number given by a troll it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) change how you feel about the game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CptBedlam
    @zaglis said:

Why this awful website is still on Metacritic? I mean, he on purpose gives unfair numbers just to get more views.

I don't care for Destructoid or Sterling at all but I'm actually glad how they often fuck up metacritic scores. Developers and publishers are relying way too much on these and that is why everything distorting metacritic scores is welcome (Giantbomb as well, btw ... but for different reasons (5 star ratings)).
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#137  Edited By Soap

Good way to spike traffic in your website for a few days.... just saying. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MeierTheRed

Uhhh opinions, gotta love em.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#139  Edited By Tennmuerti

Ah Jim.
    The proffessional troll who managed to get paid for his trolling.
    Pageviews are hard to come by these days I hear.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Tennmuerti said:
    Ah Jim.The proffessional troll who managed to get paid for his trolling.Pageviews are hard to come by these days I hear.
    But its quite amazing that Destructoid actually hired a monkey to do reviews, i think its a first in the industry. It must cost them a lof of bananas.
    omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#141  Edited By omghisam

If another Jim Sterling thread makes it 10 pages, I'm going to post the largest eyeroll.gif Giantbomb has ever seen. Be aware!

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Edwardryu

who cares? he is not even professional gaming reviewer anyway. no matter what he blah, blah, blah, all about his complaining. he has no idea how to create game. just criticizing any damn game is easy for everybody. if I have a wrod to him, I say 'shut the fuck up, you ruin my dinner'.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By toowalrus

No, I can't guess, because I can't name ANY of the personalities at Destructoid.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By GoofyGoober

Meh one mans opinion is anothers nerd rage.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#145  Edited By tebbit
    @Claude said:
    Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.
    That has been the way for high-definition games for a while now, although maybe not on the PC. The first time I set up my playstation on a 19" CRT I was saddened, but not shocked.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Claude
    @Tebbit said:
    @Claude said:
    Also, anyone playing on a 4:3 monitor has to play the game in letterbox. That's weird.
    That has been the way for high-definition games for a while now, although maybe not on the PC. The first time I set up my playstation on a 19" CRT I was saddened, but not shocked.
    I would say this is the first time playing a PC game that I'm forced to use letterbox. I've played older PC games on my laptop and they don't support the resolution of my widescreen. But that's about it.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Jim's great.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By WEGGLES

Hard to take Sterling serious. He obviously thrives on attention. 

Stop feeding the troll.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By cnlmullen

It upsets me that it upsets people that some guy has a different opinion than their own about a game. 

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Liber

I fucking hate this guy , I saw his videos the Escapist and I think he is just a dick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.