Tribes: Ascend Announced For XBLA, PC

• 95 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Hi-Rez Studios, the dudes behind Global Agenda and that large, more MMO-like Tribes title dubbed Tribes: Universe, will be cutting its teeth on a much smaller Tribes project before it moves on to Universe. The studio has announced a downloadable offering called Tribes: Ascend for release on both Xbox Live Arcade and PC in 2011. We don't know much about it other than it's being positioned as a multiplayer-exclusive shooter, which is kinda a given considering this is a Tribes game.

As you’ll see in the footage below, Hi-Rez isn’t backing away from the praise that Tribes titles have received over the years. You still remember Tribes 2, right? Yeah, that was a good'n. 

“Before Halo, before Modern Warfare, and before Battlefield, there was Tribes,” Hi-Rez’s COO Todd Harris said, according to PC Gamer. “Tribes fans appreciate the game’s essence--athletic FPS combat combined with teamwork and strategy.” 

“As we began development of Tribes Universe, we focused first on capturing that essence--refining and modernizing iconic elements like jetpacks, skiing, and vehicles,” Harris continued in his statement. “We’ve had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multi-player shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game,” he added, boldly.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Hi-Rez Studios, the dudes behind Global Agenda and that large, more MMO-like Tribes title dubbed Tribes: Universe, will be cutting its teeth on a much smaller Tribes project before it moves on to Universe. The studio has announced a downloadable offering called Tribes: Ascend for release on both Xbox Live Arcade and PC in 2011. We don't know much about it other than it's being positioned as a multiplayer-exclusive shooter, which is kinda a given considering this is a Tribes game.

As you’ll see in the footage below, Hi-Rez isn’t backing away from the praise that Tribes titles have received over the years. You still remember Tribes 2, right? Yeah, that was a good'n. 

“Before Halo, before Modern Warfare, and before Battlefield, there was Tribes,” Hi-Rez’s COO Todd Harris said, according to PC Gamer. “Tribes fans appreciate the game’s essence--athletic FPS combat combined with teamwork and strategy.” 

“As we began development of Tribes Universe, we focused first on capturing that essence--refining and modernizing iconic elements like jetpacks, skiing, and vehicles,” Harris continued in his statement. “We’ve had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multi-player shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game,” he added, boldly.
#2 Edited by Helushune (215 posts) -

Sierra/Dynamix tried this once and it was bad.  I hope Hi-Rez makes it great.  I really wish the trailer showed off more than just a pre-rendered model though. 

EDIT: 
I have an intense love for the Tribes franchise and I'm a tad wary of Hi-Rez taking it over.  It can't be any worse than Tribes: Vengeance, right?

#3 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#4 Posted by nood1eboy (14 posts) -

Wow
#5 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

Urgh... Tribes 2 was my favorite online shooter of all time... but I can't imagine this will be anywhere near as good.

It'll be made with Xbox limitations and dual analog controls in consideration, and Hi-Rez's track record is spotty.

#6 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@Helushune:  Hi-Rez are pretty up-and-coming, and Global Agenda was not exactly what most people would describe as "great". Hope they put more effort into this Tribes business (until they prove me wrong though, I'd say don't get your hopes up).
#7 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

OH MY GOD THIS IS A TRAVESTY.

Cool.

#8 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -

Right. They don't mix. This hopefully will be a PC game. Tribes is the best multiplayer shooter for the PC, and still has a community after over 10 years. The game is also free now. Google "Tribes free" and i think CNET has it.

#9 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

YES.

#10 Posted by Dunchad (494 posts) -

Shazbot.
#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

It just hit me that Tribes did the Battlefield thing before Battlefield even came out. Vehicles and infantry, great player counts, huge maps, objectives.

So.. how do we transfer Tribes IP ownership to EA so EA can arrange for a proper Tribes to be made using the BF3 iteration of Frostbite..?

#12 Posted by JoeRosa (89 posts) -

Just what the doctor ordered.

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Global Agenda is shooting off some red flags in my head that indicate this might not be the best studio for the game.  

But I'll be a good boy and reserve my judgement until I play it. There is an empty hole in my heart where Starsiege Tribes used to be. 

#14 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

FPS skiing comes to XBLA

#15 Posted by Cmdc00kie (46 posts) -

Epic rock paper scissor battle at the end. 

#16 Posted by SnakeEyes327 (334 posts) -

I was thinking to myself a few days ago "Man, there really needs to be a new Tribes game" and here it is. Now where's that MechWarrior game you fuckers teased!?

#17 Posted by Lanechanger (477 posts) -

Wow, good to see so many old school tribes fans.  I thought I was part of a dying breed that remembered one of the earliest and greatest multiplayer shooters, I loved all the crazy mods, especially the ones where you just built stuff... ahhh, those were the days.
#18 Posted by 1337W422102 (1011 posts) -
@somejerk said:
" It just hit me that Tribes did the Battlefield thing before Battlefield even came out. Vehicles and infantry, great player counts, huge maps, objectives.  So.. how do we transfer Tribes IP ownership to EA so EA can arrange for a proper Tribes to be made using the BF3 iteration of Frostbite..? "
>EA
>transfer Tribes IP ownership
>proper Tribes
This is comedy gold, right here.
#19 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

HOLY SHAZBOT!

#20 Edited by Ravey (330 posts) -
@somejerk said:

" It just hit me that Tribes did the Battlefield thing before Battlefield even came out. "

Codename Eagle was Battlefield before Battlefield. :-)

#21 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

Good to see Tribes is coming back.  I wish this was going to be on the PSN as well.  I had a lot of fun with Tribes: Vengeance back on the PS2.

#22 Posted by DirtyEagles (274 posts) -

brings back memories of dial-up internet

#23 Edited by Fascism (148 posts) -
@somejerk said:

So.. how do we transfer Tribes IP ownership to EA so EA can arrange for a proper Tribes to be made using the BF3 iteration of Frostbite..? "

lolz
#24 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

well if they are talking about all of the good praise they got, they better live up to expectations...

#25 Posted by This_Dude (295 posts) -

I'll have to chat with one of my friends who works at Hi-Rez to see if he's on the project.   If so,  I'm requesting the grappling hook and swinging mechanics to make a return.

#26 Posted by KeepThisKoupon (94 posts) -

Wait? There was shooters before Halo?

#27 Posted by MacEG (254 posts) -

SHAZBOT!

#28 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

I actually live only about 20miles form this studio, the High-rez guys got shafted with Global Agenda, as an old tribes fan I look forward to what they do with this franchise.

#29 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Battlefield 2142 tried to be a new Tribes, but too many asshats shit on it for the in-game adverts and that it wasn't BF 3.  Maybe if they actually played it instead of bitched it would have gotten more support instead of being a footnote in the BF series.

#30 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

Epic teaser :)
#31 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@This_Dude said:
" I'll have to chat with one of my friends who works at Hi-Rez to see if he's on the project.   If so,  I'm requesting the grappling hook and swinging mechanics to make a return. "
And what makes you think that your friend will listen to you and pass that request to the senior designers up at Hi-Rez? 
#32 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Reading about Tribes and PC Gamer makes me question which decade we are living in now.

#34 Posted by Semi_Sauce (36 posts) -
@Dunchad About time was looking through comments for that one.
#35 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Vanilla Tribes was great, but I'll hold off until a paintball mod is released. Tribes 2 paintball was some of the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer shooter. 

#36 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -

Yes, yes, and before Starsiege: Tribes, there was Starsiege, and before that, there was Earthsiege. If they really wanted to revive an old franchise, why did they pick a first-person shooter? Why not pick a currently uncontested genre like mech combat or a space sim?

#37 Posted by ballsnbayonets (156 posts) -

lol way to mix halo theme music and mass effect

#38 Posted by notha (239 posts) -
@Helushune: after playing global agenda, i have full confidence in hi-rez pulling this off. global seems inspired by tribes so much, and the flying and everything works beautifully.  

so i'm thinking its global agenda with big landscapes and skiing, and i almost shit myself thinking about how much fun it will be.
#39 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -
@ZeroCast said:
" @This_Dude said:
" I'll have to chat with one of my friends who works at Hi-Rez to see if he's on the project.   If so,  I'm requesting the grappling hook and swinging mechanics to make a return. "
And what makes you think that your friend will listen to you and pass that request to the senior designers up at Hi-Rez?  "
He clearly just states that he is going to make a request.  He did not say that they would listen or even pass it on.

On Topic:  This sounds like it could be cool, I'm really liking the xbla titles of late.
#40 Posted by Xtacles (44 posts) -
@Helushune: 
It cant be worse then Vengeance...I hope, I don't think the console version will be that great though. Tribes: Aerial Assault was quite a bit slower then Tribes 2 was. I am also worried how there was no mention of mods as that was a big part of Tribes.

@GetWhatYagive:
You mean Tribes: Aerial Assault not Vengeance, which was a dud of a PC exclusive. Aerial Assault was based more on Tribes 2, just without the mods and was quite a bit slower. It also had the benefit of being one of the few early FPS on the PS2 that could be played online. I'm not sure but I think it was one of the few that would work with 56k.
#41 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

"  Wait, Tribes and a controller don't mix, right?" 

Not this shit again. 

#42 Posted by Delta_Ass (3279 posts) -
@ZeroCast said:
" @This_Dude said:
And what makes you think that your friend will listen to you and pass that request to the senior designers up at Hi-Rez?  "
Maybe his friend is the senior designer?
#43 Posted by Kimozabi (43 posts) -

Talk about hoping that nostalgia keeps your game relevant.

#44 Posted by logson (521 posts) -

Shazbot! 
I was a Tribes purist (ass) that believed Tribes 2 ruined a lot of what made the original so great. I think I've been out of the club for long enough to let me guard down; I'm excited.

#45 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

the thing I remember most about Tribes 2 is all of the insane weapon and armor mods that came out for it, such that when I went back to an unmodded game, I felt kind of limited with the weapon selection

#46 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I like video games, right?

#47 Posted by Winsord (1225 posts) -

Tribes and a controller can work; it was great on PS2 back in the day.

#48 Posted by ThePantheon (727 posts) -

TRIBES 1: SHIFTER MOD.

AM I RIGHT GUYS?

you fuckin' bet it.

#49 Edited by Roros (19 posts) -

Keep in mind that this game is separate from the upcoming Tribes Universe from the same guys, which I believe is a PC exclusive. I'm guessing the idea behind putting Ascend on xbla is to create a playerbase for the MMO when it launches.

#50 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -
@Xtacles: 
You're right.  Aerial Assault was the one I was thinking of.  I picked the game up for about $15 back on the PS2 and played it a decent amount.  I always liked sneaking into the enemy bases and destroying the batteries (if that's what they were called) that would power everything.  Also liked going around and repairing things too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.